Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

General Q&A Thread (Updated August 18th, 2012)

boom-moo

[21]May 1, 2010
    • level: 75
    ericsprau wrote:
    Esther, would you mind posting those fonts in here for everyone to find?
    I don't mind at all

Merlin font: I couldn't find the font used in the Merlin opening credits but someone awesome and very gifted has done it herself and it looks great. You can find it here.

Merlin Secrets&Magic font: The font used is called 'Black Chancery', really easy to find making a Google search.

I have updated the first post with the most frequently asked questions

I have a question. Someone submitted the following about series 2: "This season no longer features a sword-clashing at the beginning and end of each commercial break."

I have never seen such sword-clashing or commercial in between the episode for that matter. I suspect the user who submitted is not from the UK since season 2 started airing recently in Australia and some other countries. Anyone knows anything about this?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ericsprau

[22]Jun 3, 2010
    • level: 11
    boom-moo wrote:
    I have a question. Someone submitted the following about series 2: "This season no longer features a sword-clashing at the beginning and end of each commercial break."

I have never seen such sword-clashing or commercial in between the episode for that matter. I suspect the user who submitted is not from the UK since season 2 started airing recently in Australia and some other countries. Anyone knows anything about this?

Never aired that way here in the US, for the first or second season.

As for Canadian viewers, CTV hasn't yet renewed Merlin. If they get SyFy network they can watch season 2 there, otherwise, it's just a waiting game.

QQXX123

[23]Jun 7, 2010
    • level: 7

ericsprau wrote:
    I have a question. Someone submitted the following about series 2: "This season no longer features a sword-clashing at the beginning and end of each commercial break." I have never seen such sword-clashing or commercial in between the episode for that matter.

Let me try to explain this. In the US, right before a commercial break, the Merlin "logo" (if that's what it is called) appears and we hear (but not see)the sound of swords clashing together. Apparently, now you just see the Merlin "logo". I imagine the person who submitted it was in the US or some other place that features commercials during the episode. Apparently, in the UK, there are no commercials during the show.

Edited on 06/07/2010 12:46pm

boom-moo

[24]Jun 7, 2010
    QQXX123 wrote:
    Let me try to explain this. In the US, right before a commercial break, the Merlin "logo" (if that's what it is called) appears and we hear (but not see)the sound of swords clashing together. Apparently, now you just see the Merlin "logo". I imagine the person who submitted it was in the US or some other place that features commercials during the episode. Apparently, in the UK, there are no commercials during the show.
    Thank you so much I ended up pm-ing the person who did the submission and I got the same explanation.

ericsprau

[25]Jun 12, 2010
    boom-moo wrote:
    QQXX123 wrote:
    Thank you so much I ended up pm-ing the person who did the submission and I got the same explanation.

Apparently this is region specific. I never see the logo or hear the swords clashing. Only at the very end before the preview of next weeks episode, and that was only during season 1.

boom-moo

[26]Jul 31, 2010
    I've heard that Julian Murphy is married to Lucy Watkins, the writer of 2x10. I've googled a bit but I couldn't find a good source to confirm the information. Does anyone know if this is legit?

cassiop_yeaaah

[27]Aug 9, 2010

Sorry BM, I don't know anything about that ...

I have another question, Why, in the show, did they call Morgan Morgana ?????

dpebbleson

[28]Aug 9, 2010
    • level: 23
    Indeed. Morgan le Fay is kind of a standard, but Morgana is among the variations on a theme. A form of mirage is called Fata Morgana, after Morgan le Fay, so it's one example where it occurs in that form. (Though it could be because of declinations in Latin, I'm not sure, it's been nine blissful years since I last had Latin lessons )

In some European languages it's kind of common to have female names ending in '-a', so it might be for clarity's sake.

Or maybe not to confuse Morgan le Fay and Colin Morgan

boom-moo

[29]Aug 9, 2010
    I don't know why but 'Morgana' sounds nicer to me. Might be cause the suffix -a at the end identifies feminine in my language.

dpebbleson

[30]Aug 9, 2010
    • level: 23
    It sounds nicer to me as well.

cassiop_yeaaah

[31]Aug 9, 2010

I think I like Morgan more (it is commonly used in my country and I have always heard about Morgan le fey so it is hard to change the old habit)

sarahhxox

[32]Sep 2, 2010
    • level: 2
    hey this is completly random and pointless but how come arthur doesnt seem to have scares from all his injuries?

boom-moo

[33]Sep 2, 2010
    Yeah, they aren't very good at continuity when it comes to Arthur's wounds but then he has way too many to keep track. He has been seriously wounded several times (to the point of drawing a lot of blood, the kind of wound tha would leave a good scar): Questing Beast, Great Dragon, Myror... but they aren't always noticeable in his (delightfully yummy) bareches scenes.

Out of memory, I recall a couple where they did a good job.
    -In 2x09 'The Lady of the Lake' when Merlin brings him the apple for breakfast, Arthur has some visible scratches on the upper left side of his chest (most likely from the gargoyle) but no trace of the wound Myror inflicted him in 2x02 'The Once and Future Queen'.
    -In 2x13 'The Last Dragonlord' when Gwen is healing the wound Arthur has just received from the Great Dragon, he has several other visible scars in his upper chest and shoulder (no trace of the wound Myror inflicted him in 2x02 'The Once and Future Queen' either.)

And in his barechest scenes in 2x01 and 2x05 he doesn't seem to have any scar at all.
    Edited on 09/02/2010 2:26am

sarahhxox

[34]Sep 2, 2010
    • level: 2

i never noticed them in 2x09 before im gonna look now

boom-moo

[35]Sep 2, 2010
    I posted a picture in the 2x09 episode rewatch thread, I think.

Edit: Yup, found it. Here you go:

Edited on 09/02/2010 2:25am

ACDiNosey

[36]Sep 2, 2010
    • level: 28

I wondered if anybody has been compiling a list of continuity mistakes for Merlin yet (just because it is just so much fun to spot). I'm not necessarily thinking of Arthur's wounds (although I would be prepared to watch every single shot of him bare-chested time and time again if that could help ) but more general things that seem to move/change colour/disappear in between shots.

I've just spotted one in S2E5 and it's made my day, but I wondered whether there's already some sort of catalogue of them.

boom-moo

[37]Sep 2, 2010
    It is not exactly a list of continuity mistakes but the episode guides contain those goofs we have spotted under the category of 'Trivia'. So go ahead and submit the one you've spotted, I'd be happy to add it

ericsprau

[38]Sep 5, 2010
    boom-moo wrote:
    Yeah, they aren't very good at continuity when it comes to Arthur's wounds but then he has way too many to keep track. He has been seriously wounded several times (to the point of drawing a lot of blood, the kind of wound tha would leave a good scar): Questing Beast, Great Dragon, Myror... but they aren't always noticeable in his (delightfully yummy) bareches scenes.

I attribute this to Gaius' superb medical treatment. It's an easy way of writing it off in my mind. Possibly the use of magic in Arthur's sleep to heal him.

ACDiNosey

[39]Sep 10, 2010
    • level: 28
    Hi, Can anybody tell me what's written on the note Arthur hand-delivers to Gwen in 2x10 Sweet Dreams?

Thanks

boom-moo

[40]Sep 10, 2010
    ACDiNosey wrote:
    Hi, Can anybody tell me what's written on the note Arthur hand-delivers to Gwen in 2x10 Sweet Dreams?

Thanks
    We can't tell for sure. After flipping the laptop around and zooming, the best we could get is "I'm sorry, Gwen" if I recall correctly. The discussion is at the 2x10 episode rewatch in case you are interested.

Someone asked Angel Coulby but she couldn't remember. Oh well.