Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

Mesmerised by Morgause

Sparklingwater

[41]Dec 5, 2011
    • level: 4

boom-moo wrote:
    It is, PS Yes, I also think that the bracelet was Vivian's (it'd be weird for it to be Gorlois' ) and that it bore the crest of her husband. It all fits. The thing is that if she was smuggled out only because she was illegitimate, why would Gaius lie to Uther about the child being dead? And why would he take her to the Isle of the Blessed no less? I don't know how hard it'd be to find a family who would accept to raise a child. Maybe the priestess were more welcoming? *shrugs*

Maybe Gorlois had a big problem with magic back then and if Morgause was also fathered by someone else, which must be the case since Morgana and Morgause can only be related through their mother, there might have been 2 good reasons to smuggle her out. Illegitimate and magical powers. Uther was Gorlois' clostest friend and despite the fact that he obviously didn't have a problem with magic at that point of time, Gaius lied to Uther and smuggled Morgause out of Camelot to protect both Viviane and Morgause from Gorlois and to avoid bringing Uther into this to not have Uther's loyalties divided. As his best friend, Uther might have been in an unpleasant situation when knowing that the baby was still alive. Could be that he knew about Viviane powers - I'm actually sure about that - and also wanted to protect Viviane. When thinking that Morgause was dead he wouldn't have to lie to Gorlois and Gaius and Viviane would not have fear that Uther might tell Gorlois about Morgause being alive. I refuse to believe that Uther ordered Morgause's death, it was only said that he was led to believe that she had died.

What puzzles me a lot is the fact that Morgause was smuggled out of Camelot. Gorlois was actually the Duke of Cornwall but maybe just not in this retelling, perhaps he and Viviane lived in Camelot?

What's more, Uther must have known about Viviane's magical power. Therefore he must have known about Morgana's powers too, from the very beginning.

Or it is all indeed nothing more than just a plot hole which wouldn't surprise me

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

boom-moo

[42]Dec 5, 2011
    • level: 75
    Sparklingwater wrote:

if Morgause was also fathered by someone else, which must be the case since Morgana and Morgause can only be related through their mother

Morgana and Morgause can share their mother and Morgause be fathered by Gorlois, as Uther is Morgana's father.

Gorlois was Uther's best friend and one of his knights (he died fighting for Uther) so I assume that he lived in Camelot with his family. It makes sense that Morgause was born in (and smuggled out of) Camelot shortly after birth.

jaqtkd

[43]Dec 5, 2011
    • level: 6

boom-moo wrote:
    Sparklingwater wrote:

if Morgause was also fathered by someone else, which must be the case since Morgana and Morgause can only be related through their mother

Morgana and Morgause can share their mother and Morgause be fathered by Gorlois, as Uther is Morgana's father. Gorlois was Uther's best friend and one of his knights (he died fighting for Uther) so I assume that he lived in Camelot with his family. It makes sense that Morgause was born in (and smuggled out of) Camelot shortly after birth.
    I've also assumed that Vivian was usually living out of Camelot but visiting at the time of Morgause's birth. However, when Morgause first appeared she was clearly stated as being Morgana's half sister. If Morgause's father had been Gorlois, Gaius would have thought them to be full sisters and - honestly - it's a stretch to have Morgana as a half sibling to either Morgause or Arthur, never mind a full one.

legend-dreamer

[44]Dec 5, 2011
    • level: 13

boom-moo wrote:
    Sparklingwater wrote:
    Morgana and Morgause can share their mother and Morgause be fathered by Gorlois, as Uther is Morgana's father. Gorlois was Uther's best friend and one of his knights (he died fighting for Uther) so I assume that he lived in Camelot with his family. It makes sense that Morgause was born in (and smuggled out of) Camelot shortly after birth.

I have always thought that Gorlois and Vivian are Morgauses's parents, and Uther and Vivian are Morgana's. At least from what little we have been told, that is what I have understood also.

boom-moo

[45]Dec 5, 2011
    legend-dreamer wrote:

boom-moo wrote:
    Sparklingwater wrote:

I have always thought that Gorlois and Vivian are Morgauses's parents, and Uther and Vivian are Morgana's. At least from what little we have been told, that is what I have understood also.

Me too but jaqtkd has a good point here:

jaqtkd wrote:

However, when Morgause first appeared she was clearly stated as being Morgana's half sister. If Morgause's father had been Gorlois, Gaius would have thought them to be full sisters

So unless Gaius thought Morgause to be Gorlois' but not Vivian's, he couldn't have mentioned that Morgana was her half sister as Gaius thought Morgana to be Gorlois's daughter.

I don't think that TPTB are going to get bothered filling in the gaps as I believe that they didn't plan Morgana to be Uther's daughter from the get go, hence the discrepancies.

legend-dreamer

[46]Dec 5, 2011
    • level: 13

I missed seeing Jaqtd's post.

My memory is failing me. Good point, Gaius says they are half-sisters in 2x09 2x08 and only learns that Uther is Morgana's father in 3x04 3x05. So by default it means they share the same mother and 2 different fathers. Making Gorlois not the father of either Morgause or Morgana.

Lol........my memory continues to fail me even more. thanks BM 2x08 and 3x05. (Never post when you are extremely tired and never forget to double check episode lists)

Edited on 12/06/2011 11:32am
    Edited 2 total times.

boom-moo

[47]Dec 5, 2011
    Lol, make that 2x08 and 3x05

jaqtkd

[48]Dec 5, 2011
    • level: 6

I still say it was always meant to be the mother they shared because of the way Morgause explains it was her bracelet and wants to give it to Morgana - showing the link between the three women.

So, did Gorlois get cheated on twice?