BBC (ended 2012)

Episode 5x11 'The Drawing of the Dark' discussion thread

dpebbleson

[41]Dec 16, 2012
    • level: 23
    XyFan wrote:

boom-moo wrote:
    XyFan wrote:
    I feel so sorry for Mordred, right now it is exactly that he is a good guy, but he has his reasons to be on Morgana's side. If same thing had happened to me i'd have done the same. I'd be so disappointed in Arthur and Merlin as well. I think we all can understand his reasons.
    I understand his reasons but I can't call him a good guy any longer. If he would have helped her escape and he would have stayed behind (which is what Merlin tried to accomplish) that would have been a different story, man-ing up and facing his decision like he did when he confessed to Arthur about having healed her. I totally see how he couldn't let her be killed, but siding with her is as much as siding with Morgana just because. Kara is a confessed murderer of innocent people, repentanceless, blind with hatred ("casualties of war", "Camelot soldiers") and yet Mordred decided to go with her. Arthur and Merlin don't stand in the wrong side of his argument to me.

Maybe Mordred had stayed on Merlin and Arthur's side if he had known that Arthur gave Kara a chance. Unless Mordred used some kind of superhearing he probably thought that Arthur let her hanged without any chance to stay alive whatsoever, making Arthur kind of ''coldhearted'' to Mordred's eyes. That actually makes a lot difference, in my opinion.

But yes it was quite foolish to follow Kara, but i guess he coudnt abandon childhood friend that easily.

But that's actually the cause of much tragedy, right? The misunderstanding. If only everything was explained, if Merlin could tell his secret, or if he could tell Mordred about his destiny to kill Arthur, if only Morgana was able to practice magic freely, if only Merlin could have spent more time with his father. All these are, of course, thoroughly sad, unnerving and sometimes irritating, but they do produce tragedy. In the end, the point of this show is to tell some story, and if everything worked well, it wouldn't be much of a story, I suppose.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

boom-moo

[42]Dec 16, 2012
    • level: 75
    XyFan wrote:

Maybe Mordred had stayed on Merlin and Arthur's side if he had known that Arthur gave Kara a chance. Unless Mordred used some kind of superhearing he probably thought that Arthur let her hanged without any chance to stay alive whatsoever, making Arthur kind of ''coldhearted'' to Mordred's eyes. That actually makes a lot difference, in my opinion.

But yes it was quite foolish to follow Kara, but i guess he coudnt abandon childhood friend that easily.

Yes, it makes a lot of difference indeed but I take it that if he would have stayed he would have known the whole truth about it and maybe he would have seen things differently overtime. Not that he would have stopped hurting but at least he might have stopped trashing Merlin over his lovesickness and if anything, he would have seen that Arthur was fair.

ACDiNosey

[43]Dec 18, 2012
    • level: 28
    I'm late as usual, but here's my two-pence's worth for all it matters: It strikes me that all characters did what they thought was best. Arthur was trying to protect his kingdom, and actually showed how much he cared for Mordred by trying to let Kara go free.
    Merlin was trying to keep Mordred close at hand
    Mordred was trying to save Kara (again, going to great lengths acknowledging his guilt to Arthur, which is quite ballsy if you ask me)
    And Kara stood for what she believed. I can't help thinking her one regret is to choose her beliefs over Mordred, but that's just what the scene implied to me (with the intimate hand-holding, etc).

There was one thing that needed to happen for things to end well (well. better than that anyway). Someone should have told Mordred what Arthur had told Kara and how she had answered. I don't think Mordred would have reacted so violently had he seen the redemption in Arthur's behaviour.

And I agree with Zeen that Mordred hasn't turned on Arthur, he's turned on Merlin. Merlin betrayed him by renouncing his word and Mordred is doing the same. I'm not so baffled by the fact that he's turned his back on Camelot, but more by the fact he's joined Morgana. I think at this stage, with Merlin having shown him the cold shoulder a lot, he's wageing a personal war against Merlin and has understood that the best way to get that is to reveal him to Morgana. Whether his overall aim remains just that or whether he's embracing Morgana's thirst for power, I'm not sure. Let's hope we find out in the final two-parter

PenguinSuzie

[44]Dec 18, 2012
    • level: 10

@ACDiNosey I only just realized a moment ago that your picture is of Arthur and not Dean (from Supernatural) *face palm*. Now that I actually look at it, it doesn't look anything like Dean . I don't know why I thought that's who it was.

ACDiNosey wrote:
    I'm not so baffled by the fact that he's turned his back on Camelot, but more by the fact he's joined Morgana. I think at this stage, with Merlin having shown him the cold shoulder a lot, he's wageing a personal war against Merlin and has understood that the best way to get that is to reveal him to Morgana. Whether his overall aim remains just that or whether he's embracing Morgana's thirst for power, I'm not sure. Let's hope we find out in the final two-parter
    It's baffling why Mordred would embrace her way of doing things as anything but a way to get revenge and get things done. I really hope he isn't loyal to her all of a sudden.

boom-moo

[45]Dec 18, 2012
    ACDiNosey wrote:
    And I agree with Zeen that Mordred hasn't turned on Arthur, he's turned on Merlin. Merlin betrayed him by renouncing his word and Mordred is doing the same.
    I don't see it like that. Merlin kept his word about not saying anything about Kara ad even though he tried his best for Arthur not to find her, he did. Mordred confessed to having helped Kara, the secret was out so there was no promise to keep any longer. Merlin didn't promise to agree with betraying Arthur in such a fashion as to keep from him when his prisoner was being helped to escape. I see how he ruined Mordred's trust but I don't think that he broke the word he gave to him. Same result though: Mordred's revenge for the broken bond of trust is naturally betraying Merlin to Morgana.

What Arthur calls Merlin:
    -Head louse, useless, irritating.

What Merlin calls Arthur:
    - Nothing.

Wonder_

[46]Dec 23, 2012
    • level: 4

Liar, Liar:

Mordred lies to Merlin about being 'nowhere'

Merlin lies to Arthur about the footprints being made by the patrol

Mordred lies to Gwaine and Leon about nothing going on

Merlin lies to Gwaine and Leon about nothing going on

Kara lies to Arthur about treating herself and it being a stranger who treated her

boom-moo

[47]Dec 23, 2012
    Thank you!

I've added the first one and the last one, Wonder_. What do you think?

Liar, Liar:

Mordred lies to Arthur about having seen a deer

Mordred lies to Merlin about being 'nowhere'

Merlin lies to Arthur about the footprints being made by the patrol

Mordred lies to Gwaine and Leon about nothing going on

Merlin lies to Gwaine and Leon about nothing going on

Kara lies to Arthur about treating herself and it being a stranger who treated her

Mordred lies saying that Arthur has sent him to talk to Kara so she confesses who healed her