Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

General Q&A Thread (Updated August 18th, 2012)

boom-moo

[81]Sep 24, 2010
    • level: 75
    camelotkitty12 wrote:
    I have watched season 3 parts one and two, but those are without subtitles in them. Does anyone know where I can find them WITH subtitles in them? I've looked, but am still having some trouble finding a link. thanks muchly!!
    Why don't you download the subtitles? Sounds way faster to me than finding the episodes with the subtitles in.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

camelotkitty12

[82]Sep 24, 2010
    • level: 5

well i press download and it prints them out on notepad. I've done that. I don't know how to download them into the video i'm watching. for example, megavideo doesn't have any links, to insert subs at. and I can't save to my PC unless I pay for it. So----am having just a little trouble. There IS a link at youku.com that hasMerlin eps with chinese and english subtitles, but since the homepage is in chinese, I cannot find merlin season 3 eps 1 and 2 on there, with subtitles. I did try a translator...but that took forever to do.

I wish that HULU would hurry up and put Merlin season 2 and 3 on there!! they have captions, but they only have merlin season 1 on there. What are they waiting for, anyhoo?

I suppose I'll just hafta make do, with what I CAN do. just like Merlin. Thanks all for your help on this. If anyone happens to find season 3 with subs in there, plz list it here or send me a PM.

Edited on 09/24/2010 10:36am

dpebbleson

[83]Sep 24, 2010
    • level: 23
    If it's a .srt or .sub file, you should be able to open it with the video player you're using.

Use, for example, VLC player. Play the 'Merlin' .avi file, and then drag and drop the subtitle file onto the screen of VLC while playing 'Merlin' and it should solve the issue.

You can, of course, set the font size and other stuff in the player.

camelotkitty12

[84]Sep 24, 2010

I THOUGHT i had REALplayer on my PC but it looks like I don't. How do i open real player anyway?

dpebbleson

[85]Sep 24, 2010
    Download it from Internet, it shouldn't be too hard to find it if you google it.

camelotkitty12

[86]Sep 25, 2010

dpebbleson wrote:
    Download it from Internet, it shouldn't be too hard to find it if you google it.

thanks I found it. then i decided not to keep it. I'll just print the subs out and then read them and watch the movie. I'm not that computer-savvy as you are.

QUESTION--isn't there a thread on here where we post pictures of merlin clips, for no reason (Not the guess the picture thread) I'm still looking for castle pics, Merlin's keep didn't have any that I liked, and their pic gallery seems to be closed until October 1st. thanks muchly!!

dpebbleson

[87]Sep 26, 2010
    Everything 'Merlin' - related but not spoilerish is to be posted in "The United Fans of Merlin" thread.

Maybe there are some pictures posted there, but it's a long thread, so maybe better to search Pierrefonds at google

camelotkitty12

[88]Sep 26, 2010

OK thank you!!

geesh I'm sure glad we can edit messages even after a few days. Question-- can someone plz tell me how to add contacts into my PMthing here? thanks.

Edited on 09/27/2010 11:58am

Connor91

[89]Oct 3, 2010
    • level: 6
    I was going to ask this in the spoilers thread but seeing as its been in the series thus far and was in the trailer for the next episode I'm guessing its not strictly a spoiler.

Basically, why is Merlin so keen to protect Uther? Now, I understand why he didn't want Arthur to kill Uther in Sins of the Father but Morgana is obviously not going to feel the same remorse that Arthur would so why not just let her do it? I mean, I know Merlin's 'good' etc.etc. but I don't really see that as sufficient reason on the shows behalf. I mean he was willing to kill Morgana for the greater good so why not let Uther die? You can argue that Arthur would be upset etc. and Merlin doesn't want that but Arthur would obviously get over it. I mean Uther doesn't like Merlin, Merlin doesn't like Uther, Uther is just as oppressive towards Merlin as anybody else and all Merlin talks about is how great a king Arthur is going to be. So beyond 'he's good' or 'he doesn't want Arthur to be upset' I can't really see any other reasoning as to why Merlin would want to save him?

pcdsa

[90]Oct 3, 2010
    • level: 12
    I agree but then we wouldn't have the series. Uther's hatred of magic is essential to the show.

dpebbleson

[91]Oct 3, 2010
    camelotkitty12 wrote:

OK thank you!!

geesh I'm sure glad we can edit messages even after a few days. Question-- can someone plz tell me how to add contacts into my PMthing here? thanks.

You go to a person' profile and on the right part of the screen, under person's avatar picture there is button "Start following". That should do the job. If the person responds by following you, you become friends.

I'd have added you, but you set your profile to private.

Connor91

[92]Oct 3, 2010
    • level: 6
    pcdsa wrote:
    I agree but then we wouldn't have the series. Uther's hatred of magic is essential to the show.

Yeah, I'm not expecting Uther to die and I don't really want it to happen either I just would like a believable reason as to why Merlin is so keen to let him live. The writers find strong enough reasons for everything else. I completely understand Merlin's opposition towards Morgana, even though she is effectively (and unknowingly) fighting for people like him. But he was right when he said that Morgana of all people could change Uther's views on magic without resorting to evil. We just haven't really had a reason like that for why Merlin would want Uther to live. It is afterall Merlin's destiny to allow Arthur to become the greatest king Camelot has ever known, so saving Uther isn't all that neccesary. I guess one could argue that Arthur isn't ready to be king just yet and so if he came to the throne prematurely he may not fulfil his destiny, thus Uther should live until Arthur is completely ready for the throne but thats just me speculating, I don't think its ever been properly explained.

WitchyWeasel88

[93]Oct 3, 2010
    • level: 14

Connor91 wrote:
    pcdsa wrote:
    I guess one could argue that Arthur isn't ready to be king just yet and so if he came to the throne prematurely he may not fulfil his destiny, thus Uther should live until Arthur is completely ready for the throne but thats just me speculating, I don't think its ever been properly explained.

That's my opinion on the matter and although it's not necessarily relevant in all the situations the show has thrown at us, if Uther were to die as a direct or indirect consequence of magic, I feel that Arthur would be more likely to follow in his father's footsteps, opposing magic. Also morality is far from easily defined and doesn't always go hand in hand with logic .

Edited on 10/03/2010 4:41am

boom-moo

[94]Oct 3, 2010
    WitchyWeasel88 wrote:

Connor91 wrote:
    I guess one could argue that Arthur isn't ready to be king just yet and so if he came to the throne prematurely he may not fulfil his destiny, thus Uther should live until Arthur is completely ready for the throne but thats just me speculating, I don't think its ever been properly explained.

That's my opinion on the matter and although it's not necessarily relevant in all the situations the show has thrown at us, if Uther were to die as a direct or indirect consequence of magic, I feel that Arthur would be more likely to follow in his father's footsteps, opposing magic. Also morality is far from easily defined and doesn't always go hand in hand with logic .

I agree with you guys. It's been a while since 1x13 but I think that this still applies:
    Merlin: Do you think Uther's a good king?
    Gaius: Sorry?
    Merlin: Uther. Do you think he's good for the kingdom?
    Gaius: Yes. Yes, I do. In the light of recent events, you may find that hard to believe. Merlin: Hard? No. Impossible? Definitely.
    Gaius: Merlin...
    Merlin: Everyone hates him. Gaius: It is not Uther's job to be liked. It is Uther's job to protect the kingdom. Most of his methods are right. Sometimes he may go too far.
    Merlin: Really? You mean like executing anyone who even passes a sorcerer on the street?
    Gaius: Yes. Despite Uther's failings, he has brought peace and prosperity to this kingdom. Merlin: But at what cost? At the cost of women and children, fathers and sons! When will it end?
    Gaius: It will end when Arthur is king. Merlin: Then why not let that time be now? Why not let Arthur be king?
    Gaius: Arthur's not ready. The responsibility would be too great. Brave though he may be, he lacks experience, he lacks judgement. Is there anything you want to tell me?
    Merlin: I can't... I just... No, I can't. You've just got to trust me. Gaius, it's something I've got to work out for myself. Gaius: I do trust you, Merlin. Whatever it is, I know you'll make the right decision.

I even think that if someone would shoot an arrow to Morgana, Merlin would freeze it or divert it or whatever. It's not in him to let people die if he can avoid it, no matter how convenient those deaths would be for him.

pcdsa

[95]Oct 3, 2010

I actually think Arthur is ready to be king. Yes he lacks experience but his judgement is certainly better than Uther's. I can see a little bit how Uther's death may strengthen his opposition to magic but not to the extent as Ygraine's death did to Uther. Arthur has that inherent fairness that Uther lacks to see not all magic is evil. Arthur did after all in 2.13 insist on seeking out the Dragonlord when Uther said it wasn't an option. So I think the answer is this

boom-moo wrote:
    It's not in him to let people die if he can avoid it, no matter how convenient those deaths would be for him.

and Merlin knows if he allowed Uther to die and he could have stopped it, then his relationship with Arthur would be irrevocably damaged. I would be a bigger betrayal to Arthur than keeping his magic secret.

boom-moo

[96]Oct 3, 2010
    The thing is that Arthur is content in the 'comfortable' position of being the heir, and he doesn't realize he'd make a great king already. I guess it's happened to all of us that we don't think we are ready for something until we are thrown out there and we have no other choice than dealing with it. If Uther wouldn't be that... that Uther Lol he should let Arthur take some decisions and assume some other responsibilities than being the best fighter ever. That way, Arthur might not feel that insecure, hesitant and loss when his day to reign comes.

pcdsa

[97]Oct 3, 2010
    Absolutely. You only know your real potential when you are thrown in at the deep end. Maybe there will come a time when Arthur becomes frustrated but at the moment his love / loyalty to Uther comes first.

camelotkitty12

[98]Oct 3, 2010

sorry to burst in on this, but isn't this a question and answer thread?

Oh well...thanks for answering my questions abt contacts. I'll go set mine to public...It's easier to send pm's when you don't hafta keep typing in the person's name!!

I do have a question!!

Where does the series get those beautiful horses that they use for the show?

boom-moo

[99]Oct 3, 2010
    Questions about the show plotlines usually derive into discussions and that is ok Not all questions have a single reply.

camelotkitty12 wrote:

Where does the series get those beautiful horses that they use for the show?

Dolbadarn Film Horses is the Welsh company that supplied horses during the second season of Merlin. Bradley James rode Rabanete and Colin Morgan rode Diablo for most of the time. Their website and Facebook site has pics of the show. I know they also use some French horses (I forgot the name of the company that supplies them, it's somewhere in my many notes) and for The Beauty and the Beast I think they used some Spanish horses.

Asesia

[100]Oct 7, 2010
    Does anyone know if there is a forum or a live journal that has a form of directory for behind the scenes filming video and photos of season 2? similar to the season 3 spoiler thread. I would love to see behind the scenes stuff and speculation talks from season 2. Thanks