Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

Rewatching Merlin 3x09, "Love in the Time of Dragons" [2011]

dpebbleson

[21]Aug 14, 2011
    • level: 24
    boom-moo wrote:
    Guilt and hurt. Not just the heart of having to give up on the love of his life but also the hurt of being judged and misunderstood by those with magic who are resentful because he had to turn a blind eye on them.

Indeed! It must be awful to always stand the guilt, even if it's obvious that it was Uther who did it, and no one could have stopped him, and the only way to influence him was just to remain there, wait for the storm to calm down, and see what you can do.

Pretty much the advice Merlin gave to Morgana: as long as you're close to Uther, you might be able to sway him to the other side, or at least hope to save someone from him.

But Morgana acted out of passion, she just couldn't wait. She didn't have Gaius to teach her the value of being patient.

In fact, of all of them, Gaius is the most realistic person. Uther is a maniac and obsessed; Morgana is ruled by passions; Merlin is inexperienced and often rash and emotional, but not in Morgana's fashion - and he's often confused; Arthur is narcissistic and a bit shielded from reality. Maybe Guinevere is the only one with a similar mindset to Gaius', though she lacks his calmness, she panics easily.

boom-moo wrote:
    he always seems cautious, but what matters to him is actually surviving.He is probably the one (in Camelot) who has the greatest knowledge of magic, legends, secrets and whatnot. He has to be alive and alert to see most of those secrets through. Sometimes, having the meas and the knowledge is a huge responsibilty and a commitment for life.

And he seems as a responsible scientist, doing it for the sake of greater good. It becomes pretty obvious in 3x03 that Gaius never charged much for his medicine, or at least, not more than was necessary for him. I think working for Royal Family got him a steady income, so working for common people was only a plus. And he never had to pay for Merlin's education, seeing that he's one of the most learned there.

boom-moo wrote:
    He is his nephew after all, remember?

Yeah, I wish they would say it in the show more clearly. Hunith wouldn't turn to just about anyone for help. Family's family
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

boom-moo

[22]Aug 14, 2011
    • level: 75
    dpebbleson wrote:
    It must be awful to always stand the guilt, even if it's obvious that it was Uther who did it, and no one could have stopped him, and the only way to influence him was just to remain there, wait for the storm to calm down, and see what you can do.
    And he has done a fine job at that. In many occasions, Uther has been nothing but Gaius' puppet and which is awesome, is that Gaius manages to make it look as if it's Uther who is in control and giving the orders all the time. Gaius is as smart as cunning.

dpebbleson wrote:
    Maybe Guinevere is the only one with a similar mindset to Gaius', though she lacks his calmness, she panics easily.
    She lacks the knowledge, knowledge is a great weapon.

dpebbleson wrote:
    It becomes pretty obvious in 3x03 that Gaius never charged much for his medicine, or at least, not more than was necessary for him. I think working for Royal Family got him a steady income, so working for common people was only a plus.
    I bet Uther pays him well. He has a roof so he probably only needs to buy food and all those little every day commodities like candles, soap, utensils... not that there were many back then anyway. He could buy Merlin a shirt though

dpebbleson wrote:
    Yeah, I wish they would say it in the show more clearly. Hunith wouldn't turn to just about anyone for help. Family's family
    Indeed, Hunith sounds rather foolish otherwise but she surely knows that Gaius is no common man.

fantasyfreak77

[23]Aug 16, 2011
    • level: 14
    boom-moo wrote:
    dpebbleson wrote:
    Merlin is practically a kin to him, a son he never had, so it's a father's natural reaction to protect the child.
    He is his nephew after all, remember?
    They haven't actually said that in the show, have they? I remember reading it somewhere on this site though...

boom-moo

[24]Aug 16, 2011
    fantasyfreak77 wrote:
    They haven't actually said that in the show, have they? I remember reading it somewhere on this site though...
    Not in the show. It was mentioned in Secrets&Magic and in several interviews.

ACDiNosey

[25]Aug 16, 2011
    • level: 28
    Hmmm, I wonder whether that would make Gaius Hunith's brother (in which case he's very old to be her brother) or Balinor's (which would be strange)...

boom-moo

[26]Aug 16, 2011
    That was mentioned too. Gaius and Hunith are half siblings

pcdsa

[27]Aug 19, 2011
    • level: 12
    Good episode - Gaius and Alice were sweet together. Also always enjoy Geoffrey of Monmouth and his grumpiness towards Merlin. I think he is the only recurring character for all 3 series? Hope he will be around S4.

Merlin calls Arthur: thick (implied)

No dragon and no A/G moments.

boom-moo

[28]Aug 19, 2011
    What Arthur calls Merlin:
    -Daffodil.

What Merlin calls Arthur
    :
    -Thick (implied).

Arthur and Gwen moments:
    -None.

Merlin and Great Dragon meetings:
    -None.

Great Dragon's riddles:
    -None.

pcdsa wrote:
    Also always enjoy Geoffrey of Monmouth and his grumpiness towards Merlin. I think he is the only recurring character for all 3 series? Hope he will be around S4.
    Me too, grumpy and all he is a nice character.

Dungeon time:
    -Alice.

Arthur's attributes to becoming the great king of legend:
    -He gives Merlin some advice and tries to cheer him up when Merlin is upset about falling out with Gaius.

Potions made by Gaius:
    -Daily one for Uther's old battle wound.

JJuna

[29]Aug 19, 2011
    • level: 11

boom-moo wrote:
    fantasyfreak77 wrote:
    Not in the show. It was mentioned in Secrets&Magic and in several interviews.

I feel astonished and also quite annoyed at this. Surely something this important should have been mentioned at the outset, and many times since. The relationship between Gaius and Merlin is fundamental to the show, and I had imagined its basis as completely different. I guess we see what we want to see, but I genuinely had no idea that they were meant to be family.

boom-moo

[31]Aug 23, 2011
    I thought it was common knowledge by now, but yeah, it should have been addressed in the show properly. At first I thought it was part it was part of the background information that the actors got on their characters and that then it had been ruled out for some reason. However, they mention their family link in Secrets&Magic, way after 1x01 aired.

Did my homework and found links for you guys. Let's see:

-In episode 1x07 of Secrets and Magic, it is mentioned twice about Gaius being Merlin's uncle. Around 3:35 here and around 5:10 here

-At the beginning of this interview, Richard says "My step sister Hunith sends me her son Merlin".

Also, here is the letter that Hunith sends to Gaius in 1x01 as show on screen:

"My dear Gaius, I turn to you for I feel lost and alone and don't know who to trust. It is every mother's fate to think her child is special and yet I would give my life that Merlin were not so. Ours is a small village and he is so clearly at odds with people here that if he were to remain, I fear what would become of him. He needs a hand to hold, a voice to guide, someone that might help him find him a purpose for his gifts. I beg you, if you understand a mother's love for her son, keep him safe and may God save you both."

And this is the letter in the original script for 1x01:

"Gaius, my dear brother, I turn to you for I feel lost and alone, and know not who to trust. Merlin is my only child, to the eye his smiling face is like any other. It is every mother's fate to think her child is special and yet I would give my life that Merlin were not so. Ours is a small village and he is so clearly at odds with people here that if he were to remain I fear what would become of him. In these times, he needs a hand to hold, a voice to guide, someone that might help him find a purpose for his gifts. To this end, I hope and trust, my dear brother, that you will have it in your heart to be that person. I beg you, if you understand a mother's love for her son, keep him safe. And may God save you both."

Also, if anyone is interested, post #13 here lists all the changes between the original script and the final version.

Edited on 08/23/2011 9:42am

illegalferret

[32]Sep 4, 2011
    • level: 25

The exact relationship between Gaius and Merlin has never bothered me, i've never felt any great need to find out how they are related! I guess i'm weird like that

Right, my long standing inability to keep up with this year's re-watch continues as i've just re-watched this episode!! All i'm going to say is that i love Colin Morgan's performance in this episode, he's just brilliant in it. It's nice also to see some more of the effects of Uther's great purge and Gaius's position in it all. It's not a classic Merlin episode but there's something about that i really enjoy.