Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

Rewatching Merlin Week 4 - Episode 1x10 - The Moment of Truth

ericsprau

[1]Jan 22, 2010
    • level: 11

I struggled between choosing this episode and one from season two. The fact I choose this episode, directly following the one before it, is sheer coincidence.

The reason I chose this episode is because it shows stark contrast in the Merlin/Morgana relationship considering what we now know of their friendship due to the events at the end of Season/Series 2. Furthermore, this episode reveals just how far Arthur and the others support Merlin despite invoking war, proving how true a friend Arthur really is to Merlin.

Also, on top of Merlin's Keep for screens, this site is also excellent, providing literally hundreds (493 for this one!!) of images per episode:

http://www.tvscreencaps.com/index.php?cat=19

I used it for a couple of the screens below.

Also of note: EZTV has the full set of both Seasons for those using torrent to watch; Hulu has all of Season one for those that prefer to stream, and works in the US as well.

Screens:

Edited on 01/22/2010 11:44pm
    Edited 4 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

illegalferret

[2]Jan 23, 2010
    • level: 25
    Good choice! I'll be watching this one later for sure

ericsprau

[3]Jan 23, 2010
    illegalferret wrote:
    Good choice! I'll be watching this one later for sure

I certainly thought so! I'm waiting until Saturday in the US to watch it, so my comments are about 16 hours away yet. The rest of you should have plenty of time to watch and post initial thoughts based on my summation of the episode already. Slight problem with that last screen too; it was too big! Arthur is obviously cut slightly off the right side...sorry bout that Boom!

pcdsa

[4]Jan 23, 2010
    • level: 12
    Another one of my favourites.

When this first aired I was so sure that Arthur would find out about Merlin (as suggested by the trailer and title) but no they 'kept the magic secret' by using Will as the fall guy. Prolonging the suspense...

Loved:
    - All the Merlin / Arthur scenes but especially Bradley's adlibbed foot kick and Arthur helping Merlin with his armour.
    - Arthur's future ideals to help anyone in need.
    - First Arwen scene and Arthur saying 'Guinevere' in the way only he can.
    - Arthur's pre-battle speech with a reference to the Round Table 'In this circle we are all equals'.
    - Women fighting / kicking ass

Regarding Merlin / Arthur friendship, I agree with Will that if Merlin trusts Arthur with his life, then why hasn't he told Arthur his secret. Merlin had no answer for this. Hunith in this episode and Gaius in other episodes stress on keeping the secret. 'When the time is right the truth will be known.' Please let it be in S3.

Guinevere and Morgana explain why they are helping Merlin. But you never hear Arthur's reasons (as always he avoids any emotional conversation by suggesting it is time to rest). It is Morgana and Hunith who give his reasons.

Also interesting was Guinevere not Morgana who challenged Arthur about letting the women fight. I found it surprising for Morgana to take a back seat on this.

This episode also has the best / most hilarious audio commentary of S1.
    - Love the rapport between the four of them.
    - Katie is obviously barking mad (series 2 S&M confirmed it). dpebbleson don't take offence, this is not meant as a bad thing.
    - Katie stirring the Merthur ship and Colin recognising it. Bradley saying nothing.
    - The log scene when Katie didn't remember filming the scene. You weren't there! Oh yes she was, she was the log.
    - Bradley saying 'I love you Merlin' and this wasn't picked up by the others.
    - Bradley wanting to cross-bolt Hunith. WHY???
    - Bradley & Katie making Colin feel guilty for not saving Will.

dpebbleson

[5]Jan 23, 2010
    • level: 23

pcdsa wrote:

- Katie is obviously barking mad (series 2 S&M confirmed it). dpebbleson don't take offence, this is not meant as a bad thing.

None taken Even barking mad Katie is attractive

ericsprau

[6]Jan 23, 2010
    Well my internet is being a bugger of a butthead tonight so the download of this episode is going slow, if at all. Might be a day or two before I get a chance to watch it completely. Feel free to trudge ahead without me for now.

boom-moo

[7]Jan 24, 2010
    • level: 75
    ericsprau wrote:
    Slight problem with that last screen too; it was too big! Arthur is obviously cut slightly off the right side...sorry bout that Boom!
    Tsk, tsk, tsk... I spent the weekend away at some relatives so I'll rewatch tomorrow and I'll be back with a proper comment

ericsprau

[8]Jan 24, 2010
    boom-moo wrote:
    ericsprau wrote:
    Slight problem with that last screen too; it was too big! Arthur is obviously cut slightly off the right side...sorry bout that Boom!
    Tsk, tsk, tsk... I spent the weekend away at some relatives so I'll rewatch tomorrow and I'll be back with a proper comment

Likewise here. The episode finished downloading a few minutes ago.

Don't forget to pin.

boom-moo

[9]Jan 24, 2010
    ericsprau wrote:
    Don't forget to pin.
    I can't pin threads since this glitchy site is a pure joy at times. I've reported the glitch but the techs don't seem able to fix it. I usually contact the staff so they do it, but luckily the discussion threads have remained so far active and pretty bumped. If any falls into the second page, I'll contact the staff asap

illegalferret

[10]Jan 25, 2010

I rewatched this last night and really enjoyed, i don't remember thinking to highly of it first time round but now i really valued this epi. Some points i noted down whilst watching: 1. Uther is really polite to Merlin's mum considering she hid the last dragonlord. (Maybe that the real reason why he didn't help the village!). 2. It offers us fasinating insight into what Camelot will be like with Arthur in charge. 3.It's got good interaction between the 4 main cast members (is this the only epi in which this happens?). 4. The Merlin and Arthur conversation on the floor is brilliant 5. The moment when Will blames him for Mathew dying, Arthur looks really vaunerable and i just wanted to give him a hug 6. It gives us the first proper Arthur and Guinever moment in the forest (I love how he says her name ) 7. Its really sad when William dies because he's in pain, yeah there's no blood but its quite a nasty death!

Overall I'm very glad i rewatched it

boom-moo

[11]Jan 25, 2010
    illegalferret wrote:
    Uther is really polite to Merlin's mum considering she hid the last dragonlord. (Maybe that the real reason why he didn't help the village!)
    I don't think Uther knows it was her, right? By the time Uther's men arrived in Ealdor Balinor had fled the village already. Maybe he doesn't even remember the name of the village. It was many years ago and he seems to need Gaius to refresh his memory.

Ealdor does look the perfect palce for Balinor to hide. Somewhere small, quiet and far from people's eyes.

I really like Hunith. She is as sweet as brave and determined. Looks like the perfect companion for Balinor, and no doubt she has raised Merlin with the right set of morals.

Despite he is controversial, to say the least, I can't hate Uther. As per usual, he is in the very uncomfortable position to put his kingdom first despite personal sympathies, family pressures and even common sense. Being a king is a huge responsibility and taking decisions for the greater good often bears a big deal of incomprehension. I like how Merlin goes to Arthur for help and how he is down for not having been able to do more. It is really touchy how it is hard for Merlin to go and for Arthur to let go. Merlin is a bit more straight forward but Arthur resources to humour to block his feelings from slipping into the goodbye conversation.

Lol at the sword being swordy. Merlin is really all but a swordman.

Really nice of Morgana and Gwen tagging along recognizing how much they owe Merlin. It is not clear for how long he has stayed in Camelot but he has really caused a great impression, gained people's esteem and became a good friend for many.

Really sweet of Gaius being all father like making sure that Merlin packs all he needs. I haven't caught on this before but Gaius' "Do whatever it takes to be safe" sounds to me like "use magic if needed".

Contrary to Bradley (I don't get either why he wants Hunith crossbolted so badly) I love every Hunith and Merlin interaction. She is really a loving mother and he is a very caring son. It must really have been hard for Hunith to send Merlin away. First she lost the love of her life, then her son.

Merlin doing the dragon with the sparks having Gwen and Morgana sleeping nearby is not wise at all!

Arthur, once again, cuts Merlin short when he pours some feelings into the 'thank you' for coming conversation. Luckily his actions prove him better than his words.

Go Merlin and Morgana sword fighting! Lol at Morgana beating Arthur when they were kids, I really can imagine him throwing a tantrum and her cackling.

So far so good. Everyone seems convinced that they are doing the right thing but once they arrive in Ealdor, I like how there's a huge conflict of feelings.

Merlin trusts Arthur with his life, but he can't reveal his real self to him. Will makes him think he is just a servant and not a friend.

Merlin tells Arthur that he didn't fit in Ealdor but does he fit in Camelot? He has to keep his secret hidden as well.

Will puts Merlin Between a rock and a hard place when he accuses him of rather keeping his magic secret for Arthur's sake instead than using it to protect friends and family.

Arthur doubts he is doing the right thing trying to train some farmers and send them into a battle they most likely won't win.

Everything seems to come down to a bunch of questions with really tough answers. I like that they are all human, they doubt, they are scared. Even Arthur admits to have a dry throat before battle.

Hunith doubts that she did the right thing going in search of Merlin since she knows he will use magic if it comes to saving his people's lives.

But then, comfort and reassurance comes. Hunith reassures Merlin that Arthur wouldn't have him killed if he'd find out about his secret. Merlin reassures Arthur that he is doing the right thing and also reassures his mother that everything is gonna be alright.

In the meantime, Gwen teaches Arthur a first lesson on humility.

One of my favourite scenes is when Arthur doesn't let Merlin dress him for battle. Each one puts their own armour on and actually Arthur is the one helping Merlin. Before battle, they are equal. Lmao at Hunith fighting with a broom. They wouldn't have stood a chance not being for Merlin's magic. Nice way for Will to redeem himself.

Very awesome of Hunith to encourage Merlin to go back to Camelot because if you come to think of it, now that Will is dead it'd be safe for Merlin to stay in Ealdor. However, she's glimpsed how much Arthur and Merlin need each other. Question for native English speakers: is the "to be the two sides of a coin" expression a pretty common one? I'm wondering if there is more than just sheer chance for both the Great Dragon and Hunith using the same expression.

dpebbleson

[12]Jan 26, 2010

Thanks, boom-moo for recapitulation of the episode. You put all the key things. I am sort-of divided about this episode. It's not that I don't like it, but as your list shows, there is too much of emotional scenes in it. I think episode is saturated in all these friendship, mother-son emotional situation to a point when I at least felt it was too much for my taste. And I don't think they needed Gwen or Morgana (I don't remember which one) to say that Arthur cares a lot for Merlin, since that is very obvious from the fact that he came to Ealdor. And then they repeated it through Hunith. And then they repeated it (in a more subtle way) during Merlin's and Will's conversation. No need to repeat it that much, they should have just shown Arthur coming, and that's proof enough. But that's just my opinion, of course, I could be wrong

The other thing I don't understand is Hunith's behaviour, first advising Merlin to trust Arthur, then advising him not to trust him. And how could she possibly, on the basis of one day, know that they are two sides of one coin? I mean, not that they aren't - and it's very close to Aristotle's definition of friendship being one soul in two bodies - but one would think that more time was needed to evaluate people. But maybe Hunith has some greater intuition, who knows?

On the positive side, I think BJ's acting was great, especially when arguing with Will, when that man was killed. You could see fear in his eyes, and a great deal of insecurity that comes with his relatively young age, compared to the burden he has to carry.

Wow, I'm being such a hater, am I not? But really, I like the episode, it's just some negative sides that came to my attention. It still belongs to that group of last five or six episodes of season 1 which were a lot better than the first ones.

boom-moo

[13]Jan 26, 2010
    dpebbleson wrote:
    The other thing I don't understand is Hunith's behaviour, first advising Merlin to trust Arthur, then advising him not to trust him. And how could she possibly, on the basis of one day, know that they are two sides of one coin? I mean, not that they aren't - and it's very close to Aristotle's definition of friendship being one soul in two bodies - but one would think that more time was needed to evaluate people. But maybe Hunith has some greater intuition, who knows?
    To start from, it is not very clear why she sent Merlin to Camelot (where magic has been banned for 20 years as she very well knows from Balinor) when Will found out about Merlin's secret. If she wanted him safe, it doesn't sound like the most sensible idea (especially considering that Merlin is not that good at keeping it hidden) to send him there.

You are right in that she sounds a bit contradictory: she encourages Merlin to trust Arthur as a friend who cares but at the same time she insists that Merlin mustn't let him know about his magical powers. At least not for now. Arthur no doubt cares about Merlin and would risk his life for him (same as Merlin would do and they have both actually done for each other several times) but how has Hunith realized such a strong bond in such a short period of time is a bit intriguing. Granted that Arthur got her an audience with Uther and then joined them in the effort to save Ealdor but so did Morgana and Gwen.

For whatever reason, she knows Merlin is gonna be safe by Arthur's side, even though ironically that means getting involved in risky actions once and again. Hunith is certain that their paths walk side by side and that they'll have a great future together but it is not clear if there's more to it than maternal instinct. It puzzles me when she says that Arthur will know about Merlin when the time comes and that it'll be alright. I don't think she has any kind of premonitory ability, but there might be something we don't know about her yet.

dpebbleson

[14]Jan 26, 2010

Yes, there might be something about Hunith that we do not know... Maybe she's a witch A sorceress! Naw, just kidding.

Anyway, they really should have Arthur discover his secret, because all this angst and fear that's produced out of it seems oldish. Judging by BJ interview in the theatre, they'll probably have Arthur discover the secret and then decide what to do. And then we'll have plenty of funny situations. I expect Arthur to be infuriated, and to control himself only at the last moment. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if they complicated it a bit, and have Arthur decide not to tell Merlin about knowing his secret until the end of the season, or very late into it, so we could have even more angst and expectations, and also a sort-of reversal. Now both would be hiding and obvious secret, which is not so uncommon among people.

But these are just speculations, of course.

boom-moo

[15]Jan 26, 2010
    I'd like Arthur to find about it because he puts two and two together and not because he witnesses it. He's been written dumb too much for my taste. Also I'd like him to hide it from Merlin as he ponders and watches and makes an opinion about magic of his own. I believe it'll be different from Uther's.

Arthur is certainly gonna be conflicted about Merlin (should he trust someone who has lied to him?) and about Uther (should he follow his father's morals even though they clash with his own?) so it's really gonna be a huge development for Arthur's character. He says in this episode: 'I know magic when I see it'. Well... not always, dearest Arthur

dpebbleson

[16]Jan 26, 2010

Yes, a huge developmental thing it will be... Geez, I'm speaking like Master Yoda

As I said, I expect a huge shock, followed by even greater disappointment. If he adds two and two, like you said, he would probably set up a situation for Merlin to reveal his powers.

How will he reconcile with the revelation? Well, I expect them to have something like 'Merlin saves Arthur' and Arthur is grateful, or 'Arthur saves Merlin' and decides that magic is evil, but friendship overcomes all magic. Geez, now I sound pathetic

But very interesting thing it will be, young Merlin padawans

illegalferret

[17]Jan 26, 2010
    dpebbleson wrote:

Yes, a huge developmental thing it will be... Geez, I'm speaking like Master Yoda

boom-moo

[18]Jan 26, 2010
    You don't sound pathetic, dpebbleson. Arthur balances pretty fine mind and heart so I'm with you and Hunith in that after the shock, disappointment, tantrum... whatever, he'll come to terms with it.

pcdsa

[19]Jan 26, 2010
    • level: 12

Regarding Hunith being contradictory - it could be first she is pleased that Arthur has come to help them because of Merlin - so she wants Merlin to trust him. Then maybe later she remembers he's Uther's son / Balinor etc... and her fears set in.

Regarding the secret I would like Merlin to trust Arthur and just tell him the truth. Not because he is forced to e.g. to save his life or Camelot. But I know this isn't very dramatic. But Arthur has to find out in S3. (I'm worried if he doesn't viewers will switch off in droves and BBC won't commission another series . - sorry for being so pessimistic. This is my ultimate nightmare.) So maybe he finds out on his own, then he is extra horrible to Merlin, then he gives clues that he knows and Merlin still doesn't tell him. So he fires him in anger / frustration. Merlin doesn't understand why. Then something happens where they NEED each other and it all comes out. Cue fireworks / reconciliation / bromance!!!

boom-moo

[20]Jan 26, 2010
    Oh no, not at all! We are gonna get 5 series at least *hopes*

I guess TPTB will take the dramatic way and create tension between them prior to the making amendsn. That is gonna be a great scene!