Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

Merlin steals from Hans Zimmer! (sort of)

Should TV shows use scores from other shows and/or films?

imbozimo

[1]Aug 22, 2009
    • level: 4
    During the last episode of Merlin (L'Morte De Arthur), part of the score from "The Dark Knight" is used as the background music. Composed by Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard, this score is my favorite movie soundtrack of all time. While Merlin is one of my favorite show, I felt appalled when I heard this amazing composiiton being used in a TV show. In my opinion, scores should only be used for the works they were intended for. Does anyone else agree?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Pobbit

[2]Aug 23, 2009
    I like the fact that T.V. shows have access to a huge choice of music. The writers can choose the most appropriate music for a given episode from a much larger selection, which I think makes the show better without hurting the original movie. I also think it allows shows to use wonderful music from people like Mr. Zimmer when they couldn't afford to commission an original work from him. With that said, it can be distracting for people who recognize where it was used originally. I guess the writers feel the positives outweigh the negatives. (Although, I'd need to think about it if Mr. Zimmer was unhappy with it's use. Maybe he should have a say.)

dcxboxgc

[3]Sep 1, 2009
    • level: 6
    I don't mind it at all as long as it's used appropriately. I'm sure music from the Dark Knight is going to be popular for any show or movie that has some heroic elements to it as the music is well suited for that.
    Edited on 09/01/2009 9:57am

le_atamb

[4]Sep 4, 2009
    • level: 1
    If Hans Zimmer sold the licensed the use of or sold the right to his music to some organisation that then licenses it to the "Merlin" producers, then his feelings about it being used are totally irrelevant.

Also, it is quite probable that Hans Zimmer himself (or his company) licenses his and others music to various sources.

I HIGHLY doubt that a company like the BBC would be using music for show illegally.

yamifan

[5]Sep 4, 2009

what?

Why would they use other bgms, when they have Rob Lane composing?

I have the OST. I know when it comes on that it's Rob Lane.
    It's not like with Transformers, Blood+, and the like when i have to look to make sure it's this or that.
    Both are influnced by Zimmer. Blood+ OSTs credit him more so, then the transformers ones, but it's not rocket science.

Kanno Yoko, for example, and everyone knows this, she "borrows" from other composers, like Zimmer (Badelt) but that doesn't stop anyone from buying her works.

boom-moo

[6]Sep 8, 2009
    • level: 75
    imbozimo wrote:
    In my opinion, scores should only be used for the works they were intended for. Does anyone else agree?
    I totally agree. I am a huge fan of soundtracks and I can't conceive them used out of those works they were created for. The link between images and score is way too powerful to me. Moreover, I think Rob Lane's job with the Merlin soundtrack has nothing to envy Hans Zimmer or any other composer, with all my respect to them. But yeah, I agree that BBC wouldn't be using music illegally.

ericsprau

[7]Dec 16, 2009
    • level: 11
    Question for the OP. At which point does this music play, and what song is exactly used? I did not notice it, and I have both soundtracks for The Dark Knight as well as having seen it 30+ times.
    Edited on 12/16/2009 6:32pm

boom-moo

[8]Dec 16, 2009
    I've been rewatching a couple of season 1 episodes today with the audio commentaries on and I believe it's Johnny Capps who says that all the music has been originally composed for the show and recorded in Prague with a 70 over piece orchestra. I don't know if Rob Lane got at some point inspired by The Dark Knight soundtrack or not, but I don't think anything from it is borrowed.

ericsprau

[9]Dec 16, 2009
    Me either. There have been a few points where I found the music to be reminiscent of other movies or shows, but never directly the same or borrowed.

boom-moo

[10]Dec 16, 2009
    I can't but take a bow at Rob Lane. The score is beautiful and he had a ridiculous short due date to hand it over. He seems to work wonderfully under pressure.

ericsprau

[11]Dec 16, 2009
    I would like to recommend The 4400 as a series to you, my Spanish friend. Great ensemble cast, and music selection is top notch. You shouldn't have any problems finding it online.

I too have to commend Rob. I wouldn't be surprised if other works influenced his own compositions in Merlin, but influence does not equal plagiarism.

I always work better under tight deadlines myself. There's an innuendo in there somewhere. HAHA!

boom-moo

[12]Dec 17, 2009
    Whenever I have a bit more free time I'll try and check it out, thank you I never studied any earlier than the night before an exam and I'm pretty much the queen of procrastination here so I know what you mean Anyway, I own the soundtrack for series 1 and I can't wait to get my hands on the one for series 2. I think it was released yesterday, actually.

I have the links to the websites of other Merlin composers, you can listen to some pieces there that didn't make it to the soundtrack. I was pretty surprised that the soundtrack for series 1 hardly covered the first 3 episodes.

ericsprau

[13]Dec 18, 2009
    They released a soundtrack?! Damn, I need to pay more attention to bit-torrent. :S

dpebbleson

[14]Dec 18, 2009
    • level: 24

Check out this review of Merlin soundtrack for season 1. It's positive review, but also mentions other borrowings or influences on the soundtrack.

http://www.reviewgraveyard.com/2008_reviews/music/08-11-17_merlin.htm

boom-moo

[15]Dec 18, 2009

ericsprau wrote:
    They released a soundtrack?! Damn, I need to pay more attention to bit-torrent. :S
    Tsk, tsk, tsk... you are so off There is one soundtrack for series 1 out and another one for series 2, just recently released. Here

dpebbleson wrote:
    Check out this review of Merlin soundtrack for season 1. It's positive review, but also mentions other borrowings or influences on the soundtrack. http://www.reviewgraveyard.com/2008_reviews/music/08-11-17_merlin.htm
    Thanks for that, sounds pretty subjective to me and doesn't seem to make Rob Lane a big favour despite the good mark. At least the author acknowledges that everybody is influenced by everybody, which is just logical.

dpebbleson

[16]Dec 18, 2009

Still it is a surprisingly good soundtrack, considering it is a tv series.

Of course, everyone is influenced by everyone, and most of film music is, for example, influenced by Wagner. He practically invented it, hiding the orchestra in the orchestra pit or behind the scenes. Also he influenced John Williams, and John Williams, being such a great name in film music, influenced a lot of people.

boom-moo

[17]Dec 18, 2009
    dpebbleson wrote:
    Most definitely, I love it and miss having tracks from 1x04 - 1x13.

I own every Williams' soundtrack from 1964 to 2005 and I am not able to find such clear influences. I'm not an expert though, I just enjoy music.

dpebbleson

[18]Dec 18, 2009

boom-moo wrote:
    dpebbleson wrote:
    Most definitely, I love it and miss having tracks from 1x04 - 1x13. I own every Williams' soundtrack from 1964 to 2005 and I am not able to find such clear influences. I'm not an expert though, I just enjoy music.

Yeah, that's the most important part - enjoying it. People are nowadays so much in theory, who influenced who, who stole from who and so on... Sometimes it's about arrangement, a lot of composers arranged works by other composers and folk songs, and these worked better. Sometimes it's about adding a bar or two, or putting different harmonies. But most of all, it really is about enjoying and emotion music awakes in us.

boom-moo

[19]Dec 18, 2009
    Absolutely, I sign every one of your words, really beautifully put

dpebbleson wrote:
    But most of all, it really is about enjoying and emotion music awakes in us.
    You nailed it, I can't agree more!

dpebbleson

[20]Dec 18, 2009

Thanks!

I look forward to listening to season 2 soundtrack, I hope they put that music when Arthur finds about his mother - it has some mysterious vibe that got me sitting on the edge.