Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

Merlin Season 3 countdown

What would you like to happen in Series 3?

boom-moo

[21]Nov 23, 2009
    • level: 75
    I've thought of some ideas to keep the thread running and alive while the show is on hiatus, make sure to keep coming over. Who knows? You might like them
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

electricpeppers

[22]Nov 24, 2009
    • level: 26
    I doubt Arthur will find out Merlin's secret for a good while. I think that'll be drawn out for a long while. No marriage for Gwen/Arthur for a long time please, ugh.

I want to see Morgana and Merlin team up more, and maybe shake up the dynamics a little. Why do we never have Morgana and Arthur scenes anymore? And what happened to Gwen's crush on Merlin? I'd love for Nimueh to come back... maybe with memory loss (cliche, I know) or something where she's portrayed more sympathetically -- in the myths she's Merlins true love, lol.

boom-moo

[23]Nov 24, 2009
    electricpeppers wrote:
    Why do we never have Morgana and Arthur scenes anymore?
    Yeah, I miss those too. They seem to hardly share any ever since their storyline together was dropped. I think they have a lot of potential as brother/sister banter, as magical/non magical or as allies/enemies depending on the circustances.
    electricpeppers wrote:
    And what happened to Gwen's crush on Merlin?
    Guess she fancies Lancelot more...
    electricpeppers wrote:
    in the myths she's Merlins true love, lol.
    Lol true, but it sounds so weird now! I don't see Nimueh back unless the writers run out of ideas for evil characters.

electricpeppers

[24]Nov 25, 2009
    • level: 26

boom-moo wrote:
    electricpeppers wrote:
    Why do we never have Morgana and Arthur scenes anymore?
    Yeah, I miss those too. They seem to hardly share any ever since their storyline together was dropped. I think they have a lot of potential as brother/sister banter, as magical/non magical or as allies/enemies depending on the circustances.

Yeah. It's rather annoying because they've totally axed any scenes between them at all. I liked Morgana/Arthur in series one with the slight romantic slant -- but even sibling banter would be great... I accept they're not going for romane anymore, but alas it seems the writers won't even stretch to a platonic relationship.

boom-moo wrote:
    Lol true, but it sounds so weird now! I don't see Nimueh back unless the writers run out of ideas for evil characters.

Yeah, I don't believe she's dead though. I read an interview forever ago/heard the producers say she's not actually gone for good in terms of that universe... although that doesn't mean she'll come back.

boom-moo

[25]Nov 25, 2009
    Bradley's favourite scene in Valiant is the one where Morgana helps him into his armour (well, she kinda tightens a fastening or something but hey ) before battle. I absolutely love that one. I think it's rather interesting that the actor himself loved that scene in particular rather than some fighting one where he stands out more.

VConn

[26]Nov 28, 2009
    • level: 17
    merlinnohat wrote:

Season 2 has been made and there have been no leaks of any great changes. As a serial, there has to be a formulaic quality to each episode. However, I am more interested in the longer term narrative arc.

Arthur starts to 'accept Merlin as he really is' i.e. he starts to suspect that Merlin uses magic for good. This will introduce a secret between Arthur and his father which can never be revealed. Arthur comes to this realisation without Merlin's knowledge, very gradually.

Morgana and Merlin become great friends and share a telepathic ability used on many occasions for the greater good of camelot.

Merlin faces the limits of his powers as Gaius grows ill. He studies more and more to try to find a way to restore Gaius's health, without success. In the process, he becomes more powerful and sensitive but never achieves the ability to save Gaius from the inevitable. Gaius's declining health makes Merlin feel totally impotent. His death is a defining stage for Merlin. Without his mentor, and in intense grief, he is wild and on the verge of recklessly revealing his powers, but it is Arthur of all people who consoles him, confesses his knowledge of his sorcerry, and persuades him not to reveal it.

After Gaius's death, a new Court Physician is employed. He is not liked nor is he able. Merlin starts to use his magic to treat the ailments of Court to compensate. When it is revealed that the new physician sought the counsel of a suspected sorcerer he is dismissed and Merlin is 'temporarily' appointed in his place. There is a readjustment with Arthur. Arthur was behind and is pleased with Merlin's promotion but is very sad to lose him as his man-servant.

Gaius continues to appear in friendly ghost form to Merlin, as if still alive.

In the absence of regular servant duties, Arthur visits Merlin for advice and company. Inevitably as future king, he accepts that Merlin's (still secret) powers need to be under his influence, if not control. The relationship becomes more complex and balanced.

Merlin's sense of humour grows with his power. E.g. as Arthur is increasingly required to head formal matters of Camelot which he considers boring, so Merlin diffuses them with subtle practical jokes which only Arthur recognises.

Arthur marries Gwen. Gwen asks Merlin to give her away. Merlin is very emotional, apparently 'losing' his two best friends. Rather, his two wings form a circle with him at the centre. Hence the heart of the Golden Era is formed. This new staus quo will need working over a few times.

The conflict between Arthur and his father remains but changes character as Arthur gains in wisdom and recognises that his father's mental abilities are perhaps diminishing.

Uther calls upon Merlin's services as physician but never accepts him as he did Gaius or understands his humour. Merlin uses magic unnecessarily that Uther never quite notices in order to liven up his times with him.

The great dragon diminishes in importance and, sensing this, asks Merlin to honour his promise to release it. Merlin honours his promise but cannot possibly tell Arthur. The dragon wreaks havoc on Camelot. Merlin tries to reason in secret with the dragon. The dragon will stop as soon as magic is allowed once again. Uther orders Arthur to find and kill the one responsible for the dragon's release and to kill the dragon, even though it is the very last in existence. Arthur and Merlin have many new issues to work through.

That is enough for now.

Damn can't believe I just read that...Oops completely spoils the last few episodes though I'm doubting Arthur will marry Gwen now he seems kind of young for that plus he isn't King yet so shouldn't he wait but if he does then so be it sounds like the last few eps will be quite good and very glad to hear there will be a 3rd series.

And if Gaius dies it will just suck there's still so much more he needs to teach Merlin

Edited on 11/28/2009 8:47pm

Geordiegirl1967

[27]Nov 29, 2009
    • level: 5
    That was just merlinohat's guesswork about what might happen. So don't worry, it is not a spoiler and has no bearing on the last few eps. It is good to speculate though.

boom-moo

[28]Nov 29, 2009
    VConn, the only place where you will find spoilers in the guide is in the Spoilers thread, which is pinned for easy access and that you can find here

sarahroxdaworld

[29]Dec 14, 2009
    • level: 1
    In season 3 I think Uther should find out about Arthur and Gwen, I dont think he should over react like everyone expects him to, i think it would be better if he didnt like it but got over it.

boom-moo

[30]Dec 14, 2009
    It doesn't sound like Uther not to over react, he really doesn't care about servants at all, he didn't hesitate to have her killed in 1x03 when he thought she had used magic to kill her father, and he noticed he was wrong he didn't apologize at all. And then he didn't bother sending a rescue party for just a servant in 2x03, so I guess he is not going to take the news any well. I dunno when/how he'll find out about it, but it's gonna be interesting indeed

sarahroxdaworld

[31]Dec 14, 2009
    • level: 1
    definetly interesting, it would be so awkward between them its not funny.

merlinrules09

[32]Dec 19, 2009
    • level: 11
    Filming for Series 3 should be starting in a few months... Hopefully we'll find out more information on Series 3 soon.

boom-moo

[33]Dec 19, 2009
    merlinrules09 wrote:
    Filming for Series 3 should be starting in a few months... Hopefully we'll find out more information on Series 3 soon.
    Which shall be posted in the Spoilers thread

illegalferret

[34]Dec 30, 2009
    • level: 25

Ok now i've seen the whole of series 2, i've decided what i want to see in series 3! Right firstly Arthur MUST find out about Merlin very early on in the series, but he doesn't need to tell Merlin he knows! By doing this they can give Arthur time to come to terms with Merlin's magic and provide us with some funny moments! Secondly, I'd like them not to have so much as a recurring villian but instead something going on in the background of several episodes (a bit tlike they have in Doctor Who) that comes to a head in episodes 12 & 13. This could help to link all the episode together and give us more progression. Thirdly (is that word?!) a war would be good! Camelot is at war with the kingdom the Dragonlord was hiding in, so why not give us a few battles! I know they'd have to be pretty team because of the timeslot but still it would be quite good to see!

Other things that would be good: a continuation of the Arthur/Guinever love story, keeping it subtle mostly i think would be a good way forward abit tlike in epi 13. The Return of Freya with Excalibur I think that would be a god thing. Morgana must come back, maybe she and Morguase could be the bad guys! So can't wait to see series 3, shame its like 9 months away!

Edited on 12/30/2009 4:05am

boom-moo

[35]Dec 30, 2009

A war with King Odin would be cool indeed!

I miss a recurring villain too, someone like Nimueh. Season two has been a series of characters arriving to Camelot with evil ideas in mind. Someone recurrent makes the thread more realistic and dangerous. That could be tandem Morgana/Morgause. I definitely want them back. I'd like to have Morgana back at Camelot, being a latent threat in disguise and having an ally outside in Morgause.

I also want to know how come they are half sisters, why did Gaius snuggle Morgause out of Camelot and why he let Uther believe that the baby had died. And who is that powerful sorceress he confided her to, but I'm almost certain that must have been Nimueh. In 2x08 it was said that he handed the baby to the high priestess of the Old Religion but also in episode 1x09 Excalibur, it is revealed that only Uther, Gaius and Nimueh know the behind Arthur's birth. So if Morgause also knows (I bet she put the words in Ygraine's ghost mouth) then that high priestess has to be Nimueh. And if Nimueh has trained Morgause, she is gonna make a tough rival since Merlin's magic wasn't enough to beat hers in 2x12.

I would also like to see Alvarr back and developing his relationship with Morgana.

Edited on 12/30/2009 6:16am

dpebbleson

[36]Dec 30, 2009
    • level: 23

I am responding here to the thread about killing Uther, as suggested by boom moo.

I hope they don't kill Uther yet! He is priceless, his face when all the faults he did in the past slap him back in the face, and he still manages to win. And hearing another "Magic is evil, while I am king, there will not be magic in this kingdom" is also priceless to hear.

Also, I'd like to have Morgana back, as an intruder as said above. She too is priceless, if anything for her fights with Uther. Their scenes are some of the craziest in the show.

I think most of us agree that Arthur should find about Merlin's magic right at the start of the season. And sure, it will produce many funny scenes. Merlin's pretending would in a way get another dimension: not only would the audience know about it, but also Arthur. I wonder how he would react? Probably his first thought would be a complete disappointment and resolution to report him to Uther. Then by the end of the episode Merlin would again become helpful, and Arthur would reconsider it. Imagine how ridiculous would all those Merlin's explanations sound to him once he knew.

The other thing connected to this concerns this theme of friendship. Of course, Merlin is more loyal, but at the end of the day, Arthur is more sincere. Merlin keeps to himself almost everything, including completely harmless things, while Arthur confides much more. If the writers take that into consideration, who knows what kind of rift that would be able to create.

boom-moo

[37]Dec 30, 2009

Uther can take slaps in the face without losing the composure or changing his 'magic is evil' motto indeed. That's why I wouldn't like having him killed before he realizes that magic is not evil in itself, that one doesn't choose to have it, that it can be used for the right purpose and that it is being used in front of his very nose for a while now. Arthur would have been dead numerous times not being for it, let alone never having been born. I want him to tell Arthur that he should be a better and fairer king than himself before passing.

I wouldn't like Arthur to tell Merlin he knows he's got magic rightaway. I want him to find out by himself and keep it hidden for a while. I want to see how the realization kicks Arthur, how he sees questioned all the moral pillars he's been brought by, how he realizes that his warrior skills aren't at all enough to keep peace and prosperity and most importantly, how magic can help him be the great King Camelot needs. รง

Their friendship would be indeed shaken. I guess it's only natural that Arthur feels he can't trust Merlin, but on second thought he'll realize that is not true. Merlin has tried to confess it on a couple of occasions, but then he's kept it hidden for the greater good. And the greater good being Arthur's wellbeing.

Merlin is as loyal and honest as he can be, but the circumstances make him act in a certain way. He considers Arthur a friend, but he can't open up as much as he'd want to. It is the same with Arthur, who is conditioned by his upbringing: he feels Merlin as a friend but he can never ackowledge in public or state it in private. Both are loyal, trustworthy, honest and sincere with each other, they are truly freinds, but both are seriously restrained by their particular circumstances. It is a nice struggle, and Arthur finding out about Merlin will make it even more interestin.

Edited on 12/30/2009 7:16am

dpebbleson

[38]Dec 30, 2009

Now that you say it, it occurs to me how much Merlin is written like a fairy-tale. You have a cruel king, whose cruelty stems from loss of a beloved (in a way like Leontes from The Winter's Tale), and who will probably be redeemed at the end of things; there is a young arrogant prince, who is actually good-hearted, but who needs to learn humility if he is to achieve greatness; there is Cinderella-like serving maid who is neglected, but flourishes in the end; a beautiful yet flawed with malice princess who turns to evil.

And now that I have written this, I have a slight deja vu feeling that I have already written it somewhere in this forum. If it so, then sorry for the forgetfulness.

boom-moo

[39]Dec 30, 2009
    It is indeed a fairy tale, and when it is told through such a wonderful cast, one can't but sit down and enjoy

i forgot to mention that I'm afraid Mordred will be back too. I just wonder who will use him next (Morgause maybe?), he doesn't sound like a threat yet on his own.

dpebbleson

[40]Dec 30, 2009

boom-moo wrote:
    It is indeed a fairy tale, and when it is told through such a wonderful cast, one can't but sit down and enjoy i forgot to mention that I'm afraid Mordred will be back too. I just wonder who will use him next (Morgause maybe?), he doesn't sound like a threat yet on his own.

Yeah, the cast is magnificent. Most of them are schooled actors, but nonetheless, they are all very good actors. They are very natural, and into their roles, doing their job with complete responsibility and easiness at the same time. I haven't seen many shows where the entire cast has done such a good work.

Mordred is creepy. I used to have a neutral opinion about him, until he killed those two guards in Witch's Quickening. That was genuinely creepy, and I hated him at the moment, he seemed like those evil children from horror movies.