Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

Merlin in the USA

zenmanjr

[1]Oct 21, 2009
    • level: 3
    just wondering ?
    Edited on 09/10/2010 3:03pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Geordiegirl1967

[2]Oct 22, 2009
    • level: 5
    I heard the viewing figures for series 1 weren't great and it is unlikely NBC will be showing S2. On the plus side - Merlin was the first British show to be aired on primetime US TV for decades. Mostly they are on BBC America or PBS. So that was a coup. Apparently NBC didn't market it very well. I have seen a lot of US fans on the forums though, so some people over the pond must like it.

zenmanjr

[3]Oct 23, 2009
    I watched season 1 on nbc and fell in love with the show but you're right they didn't very well at all so I am not taking any chances I have been watching season 2 online i was just wondering how many people
    in America are doing the same

boom-moo

[4]Oct 24, 2009
    • level: 75

I am not in the US but I have a lot of friends across the pond who loved series 1 and who keep up online with series 2. All indications are the show won't air its second season over there, unless it's BBC America or something Source here

zenmanjr

[5]Oct 24, 2009
    well I am glad the episodes are available online I just hope I can find the dvd for season 2

boom-moo

[6]Oct 24, 2009
    I guess you won't have any problem to find it online. Amazon is usually a safe bet.

haldrey

[7]Oct 29, 2009
    • level: 22
    I did not know that a season two was airing somewhere, here I come Internet.

Laserwolf412

[8]Nov 2, 2009
    I also didn't know I could be watching some new Merlin right now. Glad I thought to check the forums.

HappyGirl818

[9]Nov 4, 2009
    • level: 10
    Hello! I'm in the U.S and fell in love with Merlin over the summer. I've been watching all of season 2 online so far, and it's been great!

Geordiegirl1967

[10]Nov 4, 2009
    That is really good to hear. It is hard from over in the UK to get a sense of how popular (or maybe not?) the show is in the US. We heard the ratings weren't great, so maybe S2 won't be shown. On the other hand there are a lot of US fans on all the forums, and it was the first British show to air on US network TV for over 30 years - so that has got to be good. Can anyone shed any light?

boom-moo

[11]Nov 4, 2009
    Geordiegirl1967 wrote:
    it was the first British show to air on US network TV for over 30 years - so that has got to be good. Can anyone shed any light?
    I thought that'd grant the continuation of the show but even though the numbers were good, they maybe weren't good enough compared to other USA productions. The competence is fierce there. Sadly, last news is that the show won't be renewed (here) although I keep getting pms of people in the US who didn't know that a second series is airing and who want to catch up with the show online. People seem to really like it so it's a bit confusing.

Geordiegirl1967

[12]Nov 4, 2009
    Thanks for the link Boom-moo.

I didn't think the ratings were so bad as to call it 'a bomb' were they? And who is this Rob person? Is he in the know? Just sounds like a journalist to me, and while they like everyone to think they are on the inside, they aren't always that well informed. If there has been no official word from NBC then they, presumably, haven't finally decided - otherwise why wouldn't they just say? They are willing enough to cancel other shows without feeling the need to sugar coat things. The optimist in me thinks they might be waiting to see what S2 looks like.

boom-moo

[13]Nov 4, 2009
    I dunno who the guy is or how reliable he is. I lost the link but I had read too that series two would air on NBC in June 2010. I guess that since nothing is certain, that could count on the show's favour, especially if the numbers in the UK keep being great. And apparently, the best of the show is yet to come this season.

HappyGirl818

[14]Nov 7, 2009
    • level: 10

The ratings for Merlin in the US weren't the best, but that's completely and totally because of NBC's lack of promotion. They advertised for the first episode really well that's how I found out about the show, but then after that first episode I hardly ever saw a promo (and I watch a soap opera on NBC that's on everyday so I see their commercials) you'd never be able to tell that the show was on their network.

That being said I think Merlin did fairly okay given it was the summertime when people don't watch as much TV, and NBC's lack of advertising.

Geordiegirl1967

[15]Nov 7, 2009
    I hope you are right HappyGirl. I have heard contradictory things - from that it is definitely not going to be shown, to the complete opposite.

I suspect NBC will wait to see the whole of S2 then will decide. They certainly own the rights to show it. Let's just hope that they do, and that they promote it properly. I really believe this is the kind of show that will do well in the US if it is given a chance.

zenmanjr

[16]Nov 13, 2009
    I haven't been on here in a while I'm glad to see this topic has gotten a lot of buzz

MCGlenn1981

[17]Nov 14, 2009
    • level: 6

This show is so great, they should show the first season again at 4 o'clock on a saturday to get a following during the winter. Kinda like Baywatch & Gladiators back in the early to mid 90's oh and Knightrider! My brothers kids love it and I can't get enough especially this 2nd season the 8th episode was amazing as was "The Nightmare Begins".

If Robin Hood can scrape a 3rd season and this can't get at least 4, well then, that's just a crime and our lives become a little less entertained.

I think this show has yet to hit it's top form and the way it's headed so far is very interesting and the actors are starting to draw me in like great stage actors do, a bit off tunnel vision you might say.

Morgana is fantastic I think they need to do more screen time with her, but the actress can do no wrong! She is simply superb, her eyes are so captivating it's like she's actually living it. I don't know anything about the mythology of her character, so if anyone would care to enlighten me, do so. However I really think the actress could do a great villain if the story went that way but I think there is chemistry to be explored between Morgana and Merlin first that might set-up some life/destiny choices over a couple more seasons.

I've been feeling I'd like to see Uther gone but without him being there to be the complete spanner, where will the plot device come from? I would like to see this happen. Big thumbs up to the creators, cast & crew for a fantastically delightful series that really redefines a genre.

Edited on 11/14/2009 6:11pm
    Edited 2 total times.

Geordiegirl1967

[18]Nov 15, 2009
    So glad you like it McGlenn. It does grow on you. I enjoyed the first series when it aired. Then I got the S1 DVD, and liked it even more on a second viewing. Then the 2nd series has blown me away and I am properly obsessed with it now. It seems there is no room on US TV for something that rewards patience, but I really hope NBC watch the second series, see the big improvement in production values, ambition, writing and acting, and give it another, properly promoted, chance. The economics of the show would benefit enormously from a big US following. It would increase the chances of a 4th and 5th series massively.

boom-moo

[19]Nov 15, 2009
    Geordiegirl1967 wrote:
    The economics of the show would benefit enormously from a big US following. It would increase the chances of a 4th and 5th series massively.
    That is a very good point, that'll be great indeed!

waynemills

[20]Nov 15, 2009
    • level: 1
    Can someone tell me how to watch full episodes of Merlin season 2? Thanks! Wayne