Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

General Q&A Thread (Updated August 18th, 2012)

boom-moo

[101]Oct 7, 2010
    • level: 75
    Sorry Asesia, I don't know of any site that has a compilation of them although I might have some links from different sites at home.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ACDiNosey

[102]Oct 7, 2010
    • level: 28
    Does anyone know how big Camelot is meant to be? I was just wondering how many knights there are and why on earth do they live in Camelot. In theory, knights are people with estates, land and castle(s) on the land of the king. But here they all seem to be living in Camelot... and to be renewed rather frequently and easily. Hmmm...

boom-moo

[103]Oct 7, 2010
    It's one of those things that don't compute, ACD. The knights of Camelot don't sound too numerous to me (when Arthur trains them, they are hardly 20 of them). They have to be of noble descent and their fathers sworn allegiance to Uther. As you said, those noblemen must have states and lands somewhere in Camelot, so I guess Camelot must be really big indeed (those noblemen never seem to come in Uther's help though, but depending on how far they live, they might not get wind of the many evils that threat Camelot on an almost daily basis). This kind of makes sense so far (but wasn't Hunith's village in the border with another kingdom and they reached it after a day trip?)

Anyway, there are many casualties between Camelot knights, so I guess that either new ones apply or Arthur recruits from that army of 10,000 men we heard of in 3x01 and 3x02. Camelot knights are supposed to be the strongest and the bravest, so I guess that Arthur finds substitues for those fallen in the army (although again, if he doesn't recruit from the army where do the new knights come from? That sounds like tons of noblemen that again point to a way bigger kingdom than it seems).

However, in 3x01 and 3x02 we could see some 100 men standing in the castle main square and they were all wearing the red cloak that seems to suggest they were Camelot knights, which doesn't make much sense.

And where do those 10,000 army people live? Not computing at all.

WitchyWeasel88

[104]Oct 7, 2010
    • level: 14

There is this map of Camelot taken from the BBC's website (via scrying glass). I expect it's probably being posted somewhere already though. Unfortunately it's from series 1, hardly to scale, and doesn't extend fully north and south, neither does it show any other settlements apart from the city of Camelot and Ealdor just beyond the border. In other words it's pretty useless

Tsk, tsk. . . It looks like Uther is conjuring knights as if by magic.

dpebbleson

[105]Oct 7, 2010
    • level: 23
    These people from the army probably live in outlying villages, i.e. not only in the capital, but all around.

I seem to remember there was a map of Camelot...

Maybe Arthur trains just some of them, or in turns. Or he maybe just trains novices, not all of them. Seems hard to believe that he'd train Sir Leon for example, or Uther (who must also be a knight).

There are noblemen around Uther when he has those councils. I always notice some old guy with a really long beard who has been recurrent since S1.

boom-moo

[106]Oct 7, 2010
    Lol yeah, we had some fun with the map that mostly features stuff that has already been mentioned in the show There are promo pics in which Camelot is by a big lake, nowhere to be seen in the map or the show though.

pcdsa

[107]Oct 8, 2010
    • level: 12
    I think the army consists of ordinary men - they were dressed differently from the knights.

camelotkitty12

[108]Oct 8, 2010
    • level: 5

The knights of Camelot are supposed to be just sons of nobles, so maybe theyhave room and board at the castle, within the big city walls, like they do at an army base? Arthur's the only one who seems to train the new recruits. I like seeing that. some make it, and some fail.

Thatold guy with the long beard-- I do wish we knew who he was...my guess is he's one of Uther's advisors. I've seen him in almost every episode.

Edited to ask a question----

In Goblin's Gold, 3x3 and in Le Morte D'Arthur, 1x13 The magic book was shown to us viewers. I could SWEAR it's the same book.....same spells, but it DID have a different cover, I think. Did anyone else notice this?

Edited on 10/09/2010 7:36pm

D-syfer

[109]Oct 29, 2010
    • level: 10

camelotkitty12 wrote:

In Goblin's Gold, 3x3 and in Le Morte D'Arthur, 1x13 The magic book was shown to us viewers. I could SWEAR it's the same book.....same spells, but it DID have a different cover, I think. Did anyone else notice this?

The Magic book in 1x13 is Merlin's magic book which was given to him by Gaius. It could be that Merlin's magic book and the magic book in 3x3 had the same scribe.

Or maybe the props people of Merlin recycled the pages of Merlin's magic book for the magic book in the 3x3 epi. But I got to say the artwork they've done to the magic book was quiet impressive. A lot of detail was done to the pages.

I have a question too. If Uther believed in arranged marriage then could it be that his marriage to Ygraine was arranged too? And could it be that they didn't love each other at first but had developed through the course of their relationship?

Edited on 10/29/2010 10:44pm

WitchyWeasel88

[110]Oct 30, 2010
    • level: 14

camelotkitty12 wrote:
    I noticed this (in fact I joked about it in 'Things we've learnt whilst watching Merlin' after Goblin's Gold) and you're right, they're the same spells, but the even stranger thing is that the pages aren't actually identical, just very VERY similar. The border around one of the pages is different and there may be other differences I can't remember off the top of my head. Mind you, when Merlin is magially flicking through the pages in 1x13, if you keep pausing it you'll notice a lot of duplicate pages (or very nearly) so it's also perfectly probable that it IS Merlin's book re-covered.

D-syfer wrote:
    I have a question too. If Uther believed in arranged marriage then could it be that his marriage to Ygraine was arranged too? And could it be that they didn't love each other at first but had developed through the course of their relationship?

Obviously we don't know but I think it's perfectly possible.

clbirty

[111]Oct 31, 2010
    • level: 4
    Wasnt sure where to put this. Sorry if its already been mentioned. I have just seen an advert for a braun shaver and eoin macken aka gwaine was in it. How exciting. I was shouting its gwaine at the television.

boom-moo

[112]Oct 31, 2010
    clbirty wrote:
    Wasnt sure where to put this. Sorry if its already been mentioned. I have just seen an advert for a braun shaver and eoin macken aka gwaine was in it. How exciting. I was shouting its gwaine at the television.
    I posted a link at the United Fans of Merlin thread some days ago

arwyn-t

[113]Nov 26, 2010
    • level: 6

Moving this question from another thread to here:

-> Does anyone know what music is playing in the first series 3 trailers and now in the 3x12/13 trailer?

I know that in the ComicCon trailer and the second big one it was 'Two Steps From Hell''s "Armada", wonderful music! I've tried looking into many of their other work, but the 3x01/3x12/13 music escapes me. I've spent the last hours roaming YouTube and haven't found it. Maybe it's not TSFH, maybe it's 'Immediate Music', 'X-Ray Dog', 'Epic Score' or some other soundtrack music making group.

Any ideas? Thanks!

cassiop_yeaaah

[114]Nov 27, 2010
    • level: 7

Thank you arwyn for the name of the musicians!! I love this kind of music but didn't know where I could find it (musics from trailers are so hard to find).

I am sorry I can't help you but do you know the name of the song of the first saison trailer ? by any chance ...

arwyn-t

[115]Nov 28, 2010
    • level: 6

cassiop_yeaaah wrote:

Thank you arwyn for the name of the musicians!! I love this kind of music but didn't know where I could find it (musics from trailers are so hard to find).

I am sorry I can't help you but do you know the name of the song of the first saison trailer ? by any chance ...

No, I'm sorry, I don't know it. I've listened to a lot of "epic" music scores in YouTube these last days, trying to find the piece in the 3x12/13 trailer, but I don't think I've come across the one in the season 1 trailer either.

ManiacBishop

[116]Nov 28, 2010
    • level: 2
    where can i post about chat/spoilers?
    Edited on 11/28/2010 11:34am

boom-moo

[117]Nov 28, 2010
    The spoilers thread is the only thread where spoilers are allowed. I edited your question because it was spoilerish itself
    Edited on 11/28/2010 11:34am

ManiacBishop

[118]Nov 28, 2010
    • level: 2
    where's the lancelot chat supposed to be?
    Edited on 11/28/2010 11:44am

boom-moo

[119]Nov 28, 2010
    Lancelot thread here

Lancelot and Gwen thread here

No spoilers allowed in either.

Asesia

[120]Dec 15, 2010
    • level: 5

Hey, does anyone remember where to find the image of Morgana seen in the banner on this page?

http://community.livejournal.com/gwaine_morgana/

I've been looking for it everywhere and can't find it :S

Thanks !

Edited on 12/15/2010 2:10am
    Edited 2 total times.