Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

General Q&A Thread (Updated August 18th, 2012)

boom-moo

[1]Sep 11, 2009
    • level: 75

This thread was created to try and keep the forum uncluttered. With the beginning of a new season, it will get pretty active again and most likely new threads will be constantly opened to ask all kind of questions related to the show, so I figured that having all questions asked in here will make the forum look less messy and it'll be easier for everyone to find their way around.

So if you have any question about the show, the actors, or tv.com in general, here is where they should be posted. Chances will be higher of getting more and better replies than if the new topic threads keep coming and getting quickly buried.

However, please avoid Off Topic questions that will generate a huge discussion: this is not a discussion thread. It is a resource to help people understand the show and the site better.

I'll try and edit this first post with the most frequently asked questions to ease a bit the task.

Please take into account that questions about the show plotlines usually derive into discussions and that is ok. Not all questions have a single reply.
    However, please don't ask questions that will generate a huge discussion as this is not a discussion thread. It is a resource to help people understand the show and the site better. If a question is getting a lot of discussion, please move it to the United Fans of Merlin thread which is for general show discussion.

Most frequently asked questions

Questions about the site and the forum

Golden Rules:
    -If you are not certain about the right way to proceed, please ask here first.
    -Just quoting any entry that contains what you wish to do (a link, a particular font colour/size, spoiler tags, html usage in general) is the best way to see how it's done.

How do I change my user icon?
    Up right by your username at the top right of the page is a drop down menu. Click in “preferences”, “profile”, “URL for current icon”. Just enter the URL of the icon you wish to use in the box provided. You can also select from the tv.com stock icons if you wish. Icons that you use from your own collection must be no larger than 80x80 px. And if you upload your own icon, rather than using the link, it can be no bigger than 19kb. Remember to save your changes when you're done!

How can I make the picture I want to use as my avatar under 80x80 and 19k max?
    -Saving it as a PNG instead of JPG helps.
    -Uploading the picture to a picture hosting site and then linking to (when you use a URL there is no file size limit).

How do I get a banner on my profile? The same way you get an icon. Go to prefs and enter in the URL for the image you wish to use. Banners can be no bigger than 760x140 px. If you are uploading your own from your computer, it can be no larger than 48kb.

How big can signatures be?
    Your signature, according to this site's TOS, can be no bigger than 200x550 px (if it is a picture). That is 200 pixels high and 550 pixels wide. Anything larger than that will be deleted by the site's moderators. If your signature is just text, it can be no longer than 12 lines.

How do I change my font?
    If you are a level 3 or above, you should have a toolbar that allows you to change your font and colour, in addition to doing a variety of other things like posting clickable links. If you are not a level 3, you will need to know the HTML codes.

How do I post a picture?
    -You must be a level three to post pictures or add them to your signature:
    -Once you are a level three, find the URL of the picture you want to post (the URL is the web address, which you can find by right-clicking the picture and going to "properties"), and enclose it with the image tags. Like so:
    [img] http://sampleurl.com [/img] - just don't put the spaces in there
    -If you want to post one of your own pictures, I recommend uploading the picture to any of the free picture hosting sites available: Photobucket, Tinypic, Imageshack... They will give you the URL, or several other image codes. -Then you only need to copy and paste the code (usually, the code starting by "a" is the one that works better, but the one starting by "img" works fine for some people too).

How do I quote two different entries?
    To quote two different posts into one you have to quote one, copy the info, quote the second and paste the info copied the first time into the second so you get both quotes in one post.

How do I post links? You must be a level 3 to post active (clickable) links. Until you are a level three, it just posts the URL.
    Then you can add links by using the reply or quote buttons (not the quick reply or quick quote ones). You will see a list of icons at the top of the message box where you type your text. Type your text, and then highlight the text on which you want to put the link. Click on the button that looks like a chain. You will be prompted to enter a URL in the first field. Just copy the URL you want to show and paste it in the field. Don't worry about the other fields. Click ok, and the link should now appear on the word(s) you had selected. If by any chance you want to delete the link you've created, select the text containing the link and click on the icon with the broken chain.

How do I get to level 3?
    TV.com is all about contribution. If you want to increase your level, you need to contribute to the site. This includes posting in the forums, posting blogs, commenting on your friends’ blogs, reviewing shows/episodes/people, and submitting quotes/trivia/recaps. Every time you make a post, a review, or a submission, you get points toward your level.

How do I send a pm?
    The menu only lists those users you have previously friended (by going to their profile and clicking in "follow". To go to someone's profile you just have to click on their nickname). You can type the name or copy and paste it.

How do I add contacts to my PM system?
    Just go to a person' profile and on the right side, under that person's avatar picture there is button called "start following". That should do the job. If the person responds by following you, you become friends.

How do I find out if there's a thread for a specific topic?
    The search function encompasses the entire site, and it would take you a long time to wade through the results. So, just in the Q&A thread or send a pm to the editor. Please don't start a new thread about something unless you know there isn't already one. It clutters the forum and goes against the rules.

Why do I get a "Tag span may not have attribute class" error when I try to post?
    -It usually happens when copying and pasting information from an external source. To sort it out, you can either type the same info manually, or edit the html.
    There are other errors that are due to bugs like words/sentences/paragraphs coming together without spaces or line breaks, random words that the site censors, etc.
    Using the preview button and copying long posts before submitting are golden rules.

How do I see what others have written when typing my own message?
    When you use “reply” you can’t see the previous entries on the page so you have to quote the entry to have the text at sight. If the entry is in the same page, you can also "quick reply" so you can scroll up to check it.

Why can’t I double post?
    -First: it goes against the TOS so it saves users from receiving warnings from the site staff.
    -Second: double/triple posting might make someone’s opinion come as forceful and disrespectful of that of others making a discussion one-sided.
    -Third: there’s an “edit message” option in the drop down menu at the bottom of every post which renders double posting unnecessary.

Why can’t I open new threads?
    As it is stated by tv.com: Official episode, specific topic, and Q&A threads are allowed at editor's discretion and within reason, and should be created and approved by the editor when possible; Users should be allowed to create threads if no other TOS violation or duplication occurs.
    -Most of the time, new threads could easily fit within an existing thread. Their proliferation means that some threads which are just as worthy, end up being buried. It serves no purpose discussing the same points in several threads at the same time so unnecessary threads will be locked by the editor.
    -Threads should normally be discussed with and/or approved by the moderator/editor before being posted. It is basic courtesy when coming to a new forum to abide by its rules.

Editor’s note: A while back, a long discussion was held about the way to organise the forum in an orderly manner. Everyone was able to contribute their ideas/opinions on the topic, and the threads were opened and/or modified according to the wish of the majority. It's never possible to please everyone, but opinions were heard and things were arranged going with what the majority thought better. Everyone had to concede here and there while at the same time getting other things done their way. I think that in general the set of rules we came up with is pretty fair and helps keeping the forum easily accessible for new users to find their way around.

Yes, I am well aware that I am strict but experience has taught me that it's the best way to go. If any of you have taken a look around other forums on this site, some are total chaos. It is beyond me why their moderators couldn't care less, but that's beside the point. I surely won't let any of the shows I moderate become such a mess. The rules are which they are and I plan to keep it that way.

I do my best to inforce the rules in a polite way (I could very well just delete those posts that break any rule and move on, since users are supposed to be aware of what the site rules are) but I prefer talking things out and hence I always offer an explanation about why something is wrong and point the right way to do it. Almost every day I replying to a lot of pms in which old and new users ask about this and that and I don't mind doing so.

Every new series brings an influx of new users which means extra work for me, that's why I ask of everyone to please be in their best behaviour and set an example (particularly when glitches occurs and useful features aren't working). Thanks for understanding.

Being moderated is not a punishment or a personal aggravation but the result of faulty action.

Which are the shortcuts to tv.com smileys?
    double colon and then )
    double colon and then (
    double colon and then D
    double colon and then o
    double colon and then |
    type 'shock' in between double colons
    type 'evil' in between double colons
    type 'twisted' in between double colons
    type 'oops' in between double colons
    type 'roll' in between double colons
    double colon and then x
    double colon and then P
    double colon and then ?
    type '8' and then )
    type 'wink' in between double colons
    type 'lol' in between double colons
    type 'cry' in between double colons
    type 'question' in between double colons
    type 'idea' in between double colons

Questions about fandom

What does TPTB mean?
    -That's "The Powers That Be". This includes all writers, producers, directors... Basically anyone involved with decision making for the show. Check this out.

What does "canon" mean?
    When something in a show is "canon", it is fact. It can be backed up with evidence from the show.

What is a "ship"?
    "Ship" is short for "relationship". This is two people on a television show whom you want to end up together. If you are a fan of that couple, you ship that couple.

What is a beta? How can I get one?
    If you write fan fiction, a "beta" is the person to whom you send your story before you post it. Betas are responsible for proofreading (checking for grammatical/spelling errors). They also give you advice on what does or doesn't work in a fic. They may tell you how to flesh out an idea better, or that a certain section can be cut. Ultimately, the decision to do that is yours, but you should always take the advice of your beta into consideration. It never hurts to have a second opinion.

What does "squee" mean?
    A "squee" is a squeal or a squeak. Basically, it is the noise you make when you are super excited about something.

Questions about the show

Where can I find the Merlin font?
    -Someone awesome and very gifted has done it herself and it looks great. You can find it here.
    -Merlin Secrets&Magic font is called 'Black Chancery', really easy to find making a Google search.

Where can I find Merlin music?
    -Rohan Stevenson’s clips here, James Gosling’s ones here, Miguel D'Oliveira’s ones here and Michal Pavlicek's here.
    -Series 1 and Series 2 soundtracks are available for sale.
    -Series 3 and Series 4 have already been made available via iTunes and will be released on November 12th, 2012 Series 3 and Series 4.

Where can I find high-res promotional pictures
    Here.

What is the music playing in some of the series 3 trailers?
    -Two Steps From Hell’s "Armada".

What is the music playing in some of the series 5 trailers?
    Muse’s Knights of Cydonia.

Where can I get piano sheet music for Merlin?
    Here.

Where can I find Merlin books?
    -They are available here and here.

Is the any difference between the episodes aired in the UK and the USA?
    -To the best of my knowledge, the only difference is in episode 2x13. As it is slightly longer than the rest (some 6 minutes or so) a scene was cut when it aired in the US but I believe that the DVD boxset has the episode in full. It's the scene between Arthur and Merlin right before Arthur goes to fight the dragon where Merlin insists to join him because 'he cares a lot about his armour'. The scene happens from 39'00 to 40'42. Part of the dialogue goes as follows:

Arthur: What are you doing?
    Merlin: I'm coming with you.
    Arthur: Merlin, the chances are I'm going to die.
    Merlin: Yeah, you probably would if I wasn't there.
    Arthur: Right!
    Merlin: Do you know how many times I had to save your Royal backside?
    Arthur: Well, at least you've got your sense of humour back. Are you really going to face this dragon with me?
    Merlin: I'm not going to sit here and watch. I know it's hard for you to understand how I feel, but... well, I care a hell of a lot about that armour. I'm not going to let you mess it up.

Where are the horses in the show from?
    these (also Dolbadarn Film Horses is the Welsh company that supplied horses during the second season of Merlin. Bradley James rode Rabanete and Colin Morgan rode Diablo for most of the time. Their website and Facebook site has a lot of pics from Merlin among many other tv and film productions. I know they also use some French horses and for The Beauty and the Beast I think they used some Spanish horses.

Where can I find a Camelot map?
    -Hi-res version here.

Where can I find the Merlin spells?
    -archeologist_d on livejournal has them collected here.

Where can I find a picture of the Pendragon crest?
    Pic #1
    Pic #2.
    Pic #3.

Continues in post #4

Edited on 10/06/2012 4:27am
    Edited 24 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

boom-moo

[4]Sep 27, 2009
    Are Gaius and Merlin related?
    -In episode 1x07 of Secrets and Magic, it is mentioned twice about Gaius being Merlin's uncle. Around 3:35 here and around 5:10 here.
    -At the beginning of this interview, Richard says "My step sister Hunith sends me her son Merlin".

Also, here is the letter that Hunith sends to Gaius in 1x01 as show on screen:

"My dear Gaius, I turn to you for I feel lost and alone and don't know who to trust. It is every mother's fate to think her child is special and yet I would give my life that Merlin were not so. Ours is a small village and he is so clearly at odds with people here that if he were to remain, I fear what would become of him. He needs a hand to hold, a voice to guide, someone that might help him find him a purpose for his gifts. I beg you, if you understand a mother's love for her son, keep him safe and may God save you both."

And this is the letter in the original script for 1x01:

"Gaius, my dear brother, I turn to you for I feel lost and alone, and know not who to trust. Merlin is my only child, to the eye his smiling face is like any other. It is every mother's fate to think her child is special and yet I would give my life that Merlin were not so. Ours is a small village and he is so clearly at odds with people here that if he were to remain I fear what would become of him. In these times, he needs a hand to hold, a voice to guide, someone that might help him find a purpose for his gifts. To this end, I hope and trust, my dear brother, that you will have it in your heart to be that person. I beg you, if you understand a mother's love for her son, keep him safe. And may God save you both." Also, if anyone is interested, post #13 here lists all the changes between the original script and the final version.

What's written on the note Arthur hand-delivers to Gwen in 2x10 Sweet Dreams?
    The best we could get is "I'm sorry, Gwen”. Someone asked Angel Coulby but she couldn't remember.

When will series 5 air?
    -The BBC has announced that they will only air 6 new episodes of Doctor Who during 2012 (5 episodes from series 7 + a Christmas Specia) and then 8 further ones during 2013 Source. The Doctor Who premiere will take place on September 1st Source with its 5th episode airing on September 29th before it goes on break.

-If Merlin is to fit its 13 episodes in the BBC's autumn schedule it should premiere on September 29th and finish on December 22nd, airing on the same night as Doctor Who as they did last year

-TPTB seem to believe that'd be the case as stated at the beginning of the 2nd scan here, here, here and here.

-According to CultFix Merlin series 5 will air on September 29th Source.

-The BBC has released its week 39 (Sep 29 - Oct 05) listing and Merlin is not on it. It might be added later on though.

-Another possibility is that it might premiere on Oct 6th like Merlin’s Keep informed yesterday in their series 5 picture update. In that case, it will run along until after Christmas unless a double parter (the finale?) airs on the same night.

Still more speculation than anything until any official statement is released.

When will series 5 air in the US?
    -Series 5 will premiere on Syfy on Friday January 4th, 2013 Source.
    Edited on 09/13/2012 5:09am
    Edited 9 total times.

KellyKKelly

[5]Sep 28, 2009
    • level: 8
    I've been trying to find Merlin on the tv schedule. I watched the first season on NBC and was awaiting the new season which apparently started on Sept 19. It's on on NBC's schedule, as far as I can see. I only have NBC, CBS, ABC, Fox, Showcase and Bravo.

boom-moo wrote:
    The second season premiered on Sept. 19 on BBC, but I've heard that it won't air on NBC until June 2010. There's no precise date yet though. USA has to wait until it's aired in the UK, apparently.

Thanks for that information. 2010? Maybe I'll wait and buy the DVDs.
    Edited on 08/18/2012 2:05pm
    Edited 2 total times.

boom-moo

[6]Sep 28, 2009
    You can also catch online I don't live in the UK either so I know how frustrating it is to wait for your favourite shows to arrive to your country. Plus I have to wait until they are dubbed and stuff so go figure!

ilee1990

[7]Sep 30, 2009
    • level: 10
    The episodes are available by Saturday afternoon. Thanks to the UK being several hours ahead of us.No way that I would wait until Spring to catch this season!

illegalferret

[8]Oct 1, 2009
    • level: 25

I don't think this really the right place to write this, but i was a bit unsure where to put it! Anyway there will be no Merlin on Saturday 17th October due to the qualifying for the Brazilian Grand Prix.

boom-moo

[9]Oct 1, 2009
    illegalferret wrote:
    I don't think this really the right place to write this, but i was a bit unsure where to put it! Anyway there will be no Merlin on Saturday 17th October due to the qualifying for the Brazilian Grand Prix.
    Meh, that's too bad Thanks for letting us know. And feel free to pm me if you need that any extra thread needs to be added.

Merthurslady

[10]Nov 28, 2009
    • level: 2
    This is kind of a technical question, so apologies if this is not appropriate to ask here, but I have just in the last few days found that I can no longer log onto the TV.com site on either my iphone or my Mac. They both use Safari. I can still get on on my works PC which uses Explorer. Is anyone else reporting any problems? I can now hardly ever post as I can't get in on the computers I use at home.

boom-moo

[11]Nov 29, 2009
    I don't use other devices than laptops to log in, so I'm sorry I can't help. You should check out and post your question here

pcdsa

[12]Jan 27, 2010
    • level: 12

Not sure if this belongs here. Just a very geeky question about the show's plot. None of my family / friends / work colleagues are interested in Merlin to discuss this with them so here goes.

Is magic banned in the other kingdoms? Because if not, why don't all the magical people stay there instead of always coming to Camelot?

The other kings mentioned so far are Bayard of Mercier in 1.04, Cendred (Ealdor lies in his kingdom) in 1.10 & 2.13, Odin in 2.02 & 2.08, and Olaf, Alined and two other unnamed kings in 2.10. Are there any others I missed?

Uther has a peace treaty with all these kings except for Cendred and Odin. I think part of the agreement is no use of magic in their kingdoms. I remember in 2.10 when Merlin asked Gaius to tell Uther that Alined used magic to enchant Arthur, Gaius refused because it could bring about war.

boom-moo

[13]Jan 27, 2010
    pcdsa wrote:
    None of my family / friends / work colleagues are interested in Merlin
    I feel your very same pain

I don't know if war is banned in the other kingdoms but I have the feeling that it is not. That is just a personal feeling though. Only Uther seems to be at odds with the Druids, for example. He expelled everyone who was in possession of magic from his kingdom, but I guess they were free to settle anywhere else, or almost anywhere else. If you come to think of it, most of them come to Camelot (apart from the obvious sake of dramatic plotline) to seek revenge against Uther: Mary Collins in 1x01, Nimueh all along series 1, Edward Muirden in 1x06, The Black Knight in 1x09, Tauren and Morgana in 1x13, Morgause in series 2, Alvarr and Mordred in 2x11 and the Dragon 2x13.

Others have a personal interest: Valiant in 1x02, Sophia and Aulfric in 1x07, the Druids in 1x08, Lady Catrina in 2x05 and 2x06 and Alined in 2x10.

And others just by chance: Anhora in 1x11, Cedric in 2x01, Freya in 2x09 and the Witchfinder is called in 2x07. I don't think you missed any king but sadly we never got to hear what their position towards magic is. I don't know if part of the agreement in the peace treaty was not to use magic, it could be.

However, in 2x10 when Merlin asked Gaius to tell Uther that Alined used magic and Gaius refused because it could bring about war, I think Uther would be mad because magic was used in his kingdom (where he has banned it) and not because some other king is using it or allowing it to be used. I don't think he'd declare war if Alined or any other would use magic and let it be used in their respective kingdoms, as long as it doesn't affect Camelot in any way, of course.

pcdsa

[14]Jan 28, 2010
    • level: 12

boom-moo, I love the fact that you are the number one Merlin superfan and your answer to my geeky question is so thoughtful. Absolute respect!!! Everything you've written makes sense - but Mary Collins came because Uther killed her son. What was he doing in Camelot? Also not sure about the Druids in 1.08.

boom-moo

[15]Jan 28, 2010
    You are very welcome, I can ramble for hours, I can't believe I found people to do it with because absolutely no one around me shares my Merlin obssession. Are they missing out or what?

No idea what Mary Collins' son was doing in Camelot. I guess not everyone gave up to their home, way of life, family and whatnot when Uther decided to ban magic. I believe many people with magical powers do still live in Camelot same as Merlin does, and it's only natural that from time to time someone is caught making use of their abilities (hasn't Merlin himself been at stake?). We don't know if Mary Collins' son was doing magic for good or not, so I assume he was just caught, or maybe given away or something *shrugs*

The Druids were apparently getting supplies. Maybe there are herbs or whatever that aren't available in their area? They didn't seem to have a hidden reason to be in Camelot.

ericsprau

[16]Apr 6, 2010
    • level: 11
    boom-moo wrote:
    The second season premiered on Sept. 19 on BBC, but I've heard that it won't air on NBC until June 2010. There's no precise date yet though. USA has to wait until it's aired in the UK, apparently.

NBC will NOT be airing Merlin this summer. SyFy just ran a marathon of the first season two weekends ago, so I'm assuming NBC Universal is going to air the second season on SyFy this year, instead of NBC.

Merlin's timeslot on NBC was preempted by Sunday's Family Movie Night.

boom-moo

[17]Apr 6, 2010
    Yeah, the info was posted in the "How many people in the USA are watching Merlin" thread.

www.syfy.com has listed the airing schedule for both Merlin series 1 and 2 episodes in his website

ericsprau

[18]Apr 6, 2010

Awesome. I may have to rewatch them then also...lol.

Alternatively, the corresponding US website for Merlin on SyFy is found here. Feel free to spread the word for American watchers. 2x02 airs this Friday.

Edited on 04/06/2010 12:04am

ericsprau

[19]Apr 29, 2010
    Esther, would you mind posting those fonts in here for everyone to find?