Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

Rewatching Merlin Week 1 - Episode 1x01 The Dragon's Call

pcdsa

[21]Mar 27, 2010
    • level: 12

boom-moo wrote:
    Hunith referst twice in her letter to Gaius as "my dear brother" which doesn't happen on screen.

Yes there seems to be a lot of confusion about what their relationship is. I wonder why it hasn't been set straight.

boom-moo wrote:
    "I'm Gwenhwyfer. But most people call me Gwen." Gwenhwyfer? Eh?

I think Gwenhwyfer is the Welsh name for Guinevere.

boom-moo wrote:
    Finally, Merlin turns a corner and is faced with his own reflection glistening in a strange, black convex mirror. He hears laughter. He looks around, trying to locate the source of the disembodied voice ...
    Merlin: Where are you?
    Great Dragon: I'm here.
    The black mirror suddenly recedes and we realise it is a huge eyeball."

That would have been great to see. I wonder if they dropped it because it may have been too scary?

Edited on 03/27/2010 9:51am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

boom-moo

[22]Mar 27, 2010
    • level: 75
    pcdsa wrote:
    Yes there seems to be a lot of confusion about what their relationship is. I wonder why it hasn't been set straight.
    Yeah, it doesn't look like a big secret or something right? Maybe they want to stress the fact that Gaius (who has never had kids of his own for all we know) is forced into some "imposed parenthood" of a total stranger whom also happens to be a great restless warlock and despite the maybe not that appealing scenario for Gaius, they end up growing extremely fond of each other.

pcdsa wrote:
    I think Gwenhwyfer is the Welsh name for Guinevere.
    I see, thanks I read that so is Emrys for Merlin, I don't think I could pronounce Gwenhwyfer

pcdsa wrote:
    That would have been great to see. I wonder if they dropped it because it may have been too scary?
    I love the image of the huge eyeball as a mirror. Doesn't sound too expensive or hard to do cgi wise so it's a pity. Maybe it was the scary factor, the way down to the cave is way more narrow and creepy in the script as well. If I'm recalling it right, Merlin even has to bend down and stuff. And they had chopped a man's head off already.

pcdsa

[23]Mar 27, 2010

It makes sense what you said about Gaius.

I think Gwenhwyfer is pronouced the same as Guinevere. I've read Emrys (Ambrosius) was the original Welsh name. In Geoffrey of Monmouth's version he changed it to Myrddin (Welsh). The Latin translation is Merlinus.

boom-moo wrote:
    I love the image of the huge eyeball as a mirror.

Yes it is a really cool idea. It's a shame they dropped it.

Edited on 03/27/2010 1:41pm

boom-moo

[24]Mar 27, 2010
    Myrddin sounds nice but I can't help but loling at Ambrosius. No offense to any Ambrosius but it doesn't sound like an epic name to me

pcdsa

[25]Mar 28, 2010

I think Myrddin is pronounced Merthin. Do you remember the short preview for The Real Merlin and Arthur and the Welsh announcer said Merthin then quickly said Merlin? Link is here.

Also after some thought, the reason why the eyeball/mirror wasn't shown may be that his eye is not big enough for Merlin not to see the rest of his body. Also the Dragon always faces Merlin head on, so to get the eyeball/mirror he would have had to look side on and contort his head. Does that makes sense?

Edited on 03/28/2010 3:53am

boom-moo

[26]Mar 28, 2010
    I don't remember about it so I'll check the link later, I'm in a rush here. Thank you

pcdsa wrote:
    Also the Dragon always faces Merlin head on, so to get the eyeball/mirror he would have had to look side on and contort his head. Does that makes sense?
    It does. They would have had to build a different cave set for the dragon's head to fit.