Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

Rewatching Merlin Week 22 - Episode 2x04 Lancelot and Guinevere

boom-moo

[21]May 31, 2010
    • level: 75
    dpebbleson wrote:
    Hmmm, I wonder if that hug meant they (to use Facebook terminology) 'Are In a Relationship', or 'It's Complicated'?
    We'll wait on the Facebook review for that

dpebbleson wrote:
    If the first is true, then any further romance with Lancelot is cheating.

If the second, then Guinevere is testing to see who suits her better.

And we've still got to see the cheating part. Maybe Arthur somehow breaks her heart, and she turns to Lancelot, and the whole show turns to melodrama!
    I have always thought that 2x04 was all the cheating we are gonna have. I hope that if Lancelot is brought back, Gwen sticks to Arthur despite whatever feelings she might still have for Lancelot. Although that doesn't sound too fair to Arthur either. Gah, I hate love triangles.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

dpebbleson

[22]May 31, 2010
    • level: 23
    We differ in our views of 2x04. While you think it's just the end, I think it's only the beginning. Lancelot (if he comes back) will return to complicate things further, and the cheating has yet to take place.

Now let me run away to some shelter before thunder strikes me from pcdsa's hands...

boom-moo

[23]May 31, 2010
    I am not fully convinced but I'd like to think so. Since it is a family show, I don't see it ending badly for Arthur bringing the whole cheating affair. It's supposed to happen after they marry though, so there's a long wait for that. Although then this show is unconventional in its take of the legend so anything can be.

*cuddles in her happy Arthur/Gwen bubble*

ericsprau

[24]May 31, 2010
    • level: 11
    boom-moo wrote:
    ericsprau wrote:
    I thought we did this one already? Maybe it's because I watched it when it aired on SyFy that I think that though.
    We haven't, Eric. Sarah included a list with the episodes rewatched so far in her post. And you are next, so let me know if you are doing it and if you need my help posting it

Yes, I have already chosen, I'm going to PM it to you so you can open the thread. I figure it will be easier that way.

boom-moo

[25]Jun 1, 2010
    Got the pm, thank you I'll open it for you as agreed.

pcdsa

[26]Jun 1, 2010
    • level: 12

dpebbleson wrote:
    We differ in our views of 2x04. While you think it's just the end, I think it's only the beginning. Lancelot (if he comes back) will return to complicate things further, and the cheating has yet to take place. Now let me run away to some shelter before thunder strikes me from pcdsa's hands...

As much as it pains me to admit this, I agree with you on this dpebbleson. This episode shows that the Arwen ship will be a wreck Cry - hence not enjoyable watching for me. I hope that Lancelot returns and he asks Guinevere to choose between them. This is more honourable than leaving now and having an affair later on! Guinevere makes a positive decision - not picking Arthur because Lancelot isn't around or she believes Lancelot doesn't care for her but because she loves him more. Lancelot accepts her decision and moves on. End of love triangle.

It is easier for Guinevere to declare her feelings to Lancelot because of their similar backgrounds. Lancelot declared his love first and the 2.02 Arwen kiss wasn't serious to believe that they had a future. Arthur is way out of reach but with Lancelot it is real. The 2.02 kiss was about propinquity but her feelings for Lancelot could have been driven by the dangerous situation she was in? Anyway 2.10 and 2.13 gave me hope that Guinevere loves Arthur, though not explicitly said, I'm going with actions speak louder than words.

I'd definitely prefer if Lancelot and Guinevere's kiss didn't happen but as it did in the dark and not the same music as Arwen in 2.02 would have been better.

boom-moo

[27]Jun 1, 2010
    pcdsa wrote:
    Guinevere makes a positive decision - not picking Arthur because Lancelot isn't around or she believes Lancelot doesn't care for her but because she loves him more. Lancelot accepts her decision and moves on. End of love triangle.
    If only!

pcdsa wrote:
    Arthur is way out of reach but with Lancelot it is real.
    But he is not out of reach from the moment she's aware of his feelings for her.

pcdsa wrote:
    Anyway 2.10 and 2.13 gave me hope that Guinevere loves Arthur, though not explicitly said, I'm going with actions speak louder than words.
    It's still open to interpretation if she is gonna reciprocate them. I mean, she seems to have feelings for him too, but she is not willing to act on them for now (end of 2x10) The hug in 2x13 can be read as a spur of the moment thing and doesn't necessarily need to have continuation. So, things as they were left, it can be either way (Gwen refusing to reciprocate his feelings until things change or Gwen having started to reciprocate them with actions, despite the odds).

pcdsa wrote:
    her feelings for Lancelot could have been driven by the dangerous situation she was in?
    It might have slightly conditioned her but to me it is pretty clear there was a spark there all along.

pcdsa

[28]Jun 1, 2010

As Guinevere is so reserved and cautious for her to hug Arthur must be more than just spur of the moment. Also Lancelot was more interested in Guinevere in 1.05 than she was in him. She was carrying a torch for Merlin then.

dpebbleson

[29]Jun 1, 2010
    • level: 23
    pcdsa wrote:

dpebbleson wrote:
    We differ in our views of 2x04. While you think it's just the end, I think it's only the beginning. Lancelot (if he comes back) will return to complicate things further, and the cheating has yet to take place. Now let me run away to some shelter before thunder strikes me from pcdsa's hands...

As much as it pains me to admit this, I agree with you on this dpebbleson. This episode shows that the Arwen ship will be a wreck Cry - hence not enjoyable watching for me. I hope that Lancelot returns and he asks Guinevere to choose between them. This is more honourable than leaving now and having an affair later on! Guinevere makes a positive decision - not picking Arthur because Lancelot isn't around or she believes Lancelot doesn't care for her but because she loves him more. Lancelot accepts her decision and moves on. End of love triangle.

It is easier for Guinevere to declare her feelings to Lancelot because of their similar backgrounds. Lancelot declared his love first and the 2.02 Arwen kiss wasn't serious to believe that they had a future. Arthur is way out of reach but with Lancelot it is real. The 2.02 kiss was about propinquity but her feelings for Lancelot could have been driven by the dangerous situation she was in? Anyway 2.10 and 2.13 gave me hope that Guinevere loves Arthur, though not explicitly said, I'm going with actions speak louder than words.

I'd definitely prefer if Lancelot and Guinevere's kiss didn't happen but as it did in the dark and not the same music as Arwen in 2.02 would have been better.

And I further agree with your predictions. 'Merlin' has never been very melodramatic, and they tend to resolve things quickly, and sometimes too darkly (as with Freya and Balinor). So I would expect some complications and a true love triangle, but as I get it, it will be resolved before they get married.

And take it this way - the more sourer all the affair with Arthur with Lancelot interfering, the sweeter will be Arthur's and Guinevere's reunion. Now, you might ask (rightly) - why any complications, why can't they just hook up without some stupid Lancelot? Legends aside, I think it's for the pure drama of the story - they are making it more interesting this way.

And when in the end when Arthur wins his place, it will be because of his qualities which he proved in spite of Lancelot's qualities, and not because he was the only choice. She will have two choices, and will do the right one, and then I think you may feel more happy.

Whether they might leave the hint of Lancelot returning after the Show's End, I don't know. But I think not.

boom-moo

[30]Jun 1, 2010
    pcdsa wrote:
    As Guinevere is so reserved and cautious for her to hug Arthur must be more than just spur of the moment.
    I know, I was pretty since Uther could have seen it. But I see how TPTB could dismiss that. Looks like something that can be reset-able to me.
    pcdsa wrote:
    Also Lancelot was more interested in Guinevere in 1.05 than she was in him. She was carrying a torch for Merlin then.
    I agree but she had a huge crush on him. The way she stood by the window when he left made it pretty obvious.
    dpebbleson wrote:
    And when in the end when Arthur wins his place, it will be because of his qualities which he proved in spite of Lancelot's qualities, and not because he was the only choice. She will have two choices, and will do the right one, and then I think you may feel more happy.
    I think both Arthur and Lancelot had a great set of good qualities of their own. She only needs to listen to her heart, and her words and actions so far turn the scales towards Lancelot in that regard.

pcdsa

[31]Jun 2, 2010

Unfortunately it is true that if Lancelot was around Arthur would not get a look in Cry.

I suppose because Freya and Balinor are not part of the legends their stories were resolved quickly but they are taking their time on the love triangle and Morgana's path to evil for the drama. I too hope that the show finishes with a happy ending for Arthur. After all series 1 and 2 finales had happy endings with no cliffhangers.

boom-moo

[32]Jun 2, 2010
    Even if Merlin is the central character, they are focusing a lot in the character of Arthur as well (they are two sides of the same coin after all) so I doubt they'll make him miserable in the end.

Frannie_92

[33]May 24, 2011
    • level: 1

I really hope this isn't too off topic.

A lot of people say Arthur and Gwen are moving too fast but no one is complaining about Gwen saying all that stuff to Lancelot even though he was in one episode in season one.

I don't mean to offend anyone. But if someone can explain this to me I would be really grateful.

boom-moo

[34]May 24, 2011
    Frannie_92 wrote:

A lot of people say Arthur and Gwen are moving too fast but no one is complaining about Gwen saying all that stuff to Lancelot even though he was in one episode in season one.

Well, I am for one There's an interesting discussion going on here just in case you want to check it out.

Frannie_92

[35]Jun 23, 2011
    boom-moo wrote:
    Frannie_92 wrote:

Well, I am for one There's an interesting discussion going on here just in case you want to check it out.

Frannie_92

[36]Jun 23, 2011

Thank you for the link boom-moo.

Hopefully this will actually post. I keep trying and it's not working.

boom-moo

[37]Jun 24, 2011
    You are welcome

Sorry you are having issues posting. In any case, please use the "edit" option at the scroll down menu at the botttom of your post to avoid double posting (posting twice in a row) as it goes against the rules. Thanks.