Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

Episode 5x09 'With All My Heart' discussion thread

boom-moo

[21]Dec 1, 2012
    • level: 75
    Arthur says that he is happy that Mordred was there because without him "I fear that I would have lost my arm at the very list". Then Merlin says that he would have woken. Arthur replies that if he had to rely on Merlin's timekeeping "I'd have lost both my arms and my legs to boot".
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

PenguinSuzie

[22]Dec 2, 2012
    • level: 10

While I enjoyed it, it was far from my favourite of even this season. I feel a little insulted that it's been implied you don't even really like the show if you don't love this episode.

I didn't even realize that Merlin had been on. So I was eager to watch it on iPlayer. Though excuse my language the player was acting like a little bitch and pausing and skipping and stuff -.-.

Cons
    -I was frustrated right off the bat that Arthur was there all of a sudden without any explanation for how Merlin got him there, what he said to trick him or if he didn't then how he managed to make Arthur suspect her. I know it's not a big deal and in other shows it wouldn't bother me that such a moment/scene was missed but it really stands out in this show because they often skip over things/reactions and character stuff in favor of more of the adventure/drama. I hope that makes sense, I had to edit this pretty fast since I'm about to have a bagel *random information*.
    -I don't see how Morgana knows as much about the old religion as the Dochraid or how she knows so much.
    -I disliked how the Dochraid claimed that Emrys was no friend of the old religion even though she knew who he was. How the way she spoke implied that the only person who'd ever do or try to do any good for their kind was Morgana.
    -The water scene while sweet was so cheesy that it was kind of awkward, and I'm someone who loves cheesy stuff but it made me slightly uncomfortable. I almost wanted to laugh. It was very cute and sweet though.

Pros
    -I liked how clever Gwen was in getting rid of Percival.
    -I enjoyed the scene with Gwen and Arthur when he knew the truth.
    -I like how most of the major players in the old religion have been women.
    -I love how casually Merlin downed the aging potion before entering the Dochraid's cave. I don't know why but I liked how casual it was.
    -Loved dramatic Dragoon. LOL Merlin nicked Excalibur from Arthur, I doubt Arthur even noticed, or Merlin left to clean it or something .
    -It's cool to see a character like the Dochraid again.
    -I liked that Mordred realized that Merlin didn't trust him. I sort of love Mordred. He's very smart and observant and at this point I think he is genuine in his affection for Camelot and his loyalty to Arthur. I like that he really respects Merlin, and not just because of his power or legend.
    -It was really funny.
    -I liked that Mordred was lying and playing Morgana when he said he wasn't as powerful as her. It really is a little worrying how much of a natural liar he is, how amazingly good he is at it.
    -I really liked the general storyline. It was all very good.
    -There were lots of moments that I really enjoyed.
    -Dolma was really funny. That long awkward pause before Gaius said 'women'.
    -Gwen in the wheelbarrow was funny and Gwaine being sensitive about 'Timothy' was nice.

The parallels between Mordred and Merlin's destinies are so sad!

Over all I was a bit disappointed but really like it. It wasn't a favourite though.

So many edits. Bagel numero 2.

Edited on 12/02/2012 3:07am
    Edited 7 total times.

XyFan

[23]Dec 2, 2012
    • level: 4

I LOVED THIS EPISODE. It was soo funny. I laughed out loud so many times my relatives thought i was going crazy. The moment when Merlin dropped the dress.. i thought he was done for. And disguising Emrys into a woman.. flawless.. And how could Arthur dare to forget Merlin in the end? ahaha such a shame!!

What i really loved was that Arthur actually, for once, KNEW what was going on. I loved that team-up!

About Mordred. I think Merlin actually will cause that what Mordred is about to do with Arthur. Merlin shouldn't ignore Mordred like that. Its sad but it will make story more interesting.

Also has Mordred forgot how to use head-talk? he used it alot when he was little. And Merlin knows how to head-talk as well. Instead of talking normally i would have LOVED to see them use head-talk instead. Why didnt they do it?

Anyway, this episode was one of the best of this season. Really

Edited on 12/02/2012 6:29am

boom-moo

[24]Dec 2, 2012
    From Alex Vlahos twitter:

"So, if you haven't already guessed - it was the last scene by the lake. Could NOT keep a straight face. Bravo, Mr. Morgan for that."

Lol I had totally noticed it so it made my day. Check at 40'50-40'55. Colin/Dolma, who has been talking to Arthur, looks at Mordred for some reason, makes a face and looks back to Arthur. When the camera focus on Mordred (and Gwen), Alex is totally cracking up, which I guess is the reason why Colin/Dolma made the face. They could hardly keep a straight face

illegalferret

[25]Dec 2, 2012
    • level: 25

Oh i cracked up last night laughing at Merlin doing the campest woman ever seen in Camelot, no the world! It was just so funny, myself and my family could barely breathe for laughing so much!

I thought the whole thing was wonderful A proper Merlin episode, very funny parts, scary parts, plenty of magic, intrigue and love, what more could you want! (baring a magical reveal, but now i'm just getting picky) I was thrilled that Merlin had actually told Arthur that something was up with Guinevere, and that they plotted together with Gaius to save her. Watching them all stare at her at dinner was another very funny moment!

Mordred is still a mystery, but i'm now sure that at this moment in time he's very much on the side of Merlin and Arthur. Whether he stays on this side remains to be seen! Oh and i'm very happy to see him use magic I was beginning to get the impression that the TPTB at forgotten that he had magic! I just get the feeling that it's all going to go wrong for Mordred and that if Merlin made more of an effort to be his friend, things may end better.

Arthur is so sweet when it comes to Guinevere, i like how he was determined to try and save her, even breaking his own decry. Their relationship isn't an obviously romantic one (barely kiss each other for example) but instead what comes across to me at least, is that they very much love each other, care for each and that comes across without the need to snog each other all the time.

Things are getting very interesting in Camelot now, Morgana is puppetless, Mordred is still good and Merlin is slowly prepping Arthur to return magic to Camelot, the final 4 episodes are going to be very interesting indeed.

boom-moo

[26]Dec 2, 2012
    Episode 5x09 magic and spells:
    -Merlin uses an ageing potion to turn into Emrys.
    -The Dochraid makes a dagger fly Emry’s way (using a spell).
    -Emrys freezes the dagger in the air and diverts its trajectory.
    -The Dochraid chants a spell.
    -Merlin can feel that they are being watched (Mordre’s presence).
    -The Dochraid sends a raven out using a spell.
    -Merlin stops Aithusa’s attack with a Dragonlord spell.
    -Morgana blasts Merlin and Mordred against the ground using her mind.
    -Mordred blasts Morgana against the ground using his mind.
    -Dolma awakes Gwen with a spell.
    -Dolma lifts the enchantment on Gwen using a spell.

PenguinSuzie

[27]Dec 2, 2012

boom-moo wrote:
    It felt a bit rushed but I liked it that Arthur made Gwen go to the one place that was only theirs, a very unique and private memory to cling to for sanity
    I think Merlin was actually there during that, at least for the initial engagement.

Even though he's practically there all the time the characters often don't seem to remember that he's involved in stuff. Arthur especially. I thought it was sad that Arthur immediately overlooked Merlin and how even in this episode he was at his side no questions asked, yet despite that and even just thinking of things from Arthur's perspective he should really appreciate his help and support a LOT more, even not actually knowing about the big stuff.

Edited on 12/02/2012 8:15am

boom-moo

[28]Dec 2, 2012
    PenguinSuzie wrote:

boom-moo wrote:
    It felt a bit rushed but I liked it that Arthur made Gwen go to the one place that was only theirs, a very unique and private memory to cling to for sanity
    I think Merlin was actually there during that, at least for the initial engagement.
    Yeah, he was eavesdropping in the 4x09 one although A/G didn't know that but they ended up using the 2nd one, the moment from 4x13 and in that occasion it was just A/G.

I really like the idea of Arthur being the only one who can think of and reach the one part of Gwen that has remained untouched by the evil of Morgana and that remains true: her love for him. I like the concept more so than the execution. It's another instance of true love overpowering magic but differnt to what we have seen before (genuine tears, a true love kiss). Even when Arthur didn't trust in Gwen, when he cast her away, when they were apart and their engagement broken they remained as truthful to each other and as in love with each other as they'd been before. Both have had to risk much to see that relationship through so I really liked that the memory of a private moment that is only theirs would be the only powerful enough thing to make her cling to her sanity and out of the enchantment.
    PenguinSuzie wrote:
    Even though he's practically there all the time the characters often don't seem to remember that he's involved in stuff. Arthur especially. I thought it was sad that Arthur immediately overlooked Merlin and how even in this episode he was at his side no questions asked, yet despite that and even just thinking of things from Arthur's perspective he should really appreciate his help and support a LOT more, even not actually knowing about the big stuff.
    Yeah but what's new, right? Arthur was ready to leave until Dolma reminded him that Merlin was missing. TPTB's humour...

dpebbleson

[29]Dec 2, 2012
    • level: 23
    This was a rather humorous episode, even if some of the humour was somewhat misplaced like the one at the very end with Arthur forgetting Merlin, which is, well, funny in another way...

Indeed the episode had a little of something. But what I've also noticed is that this show works the best when only Merlin and Arthur are at the focus, because their interaction is always the funniest and most interesting. It reminded me somewhat of the 'Labyrinth of Gedref'. I wish we had more episodes like that.

I liked Morgana in this one. She still seems to have some 'normal' feelings left, as she clearly reacted Mordred's trick. On the other hand, Mordred emerged as even worse. He may be genuinely devoted to Camelot, but he uses deception - 'uses the Ring against Sauron', so to speak

The scene with restoring Guinevere to her old self reminded me so much of that Andersen's fairy tale in which Kay (or Kai...) is enchanted by the Snow Queen, and the little part of the mirror still in his eyes needs to be removed for him to become himself again. I agree that the scene was rushed, maybe if we saw more of Guinevere being openly dark side towards Arthur it would have been better.

Of course, Merlin as Dolma was hilarious, and C.M. again emerges as a terrific actor. However, Dolma's words about Arthur realizing the true merit of his closest allies wasn't so interesting. Why not give as the realization instead of repeating the same words for practically five seasons?

All in all, a solid episode, lots of good laughs, and some development as well.

No Smirks of Doom here, nor Premonitory Dreams.

boom-moo

[30]Dec 2, 2012
    Thanks DaNko

Fashion:

Merlin:
    -Blue shirt, red scarf and brown jacket (day 1).
    -Blue shirt and red scarf (day 2).
    -Blue shirt, red scarf and brown jacket.
    -Maroon robe (as Emrys).
    -Blue shirt, red scarf and brown jacket.
    -Blue shirt, red scarf and brown jacket with Dolma’s dress on top.
    -Blue shirt, red scarf and brown jacket (day 3).
    -Blue shirt, red scarf and brown jacket (day 4).
    -Blue shirt and red scarf and Dolma’s skirt.
    -Dolma.
    -Blue shirt and red scarf.

Arthur:
    -Red padded shirt and chainmail (day 1).
    -White shirt (day 2).
    -Red padded shirt and chainmail (day 3).
    -Red padded shirt and chainmail (day 4).

Morgana:
    -Black dress and black cloak (day 1).
    -Black dress and black cloak (day 3).
    -Black dress and black cloak (day 4).

Gwen:
    -Black dress and purple cloak (day 1).
    -Blue dress (day 2, 3, 4).

Gaius:
    -Maroon robe (day 2).

PenguinSuzie

[31]Dec 4, 2012

dpebbleson wrote:
    I liked Morgana in this one. She still seems to have some 'normal' feelings left, as she clearly reacted Mordred's trick. On the other hand, Mordred emerged as even worse. He may be genuinely devoted to Camelot, but he uses deception - 'uses the Ring against Sauron', so to speak
    It was nice to see some sort of emotion from Morgana and a bit of hesitation about hurting someone. I'm not sure what you meant that it made Mordred seem even darker. Do you mean because of how he caught on to Arthur and followed him, how sneaky he was? Or how he lied to Morgana and tricked her or that? I do think that for the moment his loyalty is genuine, but that it will only make it that much worse when/if he turns. I don't really blame him for blasting Morgana as she was trying to kill him. I also really liked that he protected Merlin and his identity from her.

Edited on 12/04/2012 2:33am

dpebbleson

[32]Dec 4, 2012
    PenguinSuzie wrote:

dpebbleson wrote:
    It was nice to see some sort of emotion from Morgana and a bit of hesitation about hurting someone. I'm not sure what you meant that it made Mordred seem even darker. Do you mean because of how he caught on to Arthur and followed him, how sneaky he was? Or how he lied to Morgana and tricked her or that? I do think that for the moment his loyalty is genuine, but that it will only make it that much worse when/if he turns. I don't really blame him for blasting Morgana as she was trying to kill him. I also really liked that he protected Merlin and his identity from her.

I was referring to the fact that he tricked Morgana with display of 'genuine emotion' and then almost ruthlessly attacked her. Not that she didn't deserve it, and certainly it was necessary to keep her at bay. But he did seem very sincere and honest to her, which means that at one point he might use the same degree of 'honesty' and 'sincerity' with Arthur or Merlin or the knights of the round table.

And yeah, he was also sneaky following them there. He wants to participate so much in everything, that it will turn out to be his doom. They have accepted him, but he is overzealous, and will probably be the more disappointed the more he gets involved in the whole thing.

I also liked how he protected Merlin. He clearly knows Merlin is Emrys, and has known it for years.

illegalferret

[33]Dec 4, 2012

dpebbleson wrote:
    I also liked how he protected Merlin. He clearly knows Merlin is Emrys, and has known it for years.

He called Merlin Emrys at the end of The Beginning of the end" when he wants Merlin to come rescue him and Arthur from the tunnel under the castle

dpebbleson

[34]Dec 4, 2012
    illegalferret wrote:

dpebbleson wrote:

He called Merlin Emrys at the end of The Beginning of the end" when he wants Merlin to come rescue him and Arthur from the tunnel under the castle

Yeah, I remember, though obviously I wrote it as if it's my conclusion I'm not that smart, I guess Anyways, his response to Morgana was so well played that for a moment I had to think whether I imagined the whole scene in "The Beginning of the End".

illegalferret

[35]Dec 4, 2012

dpebbleson wrote:
    illegalferret wrote:

dpebbleson wrote:

Yeah, I remember, though obviously I wrote it as if it's my conclusion I'm not that smart, I guess Anyways, his response to Morgana was so well played that for a moment I had to think whether I imagined the whole scene in "The Beginning of the End".

I did think it was odd that you'd forgotten I agree the whole scene between Mordred and Morgana was very well played. Morgana still caring towards Mordred despite him nearly killing her and than Mordred refusing to divulge who Emrys is than blasting her away old school Mordred way was sudden but well done.

boom-moo

[36]Dec 4, 2012
    What Arthur says about magic:
    -If he agrees to fight sorcery with sorcery he’d be breaking his own decrees.
    -Gaius told him before that Arthur could trust a sorcerer upon his life and his father ended up dying in the hands of such a man. He wants to be sure that it’ll be different this time.
    -He understands that the kind sorcery about to be done to unenchant Gwen might go wrong and she would be lost forever.
    -He reckons that sorcery has saved Gwen but adds that it was sorcery too that bewitched her
    -He gives his word to Dolma that he will remember that “there is no evil in sorcery,only in the hearts of men.”

PenguinSuzie

[37]Dec 4, 2012

dpebbleson wrote:
    I was referring to the fact that he tricked Morgana with display of 'genuine emotion' and then almost ruthlessly attacked her. Not that she didn't deserve it, and certainly it was necessary to keep her at bay. But he did seem very sincere and honest to her, which means that at one point he might use the same degree of 'honesty' and 'sincerity' with Arthur or Merlin or the knights of the round table.

And yeah, he was also sneaky following them there. He wants to participate so much in everything, that it will turn out to be his doom. They have accepted him, but he is overzealous, and will probably be the more disappointed the more he gets involved in the whole thing.

I agree. He was very convincing, he's such a good and natural liar that it's scary. The closer they get to him the harder it'll hurt when it falls down.

I think Mordred actually called Merlin 'Emrys' before the tunnel.

Edited on 12/04/2012 5:16am
    Edited 2 total times.

boom-moo

[38]Dec 4, 2012
    PenguinSuzie wrote:

I think Mordred actually called Merlin 'Emrys' before the tunnel.

I think he called him Emrys telephatically when hiding in the courtyard at the beginning of the episode.

Arthur and Gwen moments:
    [Enchanted Gwen]
    -“If I lose her, I lose everything”.
    -He is hurt and heartbroken around her after realizing that she is under a enchantment.
    -He accepts to go against his own decree and use magic to save Gwen.
    -He insists that the sorcerer must be trustworthy so it the outcome is not the same as when he agreed to use magic to heal Uther.
    -“I’m your wife, Arthur. I wouldn’t see you hurt for the world”.
    -“I love you Guinevere more than you can imagine. There isn’t anything I would not do for you” He hugs her tightly.
    -He is not very happy to see Gwen carted away in a wheelbarrow “She’s still a queen!”
    -He is very careful when he places Gwen in the wheelbarrow.
    -If merlin drops Gwen he will lose his head.
    -“She looks so innocent, so perfect.”
    -Arthur wouldn’t let Merlin carry Gwen in his arms for fear that he drops her.
    -When Mordred arrives Arthur asks him to check on Guinevere first.
    -Arthur wants to administrate the Belladona drops to Gwen himself.
    -Arthur protects Gwen form Aithusa’s attack with his body and runs to put her to safety.
    -“Not long now my love.” He mutters sweet words to her when he waits for Dolma to appear.
    -“My Guinevere. You loved me once and still do”.
    -He doesn’t believe Gwen’s hurtful words so he lets her go.
    -“Look at me. Tell me you don't love me”.
    -He thinks of the one part of Gwen that has remained untouched by the evil of Morgana and that remains true: her love for him. He reaches it by reminding her of the worlds she told him when he asked her to marry him: “Do you remember when I asked you to marry me? Do you remember what you said? You said: with all my heart. That's what you said, Guinevere. That was no subterfuge. No trickery. With all my heart."
    -Those words trigger Gwen’s sanity and she repeats them.
    -Arthur gets into the lake repeating those words once and again, tends his arm to her and she follows him.
    -[Unenchanted Gwen]
    -Once the enchantment is lifted from her, she extends her arm towards him, he walks over to her and they hug tightly.
    -They keep their arm around each other when they are out of the lake.
    -They ride back to Camelot in the same horse.
    Edited on 12/04/2012 3:19pm

yafu2

[39]Dec 4, 2012
    • level: 4

Mordred called him Emrys for the first time telepathically when he was trying to heal his arm. It was the first time Merlin had been called that and he went and asked the Dragon about it. Mordred has referred to him as nothing but Emrys until episode 5 in the Dasir when he called him Merlin. In Episode 2 of Season 5 he said "You fear me Emyrs don't you." So Mordred absolutely knows that Merlin is Emrys.

Edited on 12/04/2012 5:42pm

boom-moo

[40]Dec 5, 2012
    Merlin and Great Dragon meetings:
    -None.

Great Dragon's riddles:
    -None.

Aithusa meetings:
    -Morgana (4 so far) where she asks Aithusa for help
    -Arthur (2 so far), Merlin (3 so far), Mordred (1 so far) (Unconscious Gwen, 1 so far) where Aithusa attacks them.
    -Merlin (4 so far) where he uses his Dragonlord speech to stop her attack.

What do you guys think about Merlin's chitchat with Aithusa? Did he just manage to keep her at bay for the time being or there was something else in his Dragonlord speech that might make the dragon start to question her allegiances?