Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

Merlin Season 3 countdown

What would you like to happen in Series 3?

  • Avatar of pcdsa

    pcdsa

    [61]Feb 25, 2010
    • member since: 01/03/10
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 1,558

    Just another speculation in this long hiatus. In 2.08 Secrets and Magic, Anthony Head said that there was more to the back story between Arthur, Uther, Ygraine, Morgana and Morgause. In Legends, Morgana and Morgause are full sisters whose parents are Gorlois & Ygraine. Arthur is their half-brother - parents Uther & Ygraine. In Merlin, Morgana and Morgause are half-sisters. Do they share the same mother or father? Morgause gave Morgana a bracelet which she said was from her mother. Gaius recognised the bracelet as from the house of Gorlois.

    I hope that Morgause is Arthur's half sister. If so, maybe Uther had an affair (in his despair of Ygraine's inability to conceive) with Gorlois's wife, mother of Morgana. The affair resulted in Morgause. In his guilt, he wanted the baby dead. Morgause knows this and that's why she hates him and wants him dead. Plot holes: Uther did not seem worried / guilty about Morgause - only that Morgana would not find out about her connection and Arthur his birth. Uther said he thought the baby was dead, it doesn't mean that he wanted the baby dead. But then why did Gaius have to secretly give the baby away?

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of boom-moo

    boom-moo

    [62]Feb 25, 2010
    • member since: 02/05/07
    • level: 75
    • rank: Rowdy Roddy Piper
    • posts: 135,676
    pcdsa wrote:
    In Merlin, Morgana and Morgause are half-sisters. Do they share the same mother or father? Morgause gave Morgana a bracelet which she said was from her mother. Gaius recognised the bracelet as from the house of Gorlois.
    We had this discussion back then and I think that they share a mother. Just speaking out of assumption, magic seems to be inherited or to run in families generations down, so I guess it's more plausible for Gorlois' wife to be magical than for Gorlois himself. Gorlois died when Morgana was 10, and we know that Morgana and Arthur grew up together (they should be more or less the same age) so Uther wouldn't have kept the friendship and battled together with Gorlois if he was magical, since the Great Purge had already occurred. Although I find it weird that Morgana didn't recognize the emblem of the house of Gorlois in the bracelet. Being 10 years old when her father died, she would have surely known very well her father's house emblem. On the other hand, Uther would have been at odds with Gorlois' wife is she was magical. Before Arthur was born, she wouldn't have had any reason to hide it (we know that Uther welcomed magical people in Camelot) so maybe he would have her expelled from Camelot too, but then Gorlois wouldn't have remained his best friend. So I guess Gorlois' wife died before the Great Purge.

    I don't see why Gaius would have smuggled the Morgause out of Camelot either. Uther was lead to believe that the kid was dead, but it is not stated that he wanted her dead. Maybe, and going with your theory that Morgause is Uther's daughter, Gaius feared that being a girl he wouldn't legitimate her and maybe, although I don't see Gaius being this mean, he would have wanted her dead? That's maybe why Gorlois' wife consented to give the baby away, to save her life.

    And would Gaius have tried to conceive an heir with someone with magic? What if their child would have been a boy and magical? He wasn't against magical people back then but I'm not sure he would have liked the idea of a magical heir.

    And what about Gorlois? He should have been told too that the girl had died because I guess that to him it was his daughter. I have a feeling though that Gaius knew that Morgause was magical from birth. Why would he entrust her to the high priestess of the OR instead of placing her in the home of some nice and caring family willing to adopt a child? Her powers, and her ability to develop them and hence seek revenge one day, would have been lessened. Gaius said the hight priestess trained Morgause into magic from birth, so without her help maybe Morgause wouldn't be that a powerful sorceress.

    The reason why Morgana was allowed to stay in Camelot and Morgause didn't must be their different parent. If it's Uther, that's certainly a biggie because he would have not only betrayed Ygraine but Gorlois. And well, Gorlois' wife doesn't sound that upright either. There are indeed too many questions unanswered there, and I hope TPTB wrap it all nicely and surprisingly.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of pcdsa

    pcdsa

    [63]Feb 26, 2010
    • member since: 01/03/10
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 1,558

    I remember, not sure of source, that Morgana is a couple years older than Arthur.


    Like your reasoning that Morgana and Morgause probably share the same mother - and yes she could be magical and died before the Great Purge. But then wouldn't Uther suspect that Morgana is magical? I don't think Uther would have minded a magical heir (before the Great Purge) but because of Ygraine he would not acknowledge Morgause as his daughter. Gaius would have had no reason to worry about the dangers of magic, because Morgause was born before the Great Purge, so he probably looked to the high priestess as a valued friend. Yes, as you say too many interesting questions and I am desperate for the answers - roll on series 3. Seven more months...Cry


    I was also hoping as an alternative that Ygraine was Morgause's mother. She had an affair with Gorlois and became pregnant. Uther found out it was not his baby and wanted the baby dead. Gaius pretended to everyone that the baby died and gave the baby away secretly. As Gaius used to practice magic and it was not inherited but self-taught, Morgause could have been taught the magic from the high priestess, rather than it being inherited. Maybe there were complications during Morgause's birth and so Ygraine could not conceive again. Or maybe Uther is the problem why Ygraine could not conceive. But Ygraine did admit to Arthur she had the problem. Again plot holes: in 2.08 Uther was surprised that Morgause knew Ygraine but you didn't feel there was a blood connection between them. Also why would he remain good friends with Gorlois? But we only have his word that they are. Maybe that's why he didn't send reinforcements before Gorlois died (mentioned by Morgana in 1.12). But that's a long time to keep his hatred bottled up. And why agree to look after Morgana? I'm convincing myself that Ygraine cannot be the mother. Ooh, but it would be great drama if she or Uther was.

    Edited on 02/26/2010 11:20am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of boom-moo

    boom-moo

    [64]Feb 26, 2010
    • member since: 02/05/07
    • level: 75
    • rank: Rowdy Roddy Piper
    • posts: 135,676
    pcdsa wrote:
    I remember, not sure of source, that Morgana is a couple years older than Arthur.


    pcdsa wrote:
    Like your reasoning that Morgana and Morgause probably share the same mother - and yes she could be magical and died before the Great Purge. But then wouldn't Uther suspect that Morgana is magical?
    She hasn't shown any evident sign of it in front of Uther (he just thinks she has troubled nights) so I guess he doesn't even remotely suspect about it. And well, we are talking Uther who married a troll

    pcdsa wrote:
    I was also hoping as an alternative that Ygraine was Morgause's mother. She had an affair with Gorlois and became pregnant. (...) As Gaius used to practice magic and it was not inherited but self-taught, Morgause could have been taught the magic from the high priestess, rather than it being inherited.
    Then where did Morgana get her magic from? From her mum? I definitely think she (Gorlois' wife) was magical. Her bracelet was a magical one and she must have died before the Great Purge.

    pcdsa wrote:
    But Ygraine did admit to Arthur she had the problem.
    Well, we don't really know how much of what she said was the truth. She also said Uther knew Ygraine's life would be taken in exchange of Arthur's, but I don't think that is true. I find it way more plausible for Uther to be Morgause's father than for Ygraine to be her mother. I do see Uther in his desperation doing just whatever for an heir, even though I don't like to think of Morgana's mum being that erm... easy going. Or Ygraine for that matter.

    Will think more about it when I'm less tipsy
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of pcdsa

    pcdsa

    [65]Feb 28, 2010
    • member since: 01/03/10
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 1,558

    Yes I think it is more likely Uther is her father. As you wrote elsewhere, Morgause said Ygraine had honour (but how much do we believe of Morgause?), so it is unlikely she would cheat on Uther. Though I wonder if like legends Ygraine was previously married to Gorlois and Uther took her away from him? But again how did he keep his friendship with Gorlois?



    [QUOTE="boom-moo"]I definitely think she (Gorlois' wife) was magical. Her bracelet was a magical one and she must have died before the Great Purge. QUOTE]


    I'm not sure that the bracelet is magical. Morgause incanted a spell on it to make it magical. Maybe Gorlois' wife, Morgana's mother was magical - but she did not practice it or suppressed it, so no one knew.


    ----


    Post edit: However after watching 2.08 Morgause does say it is a healing bracelet - so I don't know.

    Edited on 02/28/2010 8:30am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of boom-moo

    boom-moo

    [66]Feb 28, 2010
    • member since: 02/05/07
    • level: 75
    • rank: Rowdy Roddy Piper
    • posts: 135,676

    I don't know what Ygraine's story is in the legends, but I don't think she cheated on Uther.

    And yeah, Morgana does say that it is a healing bracelet. It seems to help with several issues since she incants it for Morgana. (Morgause mentions she used to have troubled nights too but we don't know if she used it to ease them or not). I assume Morgana's and Morgause's mum was magical since magic seems to be inherited and I don't think Gorlois was magical because Uther wouldn't have kept him as one of his closest and most trusted friends.

    The problem indeed is not knowing much much we can trust Morgause's word, especially vs Uther's which makes me wish it unfolds a bit more in season 3.

    Edited on 02/28/2010 12:45pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of merlinrules09

    merlinrules09

    [67]Apr 6, 2010
    • member since: 12/29/08
    • level: 11
    • rank: Red Shirted Lt.
    • posts: 690

    Just over 5 months left

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of merlinrules09

    merlinrules09

    [68]May 1, 2010
    • member since: 12/29/08
    • level: 11
    • rank: Red Shirted Lt.
    • posts: 690

    4 months til Series 3 !!!!!!!!!!!!! Not that long now

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Ghostlover6190

    Ghostlover6190

    [69]May 3, 2010
    • member since: 04/12/08
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 1,238

    Four months is to long for me! We are just getting season 2 over here on Scifi even though I already watched the whole thing online. I'm watching it over againon Scifi because my dad has not seen season 2 yet. I really want season 3 now. I am very impatient & to wait the rest of the school year & the whole summer?Yeah I thats going to be hard.I don't even know if I'm going to be able to watch season 3. I used the internet to watch season 2but what if I won't be able to use it for season 3 episodes? Will I have to wait a whole year? By the way I'm in the US.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of boom-moo

    boom-moo

    [70]May 4, 2010
    • member since: 02/05/07
    • level: 75
    • rank: Rowdy Roddy Piper
    • posts: 135,676
    Ghostlover6190 wrote:
    I used the internet to watch season 2but what if I won't be able to use it for season 3 episodes? Will I have to wait a whole year? By the way I'm in the US.
    I guess you won't have any problem watching series 3 online as well but if you can't for whatever reason, just post here or let me know. I might be able to point you to the right direction
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Ghostlover6190

    Ghostlover6190

    [71]May 4, 2010
    • member since: 04/12/08
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 1,238

    Thank you! I usually use fastpasstv.com. I tried the link I was given a while back to season 2 episodes but I liked fastpasstv better even though there are a lot of advertisements. I liked the way it was organized & gave different links so if 1 did not work another might. Even though season 3 is a little over 4 months away I think I'm going to start counting down the days now that I'm sure I'll be able to see series 3.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of boom-moo

    boom-moo

    [72]May 4, 2010
    • member since: 02/05/07
    • level: 75
    • rank: Rowdy Roddy Piper
    • posts: 135,676
    Never heard of fastpasstv.com. but I'm glad you like it enough to be your default resource. I'll take it in mind in case someone else asks
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Ghostlover6190

    Ghostlover6190

    [73]May 4, 2010
    • member since: 04/12/08
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 1,238

    Fastpasstv.com is very helpful not only for Merlin but other shows too. My dad forgot to set House to record last night so I used fastpasstv to watch it. I do have to thank Merlin because without this show I would have never discovered that site. I found it in the fall when I spent hours searching for season 2 episodes of Merlin then I found fastpasstv. It was probably less than hours but it felt that long.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of boom-moo

    boom-moo

    [74]May 4, 2010
    • member since: 02/05/07
    • level: 75
    • rank: Rowdy Roddy Piper
    • posts: 135,676
    Ghostlover6190 wrote:
    It was probably less than hours but it felt that long.
    Lol. I know of several sites that host show episodes to watch for free and they upload them as fast as the day after they originally air. They don't have commercials though. A life saver for us outside the USA, or in this case, outside the UK. I'll pm you in a while
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Ghostlover6190

    Ghostlover6190

    [75]May 4, 2010
    • member since: 04/12/08
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 1,238

    I got the pm. Yeah you also gave me a different site with Merlin episodes back in the fall. I never deleted that message in case I needed to use that site again.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of boom-moo

    boom-moo

    [76]May 5, 2010
    • member since: 02/05/07
    • level: 75
    • rank: Rowdy Roddy Piper
    • posts: 135,676
    Oh, I didn't remember about that. Good then
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Ghostlover6190

    Ghostlover6190

    [77]May 5, 2010
    • member since: 04/12/08
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 1,238

    Yeah I stopped coming for a while because I was busy with stuff. I had a feeling nobody would remember me. I'm still counting down the days until season 3 of Merlin. No way will I survive that long!

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of dpebbleson

    dpebbleson

    [78]May 5, 2010
    • member since: 11/06/09
    • level: 23
    • rank: Close Talker
    • posts: 5,644
    Well, those nine and a half months that were remaining back in December are vanished! That was brutal!

    Now these four and a half months are like a blessing compared to that! Still, a somewhat bitter and dull blessing...
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of boom-moo

    boom-moo

    [79]May 5, 2010
    • member since: 02/05/07
    • level: 75
    • rank: Rowdy Roddy Piper
    • posts: 135,676
    I'm sorry I didn't remember you, Jude. Absolutely nothing personal, of course. But you are a regular around I hope we become friends

    ___________________

    I want a good balance between drama and comedy again. I'd be too long and selfish to state specific storylines. Gah, I simply want more Merlin asap!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of dpebbleson

    dpebbleson

    [80]May 5, 2010
    • member since: 11/06/09
    • level: 23
    • rank: Close Talker
    • posts: 5,644
    I'd like it to become darker! Of course, a few patches of comedy and romance are welcomed, but I'd like it to become tense and intense, with a lot of hard choices, but not to develop into something soapish, with trite struggles all along...

    And I want Morgana to play a significantly more significant role (quintessential ) than in Season 2!!!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.