Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

General Q&A Thread (Updated August 18th, 2012)

DMarie1184

[541]Dec 30, 2012
    • level: 1

I guess I wasn't too far off then! I always figured they were around 18 (at least Merlin) since the intro of the show always called him a young boy until the third or fourth season.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

PenguinSuzie

[542]Dec 30, 2012
    • level: 10

boom-moo wrote:
    I think that Morgana is supposed to be 1 to 3 years older than Arthur but no more.
    That's how I see it. While Bradley and Katie were apparently born on the same year.

I don't know why they'd make Gwen younger than Morgana. It's not like it would be necessary for her relationship with Arthur. Maybe she's the same age as Morgana? Or do you think she's definitely younger than Arthur, or the same age as him? I can't imagine S1 Gwen being younger than 22 to be honest.

I always thought since the voice over was Kilgharrah that since he's probably thousands of years old that any human age would seem awfully young to him. Maybe Merlin was getting annoyed at him for always referring to him as young boy so that's why he changed it (possible in-verse reason) XD (not that he could hear the voice over but still)

Edited on 12/30/2012 10:48am
    Edited 3 total times.

boom-moo

[543]Dec 30, 2012
    • level: 75
    PenguinSuzie wrote:

Maybe she's the same age as Morgana? Or do you think she's definitely younger than Arthur, or the same age as him? I can't imagine S1 Gwen being younger than 22 to be honest.

No, she is not the same age as Morgana, she is definitely younger. Can't recall if Arthur and Gwen were of the same age and Merlin younger or Arthur and Merlin of the same age and Gwen younger but I think it was the first. S1 Gwen was (according to TPTB) 20 years old at most.

PenguinSuzie

[544]Dec 30, 2012

boom-moo wrote:
    No, she is not the same age as Morgana, she is definitely younger. Can't recall if Arthur and Gwen were of the same age and Merlin younger or Arthur and Merlin of the same age and Gwen younger but I think it was the first. S1 Gwen was (according to TPTB) 20 years old at most.
    That really doesn't fit to me at all. I'm sure I heard it several times from several different people that she was the oldest. That's so weird. Well either way I'll always think of her as the oldest of the four. Since I have this whole time and it just fits better IMO.

Where did they say she was 20 at the most? That seems really young, that means she might have been younger than Merlin in S1! Since Bradley mentioned they were in their early 20's and that's how I always saw it to, I think Merlin may have been early 20 at the beginning rather than 19. Just almost a year younger than Arthur.

I'm surprised how many people seem to think that Morgana was younger than Arthur because of what Uther said about her not being there yet. Though I'm pretty sure he was referring to the fact that her father wasn't dead yet and she just hadn't moved there by then rather than an indication that she hadn't been born yet.

Regardless of what TPTB say, how do you view their ages?

Edited on 12/30/2012 2:20pm
    Edited 2 total times.

boom-moo

[545]Dec 30, 2012
    You can obviously think what suits you better, I'm just stating what TPTB replied when they were asked about it If I come across the interview I'll post it, it was part of a panel but I'm not really up to going through them all to find it. I recall perfectly well that Morgana was said to be the oldest.

PenguinSuzie wrote:
    Where did they say she was 20 at the most? That seems really young, that means she might have been younger than Merlin in S1!
    They didn't mention any age. They just said that Morgana was the oldest of the four, and again, I can't recall if then Arthur and Gwen were of an age and Merlin younger or Arthur and Merlin were of an age and Gwen younger, but I think it was the first. But in either case, since Arthur turns 21 in 1x09, Gwen has to be 20 top at the beginning of s1. Now, if you want to think of them as older or younger than TPTB meant them to be then that's a different story.

PenguinSuzie wrote:

I'm surprised how many people seem to think that Morgana was younger than Arthur because of what Uther said about her not being there yet. Though I'm pretty sure he was referring to the fact that her father wasn't dead yet and she just hadn't moved there by then rather than an indication that she hadn't been born yet.

Exactly. If I recall it correctly Morgana went to live to Camelot as Uther's ward when she was 11.
    PenguinSuzie wrote:

Regardless of what TPTB say, how do you view their ages?

I'm think of them from older to younger Morgana > Arthur > Gwen > Merlin, although Arthur and Gwen are interchangeable to me. Basically, I'm fine with TPTB's notion

PenguinSuzie

[547]Dec 30, 2012
    boom-moo wrote:
    I'm think of them from older to younger Morgana > Arthur > Gwen > Merlin, although Arthur and Gwen are interchangeable to me. Basically, I'm fine with TPTB's notion
    Cool.

Gwen is just so much more mature than the rest of them I thought she'd grown up somewhat alongside Leon without some really huge age gap between them (more than 8 years). Though he could be a lot younger than I think of him (somewhere around 32 in S2). She'd been serving Morgana for many years by the start of the show (I'd imagine for 6 years at the very least,) and I don't think a young child would have been employed for such a job.

Sorry for going on about it It's sort of interesting to me, even if it is screwing with my Merlin!World view a little bit.

DMarie1184

[548]Dec 30, 2012

PenguinSuzie wrote:
    Gwen is just so much more mature than the rest of them I thought she'd grown up somewhat alongside Leon without some really huge age gap between them (more than 8 years). Though he could be a lot younger than I think of him (somewhere around 32 in S2). She'd been serving Morgana for many years by the start of the show (I'd imagine for 6 years at the very least,) and I don't think a young child would have been employed for such a job. Sorry for going on about it It's sort of interesting to me, even if it is screwing with my Merlin!World view a little bit.

I agree, but I think Gwen's maturity comes from the position she's had. She seemed to have gone through a lot in life (did they ever mention what happened to her mother?). Then again, she could've just been one of those "mature for her age" types. I always thought Merlin was quite young--18 when he came--and then Gwen as around 19 or 20, just like Arthur, and Morgana 21 or 22.

boom-moo

[549]Dec 31, 2012
    DMarie1184 wrote:

I think Gwen's maturity comes from the position she's had. She seemed to have gone through a lot in life (did they ever mention what happened to her mother?). Then again, she could've just been one of those "mature for her age" types.

Absolutely. And it wasn't at all unusual for "low born" girls to start working since very young as maids (if they were lucky) or as anything else (if they weren't).

PenguinSuzie wrote:
    I thought she'd grown up somewhat alongside Leon without some really huge age gap between them (more than 8 years). Though he could be a lot younger than I think of him (somewhere around 32 in S2).
    I think Leon is definitely younger than 32 when he is first introduced. On the knights I only recall TPTB saying that Percival is (supposed to be) the youngest, but nothing on ages or on the rest.

Anyway, this should be moved to the UFOM as it's turned into discussion. Thanks

PaperHeart

[550]Jan 1, 2013

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this - it's a question just not about the show.

How do people quote people's messages and have it placed in a quote box in their post? I tried to quote someone using the quote button but it just came out unboxed with'QUOTE' at either end.

Thanks!

boom-moo

[551]Jan 1, 2013
    The quote button should have worked. Anyway, you just need to do the following:

[QUxOTE="PaperHeart"]*quoted text goes here*[/QUxOTE] ---> You just need to remove the "x" in both [ ] (and have the correct user in between " " in the first [ ] so it looks:

PaperHeart wrote:
    *quoted text goes here*
    Edited on 01/01/2013 2:27pm
    Edited 3 total times.

PaperHeart

[552]Jan 1, 2013

boom-moo wrote:
    The quote button should have worked. Anyway, you just need to do the following: [QUxOTE="PaperHeart"]*quoted text goes here*[/QUxOTE] ---> You just need to remove the "x" in both [ ] (and have the correct user in between " " in the first [ ] so it looks:
    PaperHeart wrote:
    *quoted text goes here*

Thanks BM, will give it a go. I'm hopeless at forum postings

boom-moo

[553]Jan 1, 2013
    Well, you did just fine

Anyway, the best way to know how anything is done is to quote any entry who contains what you want to do and observe how it's been done. And you can actually copy and paste if needed.

PaperHeart

[554]Jan 1, 2013

Yep, the quote button worked this time - makes life a lot easier!

One more thing, how do you edit your post instead of making double ones?

Oops - NM, I think I just worked it out. Will get there eventually

Edited on 01/01/2013 3:41pm

boom-moo

[555]Jan 1, 2013
    Good Feel free to pm me (aka send me a private message using the feature at the top left corner of the screen, the grey square right by your nickname or you can also click on my username and then on "send message") if you need any instruction. Asking here is fine too.

ozmerlinfan

[556]Jan 4, 2013
    Hi

I'm new and have only just signed up and was hoping if someone can help me.

Can someone tell me how I log out. I click on the down arrow at the top of this page and then click on logout and nothing happens. I'm still logged in. I even tried closing down and re starting my computer and when I came back, I was still logged in.

How do you log out?

boom-moo

[557]Jan 5, 2013
    Hello ozmerlinfan

You are logging off the right way. The thing is that the site tends to be very glitchy and stuff like that happens quite often. Maybe trying a different browser would help matter, although that's not always the case.

exactimondi

[558]Jan 12, 2013
    • level: 4

You mentioned in one of the threads that all off-topic discussions should now move to the Off-topic forum. I was wondering if you meant there was one specifically for Merlin fans, if so where? (I was going to ask if anyone had seen Privates but I haven't been on this forum in a while and saw the Tavern was now shut) Thanks

boom-moo

[560]Jan 12, 2013
    The site has a forum for Privates here. No, there isn't any off topic thread or forum specifically for Merlin fans but you can find the off-topic forum here.