Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

Episode 5x13 'The Diamond Of The Day Part 2' discussion thread

CindyC

[41]Dec 24, 2012
    • level: 1

I am officially DONE with UK tv. Can ANY light-hearted series end without death and heartbreak. It happened with the original, and only legitimate Being Human, and Season 2 Misfits.

I initially thought I was ahead of the game with UK's interesting unorthodox series, as USA was offering nothing of substance, however what I've discovered is that substance is relative. This last episode of Merlin has taught me that the last thing I want to invest in, is a UK series. Merry Fu***ng Christmas, and don't ever worry about me investing in another"Cross The Pond Series," in my FRACKING lifetime.

Edited on 12/24/2012 6:09pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

yafu2

[42]Dec 24, 2012
    • level: 4

CindyC wrote:

This last episode of Merlin has taught me that the last thing I want to invest in, is a UK series.

I'm with you. Merlin is the only show from the UK I've ever watched. I won't make the same mistake twice.

mog253

[43]Dec 25, 2012
    • level: 2

Merlin only told two people he would be at the Crystal Cave. Making Gaius, Gwine and Eira the only ones who knew. I'm still sort of in minor shock from this episode. Arthur and Gwaine dying takes all the fun out of Camelot. It just wouldn't be that happy. And Merlin just walking around forever is just sad. I think the writers realised too late that they wasted season 4 doing nothing and decided that this was a perfect way out.

Yes Atrhur did go through a whole accepting thing, but he did it in the course of one episode. I would remember him angry and dying from this episode. It a strong episode, but not a satisfying one.

PenguinSuzie

[44]Dec 25, 2012
    • level: 10

yafu2 wrote:
    I'm with you. Merlin is the only show from the UK I've ever watched. I won't make the same mistake twice.
    I'm sorry you both feel that way. There are so many great shows from the UK it'd be a shame if you missed out because of a bad experience.

This site had logged me off randomly and I couldn't log in all day . Did this happen to anyone else today?

I loved it. It was very moving and emotional. I agree that while this isn't the ending I would have wanted for the show, it's really the best outcome for the way they wrote this season. It was certainly enjoyable and overall I'm pretty happy with it.

I'm confused what happened with Percival, I thought when he left Gwaine that he was going after Morgana, maybe he found her dead body and no sign of the king at Avalon so that's where the confirmation came from that he was dead. I sort of wasn't sure if Merlin was planning on setting that boat on fire as that's the impression I gave or if he was just sending it across. Morgana can't be killed with a normal blade since when?! I loved the scenes with Arthur and Merlin and loved that there was time to address it (i would have loved more episodes but I think it still worked) and give Arthur time to come to terms with it given the situation. In any other situation I think it would have taken him much longer but because he still had to be with Merlin, stay with him and it gave him a lot of moments to deal with it so he came to terms with it a lot quicker. While I felt kind of sorry for Morgana during the middle of the episode, she looked so wrung out. By the time she'd died I was back to disliking her.

Edited on 12/25/2012 8:32am

Ashleighnikiann

[45]Dec 25, 2012

It took me a long time to decide how I feel about this last episode.

I'm sad that it's over, and I'm sad that Arthur died. Even though the prophecies said he would die, and the legend says he dies, I still didn't want him to die.

The big problem with the ending is that they didn't give us any closure for his death. We didn't really see a funeral -- the boat that Merlin seems about to send him off on isn't even lit on fire.

We also don't really see what happens to Merlin. Does he go back to Camelot to become the court magician? I like to think so, but they don't explicitly state that.

They don't show us that magic returns to Camelot, and that Albion is united, but I think that all does come to pass because in the Merlin universe, the prophecies always come true.

Too much about the ending is left up to us to imagine, and that's why I don't like the ending.

But unlike some of the commenters here, I'm not giving up on British television! How silly. Just because one show ended badly doesn't mean all the shows will end badly.

And besides, what a ride! The series overall was great. This ending seems to be as problematic as the rest of season five, unfortunately, but seasons one through four were lots of fun. I've started watching them again from the beginning, and remember what I like so much about this series that I think was lost in season five: it's fun and funny and lighthearted and action-packed. I'm not going to let the problematic ending ruin the entire series for me.

Ashleighnikiann

[46]Dec 25, 2012

PenguinSuzie wrote:
    This site had logged me off randomly and I couldn't log in all day . Did this happen to anyone else today?
    That happened to me too!

micaba

[47]Dec 25, 2012
    • level: 5

if i just dont think how the whole season 5 was about morgana vs artur same storys,whit no twist,i'll make it to the final episode.its gotta be worth a while.and now,oh grrrrrrrr
    1.i was pleased that the begining was so cool,and that they killed mordred,and i was expecting some epic batlle vs morgana(but nooo.)
    2.how stupid do you have to be to go after morgana(2knights vs i magic b***),and hope you will win,and she will not get all of your secrets..
    and it was an undone story whit the one who whent after morgana.why did they even showed it at all.?
    3.wasn't gven evil?did i missed a show?
    4.why didint merlin call the dragon earlier ant transported artur to avalon?
    5.the end was bad because if they ever planed to mace a next (meadevill)season we will know that merlin will live forever,and the ending was just baaad...

the only thing i liked (not caunting the begining of this,and arturs 'merlin is the reatest what?'face) is the bonding and the emotional connection between M and AXD

...And we dont know what happend to the dragons(and white is the nasty one),did gven broth back magic and so one...
    and we dont now todays merlins adressXDXDXDplease postXDlol

micaba

[48]Dec 25, 2012
    • level: 5

and sorry for my bad english

PenguinSuzie

[50]Dec 25, 2012
    micaba wrote:
    2.how stupid do you have to be to go after morgana(2knights vs i magic b***),and hope you will win,and she will not get all of your secrets.. and it was an undone story whit the one who whent after morgana.why did they even showed it at all.?
    I sort of forgive Gwaine because he was very emotional at the time and that would likely make him impulsive and lack proper judgment, but I don't know what made Percival go so quickly, maybe just to make sure Gwaine didn't go alone.
    micaba wrote:
    3.wasn't gven evil?did i missed a show?
    Under spoiler incase you dont actually want to know
    ***SPOILER***
    micaba wrote:
    4.why didint merlin call the dragon earlier ant transported artur to avalon?
    Merlin recently found out that the dragon was ill so he probably didn't want to call for him until it got especially desperate.
    micaba wrote:
    5.the end was bad because if they ever planed to mace a next (meadevill)season we will know that merlin will live forever,and the ending was just baaad...
    This was the last season. There's a small chance of spin offs or movies though.
    Ashleighnikiann wrote:
    That happened to me too!
    Aye, it was really frustrating.

Ashleighnikiann

[51]Dec 25, 2012

I just rewatched the episode, and honestly, I like the episode, I just feel like it's missing one thing: Merlin publicly getting the recognition he deserved. I feel like I wouldn't have been so upset about the ending if we would have seen Merlin standing next to Gwen in the scene where she is crowned.

PenguinSuzie

[52]Dec 25, 2012

Mailedhorseman wrote:
    But I would think he knew Arthur was a goner sooner or later since he was stabbed with a dragon forged blade. It could be like Trek said, a twisted sense of joy at stabbing him. Though he didnt seem happy when Arthur fell on his knees.
    I think it was more of a 'it's done' sort of thing, more relief, maybe satisfaction but not actually joy. He smiled after being stabbed so maybe he was glad it was over, for him as well. What he said and the way he spoke gave me the impression that he wasn't happy about it, despite the smiling.
    boom-moo wrote:
    Can someone explain me how they figured out that Eira was the traitor? I don't think it's very clear how Gwaine and Gwen do (I guess they just had suspicions and tricked her into confirming them) but how could Merlin know? I don't know if anyone noticed but Merlin's line to Gaius: "You know I was betrayed, the girl Eira can not be trusted" sounds clearly like additional voice recording to me as it doesn't match Merlin's facial movements or the overall sound of the scene. It really confuses me.
    I suppose Merlin must have seen it in the crystals last episode when he sort of speed watched everything. Told Gaius who informed Gwaine and Gwen and then they set her up by getting Gwaine to give her the wrong information and incriminate herself.

Edited on 12/25/2012 10:10am

LizzyGlue

[53]Dec 25, 2012
    • level: 20

(I've been unable to log in since yesterday, I imagine many of us might have been affected.)

This was the most powerful episode of the series! It left me a crying mess but I still feel it that this ending was a fitting, appropriate and EPIC end to this series that I've enjoyed so much.

I can't comment in detail because this brought out so many feelings that it's hard to be coherent.

What a ride they gave us! What an amazing TV Show!

Edited on 12/25/2012 11:11am

allenleonardo

[54]Dec 25, 2012

I am not sure if I really like this episode

First Merlin is all BAMF and defeating soldiers left and right and than he just went to the battlefield and slowly tried to find Arthur...fully knowing that Mordred is still fighting somewhere.

Arthur, letting himself being stabbed like that was also not something I liked. I hoped that they would have a nice fight where he made a mistake. But they probably had not enough time to do that (sadly). I liked that for the rest of the episode Merlin was young again. (I do wonder how he was able to carry Arthur all the way to the forest as an old man and that nobody noticed them.)

It would have been better if Merlin had tried to call the Great Dragon at the beginning and his calling failed (maybe because the dragon was death or something) and then have to go the common way towards Avalon. But calling him after Arthur died was really strange...(the dragon would have been able to fly them there within the first day so why not using him from the start..)

And about dragons..really in the end Aithusas existence was quite bad for Merlin. She was on Morganas side, saved her life at the end of season 4 and forged the sword that killed Arthur...without her, there would not be a second Excalibur and Arthur could have been saved from a normal weapon. So why did the great Dragon say that Aithusa is good for Albion and for Merlin? I wish they would have done the Dragon storyline better. We dont even know what happened with both dragons..At least both didnt die.

What I loved in this episode were the Arthur/Merlin scenes. They were so beautiful and you could feel their friendship. Arthur saying that Merlin never got the respect he deserved was also nice.

And sorry for Morgana fans but I soo smiled at her death. She was just annoying at the end. The only scenes with her that I liked were the one in front of Mordreds grave and her death . And she deserves such a death after killing poor Gwaine .

Even though I knew it would probably end in modern times, I was still highly disapointed by that ending..For me it would have been better if Merlin went back to Camelot to say that Arthur died and to watch Gwen being made the ruler. And than the show could close with him saying to her that one day Arthur will return again and that he will wait forever for him. With this, we would have known that its not the end of Arthur and that Merlin is probably immortal. The scene with the car was just too surreal. It happened to sudden. Some people on other forums even asked if he did a time travel or what this scene even means. And why shouldnt he go back to Camelot? Its not like the knights know that he is a warlock and Gaius/Gwen would feel better to have him back. (And he could protect Gwen) To think that Gwen was not even able to really say goodbye to both was also heartbreaking. (And in the end what right did Merlin really had with taking away Arthur? He did not know that he was wounded by a magic sword)

Seeing that Arthur really died here and not going to Avalon as fataly wounded but still alive like quite a lot of legends say, he can only be reborn into this world. He would need to be born as another person an maybe at a certain age remembering his old life. (at least this would give him the chance to learn about this new world from the beginning) But he stilll would never really get the chance to be a great king again, not if this show is playing in our timeline.

I do had to laugh a little after the dragons said that Merlin didnt fail his destiny..For me he did nothing was really accomplished, the golden age with magic being free did not happen and his friend is death. All the magical people that put their faith in them and died for them did it for nothing. Or is the second ruling of Arthur the real part of his destiny where he will create the real Albion? :/

So in the end it didnt feel really right for me. The Arthur/Merlin scenes were the only thing that I really loved. And I did not even cry at Arthurs death so yeah :/ There are too many questions and plots (like Aithusa) open for me to really feel satisfacted. If it would have ended with Merlin going back to camelot to say that Arthur is death and if we had known that there would be a movie that will tell us what happened next than I would have liked it more. But in this situation I just wonder what happened in Camelot and what did Merlin and the others do while knowing that we wont really get an answer about these things.

Sorry for this long post and the negative view. The writers said that there will be people who wont like the ending and sadly it looks like I am one of those. (I also will not watch these two episodes again, fanfictions I am coming xD)

zzbeach

[55]Dec 25, 2012
    • level: 12

I'm going to agree with a few of the previous posts. While I generally liked Merlin, this 5th season, or series, didn't fulfill the grand promises of a new enlightened age. I think Merlin coming clean to Arthur should have happened in the 2nd or 3rd episode. This would have made this season's storylines more diverse. Instead it was all about Morgana and her efforts to kill Arthur. Merlin as the Official Wizard of Camelot would have added new dynamics to the show. Just think of the new stories that could have been written.

Arthur would have imprisoned Merlin to be hanged, but Gwen convinces Arthur to change the laws against magic, not to save his friends life, but because the law is wrong. And you cannot execute anybody due to an unjust law.

Another could be an uprising in Morgana's camp. After the laws against magic are repealed, the minor magic users and druids Morgana has recruited are divided and an actual magic civil war occurs within Morgana's ranks. Think how cool it would be to watch a melee between a couple dozen sorcerers.

Merlin coming clean could also lead to some comical moments. After Merlin becomes the Official Wizard, he has some jealous feelings towards Arthur's new servant who is much more attentive to his duties. And Gaius has to lecture Merlin that he is now a powerful wizard and has to dress and act accordingly. Or when Arthur assigns Merlin more opulent quarters, Merlin has a disagreement on how to decorate it with Gwen and the new official decorator of Camelot.

If I knew I would be writing scripts for the last season of Merlin I would have had some new elements to the stories. Arthur discovering Merlin's secret in the beginning of the season would have done just that.

Kaili_K

[57]Dec 25, 2012
    • level: 48

Ashleighnikiann wrote:

I just rewatched the episode, and honestly, I like the episode, I just feel like it's missing one thing: Merlin publicly getting the recognition he deserved. I feel like I wouldn't have been so upset about the ending if we would have seen Merlin standing next to Gwen in the scene where she is crowned.

I feel the same way.

PenguinSuzie

[58]Dec 25, 2012
    allenleonardo wrote:
    I hoped that they would have a nice fight where he made a mistake.
    Arthur is the better fighter so I kind of liked that he hesitated because of his past, perhaps unsure of what to do, or maybe not knowing what Mordred would do so not immediately attacking him.
    zzbeach wrote:
    Arthur would have imprisoned Merlin to be hanged, but Gwen convinces Arthur to change the laws against magic, not to save his friends life, but because the law is wrong. And you cannot execute anybody due to an unjust law.
    It would have been great if Arthur found out much much earlier in the season but I wouldn't have liked it if Gwen had to convince Arthur to change the laws in order not to execute him, I'd really prefer that he comes to that view himself without someone writing it out for him.
    allenleonardo wrote:
    It would have been better if Merlin had tried to call the Great Dragon at the beginning and his calling failed (maybe because the dragon was death or something) and then have to go the common way towards Avalon. But calling him after Arthur died was really strange...(the dragon would have been able to fly them there within the first day so why not using him from the start..)
    I think he just didn't want to stress the dragon, he seemed very worried about him since he was unwell. While they definitely could have used him, I think Merlin wanted to put of having to call for him until or unless there was simply no other choice. They might have made it if they hadn't kept stopping because they came across saxons or because Morgana got to them. Though Arthur would have still had to rest.

allenleonardo

[59]Dec 25, 2012

PenguinSuzie wrote:
    Arthur is the better fighter so I kind of liked that he hesitated because of his past, perhaps unsure of what to do, or maybe not knowing what Mordred would do so not immediately attacking him .

You are right =) but for me it would have been more interesting to see them fighting and not only one stab on each side and this is it. It was war so as a warrior he should have been more alert. Maybe it was so annyoing for me because of Old Merlin walking around afterwards with no real hurry (running looks different to me ) even though he new that Mordred seeks Arthur.

PenguinSuzie wrote:
    I think he just didn't want to stress the dragon, he seemed very worried about him since he was unwell. While they definitely could have used him, I think Merlin wanted to put of having to call for him until or unless there was simply no other choice. They might have made it if they hadn't kept stopping because they came across saxons or because Morgana got to them. Though Arthur would have still had to rest.

Wasnt the dragon just old not sick? I understand that he was also worried about him but Arthur was slowly dieing. It was not a given that he will get help on Avalon or even survive long enough on the isle to get a threatment. There was also always the chance that the wound will get infected or that is condition worsen suddenly. He could never fully calculate if they are sudden attacked by bandits or if other things gets in their way so I wouldnt take the change. (It may sound horrible but unlike Arthur the dragon reached quite the age and was feeling bad thanks to plot being old )

It wouldnt have felt so strange and bad to me if the dragons wasnt even used in this episode. But being called after Arthurs death really looked a little stupid It would have been better (in my opinion) if he tried to called him at the beginning but that the great dragon never shows up and thats why he has to travel all the way with the horses. In the end the dragon was only there to tell us that Arthur will rise again and maybe to give us a little hope of Arthur surviving

Little question: was the hand that took Excalibur Freya`s? I thought so at the beginning but I read on other forums that it was Arthurs hand? O.o