Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

Rewatching Merlin week 12 - Episode 2x09 The Lady of the Lake

ericsprau

[1]Mar 20, 2010
    • level: 11

Due to the lack of the WYSIWYG working, I'm going to forgo the formalities and cut to the chase.

I liked this episode because it shows us a side of Merlin we haven't yet seen; a vulnerable and lonely Merlin who tries to reach out only to find out he must also let go. I shall post my thoughts tomorrow after I watch the episode in full though.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

boom-moo

[2]Mar 20, 2010
    • level: 75

Seeing as we have 9 long months of hiatus ahead, rewatching Merlin seems like a great idea to deal with the withdrawal. Everyone is most welcome to join and leave their comments on the episode that is currently being rewatched. I think it is interesting how perspectives change once the show has progressed and we've gotten the chance to know the characters better. It is also funny to realize how we are able to catch up on new things when we watch the episodes over again.

People who found interesting to put their views in common so far are:

Episode Rewatching Thread wrote:
    boom-moo.
    illegalferret.
    ericsprau.
    merlinrules09.
    dpebbleson.
    TheCloser4eva.

Episodes Rewatched so far wrote:
    Week 1. 1x01 The Dragon's Call (boom-moo).
    Week 2. 1x11 The Labyrinth of Gedref (illegalferret).
    Week 3. 1x09 Excalibur (dpebbleson).
    Week 4. 1x10 The Moment of Truth (ericsprau).
    Week 5. 2X10 Sweet Dreams (TheCloser4eva).
    Week 6. 1x13 Le Morte D'Arthur (boom-moo) .
    Week 7. 2x07 The Curse of Cornelius Sigan (ericsprau). .
    Week 8. 1x04 The Poisoned Chalice (illegalferret). .
    Week 9. 2x08 The Sins of the Father (dpebbleson). .
    Week 10. 1x08 The Beginning of the End (boom-moo).
    Week 11. 1x12 To Kill the King (illegalferret).
    Week 12. 2x09 The Lady of the Lake (ericsprau).

Rules are as follows:

1. We got started on the first Saturday of 2010 and a new thread with a new episode choice will be open every Saturday. We are following the order in the list above to open threads and we are selecting the episodes in a random order, so all 26 episodes of both series are up to be picked anytime.

2. Everyone should copy and paste the information in this entry (Introduction and Rules) when opening a new thread. Make sure to add the episode of your choice in the list above. Keeping track of the turns and our progress will be useful when we have rewatched a bunch of episodes already and having the rules at hand will be useful for those who join us half way through.

3. Agreed that we all sometimes just don't have the time or the inclination to leave comments, I'd like to make clear that it's not compulsory to rewatch and/or comment on every single episode.

4. Anyone is most welcome to join at any time. I will make sure to add new members to the list so they have their chance to choose an episode.

5. If you don't own the DVDs or the episodes, don't let that stop you from joining. Feel free to pm me so I can give you a link to a site where to watch them online

6. Should anyone have any doubt, do not hesitate to pm me.

This week, we are rewatching Season 2 Episode 09 'The Lady of the Lake'

Edited on 03/20/2010 6:31am
    Edited 2 total times.

illegalferret

[3]Mar 20, 2010
    • level: 25

Oooh interesting choice! Haven't seen this one in a while, so will be rewatching shortly

boom-moo

[4]Mar 20, 2010
    Not one of my fav episodes either thought there are a few scenes I love, mostly because Colin, as per usual, is just superb in his acting.

The actor who plays Halig does a great job at being despicable. The growling he does at Freya before stepping in our pub is unnecessary cruel.

I love how Merlin instantly feels the connection with the Freya and the need to free her since it could be him in that cage. I tend to forget how hard must it be for him to constantly hide who he really is.

Hey, Merlin popped his head in our pub

I like how Merlin helps Freya out of the cage grabbing her by her waist. Having been chained inside the cage, immobile and cold it's nice for him to realize it'd be hard for her to walk, let alone jump.

I also like how Freya does not trust fully trust him at first until Merlin says that it could be him in the cage. People with magic can't be trusting to survive. Merlin is really cute, gentle and understanding around her and pretty good at reassuring a scared girl He does say his name first, explains why she does things things and what he would do in the morning. I love the cupboard at Gaius' chambers where the apple came from! It is a great set. And lol at the disgusting apple.

Random observation: not a fan of Merlin's reddish jacket here, I like his brown one better.

Gah, I love the scene where Arthur is sleeping Can he be any hotter no matter how unhot the context? I also love the continuation bit with the scratches on his chest (*checks her nails, none broken* ), I guess that's the swipe of the Questing Beast in 1x13 or of the gargoyle in 2x01. Very nice in any case.

And of course, my shallow self loves the towel moment and a certain screencap I won't post

Lol at merlin boiling the water. I don't like it very hot either, I could totally share a warm bath with Arthur. Oops, did I say that out loud?

Moving on... I like how Uther knows Halig, no doubt he certainly has caught more people with magic for Uther

Hello Neil Morgan, he appears like 3 times in this episode.

Aww at Freya being starving. I like that her druid symbol resembles a lot Mordred's.

Love to bits the trick with the candle flames, Merlin's expression is adorable.

Lol, Merlin not is not subtle at stealing food, is he? I hate it that Haling is willing to hit Merlin to get a confession. Merlin is a brave man. And yay for Arthur standing up for Merlin and having his full trust. After the events in 2x08 it is nice to see the close bond. "I am not fat! See, it's working?" Lol, oh Merlin.

"I am not most people" Certainly you aren't Merlin. "You can't always trust people". Doesn't Merlin know about that too? They are two people forced to leave their homes behind and to live pretending to survive. That is really sad and quite a huge burden. "I've never known anyone like you" It must be really powerful for both to find someone their age, in their 'same' situation and most importantly, someone they can be themselves with. Such a relief and some stolen happiness to an otherwise adverse reality. I really feel for Freya when Merlin says "We don't have to hide anything." She has really tried to tell him she is not like him, but Merlin's enthusiasm and her own fear I guess has made her keep silent. Poor girl.

Hello Neil.

Lol at Gaius notebook and pencil in hand examining the crime scene. Medieval CSI

Whoa, that's a huge bread Merlin got for Freya. I wonder where did he get it. The rose moment is too cute

Merlin whispering is hot. Merlin fully overwhelmed and shedding a tear as he kisses Freya is awesome.

Lol at Melrin humming.

Disappointed here at the fact that Merlin would escape with Freya and forgot about fulfilling his destiny, which had been his only and main concern so far. I mean, I understand that he never before had glimpsed the possibility of living a life where he could be himself, but still is a bit sad to witness how willing he is to leave Camelot behind.

Moths, rats... Merlin is not good at making up excuses is he?

Hello Neil.

Very bittersweet how Freya lets Merlin believe she will go along with his plan only to get the time and escape on her own not to put Merlin's life in danger. One of the things I love the most about this episode is how Gaius knew all along that Merlin had helped Freya escape and that he only confronted him about his lie when he found out Freya was the Bastet. It is a pretty heartbreaking scene.

Merlin running along the battlements without the guards noticing, tsk tsk those Camelot guards...

Love the conversation between Gaius and Merlin after Freya has escaped. "Do you know how it feels to be a monster, to be afraid of who you are?" Gah, poor boy. Gaius might know his secret but getting in Merlin's skin is a totally different thing.

Love how Freay attacks Halig first. Why doesn't she fly after being wounded instead of retreating into a corner? For the drama obviously but still.

I dislike many things about the scene where Merlin helps the Bastet escape. I find really meh the way he makes the gargoyle fall so close to Arthur and I really feel off how every guard (and Arthur too) can see Merlin running out of the square after the Bastet. He looks more than suspicious in many ways. This scene is not right to me in many levels.

Freya has turned into a Bastet twice before but it is only this one time that she doesn't get her dress back and is naked. Love Merlin's hesitation to set the boat on fire to tiny weenie bits, I'm so happy Anthony mentioned it in the audio commentary for 2x08, Colin is really an amazing actor!

Hello Gaiu's pants. I think this is thte 3rd time we see him wearing them. Aww, the Gaius/Merlin hug, so lovely

I love Arthur noticing that Merlin is upset and how he is worried it might be because of him. Merlin smiles at Arthur always being oblivious to so many things around him but still trying to make things the best he can out of his limited knowledge. The playfight is lovely, Merlin starts the banter is Arthur is relived to see Merlin smiling again. Once his mission has been accomplished, Arthur switches from friends mood to prince/servan mood again. Oh Arthur

illegalferret

[5]Mar 20, 2010

boom-moo wrote:
    The growling he does at Freya before stepping in our pub

I don't want him in our pub!

boom-moo wrote:
    Hey, Merlin popped his head in our pub

He can come in tho

boom-moo wrote:
    Gah, I love the scene where Arthur is sleeping Can he be any hotter no matter how unhot the context? I also love the continuation bit with the scratches on his chest (*checks her nails, none broken* ), I guess that's the swipe of the Questing Beast in 1x13 or of the gargoyle in 2x01.

Hadn't noticed, will have to go back and check

boom-moo wrote:
    Lol, Merlin not is not subtle at stealing food, is he? I hate it that Haling is willing to hit Merlin to get a confession. Merlin is a brave man. And yay for Arthur standing up for Merlin and having his full trust. After the events in 2x08 it is nice to see the close bond. "I am not fat! See, it's working?"

Love that bit too! Though how did Arthur find them, unless some one tipped him off.

boom-moo wrote:
    Lol at Gaius notebook and pencil in hand examining the crime scene. Medieval CSI

Well Crime scene investigation had to start somewhere!

boom-moo wrote:
    Moths, rats... Merlin is not good at making up excuses is he?

I love the whole scene, espically when Merlin bumps into Arthur and they just look at each before moving on, but then Arthur just has to pass comment!

boom-moo wrote:
    Merlin running along the battlements without the guards noticing, tsk tsk those Camelot guards...

I don't want them guarding my castle!

boom-moo wrote:
    I dislike many things about the scene where Merlin helps the Bastet escape. I find really meh the way he makes the gargoyle fall so close to Arthur and I really feel off how every guard (and Arthur too) can see Merlin running out of the square after the Bastet. He looks more than suspicious in many ways. This scene is not right to me in many levels.

I too have problems with this scene, firstly it gets really dark (light wise) really quickly, secondly why doesn't she just fly away and i too think Merlin looks way to suspicious running away, his presence there is less suspicious as Arthur is there and he is his servent. I think the gargoyle head was never really aimed at Arthur it lands no where near where he was standing but, i think it was more of a distraction than anything else.

boom-moo wrote:
    Love Merlin's hesitation to set the boat on fire to tiny weenie bits

Me too its heartbreaking, the whole farewell scene between him and Freya is soooo sweet and sad

boom-moo wrote:
    I love Arthur noticing that Merlin is upset and how he is worried it might be because of him. Merlin smiles at Arthur always being oblivious to so many things around him but still trying to make things the best he can out of his limited knowledge. The playfight is lovely, Merlin starts the banter is Arthur is relived to see Merlin smiling again. Once his mission has been accomplished, Arthur switches from friends mood to prince/servan mood again. Oh Arthur

I love that bit at the end, tho the bit when he is cleaning the shoes always makes me laugh after Harry Hill took the mick saying something along the lines of cleaning centipede shoes!

Overall an ok episode, once again this wouldn't make it into my top 5, but it does set thing up nicely for the future. Interestingly in this episode it doesn't tell the title on screen until right at the end.

boom-moo

[6]Mar 20, 2010
    illegalferret wrote:
    I don't want him in our pub!
    Me neither

illegalferret wrote:
    boom-moo wrote:
    I also love the continuation bit with the scratches on his chest (*checks her nails, none broken* ), I guess that's the swipe of the Questing Beast in 1x13 or of the gargoyle in 2x01.
    Hadn't noticed, will have to go back and check
    Here hun

These for my own (and pcdsa's) pleasure:

illegalferret wrote:
    Though how did Arthur find them, unless some one tipped him off.
    Maybe he was looking for Merlin or he was checking on how was the searching for the girl going *shrugs*

illegalferret wrote:
    Interestingly in this episode it doesn't tell the title on screen until right at the end.
    Huh?

illegalferret

[7]Mar 20, 2010

Cheers for the shoots of Arthur's chest i've studied them i great depth and can now see the scars

What i meant with the tiltle is that in most of the episodes, after the opening credits they tell you the name of the epi and who it was written by, but in this one (unless i missed it) it doesn't say that it called The Lady of the Lake, until right at the end of the closing credits.

boom-moo

[8]Mar 20, 2010
    illegalferret wrote:
    Cheers for the shoots of Arthur's chest i've studied them i great depth and can now see the scars
    That's my Sarah, gotta study the boys' anatomy in great depth indeed

Oh, I see about the title. I checked out and it's not stated after the credits indeed. Guess they randomly put it or not *shrugs*

ericsprau

[9]Mar 20, 2010
    Thank you Esther for posting the full history for me. Watching it in a little bit. Thought it would be a nice break from the darker, more action oriented episodes we have chosen lately. This should be a nice smooth transition into my NEXT choice. *Wink wink*

boom-moo

[10]Mar 20, 2010
    ericsprau wrote:
    Thank you Esther for posting the full history for me.
    You are welcome, we are almost half way through so it's important to keep track.

ericsprau wrote:
    This should be a nice smooth transition into my NEXT choice. *Wink wink*
    Lol!

ericsprau

[11]Mar 21, 2010
    Thoughts:

I love how at the beginning of the episode you can see in Merlin's eyes he plans to release her and hide her before even questioning why she has been captured.

"It could've been me in there." Oh Merlin, just admit you like her. Also, if it could've been HIM in there...couldn't he just use the same magic he released her with to free himself?

How does he know where to hide her so well? Hmmm...

LOL At the Arthur/Merlin scenes. First the breakfast, then the bath. Hilarious! Wouldn't Arthur have heard him chant to heat the water though?

The floating flames was always cool I thought. Wonder how they did that?

"You see, it's WORKING!" LMAO Good old Merlin.

It was too obvious to me who the Bastet was when it first attacked, seeing as they mentioned Freya was cursed. Took some of the mystery away from it.

More great Arthur/Merlin banter as he steals the dress. ^_^

Arthur and the knights didn't wonder about Merlin chasing the Bastet? That would seem suspect to me...

I like how Merlin dresses Freya up before he sends her off at the lake. So touching...Merlin is a closet romantic!

Finally, in the preview, I LOVE that face Vivian makes after Arthur gets hit in the duel. That oddball look. Priceless!

ericsprau

[12]Mar 21, 2010
    boom-moo wrote:
    Freya has turned into a Bastet twice before but it is only this one time that she doesn't get her dress back and is naked. Love Merlin's hesitation to set the boat on fire to tiny weenie bits, I'm so happy Anthony mentioned it in the audio commentary for 2x08, Colin is really an amazing actor!

I noticed this too, and my theory is that she can sense when the change is coming and removes her clothes before it happens since no one is around to notice anyway.

As for the rest of our thoughts...once again, pretty much the same. It's like we are in tune with each other or something (lol).

Now that I've made the more difficult of my decisions on which episode to watch, next time will be much easier.

boom-moo

[13]Mar 22, 2010
    ericsprau wrote:
    boom-moo wrote:

I noticed this too, and my theory is that she can sense when the change is coming and removes her clothes before it happens since no one is around to notice anyway.
    Nice theory, makes a lot of sense

ericsprau wrote:
    "It could've been me in there." Oh Merlin, just admit you like her. Also, if it could've been HIM in there...couldn't he just use the same magic he released her with to free himself?
    I guess he could have, but maybe he meant it could have been him generally speaking, he could have been someone with magic and unable to escape by his own means like Freya.

ericsprau wrote:
    How does he know where to hide her so well? Hmmm...
    Well, we all know Camelot guards are dumb and also that Merlin likes to wander around a lot, be it to visit the dragon, to follow sneaky people around at night and so

ericsprau wrote:
    Wouldn't Arthur have heard him chant to heat the water though?
    And we also know Arthur is deaf and blind

ericsprau wrote:
    The floating flames was always cool I thought. Wonder how they did that?
    Pouring a couple of drops of liquid nitrogen? Smoke machine? *shrugs*

ericsprau wrote:
    "You see, it's WORKING!" LMAO Good old Merlin.
    I love how he manages to puzzle Arthur and leave him wondering

ericsprau wrote:
    Arthur and the knights didn't wonder about Merlin chasing the Bastet? That would seem suspect to me...
    Yeah, I really don't like that scene a bit

pcdsa

[14]Mar 24, 2010
    • level: 12

I must admit that I didn't like the episode when I first watched it - mainly because Merlin was leaving Arthur without a second thought and he nearly killed him with the falling statue. If Freya wasn't cursed and Merlin left Camelot to be with her would he have been truly happy about not fulfilling his destiny? I don't think so!!! But I've grown to like it. On rewatching saw that the statue didn't land where Arthur was standing - so that was fine as it was just a distraction.

Loved all the Arthur / Merlin scenes except when Arthur threw the water over Merlin. Especially liked Arthur saving Merlin from being tortured and the wonderful noogie at the end. We need more of that stuff! Arthur realising that Merlin was upset was a major miracle on par with Uther apologising in 1.12.

Freya was lovely even though she did take Merlin's affections away from Arthur (sniff, sniff). The scenes between Freya and Merlin were very sweet. Merlin's final scene with Freya was beautifully done.

ericsprau wrote:
    This should be a nice smooth transition into my NEXT choice. *Wink wink*

Intrigued! Arthur's love life? But I know I will have to wait and see...

Edited on 03/24/2010 12:20pm

boom-moo

[15]Mar 24, 2010
    pcdsa wrote:
    I must admit that I didn't like the episode when I first watched it - mainly because Merlin was leaving Arthur without a second thought and he nearly killed him with the falling statue. If Freya wasn't cursed and Merlin left Camelot to be with her would he have been truly happy about not fulfilling his destiny? I don't think so!!!
    I think that Merlin leaving Camelot to start a life with Freya would have been a major mistake. Not only because he would feel remorse not having fulfilled his destiny, but also because Freya's curse would make life together really hard. He was smitten and clearly not fully thinking things over.

On the other hand, I wonder what would have the Great Dragon do if Merlin would disappear from the picture.

pcdsa

[16]Mar 24, 2010
    • level: 12

If Freya wasn't cursed he would have had to still leave Camelot to be with her because she is a Druid - whom Uther hates. And being happy with her wouldn't be enough because of Arthur and his destiny...

Oh, the dragon would be very angry because Merlin did promise in 2.01 to release him. So Merlin would have had to come back.

Edited on 03/24/2010 1:39pm

boom-moo

[17]Mar 24, 2010
    Yeah but if she wasn't cursed and they could live happily ever after, he might focus more on his happiness than in fulfilling his destiny. But Freya's curse would only make both miserable. I guess the Dragon would find a way to get Merlin back, maybe through Gaius or something.