Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

Episode 5x13 'The Diamond Of The Day Part 2' discussion thread

BrightlyLit

[21]Dec 24, 2012
    • level: 5

I liked it but it was not be favorite viewing. I cried every time a favorite died but cheered like mad at Morgana's death and so appropriate that it was at Merlin's hands. I liked watching Arthur deal with the magic slowly and in the end you can see if he had lived he would have still been as close to Merlin and they would have even had fun with the magic thing. How I would have loved a couple of episodes with him and Merlin fooling around with the magic. The scenes were just as the should have been in the finale--the two brothers dealing with it all and yes, it was appropriate that he die with Merlin.

Even though they weren't in a scene together, as always I had a sense of Arwen watching through her and the one thing he did in wanting her to rule when he died. And as I said on the spoiler thread, I feel satisfied after having seen their final time together in the tent. I'm glad Gaius, Leon and Percival survived and will stand by her and now we know they'll at least have a measure of peace with Morgana gone. But with aching hearts. I like to imagine that she and Merlin will be even closer now, hearts joined by their love for Arthur and they'll comfort each other. The final scene didn't do for me, but oh well.

By the way, Boom-moo, I'm sorry if my comment on the spoiler thread about people twisting the relationship made anyone take offense. I meant when people put things into it that aren't the intent of the writers, but I do recognize people can certainly "ship" whoever they wish. I usually stay away from that topic but was trying to express myself that as an Arwen fan I have no trouble with them focusing on the A/M as there tends to be some controversy on that. Sooo, anyway, I do apologize if it was taken as an affront; just mentioned what does sometimes bother me.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

boom-moo

[22]Dec 24, 2012
    • level: 75
    trek wrote:

On an unrelated note was I the only one wondering where Merlin got the cape Arthur was wearing as he was sent to Avalon?

Lol yeah, typical TPTB

PendragonLady wrote:

I was surprised that Mordred was killed so early and the battle ended so quickly, but I realize TPTB wanted to spend more time on the reveal and its implications.

Yes, and interesting that Morgana's vision didn't come to happen as she had dreamt it.

PendragonLady

[23]Dec 24, 2012
    • level: 4

Yeah, that was strange. I had hoped to see that scene in the finale.

boom-moo

[24]Dec 24, 2012
    BrightlyLit wrote:

By the way, Boom-moo, I'm sorry if my comment on the spoiler thread about people twisting the relationship made anyone take offense. I meant when people put things into it that aren't the intent of the writers, but I do recognize people can certainly "ship" whoever they wish. I usually stay away from that topic but was trying to express myself that as an Arwen fan I have no trouble with them focusing on the A/M as there tends to be some controversy on that. Sooo, anyway, I do apologize if it was taken as an affront; just mentioned what does sometimes bother me.

Thank you I got that you meant to be accepting of it despite not liking it and I know you didn’t mean to offend anyone but the bit that I quoted could have been better worded to avoid stirring the waters, that’s all.
    PendragonLady wrote:

Yeah, that was strange. I had hoped to see that scene in the finale.

Yeah, me too. Morgana's seer vision had always proven to be quite accurately right?

trek

[26]Dec 24, 2012
    • level: 3

I still wonder what happened to Lord Bayard? Was that spoiler just wrong or was he cut?

zeencat wrote:
    Im not holding my breath for continuation or movies or spin off but there is always hope.

I hope so much too

---

I want to see what the actors actually think of the ending after we've all seen it I know some wanted out but were they still satisfied by it? As in not the pre-show hype but actually their own thoughts where they can talk about the details.

Edited on 12/24/2012 3:35pm
    Edited 3 total times.

boom-moo

[27]Dec 24, 2012
    trek wrote:
    I still wonder what happened to Lord Bayard? Was that spoiler just wrong or was he cut?
    I don't know if it was wrong, but there are some things that we knew through spoilers that never came to happen. I'll pull a list in a minute.

Also, the promo pictures for episode 13 were absolutely misleading (Merlin with a sword inside the castle, sitting at Arthur's table in his room, etc).

boom-moo

[29]Dec 24, 2012
    Unless I am mistaken, these spoilers never came to happen. Might be misreports or deleted scenes. I guess the blond girl in Gwen's costume was just a stand-in.

What we never saw

-Moat scene filmed at Caerphilly castle.
    -Sara Lois (11 years old) to play a girl who turns into a dragon.
    -Lord Bayard to return.
    -They filmed a very short and strange scene with only Bradley on the courtyard. He was standing on one side of the courtyard, near the gallery and they filmed some close ups .
    -A blonde girl was wearing Gwen's dark red velvet dress.
    -There was a red hair woman dressed in warrior type costume (probably wearing a bow and arrows) who seemed to be talking to the knights.

trek

[30]Dec 24, 2012

boom-moo wrote:
    trek wrote:
    I don't know if it was wrong, but there are some things that we knew through spoilers that never came to happen. I'll pull a list in a minute. Also, the promo pictures for episode 13 were absolutely misleading (Merlin with a sword inside the castle, sitting at Arthur's table in his room, etc).

I agree that the promo pics were misleading. I wonder what they were doing there... the knights didn't come together like that either. Deliberate confusion or more likely to show everything we've had in the show and lost...

I did post this earlier but as usual to avoid double posting I edited the post, then 4 people posted, pushing the thread onto the next page so no one saw it: we do have the bloopers and deleted scenes to look forward to. They should be good!

Edited on 12/24/2012 3:56pm
    Edited 2 total times.

Superlarre

[31]Dec 24, 2012

What a great ending to a great show (well perhaps except the very last scene). I have tears in my eyes right now

boom-moo

[32]Dec 24, 2012
    trek wrote:
    we do have the bloopers and deleted scenes to look forward to. They should be good!
    I hope so. And audio commentaries!

I have posted the list already, right above your post

Mailedhorseman

[33]Dec 24, 2012
    • level: 1

Do you think there was a meaning to Mordred smiling right before he fell?

XyFan

[34]Dec 24, 2012

So Merlin still lives even nowadays..

Or cars were invited in 60 years after Arthurian age took place.. *sarcasm*

I was in tears.. I love bittersweet endings, they leave greater impact.. but i still wished for a happy ending..

In my eyes i still imagine Arthur getting cured and he and Merlin riding back to Camelot on Kilgarrah. Everyone is suprised, but Arthur hops off Kilgarrah and says: Magic in Camelot is now allowed.

Still, im really greatful of these series. Story of best friends i wont forget.. :')

I wonder if they do any movies, will Arthur rise out of water? All that movie promising i bet was said just to calm off fans though.

trek

[35]Dec 24, 2012

Mailedhorseman wrote:

Hmm good spot... I wondered that as I watched but forgot about it. I assume it was to show the twisted sense of joy at finally stabbing Arthur...

XyFan wrote:

All that movie promising i bet was said just to calm off fans though.

Wow that hadn't even crossed my mind (as in they said it just to please us - of course I'm not expecting anything) :/ I really, really hope not (because that will really annoying behaviour by TPTB) but we'll never really know since there are quite a few TV shows where spin offs etc are mentioned/considered but then never actually happen...

Edited on 12/24/2012 4:34pm
    Edited 2 total times.

boom-moo

[36]Dec 24, 2012
    boom-moo wrote:
    trek wrote:

On an unrelated note was I the only one wondering where Merlin got the cape Arthur was wearing as he was sent to Avalon?

Lol yeah, typical TPTB
    Upon rewatching it is not a cloak but a blanket that Merlin carries rolled up behind his saddle so it makes sense.

And I also noticed that I wasn’t right about Morgana carrying the Nathair serpent with her, Gwaine and Percival were close to her hiding place when she captured them.

XyFan

[37]Dec 24, 2012

trek wrote:

Mailedhorseman wrote:

Hmm good spot... I wondered that as I watched but forgot about it. I assume it was to show the twisted sense of joy at finally stabbing Arthur...

Maybe he was happy that he wasn't a murderer.. that maybe arthur will live? weird i know but maybe he felt guilt after arthur fell..

trek wrote:
    XyFan wrote:

All that movie promising i bet was said just to calm off fans though.

Wow that hadn't even crossed my mind (as in they said it just to please us - of course I'm not expecting anything) :/ I really, really hope not (because that will really annoying behaviour by TPTB) but we'll never really know since there are quite a few TV shows where spin offs etc are mentioned/considered but then never actually happen...

I hope so, but yeah.. even if it did happen it would take a year or more to make.. :/

-

I actually have a favour to ask.. What did Merlin say to Arthur after when he took off Arthur's boots? It was somewhere after the scene when he used magic to lit fire. I didnt quite hear it well..

Arthur: ''What are you doing?''

Merlin: ''You need to...'' ?

Edited on 12/24/2012 4:53pm
    Edited 3 total times.

boom-moo

[38]Dec 24, 2012
    XyFan wrote:

I actually have a favour to ask.. What did Merlin say to Arthur after when he took off Arthur's boots? It was somewhere after the scene when he used magic to lit fire. I didnt quite hear it well..

Arthur: ''What are you doing?''

Merlin: ''You need to...'' ?

"They need drying" Merlin is referring to Arthur's boots.

Mailedhorseman

[39]Dec 24, 2012
    • level: 1

XyFan wrote:

trek wrote:

Mailedhorseman wrote:

Maybe he was happy that he wasn't a murderer.. that maybe arthur will live? weird i know but maybe he felt guilt after arthur fell..

But I would think he knew Arthur was a goner sooner or later since he was stabbed with a dragon forged blade. It could be like Trek said, a twisted sense of joy at stabbing him. Though he didnt seem happy when Arthur fell on his knees.

boom-moo

[40]Dec 24, 2012
    Can someone explain me how they figured out that Eira was the traitor? I don't think it's very clear how Gwaine and Gwen do (I guess they just had suspicions and tricked her into confirming them) but how could Merlin know? I don't know if anyone noticed but Merlin’s line to Gaius: "You know I was betrayed, the girl Eira can not be trusted" sounds clearly like additional voice recording to me as it doesn’t match Merlin’s facial movements or the overall sound of the scene. It really confuses me.