Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

Merlin series 1-4 themed rewatch - Cycle 1 'Merlin'

boom-moo

[21]Jan 13, 2012
    • level: 75
    dpebbleson wrote:
    I think, it's less because of appreciating his good traits, and more because they wouldn't like to stoop to his level, or as Guinevere said, it would be something like turning into Uther if you wanted to condemn him to death.
    I agree.

dpebbleson wrote:
    However, I noticed that Merlin is in the grey area there. In "To Kill the King", if it weren't for Guinevere, he would have let Uther die; he also let Morgana die in "The Fires of Idirsholas".
    Merlin was tempted to have Arthur king the fast and easy route indeed but I don't think he was 100% convinced of his decision in 1x12 or he wouldn't have asked Gwen for advice, that's just not him. Same as he decided to help Mordred escape at the end of 1x10 or sent Morgana to seek the Druids in 2x03 despite the dragon's advice on both occasions. And we know the circumstances under which he was forced to poison Morgana. I like to think he takes after Hunith a lot.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

dpebbleson

[22]Jan 13, 2012
    • level: 24
    I agree he wasn't 100% convinced, and was wavering, and fortunately he had Guinevere to tell him it's wrong (not meant to evoke the "moral compass" issue). Yeah, the circumstances forced him to kill Morgana, I agree. He had to choose between two evils, and he made his choice, which produced a lot of tragedy, but then again, I think that's a high point in writing.

JJuna

[23]Jan 13, 2012
    • level: 11

I enjoyed it. It was refreshing to rewatch an episode in which all four of our protagonists behaved admirably. The episode was a testament to the values of teamwork, friendship and selflessness. I liked the way the relationship between Merlin and Arthur was portrayed. They were friendly and respectful towards each other, with no hint of the bitterness that we have seen so often. This was a rare episode in which Guinevere was allowed to wield a sword, and I enjoyed seeing her, Morgana and the other women fully involved in the action. It was also nice to see Gwen speak out and demonstrate that she will be a Queen who fights for justice. We were also clearly shown the great King that Arthur will become: he proved himself to be an outstanding warrior and inspiring leader with the common touch. We saw Merlin an advisor, confidante and friend to Arthur, and a dutiful and loving son. His scenes with Hunith have great emotional depth and I wish that we saw more of her in the show. The way he faced the challenges and moral dilemmas again foreshadows the great sage that he will become. He may not be an exceptional fighter but he does look good in chainmail On rewatching an episode like this, when all four main characters are working in harmony against a common enemy, it makes Morgana's fall from grace seem even more tragic and poignant.

boom-moo

[24]Jan 15, 2012
    1x13 Le Morte D'Arthur

It strikes me how defeated and resigned Gaius is about Arthur's death as oppossed to Merlin. Gaius has always been not only supportive but also encouraging of the role that Merlin has to play but then on second thought, when it comes to fulfilling his destiny or losing Merlin, he naturally sides with saving Merlin's life. Even though he knows about the Isle of the Blessed and that a bargain can be struck to save Arthur's life he keeps it from Merlin because he knows that Merlin woulnd't hesitate to exchange his life for Arthur, as he indeed does. This episode of full of tough decisions both for Gaius and Merlin.

I love Colin's acting in the scene where Gaius comes in saying that the prince lives. Merlin rejoyces only to turn gloomy as he realizes that it means his life should be taken in exchange. It's touching how he holds on to the rabbit's foot on a desperate act of hope. I have to wonder why Merlin doesn't decide to say goodbye to Arthur that night, since he is supposed to be facing certain death.

I feel for Merlin when he realizes that the dragon has an agenda and is working towards gettting released. I love Merlin's anger: "You will never be released, for what you've done I'll make sure you never see the light" and how the dragon loses it, exhaling fire at Merlin and all. For the first time the dragon's true colours can be seen: he isn't just helping Merlin fulfill his destiny out of the goodness of his heart and seeking a better future for all magical creatures, he is seeking to be released. I wonder if his attack on Camelot on 2x13 is a product of the mixed emotions of the moment or if he was planning it all along.

I absolutely love the parental scenes:
    -Uther carrying Arthur in his arms.
    -Uther not leaving Arthur's bedside and soothing him back to sleep.
    -Merlin's thank you speech to Gaius.
    -Gaius goodbye letter to Merlin.
    -Merlin's goodbye to Hunith.

Quotes:
    -1x13 Merlin: (About Arthur) "He can't die, it is my destiny to protect him! We haven't done all the things we are meant to do!"
    -1x13 Merlin: (About Arthur) "He is my friend."
    -1x13 Merlin: (About saving Arthur's life) "Whatever the price is I will pay it gladly."
    -1x13 Merlin: "This is my mother, my powers mean nothing if I can not save her."
    -1x13 Merlin: (To Arthur) "I'm happy to be your servant till the day I die".
    -1x13 Merlin: (To Arthur) "You must learnt to listen as well as you fight".
    -1x13 Merlin: (To Arthur) "Just... don't be a prat".
    -1x13 Gaius: (To Merlin) "To sacrifice myself for you is but an honour".
    -1x13 Merlin: (To Nimueh) "I will make Arthur King but you won't see that day".
    -1x13 Nimueh: (To Merlin) "Pity. Together we could have ruled the world".

Goof: I have to love how Merlin's horse stares at the camera once and again in the scene where he is leaving for the Isle fo the Blessed and Gaius gives him the rabbit's foot (which is actually a tail) but I'm going with a question that puzzles me: how does Merlin reach the Island of the Blessed the second time if Gaius has already used the boat?

2x09 The Lady of the Lake

I like this episode but I don't think that Colin and Laura have a lot of chemistry together. Luckily, Colin's acting skills make up for that. For the first time, Merlin is willing to forget about his destiny, Arthur, Gaius and all those he cares about to leave Camelot and start up a life elsewhere. I have to wonder if he does it out of love or because he wishes to be able to live a life where he doesn't have to hide, to pretend, to lie and he can be just himself. I think it is way more of the latter than the former, all episode long he is thrilled to be able to be himself around someone who fully understands as opposed to Gaius, who knows his secret but can't fully relate. I think he would have left with Freya shouldn't she have died, but unless he could find a way to lift the curse on the girl, I don't see how they could have lived a happy life.

Quotes:
    -2x09 Merlin: (To Freya) "I saw you and... it could have been me in that cage."
    -2x09 Merlin: (About Gaius knowing he has magic) "He knows... but I'm not sure he understands."
    -2x09 Merlin: (To Freya) "Magic doesn't have to be a curse. It can be a gift."
    -2x09 Merlin: (To Freya) "I'm not most people."
    -2x09 Merlin: (To Freya) "I like you. With you, I can just be who I am. We don't have to hide anything. We don't have to worry."
    -2x09 Merlin: (To Freya) "Being different is nothing to be scared of."
    -2x09 Merlin: (To Gaius) "You could never understand. Do you know how it feels to be a monster? To be afraid of who you are?"
    -2x09 Freya: (To Merlin) "You've already saved me. You made me feel loved."

Goof: I'll go with the one where the sand stain on Merlin's knee appears and disappears when he first brings food to Freya. The scene is really cute so the stain bit annoys me as it makes me lose focus.

2x13 The Last Dragonlord

Quite a rollercoaster of emotions for Merlin on this one. He feels guilty for the dragon's deeds and unable to do anything about it.

He learns he has a father and a dragonlord one no less, he gets to find it only to be disappointed by him and when Balinor redeemes himself, then Merlin loses him while learning that now he is the last dragonlord alive. All within a day. He also gets Arthur's confession that he sees him as a friend and values having him around and Merlin gets to repay by insisting on fighting alongside him.

Not an easy journey for Balinor either. I understand his reluctance to help Uther in any way as he is responsible for his lonely and miserable life, but then he'd be condemning his son to the same sad life and even to death. Quite a shocker for him as well to find a son he never knew existed only to know that his life depends on him siding with the man who made him lose the chance to actually get to know his son before, who deprived him of the chance of forming a family. I really love Merlin's "we would have been happy" when Balinor asks him what kind of life they would have had living together even if having to hide from his prosecutors all the time. I really feel for Balinor, pondering if living together albeit in fear would have been better than leaving his family behind to a safe life.

It breaks my heart that Balinor dies saving his son's life. I wouldn't want to find myself on Merlin's shoes: he is especial, of key impotance for the future of the land and the hope of magical creatures for a better life and yet he isn't able to fight for his life or save that of those he loves the most. He is so powerful and so vulnerable at the same time. His journey to being the powerful wizard of legend is not proving to be easy at all.

Random comment but I love the wooden dragon that Balinor carves for Merlin, it's one of my fav props.

Quotes:

2x13 Arthur: "I will not stand by and watch my men die when I had the chance to save them."
    2x13 Arthur: (To Merlin) "There are loads of servants who can serve, but so few are capable of making a complete prat of themselves."
    2x13 Arthur: (To Merlin) "I wasn't a prince... I think we'd probably get on."
    2x13 Balinor: (To Merlin) "I understand how Kilgharrah feels. He's lost every one of his kind, every one of his kin. You want to know how that feels?"
    2x13 Gaius: (To Gwen) "Never underestimate the power of love. I've seen it change many things."
    2x13 Merlin: (To Balinor) "We'd have been... happy."
    2x13 Balinor: (To Merlin) "You are my son. I've seen enough in you to know you will make me proud."
    2x13 Merlin: (To Arthur) "I know it's hard for you to understand how I feel, but... well, I care a hell of a lot about that armour."
    2x13 Balinor: (To Merlin) "Deep within yourself you must find the voice that you and Kilgharrah share, for your soul and his are brothers."

Goof: I'll go with the classic: Arthur requesting the help of a dozen Knights and 13 of them stepping up and standing in circle around him. Add to that that then only 9 of them can be seen riding out of Camelot after Arthur, really messed up Maths there.

fantasyfreak77

[25]Jan 16, 2012
    • level: 14

So, finally got around to 1x13.

First, I have to say that I absolutely adore Uther in this episode. Every scene with him is heart-wrenching.

LOL, BM, that exact thought crossed my mind! Perhaps there was a second boat? Doubt it.

One thing that always got to me was when Gaius mentions that the Questing Beast symbolizes a time of great upheaval, and that the last time it was seen--Igraine died and thereby started the Purge... but I don't necessarily understand what 'upheaval' happens here....or why the Questing Beast is even sighted at this time at all. Any ideas?

Also, is the circle of stones around the altar at the Isle of the Blessed a very, very vague allusion/ reference to Stonehenge? I thought that it might be, but I may be overthinking it.

There were FAR too many good quotes in this episode. It seemed like every other line was a favorite of mine, and I love each of the major speeches that Merlin, Gaius, and Gwen give. Some that were not mentioned above:

"Morgana, go back to bed." -Arthur

"That is the lament of all men." -Gaius

"You're not going to die, Arthur. I'm telling you..." -Gwen

"But, most of all, you have always taught me...to do what is right." -Merlin

"In your long journey to become King, you'll need a guardian angel." -Uther (one of the BEST of the episode, imo)

"I sometimes wonder if you know who I am." -Arthur

"You're a prat...and a royal one." -Merlin

Edited on 01/16/2012 8:47pm

boom-moo

[26]Jan 17, 2012
    fantasyfreak77 wrote:

One thing that always got to me was when Gaius mentions that the Questing Beast symbolizes a time of great upheaval, and that the last time it was seen--Igraine died and thereby started the Purge... but I don't necessarily understand what 'upheaval' happens here....or why the Questing Beast is even sighted at this time at all. Any ideas?

As I see it the time of great upheaval is Arthur's death, but Merlin manages to reverse it.

3x11 The Sorcerer's Shadow

So, another one where Merlin is put between the devil and the big blue sea: siding with magic and magical people's right to be themselves or keeping in the dark for the sake of destiny? Gilli's father died because he chose not to use magic to defend himself when he was attacked and outnumbered. He could have blasted them off but using magic was dangerous. If there's anything Merlin can ever relate to, right? Gilli probably witnessed his father's death and that memory has made him grow up into a man with a goal alone: change that situation by fighting back and in his own terms. And so far, so good. However, Gilli's will to avenge his father's death puts at risk Merlin's destiny: if Uther is killed using magic, Arthur will never allow for magic to return to the kingdom. Is Gilli to die then or is Uther to face the ultimate punishment for his crimes? How to avoid bloodshed?

Merlin is torn. He can position himself with both sides of the argument and his moral dilemma makes him seek Kilgharrah's help, but he ends up even more conflicted: "To see one of your kin die is never an easy thing. But all great struggles demand sacrifice."

The dragon sees Gilli as collateral in a grander scheme of things, but Merlin can't: "Some choices are easy. Some... stay with you forever." He can relate to Gilli, he suffers his pain. I think that together with 2x09, this episode shows very clearly how lonely Merlin feels, how hard it is for him the day to day, how much he is sacrificing to fulfil his destiny. To me, the dancing flame scene remains one of my favs ever. Such a little gesture but so powerful: it writes his mind, heart and soul out for all of us to read.

The reaction is provokes in Gilli is really interesting: "You've been pretending for so long now that you've actually forgotten who you are." Once again, it is up to Merlin alone to keep the work of events work steady towards the future he is to fulfill but it isn't easy to find a way to reconcile the struggle in his mind and most importantly, in Gilli's heart. As it happens all throughout the show, both sides of the argument can be easily supported and in the end, it's Gilli's nature, his good heart and being true to himself ("I've never killed a man before. I just wanted to feel... what it was like to be... respected. But this... I'm not a killer. This isn't me.") which makes him see that he hadn't chosen he best course of action.

I love it that ultimately, it always comes to a moment of inner exploration and recognition, to the decision of an individual. All the other forces, be it swords or magic, aren't as powerful as exerting free will in the right manner at the appropriate time.

Quotes:

-3x11 Gilli: "Without magic, I'm a nobody."
    -3x11 Gilli: "I've never killed a man before. I just wanted to feel... what it was like to be... respected. But this... I'm not a killer. This isn't me."
    -3x11 Merlin: "It's... lonely... to... be more powerful than any man you know and have to live like a shadow. To... be special and have to pretend you're a fool."
    -3x11 Gilli: "I'm not going to apologise for who I am!"
    -3x11 Gilli: (To Merlin) "You've been pretending for so long now that you've actually forgotten who you are."
    -3x11 The Great Dragon: "To see one of your kin die is never an easy thing. But all great struggles demand sacrifice."
    -3x11 Merlin: "Some choices are easy. Some... stay with you forever."
    -3x11 Uther: "The most satisfying outcome of the tournament is that Arthur's actions have shown me that he is now truly ready to be king."

Goof: Merlin doesn't get wet when walking under rainfall, nor do the Rising Sun windows for that matter

Time to vote on the Best Quote and Worst Goof

-You can find the quotes and goofs proposed in list form at the end of post #1 of the current thread.
    -Voting time goes from Friday Jan 20th till Friday Jan 27th.
    -You can vote for two quotes/goofs: first choice gets 2 points and the second choice 1 point.
    -In the event of a tie, a second round will be open between in which just one vote worth 1 point will be issued.

Edited on 01/21/2012 1:26pm
    Edited 2 total times.

illegalferret

[27]Jan 25, 2012
    • level: 25

Oh i'm too late to add to the quote/goof list Never mind

Right just watched 1x10 and it's lovely to see such a nice Morgana i've got so used to her being evil! Right back on topic, i really believe this is closest Merlin comes to verbally revealing his magic deliberately, he seriously considers telling Arthur and only Morgana's interruption stops him.It's nice to see where Merlin comes from, it helps give him a more rounded character and after meeting his mum you can see why he turned out like he did The episode also shows what effect Merlin is having on those around him, Guinevere starts speaking out against Arthur and how Arthur develops a really love of helping others, the beginnings of his vision of Camelot. Like i said already i always thought this episode was like Bugs Life, but that's never stopped me enjoying it!

Ok voting: Goofs first 2 points for 1x13 How does Merlin reach the Island of the Blessed the second time if Gaius has used the boat? (because that is a really good point!) and 1 point for 1x10 Hunith looks older than in the S4 finale (Who knew anti aging cream was around in a time of Magic!)

Right quotes, much tougher choice. 2 points for3x11Merlin: "It's... lonely... to... be more powerful than any man you know and have to live like a shadow. To... be special and have to pretend you're a fool." (because it's one of the greatest speeches ever from this show) and 1 point for2x09Merlin:(To Freya)"Magic doesn't have to be a curse. It can be a gift."

1x13: A good series final. Yes there is a lot of trips to the island, but there's a cinematic feel to this final. It really showcases Merlin's growing magical power. He properly destroys Nimueh at the end. It shows he's got power beyond just lighting torches. Merlin's sense of right and wrong, what he "must do" is very prominent in 1x13, he is very willing to sacrifice his own life to save Arthur who he believes in. It also shows how much Gaius believes in Merlin and the future he will bring.

Edited on 01/25/2012 10:17am

boom-moo

[28]Jan 25, 2012
    illegalferret wrote:

Oh i'm too late to add to the quote/goof list Never mind

I have been waiting for ages for someone to post so I could add my comments on 4x04 (quotes and gifs included). I guess it's late to add those to the list, right?

Anyway, here it goes:

4x04 Aithusa

The one where Merlin makes another mistake. I like Merlin making mistakes, it makes him human and it's one of the best ways to learn. But leading a complete stranger (let alone someone Gaius knows and doesn't trust) to the vaults? Really, Merlin. Tsk, tsk.

Decisions, decisions. Gaius suspects Borden isn't up to anything good, he has always proven dishonest and untrustworthy. For some reason Gaius thinks that if the tomb of Ashkanar has remained untouched for 400 years, it should stay that way. He seems to believe that there's a course to events that shouldn't be messed with. However, Merlin believes he wants the egg lost and hence his actions make Arthur try and destroy the egg. Of course the Great Dragon pushes Merlin to go rescue the egg, and he is quite smart by appealing to Merlin's memories of his father.

So, Merlin gets to save it, but I wonder if that prompts the egg to hatch before it's time. After series 4 finale, the repercussions of Merlin's mistake/actions might be yet to be seen.

Quotes:

-4x11 Merlin: "Dragons are magical creatures. They belong to no man, they are for the benefit of all."
    -4x11 Merlin: (About the dragon's egg) "All the jewels... all the treasures, Gaius, they don't compare."
    -4x11 Merlin: (To Kilgharrah) "So you are no longer the last of your kind."
    -4x11 The Great Dragon: (To Merlin) "The white dragon bodes well for Albion, for you and Arthur... and for the land that you will build together."

Goof: Sir Percival's miraculous healing after having taken a bolt to his leg.

Best Quote wrote:
    -1x10 Merlin: (About the sword that Guinevere gives him.) "It's very... swordy."
    -1x10 Will: (To Merlin - I think this is mirrored in "The Sorcerer's Shadow" with Merlin and Gilli's conversation.) "Face it Merlin, you're living a lie just like you did here."
    -1x10 Merlin: (Will has died, but he still is his close friend.) "He still is."
    -1x10 Arthur: "In this circle, we're all equals."
    -1x10 Merlin: "I just didn't fit in anymore; I wanted to find somewhere that I did."
    -1x10 Merlin: "If it comes to a choice... between saving people's lives and revealing who I really am...there is no choice."
    -1x10 Merlin: (To Arthur) "You've just got to believe in them because if you don't, they'll sense it, and the battle will be lost before it's even begun."
    -1x10 Hunith: (To Merlin about Arthur) "You belong at Arthur's side, I've seen how much he needs you... and how much you need him."
    -1x10 Arthur: (To Merlin) "Stop pretending to be interesting."
    -1x10 Arthur: "I wish that Camelot was able to help people regardless of how far away they live."
    -1x10 Morgana: "Arthur may act like he doesn't care, but he wouldn't be here if he didn't."
    -1x10 Gaius: (To Merlin) "One whiff of a barmaids apron and you are singing like a sailor."
    -1x10 Merlin: "If it comes to a choice between saving peoples lives and revealing who I really am... there is no choice."
    -1x10 Merlin: (About Arthur) "If he doesn't accept me for who I really am then he's not the friend I hoped he was."
    -1x10 Hunith: (To Merlin, about his secret) "When the time is right the truth will be known."
    -1x13 The Great Dragon: (To Merlin) "I am your kin."
    -1x13 Merlin: (To Arthur) "But promise me this, if you ever get another servant, don't get a bootlicker."
    -1x13 Gaius: (To Merlin) "You have mastered the power of life and death itself. We'll make a great warlock of you yet."
    -1x13 Merlin: (About Arthur) "He can't die, it is my destiny to protect him! We haven't done all the things we are meant to do!"
    -1x13 Merlin: (About saving Arthur's life) "Whatever the price is I will pay it gladly."
    -1x13 Merlin: "This is my mother, my powers mean nothing if I can not save her."
    -1x13 Arthur: "Morgana, go back to bed."
    -1x13 Gaius: (About not being able to do all they want to do before they die) "That is the lament of all men."
    -1x13 Gwen: "You're not going to die, Arthur. I'm telling you..."
    -1x13 Merlin: (To Gaius) "But, most of all, you have always taught me... to do what is right."
    -1x13 Uther: (To Arthur) "In your long journey to become King, you'll need a guardian angel."
    -1x13 Arthur: (To Merlin) "I sometimes wonder if you know who I am."
    -1x13 Merlin: (To Arthur) "You're a prat... and a royal one."
    -2x09 Merlin: (About Gaius knowing he has magic) "He knows... but I'm not sure he understands."
    -2x09 Merlin: (To Freya) "Magic doesn't have to be a curse. It can be a gift." 1.
    -2x09 Merlin: (To Freya) "I like you. With you, I can just be who I am. We don't have to hide anything. We don't have to worry."
    -2x09 Merlin: (To Gaius) "You could never understand. Do you know how it feels to be a monster? To be afraid of who you are?"
    -2x13 Balinor: (To Merlin) "You are the last Dragonlord now. You alone carry the ancient gift. Deep within yourself you must find the voice that you and Kilgharrah share, for your soul and his are brothers. When you speak to him as kin, he must obey your will."
    -2x13 Arthur: "I will not stand by and watch my men die when I had the chance to save them."
    -2x13 Arthur: (To Merlin) "There are loads of servants who can serve, but so few are capable of making a complete prat of themselves."
    -2x13 Arthur: (To Merlin) "I wasn't a prince...I think we'd probably get on."
    -2x13 Balinor: (To Merlin) "I understand how Kilgharrah feels. He's lost every one of his kind, every one of his kin. You want to know how that feels?"
    -2x13 Gaius: (To Gwen) "Never underestimate the power of love. I've seen it change many things."
    -2x13 Merlin: (To Balinor) "We'd have been... happy."
    -2x13 Balinor: (To Merlin) "You are my son. I've seen enough in you to know you will make me proud."
    -2x13 Merlin: (To Arthur) "I know it's hard for you to understand how I feel, but... well, I care a hell of a lot about that armour."
    -2x13 Balinor: (To Merlin) "Deep within yourself you must find the voice that you and Kilgharrah share, for your soul and his are brothers."
    -3x11 Gilli: "It's time those with magic fought back."
    -3x11 Gilli: "I've never killed a man before. I just wanted to feel... what it was like to be... respected. But this... I'm not a killer. This isn't me."
    -3x11 Merlin: "It's... lonely... to... be more powerful than any man you know and have to live like a shadow. To... be special and have to pretend you're a fool." 2.
    -3x11 Gilli: (To Merlin) "You've been pretending for so long now that you've actually forgotten who you are."
    -3x11 The Great Dragon: "To see one of your kin die is never an easy thing. But all great struggles demand sacrifice."
    -3x11 Uther: "The most satisfying outcome of the tournament is that Arthur's actions have shown me that he is now truly ready to be king."

Worst Goof wrote:
    -1x10 Uther might say 'Cendred' instead of 'Cenred'.
    -1x10 Hunith looks older than in the S4 finale 1.
    -1x10 Bradley finding it difficult to keep a straight face when he was meant to be having a serious talk with Matthew.
    -1x10 The man who falls from his horse when the twister starts and gets tangled in the reins can be seen being dragged about twice.
    -1x13 How does Merlin reach the Island of the Blessed the second time if Gaius has used the boat? 2.
    -2x09 The sand stain on Merlin's knee appears and disappears in the scene where he first brings Freya food.
    -2x13 Arthur requests the help of a dozen Knights to fight the Great Dragon. However, 13 of them step up and stand in circle around them. Later on, when they are seen riding out of Camelot, there are only 9 Knights following him.
    -3x11 Merlin doesn't get wet when walking under rainfall, nor do the Rising Sun windows for that matter.

ACDiNosey

[29]Jan 25, 2012
    • level: 28
    I guess it's never too late, given the cycle isn't finished. Wouldn't it be more interesting to have goofs and quotes for all the episodes of the cycle rather than those that we've managed to post about by the deadline?

boom-moo

[30]Jan 25, 2012
    ACDiNosey wrote:
    I guess it's never too late, given the cycle isn't finished. Wouldn't it be more interesting to have goofs and quotes for all the episodes of the cycle rather than those that we've managed to post about by the deadline?
    I don't know. I agree it's better to have quotes and goofs for all the episodes but then if we keep adding after people have voting period has started then some people might like to change their vote and it can get terribly messy. On the other hand, it seems like people are having a hard time keeping up with the rewatching speed when it comes to cycles. I don't know what's best.

legend-dreamer

[31]Jan 26, 2012
    • level: 13

Just finishing my re-watch today (3x11 and 4x04), watched 2x09 and 2x13 last week. I will leave my observations/comments later.

Now to the votingI just noticed the edited post by BM today Sorry otherwise I would have been on earlier leaving my comments, quote choices, etc.)

Best Quote -3x11 Merlin: "It's... lonely... to... be more powerful than any man you know and have to live like a shadow. To... be special and have to pretend you're a fool." 1 point

-2x13 Balinor: (To Merlin) "Deep within yourself you must find the voice that you and Kilgharrah share, for your soul and his are brothers." 2 points

Best Goof:

-1x10 Bradley finding it difficult to keep a straight face when he was meant to be having a serious talk with Matthew. 1 point

-1x13 How does Merlin reach the Island of the Blessed the second time if Gaius has used the boat? 2 points

boom-moo

[32]Jan 26, 2012
    Added LD's votes :

Best Quote wrote:
    -1x10 Merlin: (About the sword that Guinevere gives him.) "It's very... swordy."
    -1x10 Will: (To Merlin - I think this is mirrored in "The Sorcerer's Shadow" with Merlin and Gilli's conversation.) "Face it Merlin, you're living a lie just like you did here."
    -1x10 Merlin: (Will has died, but he still is his close friend.) "He still is."
    -1x10 Arthur: "In this circle, we're all equals."
    -1x10 Merlin: "I just didn't fit in anymore; I wanted to find somewhere that I did."
    -1x10 Merlin: "If it comes to a choice... between saving people's lives and revealing who I really am...there is no choice."
    -1x10 Merlin: (To Arthur) "You've just got to believe in them because if you don't, they'll sense it, and the battle will be lost before it's even begun."
    -1x10 Hunith: (To Merlin about Arthur) "You belong at Arthur's side, I've seen how much he needs you... and how much you need him."
    -1x10 Arthur: (To Merlin) "Stop pretending to be interesting."
    -1x10 Arthur: "I wish that Camelot was able to help people regardless of how far away they live."
    -1x10 Morgana: "Arthur may act like he doesn't care, but he wouldn't be here if he didn't."
    -1x10 Gaius: (To Merlin) "One whiff of a barmaids apron and you are singing like a sailor."
    -1x10 Merlin: "If it comes to a choice between saving peoples lives and revealing who I really am... there is no choice."
    -1x10 Merlin: (About Arthur) "If he doesn't accept me for who I really am then he's not the friend I hoped he was."
    -1x10 Hunith: (To Merlin, about his secret) "When the time is right the truth will be known."
    -1x13 The Great Dragon: (To Merlin) "I am your kin."
    -1x13 Merlin: (To Arthur) "But promise me this, if you ever get another servant, don't get a bootlicker."
    -1x13 Gaius: (To Merlin) "You have mastered the power of life and death itself. We'll make a great warlock of you yet."
    -1x13 Arthur: "Morgana, go back to bed."
    -1x13 Gaius: (About not being able to do all they want to do before they die) "That is the lament of all men."
    -1x13 Gwen: "You're not going to die, Arthur. I'm telling you..."
    -1x13 Merlin: (To Gaius) "But, most of all, you have always taught me... to do what is right."
    -1x13 Uther: (To Arthur) "In your long journey to become King, you'll need a guardian angel."
    -1x13 Arthur: (To Merlin) "I sometimes wonder if you know who I am."
    -1x13 Merlin: (To Arthur) "You're a prat... and a royal one."
    -2x09 Merlin: (To Freya) "Magic doesn't have to be a curse. It can be a gift." 1.
    -2x13 Balinor: (To Merlin) "You are the last Dragonlord now. You alone carry the ancient gift. Deep within yourself you must find the voice that you and Kilgharrah share, for your soul and his are brothers. When you speak to him as kin, he must obey your will."
    -2x13 Arthur: "I will not stand by and watch my men die when I had the chance to save them."
    -2x13 Arthur: (To Merlin) "There are loads of servants who can serve, but so few are capable of making a complete prat of themselves."
    -2x13 Arthur: (To Merlin) "I wasn't a prince...I think we'd probably get on."
    -2x13 Balinor: (To Merlin) "I understand how Kilgharrah feels. He's lost every one of his kind, every one of his kin. You want to know how that feels?"
    -2x13 Gaius: (To Gwen) "Never underestimate the power of love. I've seen it change many things."
    -2x13 Merlin: (To Balinor) "We'd have been... happy."
    -2x13 Balinor: (To Merlin) "You are my son. I've seen enough in you to know you will make me proud."
    -2x13 Merlin: (To Arthur) "I know it's hard for you to understand how I feel, but... well, I care a hell of a lot about that armour."
    -2x13 Balinor: (To Merlin) "Deep within yourself you must find the voice that you and Kilgharrah share, for your soul and his are brothers." 2.
    -3x11 Gilli: "It's time those with magic fought back."
    -3x11 Merlin: "It's... lonely... to... be more powerful than any man you know and have to live like a shadow. To... be special and have to pretend you're a fool." 3.

Worst Goof wrote:
    -1x10 Uther might say 'Cendred' instead of 'Cenred'.
    -1x10 Hunith looks older than in the S4 finale 1.
    -1x10 Bradley finding it difficult to keep a straight face when he was meant to be having a serious talk with Matthew 1.
    -1x10 The man who falls from his horse when the twister starts and gets tangled in the reins can be seen being dragged about twice.
    -1x13 How does Merlin reach the Island of the Blessed the second time if Gaius has used the boat? 4.
    -2x09 The sand stain on Merlin's knee appears and disappears in the scene where he first brings Freya food.
    -2x13 Arthur requests the help of a dozen Knights to fight the Great Dragon. However, 13 of them step up and stand in circle around them. Later on, when they are seen riding out of Camelot, there are only 9 Knights following him.
    -3x11 Merlin doesn't get wet when walking under rainfall, nor do the Rising Sun windows for that matter.

pcdsa

[33]Jan 29, 2012
    • level: 12
    boom-moo wrote:
    I agree it's better to have quotes and goofs for all the episodes but then if we keep adding after people have voting period has started then some people might like to change their vote and it can get terribly messy. On the other hand, it seems like people are having a hard time keeping up with the rewatching speed when it comes to cycles. I don't know what's best.

Maybe we shouldn't have the voting and leave it to the post S5 haitus? Just continue with compiling the lists for this haitus though?

boom-moo

[34]Jan 29, 2012
    The last cycle ends September 30th. Maybe we even have some time there before series 5 begins.

pcdsa

[35]Jan 31, 2012
    • level: 12
    That sounds a good idea if it possible. That means your quotes and goofs for 4x04 can be added to the list and others can be added when people have had time to rewatch.

boom-moo

[36]Jan 31, 2012
    I think so. Sarah will be allowed to change her votes if she wants to do so whenever we decide on a closing date for submitting and a start day for voting. Sounds good to you?

illegalferret

[37]Feb 1, 2012

Sounds like a plan to me!

boom-moo

[38]Feb 1, 2012
    Good, thanks Sarah Guess it's settled then.
    Edited on 02/01/2012 2:43am

illegalferret

[39]Feb 2, 2012

I have the dvd of series 2 (and 1 &3) and the 4th disk contains 3 episodes and with 7,8 & 9 on the same disk just watching the Lady of the Lake was very tricky indeed! Anyway, watch it i did and it's such a tragic episode for poor old Merlin! You watch him fall in love with Freya, his excitement and happiness at finding someone like him is adorable, but it all changes and it's so sad watching him accept the truth about Freya and then try to come to terms with it. And when she dies ah it's soooo sad! The whole episode really helps to show you how lonely Merlin really is and how hard he's finding living with his destiny, yes Arthur is a friend but he doesn't know everything about Merlin so he has no-one to really talk to. I think episode just sums Merlin up perfectly: lovable, kind and magical!

I think i have to say that The Last of the Dragon Lords is my favourite series finale! Just when you think Merlin with his destiny and magical powers can't get any cooler, they turn him into a Dragon Lord!! Brilliant! It adds that extra layer to his character and makes his powers even greater, making it more believable that he is the greatest sorcerer to ever live. His relationship with his father is well done and believable. It's a shame he dies but to be honest i always saw it coming.

3x11: This episode truly shows Merlin coming into his own, showing who he is, his powers, responsibility and his destiny. This is the Merlin that will become the great adviser to the king and help to bring back magic. He is serious and prepared to accept the consequences of his actions. The Pendragons are also interesting in this episode as Morgana tries (and partially) succeeds pitching father against son, but her plan backfires and Arthur's position is stronger than ever at the end of the episode. I like Gilli, he's an interesting likable character but there is a certain irony about the fact Dudley Dursley having magic!!

Edited on 02/07/2012 10:06am
    Edited 2 total times.

Scop

[40]Mar 1, 2012
    • level: 4

3x11 Showed that Merlin is in a spot now where he's able to be the mentor. Gilly thinks Merlin is like his father at first, afraid to use his magic at all, but Merlin proves him wrong when he uses his magic in protection mode against Gilly's attempts at gaining the advantage over Uther.

04x04 is interesting because Merlin finds his loyalty to Arthur and the Dragons at odds. Merlin has no problem picking the dragons over Arthur. Merlin's also gotten better at being subtle with his magic, so subtle I wasn't sure if he were using it or not. When Merlin is trying to convince Arthur that Borden went East, all of a sudden the knights see clues that he has It's very reminiscent of the footprints Merlin conjured up in The Witches Quickening to get Arthur to follow him. If he becomes better at doing bigger things more subtly, he could get away with protecting Arthur out in the open with Arthur still not knowing about and not having to pass out every time Merlin uses bigger Magic.

Arthur also takes a small step in accepting might have some sort of minuscule power by accepting that Merlin can "sense" things, as he keeps asking him things, after Elion sees the manure, showing his "sense" that Bordon went East was correct, then Percivil finds the footprints, leading to the cave. After those two incidents and they start getting lost in the cave Arthur starts trusting Merlin's sensing ability "This is ridiculous, whee's he headed?" and follows as Merlin leads them to the waterfall.

Another difference between the two shows, although both involve something stolen from the vaults and a key was involved, Arthur doesn't yell at Merlin for letting someone into his room to steal the key this time out.

Edited on 03/02/2012 5:28pm