Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

Merlin & Arthur - Two Sides of the Same Coin

How do you want Merlin's secret to be revealed to Arthur?

dpebbleson

[21]Sep 12, 2010
    • level: 23
    We'll have a stressful hiatus for all things we forgot to do...
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

D-syfer

[22]Sep 15, 2010
    • level: 10
    boom-moo wrote:
    Lol

Arthur calls Merlin a 'girl's petticoat', a 'wimp' and recurrently and 'idiot'.

We should have compiled a list when we rewatched the first two season to keep adding on. Oh well.

How about 'bumpkin'

boom-moo

[23]Sep 16, 2010
    • level: 75
    That too!

CliqueClack TV has running poll to find out the Best TV Duo currently on TV here. Guess who made it to the poll

D-syfer

[24]Sep 16, 2010
    • level: 10

Cool! They also made it in the SFX Website's Top Great bromances Last August. here

boom-moo

[25]Sep 16, 2010
    Yes, we did vote there too

illegalferret

[26]Sep 16, 2010
    • level: 25

boom-moo wrote:
    That too! CliqueClack TV has running poll to find out the Best TV Duo currently on TV here. Guess who made it to the poll

Voted! They're currently 2nd!

boom-moo

[27]Sep 16, 2010
    Feel free to keep adding

What Arthur calls Merlin wrote:
    1x07 Bufoon.
    2x04 Idiot.
    2x09 Bumpkin.
    3x01 A girl's petticoat, Wimp.

What Merlin calls Arthur wrote:
    1x01 Prat.
    2x01 Clotpole.
    3x01 Dollophead.

So glad not to be alone about this
    Edited on 09/17/2010 12:43pm

pcdsa

[28]Sep 18, 2010
    • level: 12

3.02 Arthur calls Merlin a half-wit.

boom-moo

[29]Sep 18, 2010
    And and idiot again.

What Arthur calls Merlin wrote:
    1x07 Bufoon.
    2x04 Idiot.
    2x09 Bumpkin.
    3x01 A girl's petticoat, Wimp.
    3x02 Half-wit, idiot.

What Merlin calls Arthur wrote:
    1x01 Prat.
    2x01 Clotpole.
    3x01 Dollophead.

3x03 Merlin and Arthur scenes here
    Edited on 09/26/2010 12:24pm

pcdsa

[30]Oct 2, 2010

I've opened a poll on how you would like Merlin's secret to be revealed to Arthur. Please vote and if you like post your reasons here or any alternative ideas for the reveal.

Most times I want Merlin to simply tell Arthur because it will show that Merlin trusts Arthur. Other times I want Arthur to figure it out for himself so that people will stop calling him dumb. Sometimes I would so love the Great Dragon to tell Arthur everything and that they are two sides of the same coin!!! Arthur would probably fall down unconscious with shock!!!

Oh here's a delicious thought. Morgana finds out and then there is a race between them to tell Arthur first. Merlin just gets there and Arthur has little time to decide to trust Merlin or Morgana... He obviously chooses Merlin . How wonderful that would be? Later we can have the tears and tantrums...

I don't want Guinevere to find out before Arthur and she keeps it a secret. That would be another betrayal for Arthur and it would mean Merlin trusts Guinevere more that Arthur .

Anyway as you can see, apart from involving Guinevere, I don't mind how the reveal is done except that it is done and done soon.

boom-moo

[31]Oct 2, 2010
    I voted "Arthur figures it out for himself". Arthur won't figure it out just out of the blue, but I want him to put two and two together and become aware of what's going and what has been going on on his own. That'll bring some interesting moral conflict inside Arthur, between the values he's been raised in and his own set of values, built out of life experience.

Then I expect an Arthur-Merlin talk where Arthur shows his thought process about it all, for example offering examples of those situations that led him to finally lear the truth. He could corner Merlin by mentioning some of those situations and when Merlin has no other escape than folding, Arthur would say that it is alright, that he understands and that he appreciates and trusts Merlin as the great friend he is.

I think that if Morgana would find out she would run to tell Uther rather than Arthur. If Merlin decides to tell Arthur then it would be a Uther&Morgana vs Merlin&Arthur interesting scene. Providing that Arthur digests it all fast enough to side with Merlin without hesitation.

But I wouldn't like Merlin to be forced to tell Arthur about it. If he is to tell him, it must be because Merlin thinks Arthur is ready.

Also I don't like the idea of Gwen learning about it first and either keeping it from Arthur while slowly preparing him for the truth. Too moral compasing and yeah, kind of betrayal as well.

illegalferret

[32]Oct 2, 2010
    • level: 25

pcdsa wrote:

Most times I want Merlin to simply tell Arthur because it will show that Merlin trusts Arthur. Other times I want Arthur to figure it out for himself so that people will stop calling him dumb. Sometimes I would so love the Great Dragon to tell Arthur everything and that they are two sides of the same coin!!! Arthur would probably fall down unconscious with shock!!!

Would he fall over in shock because he's discovered a talking dragon or because Merlin has magic?

I voted for Arthur to figure it out for himself, because if he's going to be king he needs to be relatively clever and Merlin is becoming less and less obvious by the week! So surely it's only a matter of time before Arthur clicks, he's already commenting more on how he can't quite work Merlin out so fingers crossed he clicks sooner rather than later!

pcdsa

[33]Oct 2, 2010

That's true, Merlin is giving Arthur so many hints...

boom-moo wrote:
    I think that if Morgana would find out she would run to tell Uther rather than Arthur. If Merlin decides to tell Arthur then it would be a Uther&Morgana vs Merlin&Arthur interesting scene. Providing that Arthur digests it all fast enough to side with Merlin without hesitation.

Thats sound exciting and I have faith in Arthur ...

boom-moo wrote:
    But I wouldn't like Merlin to be forced to tell Arthur about it. If he is to tell him, it must be because Merlin thinks Arthur is ready.

Or really when Merlin fully trusts Arthur!!!

dpebbleson

[34]Oct 2, 2010
    • level: 23
    I voted for "Arthur, unobserved by Merlin, sees Merlin perform magic." It would stun him completely. I don't think he would run to Uther to tell him anything; at first he might rush to tell Merlin, but would have second thoughts about it. Nonetheless, some of the result might overlap with "He finds out on his own" alternative, as he might then be in serious doubts and would look at Merlin differently until he made peace with it.

I have no problem about Guinevere knowing. She doesn't hold grudge against magic. She could be the connecting element between old and new kingdom. But not a moral compass, I wouldn't like it if she was the one to persuade Arthur, though. I would more prefer it if she was to represent the voice of common people who don't have so much against magic.

Liviana178

[35]Oct 2, 2010
    • level: 3

pcdsa wrote:

These are exactly my wishes and hopes, too.

But however, I voted for "Merlin doing magic in front of Arthur" because I also like the idea of them being helpless and Merlin needs to practice his magic so they can escape (or something like that).

pcdsa wrote:

I don't want Guinevere to find out before Arthur and she keeps it a secret. That would be another betrayal for Arthur and it would mean Merlin trusts Guinevere more that Arthur .

WitchyWeasel88

[36]Oct 2, 2010
    • level: 14

It was a toss up for me between, 'Arthur figures it out' and 'Arthur, unobserved, sees Merlin's magic'. In the end I went for Arthur figuring it out because I think that Arthur thinking and reaching conclusions about the nature of magic and his trust for Merlin is something he needs to do on his own. That said, I think Arthur will need a nudge in the right direction to get the cogs turning, so actually a combination of these two options would work best in my opinion. Arthur sees something magical, but not something big enough that he would be immediately aware of the true extent of Merlin's powers. From a visual storytelling point of view, I think it would work better if Arthur actually sees something, but character integrity should still be maintained. Arthur would then keep this information to himself while he decides what to do next; something as important as the reveal should not be rushed. There is scope then for the blend of humour and drama that works so well. He's bound to become a bit distant from Merlin to begin with, but then closer as he grows to accept things and appreciate Merlin more for who he really is. Some subtle investigation on Arthur's part as he tries to uncover what he's been missing as well as a slight role reversal due to the fact that Arthur knows something and Merlin is blissfully oblivious to it could add some lightheartedness to what is otherwise a serious moment in their relationship.

boom-moo

[37]Oct 2, 2010
    WitchyWeasel88 wrote:
    He's bound to become a bit distant from Merlin to begin with, but then closer as he grows to accept things and appreciate Merlin more for who he really is.
    That's what I really hope for whether he sees him doing magic or he figures it out for himself. Actually, I think both are kind of one. He needs a glimpse of something to be able to figure it out.

WitchyWeasel88

[38]Oct 2, 2010
    • level: 14

boom-moo wrote:
    WitchyWeasel88 wrote:
    He's bound to become a bit distant from Merlin to begin with, but then closer as he grows to accept things and appreciate Merlin more for who he really is.
    That's what I really hope for whether he sees him doing magic or he figures it out for himself. Actually, I think both are kind of one. He needs a glimpse of something to be able to figure it out.

Yes, I do think he needs to see something, especially as the longer they prolong it the more (hopefully) Arthur will trust Merlin. While this might mean he respects Merlin's advice more, I think it would blind him further to the possibility of Merlin having magic unless something happens beforehand to radically change his views on magic. Personally I'd rather this didn't happen, certainly he can have doubts (he's flip-flopped constantly on this issue), but I would like the clinching factor to be his friendship for Merlin ultimately overcoming his taught distrust for magic. There needs to be that initial spark though, to open his mind to the possibility of Merlin having magic, so I completely agree, these two options really go together.

boom-moo

[39]Oct 2, 2010
    It's kind of a double edge knife. The longer the reveal is prolongued, the closer Arthur and Merlin will get as friends. And the closer they are, the more blind Arthur would get towards the possibility of Merlin having magic so the the more betrayed he could feel when the reveal happens. But on the other hand, the closer they are the easier it might be for Arthur to trust Merlin when the reveal happens and once he'd overcome his initial betrayal feeling. It's a complex and really exciting scenario.

pcdsa

[40]Oct 2, 2010

WitchyWeasel88 wrote:
    I would like the clinching factor to be his friendship for Merlin ultimately overcoming his taught distrust for magic.
    Absolutely!!! Ultimately I want it to be just about them two with no else involved. I do like all your ideas for the reveal .