Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

Rewatching Merlin week 13 - Episode 1x06 A Remedy to Cure All Ills

dpebbleson

[1]Mar 26, 2010
    • level: 23

Seeing as we have 9 long months of hiatus ahead, rewatching Merlin seems like a great idea to deal with the withdrawal. Everyone is most welcome to join and leave their comments on the episode that is currently being rewatched. I think it is interesting how perspectives change once the show has progressed and we've gotten the chance to know the characters better. It is also funny to realize how we are able to catch up on new things when we watch the episodes over again.

People who found interesting to put their views in common so far are:

Episode Rewatching Thread wrote:
    boom-moo.
    illegalferret.
    ericsprau.
    merlinrules09.
    dpebbleson.
    TheCloser4eva.

Episodes Rewatched so far wrote:
    Week 1. 1x01 The Dragon's Call (boom-moo).
    Week 2. 1x11 The Labyrinth of Gedref (illegalferret).
    Week 3. 1x09 Excalibur (dpebbleson).
    Week 4. 1x10 The Moment of Truth (ericsprau).
    Week 5. 2X10 Sweet Dreams (TheCloser4eva).
    Week 6. 1x13 Le Morte D'Arthur (boom-moo) .
    Week 7. 2x07 The Curse of Cornelius Sigan (ericsprau). .
    Week 8. 1x04 The Poisoned Chalice (illegalferret). .
    Week 9. 2x08 The Sins of the Father (dpebbleson). .
    Week 10. 1x08 The Beginning of the End (boom-moo).
    Week 11. 1x12 To Kill the King (illegalferret).
    Week 12. 2x09 The Lady of the Lake (ericsprau).

Week 13. 1x06 A Remedy to Cure All Ills (dpebbleson)

Rules are as follows:

1. We got started on the first Saturday of 2010 and a new thread with a new episode choice will be open every Saturday. We are following the order in the list above to open threads and we are selecting the episodes in a random order, so all 26 episodes of both series are up to be picked anytime.

2. Everyone should copy and paste the information in this entry (Introduction and Rules) when opening a new thread. Make sure to add the episode of your choice in the list above. Keeping track of the turns and our progress will be useful when we have rewatched a bunch of episodes already and having the rules at hand will be useful for those who join us half way through.

3. Agreed that we all sometimes just don't have the time or the inclination to leave comments, I'd like to make clear that it's not compulsory to rewatch and/or comment on every single episode.

4. Anyone is most welcome to join at any time. I will make sure to add new members to the list so they have their chance to choose an episode.

5. If you don't own the DVDs or the episodes, don't let that stop you from joining. Feel free to pm me so I can give you a link to a site where to watch them online

6. Should anyone have any doubt, do not hesitate to pm me.

This week, we are rewatching Season 1 Episode 06 'A Remedy to Cure All Ills'

(Disclaimer: No copyright infringement intended when posting these pictures. Merlin is property of BBC and Shine Ltd.)

Ok, I pretty much dealt with Arthur's story-line in the previous episode choices, and now it's time to move to Gaius. This is, I reckon, the first episode that deals with Gaius in depth, and in it we see the seeds planted for future very similar treatment of Gaius by Uther. Uther rarely pays any heed to what Gaius says, at least until the walls are crumbling and he swears no sorcerer will prevail while he is king, but here that is taken to extreme. This episode deals with Uther as much as it deals with Gaius. He will repeat the same mistake in the second season, and in other forms he will repeat it in an extreme way with Catrina the Troll (though through magic, which is probably used to exaggerate his lack of wisdom). But there is indeed a lack of wisdom in Uther, even though he is pronounced as a wise king.

What also characterizes Uther is his ability to adapt, to change people, but he himself stay in position. He has outlived many - sorcerer's, knights, advisors - especially due to this ability. His choice to replace Gaius was very smart in itself that he chose a younger man who would probably do it better and faster than Gaius; but his choice is also unwise in that he reacted impulsively, going for a thing without suspecting anything - thusly choosing a murderer.

Therefore, this is both Uther-centric and Gaius-centric episode, and another note. Gaius is awarded at the end, but we see later in season 2, that this award has no practical value. But when we get to that bridge, we'll cross it

P.S. Hmm, I've just noticed I have the thirteenth choice... Maybe I should have put it 12b or something?

Just joking, of course

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

illegalferret

[2]Mar 27, 2010
    • level: 25

Hmm interesting choice. I will rewatch this episode at some point over the week, I'd watch it now but i've packed my dvd!

boom-moo

[3]Mar 27, 2010
    • level: 75
    dpebbleson wrote:
    Hmm, I've just noticed I have the thirteenth choice... Maybe I should have put it 12b or something?
    Lol, it kinda fits the episode plot though The relationship between Uther and Gaius is really interesting to me. I'll rewatch and come back

pcdsa

[4]Mar 27, 2010
    • level: 12

I think you summarised the episode nicely dpebbleson, except that I don't think it is necessarily smart to pick a younger person for a job. Years of experience seems to be underestimated these days. Some old-timers are unwilling to adapt but you can't say that about Gaius. He has always been willing find new cures, learn the latest methods in science and even learn from others like Edwin in this episode.

Points of interest:

- We should have had a warning at the beginning of the episode that anyone of a nervous disposition should not watch i.e. crawling beetles over face (ugh).

- Liked Geoffrey of Monmouth's appearance - more please!

- Merlin happiness to share his secret of magic with Edwin. All these magical villians (Edwin, Nimueh & Cornelius Sigan) want to share their power with Merlin.

- Gaius meeting with the Great Dragon and my favourite line "Then turn a blind eye, that is after all your talent." I think this is when Gaius finds out that Merlin visits the dragon, which he then mentions in 2.01.

- This is the first time we see Gaius' love for Merlin and him choosing Merlin over Uther.

- Uther dismissing Gaius for Edwin reminds me a bit of Arthur choosing Cedric over Merlin. At least Arthur didn't dismiss Merlin but told him to think about whether he wanted to be his servant or not.

Edited on 03/27/2010 9:35am

boom-moo

[5]Mar 28, 2010
    pcdsa wrote:
    Gaius meeting with the Great Dragon and my favourite line "Then turn a blind eye, that is after all your talent." I think this is when Gaius finds out that Merlin visits the dragon, which he then mentions in 2.01
    I had the same feeling, Gaius realizes in this episode that Merlin is a way better sorcerer than he thought plus I think he is somehow relieved that the Great Dragon is advising him. The dragon's knowledge and magic prove superior to Gaius' and he knows that it is the dragon's interest to keep Merlin safe hence during series 2 he doesn't hesitate to encourage Merlin to go the dragon when he feels challenged to help.

Edward standing in the courtyard in the middle of the night looking towards Morgana's chambers is so not suspicious or detected, of course.

Merlin wears a really bright blue scarf and a really long red one. I had forgotten about those.

I find it adorable to see Arthur and Uther caring so much for Morgana's wellbeing.

I love Arthur's outfit in this episode. He wears way tighter pants than the ones he wears in series 2, the broad necked shirt and the long coat. Gah *passes out with a hotness overload*

Eww, Edward stays at our inn

So Merlin gets paid in shillings, interesting.

Geoffrey! He is an endearing character, he risks his neck for Gaius. Uther has forbidden to break the shield on the records from the Great Purge on penalty of death. Ashamed of his own doings? Guilty? Trying to prevent revenge acts? By the way, Geoffrey doesn't seem to have much to do and still his library place is full of cobwebs

Merlin is so reckless doing magic when he think he is alone Of course Edwin conveniently finds out and despite he is reluctant at first Merlin confesses about his gift and is happy to share. Tsk, tsk. I miss the a more meatier Colin, his face in this episode is round and cute. Season two Colin is extremly thin, although the poor man works to exhaustion.

Gah, I hate Edwin's charming and manipulative ways, they work so well with Uther it's disgusting.

It is clear that Gaius turned a blind eye and let many sorcerers die at the hands of Uther, it is highly stressed in this episode both by Edwin and the Great Dragon but what could he do? Uther is obssessed and inflexible nowadays, go figure how enraged and blind he was after Ygraine died. I believe Gaius did his best to save some (as we later learn) and that he maybe didn't oppose to the death of those who practiced black magic, as it was the case of Edwin's parents. Must have been hurtful though, sounds like Uther lit huge fires and sacrificed thousands. And the image of a small boy jumping into the fire to save his parents is hair-raising. But I think it's unfair to make Gaius carry such a big share of guilt. I don't see how it was in Gaius' power to save them, no one would have been able to prevent Uther from massacring those who practised magic. Uther probably killed many innocent people too but he knew that Gaius practised magic and yet spared him, probably because Gaius' magic was always used for good purposes. Unless Gaius gave some people away (which I find hard to believe) I see him, so to speak, as a bit of a Schindler of his time. I find it really random how some courtesans just standing around the council chamber during some important scenes.

There's a bit of a contradiction about the time Gaius has served Uther for. Uther first says that he's served him well for 25 years and then that he's been there since Arthur's birth and all that entailed. I remember wondering about that "all that entailed" when I first watched this episode. Now things make a lot more sense.

Very cute of Morgana to stand up Gaius even though she (supposedly) could have died out of his wrong diagnosis.

And very cute of Gaius too to watch Merlin sleep. He has really grown fond of the boy, who would have told him right? I wonder if Gaius has to do some trick on the guards that watch the entrance of the dragon's cave. We only see Merlin tricking them once in the first episode and from then on it's like a parade.

Whoa at the dragon making Gaius choose between Uther's and Merlin's life. And of course Gaius chooses Merlin!

Edwin tells Uther: "With your death magic will return to Camelot." How so? How can he know what Arthur's position would be? Maybe he has a remedy to foretell

Poor Gaius, his magic is so rusty!

I love it when Uther asks Gaius if he remembers Edwin's parents and Gaius replies: "I remember them all sire." It must really have haunted Gaius having a part in the purge. "There are things that I've asked you to do that you've found difficult." I wonder what those were. Uther surely left the diry job for Gaius.

"For now on I will remember that in the fight against magic you are the one person I can trust." Riight

dpebbleson

[6]Mar 28, 2010
    @pcdsa: Yeah, Gaius is very wise and learned, but we all know Uther's a ruthless being. He only cares for the results. The first sign of senility, and it puts the health of the royal family in danger, so he is better off with a younger man, who (supposedly) has a better memory, and is keeping up with modern trends. Too bad he's a sorcerer intent on revenge As for me, I'd keep Gaius. Some things can't replace plain ol' wisdom

@Esther: I guess Gaius helped some people as well (which always somehow proves for Merlin), so it kind of balances. But whether it balances enough, I can't tell. I don't think he really betrayed anyone (well, maybe he betrayed someone he really hated ), but just stood aside, and did nothing, and hurried to plead allegiance to Uther. I am also confused as to for how long Gaius has served Uther, because it messes a lot with the ages of all the people. But I guess around twenty years, he was probably at the court before Arthur was born - but I guess he won't be there after Arthur dies. Though he might outlive Uther...

Yeah, Uther really proves that he can trust Gaius...

boom-moo

[7]Mar 28, 2010
    I think Gaius standing aside, swearing allegiance to Uther and then acting at his back and against the king's commands was the more sensible option for Gaius. He wasn't in an easy position and dying with the rest wouldn't have helped magical people either. Hhe's been risking his neck in multiple ocasions ever since: protecting Merlin and helping Balinor escape, lying about Morgana's seer ability and I suspect getting baby Morgause out of the castle too.

dpebbleson

[8]Mar 28, 2010
    I agree.

Can't even imagine when Uther finds out Gaius was sheltering Merlin. That'd make a volcano instead of Camelot City

boom-moo

[9]Mar 29, 2010
    Do you think he ever will? Maybe in his last moments or something. Gaius might feel like confessing him that he acted on his back for his own good and Arthur's. Dunno *shrugs*

dpebbleson

[10]Mar 29, 2010
    I was imagining a possibility. I don't think it will happen, though. I think they're gonna kill Gaius before that.

I also think Uther will repent.

If he can, that is

pcdsa

[11]Mar 29, 2010

boom-moo wrote:
    By the way, Geoffrey doesn't seem to have much to do and still his library place is full of cobwebs

Probably he is spending all his time reading. He is the bookish type.

I wonder if they will do a prequel to this prequel of the Arthurian legends i.e. Uther-Nimueh's bargain, Arthur's birth and the Great Purge? So we can find out what really happened.

Edited on 03/29/2010 11:34am

boom-moo

[12]Mar 29, 2010
    Kill Gaius before Uther dies? *pouts* Seems logical for Uther to outlive Gaius indeed, but I'd love for Gaius to see the consequences of his "undercover" efforts and to see Merlin being a great warlock and Arthur pronounced king.

pcdsa wrote:
    I wonder if they will do a prequel to this prequel of the Arthurian legends i.e. Uther-Nimueh's bargain, Arthur's birth and the Great Purge? So we can find out what really happened.
    That'll rock to no end, we could get flashbacks of what really happened as the truth unfolds during current plotlines

pcdsa

[13]Mar 29, 2010

I was thinking of a one-off special. Maybe two hours - though they would have a lot to pack in.

boom-moo

[14]Mar 29, 2010
    pcdsa wrote:
    I was thinking of a one-off special. Maybe two hours - though they would have a lot to pack in.
    Oh, I see. I don't see it happening though. Anything like "The Real Merlin and Arthur" would be most welcome again too.

dpebbleson

[15]Mar 29, 2010
    I think at some point Gaius will have to die, or at least be gone, so Merlin is allowed to develop independently.

Hmmm, just thought of another inversion they did. Usually a hero in his journey is separated from his parents/guardians, leaves the safe nest or something, and matures independently to new knowledge. But here, Merlin leaves Ealdor which was a dangerous place for him, goes to an even more dangerous place, but again he has a father figure. Hmmm...

But if Gaius is sort of Gandalph-figure, then at some point he would have to go, so that he lets Merlin do things on his own.

Uther will probably die of heart-attack when he finds about Arthur and the Maid

They could do some time-travel episode and discover the past. But time-travels cause a lot of confusion into plots, maybe a flashback is a better choice

boom-moo

[16]Mar 29, 2010
    I know Gaius has to let Merlin fly on his own eventually but seeing as the show is only supposed to cover Merlin's early years (before he becomes the well known great warlock of legend) maybe Gaius walks most of that way together with him. Having less and less influence and less and less ability to advice him as Merlin grows up in age and experience but still there. Originally though (Richard Wilson said in an interview) Gaius was meant to die in 1x13.

dpebbleson wrote:
    Lmfao!

pcdsa

[17]Mar 30, 2010

dpebbleson wrote:
    Merlin leaves Ealdor which was a dangerous place for him, goes to an even more dangerous place

I don't understand why he left Ealdor for Camelot. Ealdor is in Cendric's kingdom where I assume magic is not banned. Balinor was in hiding in Cendric's kingdom.

dpebbleson wrote:

Yeah the villains don't need to go these extra lengths to kill Uther, they just need to tell him about Arthur and Guinevere. Job done!

Edited on 03/30/2010 9:42am

boom-moo

[18]Mar 30, 2010
    pcdsa wrote:
    I don't understand why he left Ealdor for Camelot. Ealdor is in Cendric's kingdom where I assume magic is not banned. Balinor was in hiding in Cendric's kingdom.
    Even if magic is not banned in Cendric's kingdom, I bet that doesn't stop people like Halig from hunting those who have magic in exchange of a good reward. I guess he would have hunted Merlin if he knew he was magical same as he did with Freya. For all we know, Freya never performed any magic in Camelot and still Uther would pay handsomely for her only to kill her off. Merlin's secret was not a secret anymore in Ealdor so Hunith felt that sending him away was the most sensible thing to do. Now how sensible it is to send him to the very heart of Camelot is a different story...

dpebbleson

[19]Mar 30, 2010
    pcdsa wrote:

Yeah the villains don't need to go these extra lengths to kill Uther, they just need to tell him about Arthur and Guinevere. Job done!

Who knows, some of them might just do that

ericsprau

[20]Mar 31, 2010
    • level: 11
    Will be rewatching this one tomorrow sometime, most likely. I loved this episode.