Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

Episode discussion - 3x13 'The Coming Of Arthur Part 2'

zeencat

[41]Dec 4, 2010
    • level: 10
    Like a man who has had a serious nerves break down. He's a complete shadow of his former self. Looks like he's scared of his own shadow and has absolutely no hope left in him.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ACDiNosey

[42]Dec 4, 2010
    • level: 28
    Well, see my comments on page 1. there is a very strong scene where Morgana tells him how much she hates him, and he's really broken after that. It's not made clear what's going to happen in S4, but it's unlikely Uther will ever be the same.

boom-moo

[43]Dec 4, 2010
    • level: 75
    He tells Arthur that he is sorry. That is pretty big coming from Uther.

cassiop_yeaaah

[44]Dec 4, 2010
    • level: 7

pcdsa wrote:

cassiop_yeaaah wrote:
    In the end, does Uther knows about Morgana having magic ? She kind of gave some hints when they were talking but nobody saw her using it other than Merlin and Gaius at the end...

I don't think he knows. It seems no one knows so she kept it quiet during her week long reign.
    That's strange because I thought Morgana's reign would be the big return of magic.

boom-moo

[45]Dec 4, 2010
    Yeah but she doesn't have the ability to counteract the magic of those who might try to use it against her interests. She is too weak and dependant on Morgause.

pcdsa

[46]Dec 4, 2010
    • level: 12
    Maybe she was waiting for the people to become loyal to her. Though I don't see how ordering her men to kill them was going to help her...

ellac4

[47]Dec 4, 2010
    • level: 5

boom-moo wrote:
    He tells Arthur that he is sorry. That is pretty big coming from Uther.

What exactly was he sorry for? The part where he never told him Morgana was his sister? For being a lousy dad? For being a basically bad person? For temporarily losing his kingdom? Or sorry for EVERYTHING?

boom-moo

[48]Dec 4, 2010
    For everything, he is just too destroyed.

cassiop_yeaaah

[49]Dec 4, 2010
    • level: 7

boom-moo wrote:
    She is too weak and dependant on Morgause.
    Even when she is queen she follows Morgause's plans. I liked when she said that it wasn't easy to be queen. I would have loved to see her talking more about that.

Is it me or Morgause wasn't totally agree with Morgana when they were talking on the balcony ? i can't remember exactly what they were talking about...

zeencat

[50]Dec 4, 2010
    I think she was surprised at how cruel Morgana's idea was. I'm not sure if she agrees or disagrees. I can imagine that if she didn't agree then she would of said something. I was pretty surprised. I didn't think she was that evil YET.

boom-moo

[51]Dec 4, 2010
    Making those mean, brutal decisions seems to be the way TPTB have chosen to show how evil Morgana is since she can't perform any worth magic. It is pretty ironic since that only makes her be exactly all that she hates in Uther.

ACDiNosey

[52]Dec 4, 2010
    • level: 28
    boom-moo wrote:
    Making those mean, brutal decisions seems to be the way TPTB have chosen to show how evil Morgana is since she can't perform any worth magic. It is pretty ironic since that only makes her be exactly all that she hates in Uther.

Well, I think that was partly what they were trying to show. She's Uther in reverse. He's been a tyrant to magical beings, but his kingdom has been relatively prosperous. Morgana can't get the people to respect her as a ruler, so she rules by tyranny to force them to abide by her rules. Her main problem is that her aim was ruling for ruling's sake, the people never came into the equation. Uther, for a his sins, cared for the kingdom, but didn't have the emotional skills to show it in a meaningful way.

boom-moo

[53]Dec 4, 2010
    Before becoming Burger Queen she didn't care about the lives of so many innocent people that would die in 3x02, for example. She already was making the very same mistakes Uther did in his quest to put an end to magic, while she was trying to bring it back.

madison188

[54]Dec 4, 2010
    • level: 4

Great Episode, all i really have to say is that i loved the arthur/gwen scenes and Gawine........he just has to be in more episodes next season!

dpebbleson

[55]Dec 4, 2010
    • level: 24
    This was a tremendous episode. I'm very sad over Morgana's destiny, of course.

Things I liked:

- the intensity: I was at the edge of my seat all the time

- Excalibur

- Morgause was soooo good in this episode. The way Morgana screamed and weeped was very touching. Still I hope she isn't dead. She did survive a boulder falling over her, didn't she? I really hope she isn't dead. She's such a great character.

- Gaius was very good in this one, I liked his magic.

- Uther surely knows about Morgana's magic. She did describe herself as having to hide all this time. And she did bring down the ceiling and break all those windows in front of Gaius, Merlin and Lancelot. And she did side with Morgause, the magical person. So if next season, Uther still doesn't know, it's too bad for the writers. But I think he knows. Otherwise her motivation is not so good, because just not recognizing your daughter isn't a good reason to bring down the whole kingdom.

- I liked Lancelot-Merlin interaction in this one.

- I liked Merlin saying 'I don't fancy the idea'

Things I didn't like:

- Nobody found about Merlin's magic.

- Arthur didn't find about Merlin's magic. I didn't like Colin Morgan being mouthpiece for the TPTB in that 'Not yet' line which wasn't explained. Why not?

- Morgause and Morgana not knowing about his magic. BUT - if Morgause is still alive (which I hope she is) - she may connect the dots. If there were only Gaius and Merlin in the room, and Gaius didn't throw her at the wall, then surely Merlin did.

- Morgana was made artificial villain this episode. Killing people just for kicks? I didn't notice that in her character. Why make her such a villain is beyond me - probably to leave the only possible choice - Arthur (who goes and kills innocent druids in S2, but hey...). So while I believe Arthur is the Once and Future King, I didn't think it was necessary to make Morgana so villainous.

---

That's it. It's sad the season ended. I want more.

Maybe we should begin a discussion in 'United Fans of Merlin' thread about all the aspects of the season, things we liked the most, things we didn't like so much etc. - you know to summarize the impressions of the season. And then to begin the Long Wait...

zeencat

[56]Dec 4, 2010
    I noticed the "It's not time yet reference as well". I'm beginning to think it's going to be after Arthur becomes King that he finds out about Merlin. Like the series finale. I'm hoping that they don't wait that long.

boom-moo

[57]Dec 4, 2010
    I think the reveal is gonna be milked until the last season, whichever number that one makes.

dpebbleson

[58]Dec 4, 2010
    The problem is 'why?'. They are all scared of Arthur knowing, but we all know Uther is a madcap about those things, not Arthur.

boom-moo

[59]Dec 4, 2010
    To keep the audience hooked, I guess. Not that I'd stop watching (actually it'd bring on a lot of good drama) but hey. TPTB seem delighted to postpone it.

dpebbleson

[60]Dec 4, 2010
    boom-moo wrote:
    To keep the audience hooked, I guess. Not that I'd stop watching (actually it'd bring on a lot of good drama) but hey. TPTB seem delighted to postpone it.

I was so hoping for something, at least the slightest hint, to happen this season...