Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

Rewatching Merlin Week 7 - 2x01 "The Curse of Cornelius Sigan"

ericsprau

[1]Feb 12, 2010
    • level: 11
    Episodes Rewatched so far wrote: Week 1. 1x01 The Dragon's Call (boom-moo).
    Week 2. 1x11 The Labyrinth of Gedref (illegalferret).
    Week 3. 1x09 Excalibur (dpebbleson).
    Week 4. 1x10 The Moment of Truth (ericsprau).
    Week 5. 2X10 Sweet Dreams (TheCloser4eva).
    Week 6. 1x13 Le Morte D'Arthur (boom-moo).

Rules are as follows:

1. We got started on the first Saturday of 2010 and a new thread with a new episode choice will be open every Saturday. We are following the order in the list above to open threads and we are selecting the episodes in a random order, so all 26 episodes of both series are up to be picked anytime.

2. Everyone should copy and paste the information in this entry (Introduction and Rules) when opening a new thread. Make sure to add the episode of your choice in the list above. Keeping track of the turns and our progress will be useful when we have rewatched a bunch of episodes already and having the rules at hand will be useful for those who join us half way through.

3. Agreed that we all sometimes just don't have the time or the inclination to leave comments, I'd like to make clear that it's not compulsory to rewatch and/or comment on every single episode.

4. Anyone is most welcome to join at any time. I will make sure to add new members to the list so they have their chance to choose an episode.

5. If you don't own the DVDs or the episodes, don't let that stop you from joining. Feel free to pm me so I can give you a link to a site where to watch them online

6. Should anyone have any doubt, do not hesitate to pm me.

"The Curse of Cornelius Sigan"

In the dark tunnels beneath Camelot an ancient tomb is discovered, filled with treasure. Gaius begs the King to seal it shut again, fearing the tomb belongs to Cornelius Sigan, an evil sorcerer who cursed Camelot and swore to one day return and destroy the city. But Uther is too taken with the treasure to listen, insisting Sigan is just a fairytale.

Meanwhile, new servant Cedric muscles in on Merlin's position as Arthur's right-hand man and turns the prince against his loyal friend. Merlin is convinced the slippery newcomer is up to something and he's right: Cedric is a conman and a thief who's after the magnificent jewel found at the heart of the tomb. Little does Cedric know, his precious prize is more dangerous than he could possibly imagine.

Camelot has never been more vulnerable but how can Merlin make things right when, thanks to Cedric, he might have lost Arthur's friendship for good? Merlin faces the prospect of turning to the creature he swore he'd never trust again: The Great Dragon.

SCREENS

Just for you Esther! LOL

Edited on 02/12/2010 4:28pm
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

boom-moo

[2]Feb 13, 2010
    • level: 75
    ericsprau wrote:

SCREENS

Just for you Esther! LOL

Squee! Thank you! *drools* You surprised me with your choice, really nice one!

Sorry to disappoint pcdsa but I am so not speaking my mind out loud for this episode either lol I'd get a bit too much and for my own good.

Alright, here I go:

Merlin is around in the anteroom whenever it's plot convenient (which anteroom, by the way? He enters Arthur's room by the main door and there's no outer room there. If you remember in 1x13 when Arthur has just come around, Gwen comes in from behind those columns that Arthur has in his room. It could be that little door Merlin uses to sneak out of Arthur's room in Beauty and the Beast Part 2 (I have to rewatch to see where that door is placed) That could lead to an anteroom but alas, Arthur's bed has been moved around again and now it's not by the windows but by the aforementioned columns partly blocking them). In any case, continuity is not big in that point because at the beginning of series 1 Morgana's main door was not rectangular (remember that cute door in episode 1 Merlin uses to come into her room when he finds her changing behind her screen?) Then it turns to a bigger and perfectly rectangular one as it can be seen in the The Beginning of the End. She also has another small square (just opposite the main one) that Gwen uses in A Remedy to Cure All Ills, when Edward sends her away to fetch water. That one could lead to an anteroom. However, when Morgana has her nightmare in this episode, Gwen doesn't use any of those doors (which are at both sides of the bed) but she comes in from across the bed. In series 2, that's where Morgana's main door is placed, apparently. Anyway, I'm losing my point here and rambling already in the very first paragraph, go Esther! (at self)

I knew this was gonna be a good Arthur (looks-wise) episode when Johnny Capps said in the London preview that his fans were gonna love the very first scene and man was he right I love it how TPTB have been extremely generous at giving us a lot of shirtless Bradley in season 2. (Some Colin wouldn't hurt though, just saying). By the way, all the pausing, slow-mo and icon making made me realize that both scenes in which Arthur is putting the keys in the drawer are actually the same one. Tsk, tsk, TPTB

Merlin has some guts there still getting into the mines when all the miners are coming out screaming. Poor him, he's called "clumsy" and "idiot" after having saved Gaius' life. He really has a hard time during this episode *hugs Merlin*

I like the fact that Uther doesn't sound greedy about the treasures. He is pleased to have found them, but he doesn't act crazy about them. "Guarding the tomb is your responsibility, Arthur." Of course it is, and killing the gargoyles and saving Uther's bum once more. Arthur doesn't have it any easy either *hugs Arthur*

Lol at Arthur's Thriller jacket, I can't help but thinking of it in that way after having listened to the audio commentary for this episode.

Cedric is pretty wise there knowing how to get to Arthur with all the pleasing and the "honour". I love Arthur's giggle and both Cedric's and Merlin's facial expressions in that scene. Merlin's hair is kind of messy and looks really good. And of course, Merlin beating Cedric at the end. Go Merlin! There's a Youtube video that a fan made when visiting the castle as they were recording this scene. I downloaded it but forgot to save it to my favourites and now I can't find it to post a link. I'm sorry because it's interesting to watch. Does anyone know what I'm talking about and have the link to it?

I guess all of you are aware of this but just in case

I don't like how Arthur steps on Merlin's back to get on his horse. I guess it was common practice back then, but I dunno, it's like going back on their friendship path and ultimately, even if Merlin would be just a servant and not a friend, I don't think Arthur needs to do that. We know he is fighting fit!

Cedric's revenge on Merlin beating him back doesn't take long to occur. Aww *hugs Merlin again* And Arthur's nice giggle makes up for his awful chaps. Lol, have you noticed that Merlin arrives back from the hunting expedition with a couple of (very stiff) rabbits? Guess they hunted a lot if he was allowed to keep those.

Call me nuts but Uther's weird spoon remind me of an Ikea design. Of course he doesn't believe in superstition or takes any of Gaius's advices seriously despite always asking for his opinion and insight in every puzzling matter.

I like a lot the story of Sigan, it's not the typical creature that comes out of nowhere. He has a past (and a very interesting one at that) and a good reason to seek revenge. His spells helped build Camelot but he grew so powerful that the king of the time ordered his execution but he had mastered life and death and promised to come back to destroy Camelot, how cool of a storyline is that?

Gwen seems to be in Morgana's anteroom as well. Merlin and Gwen only seem to use their own beds randomly. Enough of this in the first paragraph though. I love Gwen's new dresses, but I have the feeling that the blue/white one with the yellow bossom thing has been underused with regards to the purple one. I love purple in brunettes (I tend to wear quite a lot myself) but Gwen looks really nice in the other one too. And sticking to the fashion topic, Morgana's nightgown is gorgeous! I love love her white bed curtains. And as per usual, I find her prettiest with t her hair down and curly.

Lol at Morgana's sentence about Gwen probably wanting to give her a blow to the head!

I don't think I had ever caught on the flies sound when Arthur finds Merlin sleeping in the horses' dung. It really makes it even more disgusting! Lol at Merlin saying that he was just bending down and lol at Arthur mirroring Merlin when he puts his hands to his head! And of course, lmfao at the "clotpole" line. It's a really funny and sad scene at the same time.

One of my favourite scenes is the one where Gaius cleans the dung off Merlin's face, the dialogue is really well written. Poor Merlin only does everything for Arthur and just asks for some trust back but he doesn't get either the acknowledgement nor the trust *hugs Merlin again* I really like hearing Merlin say that "it's hard". Every time that I put myself in his skin I can't help but wonder how extremely hard it must be to keep your deeds tamed and your powers hidden while everyone thinks you are an idiot.

I like how Sigan's stone is empty and not shiny when his soul has been released. And I love how Merlin senses it (and how absolutely gorgeous Colin looks in the scene where he wakes up when he senses it).

"Have you been on the cider?" *winks eye to pcdsa*

I understand Merlin's frustration not being trusted but he should know by now that Arthur needs to see to believe. Shouting at him and babbling about magic and sorcerers doesn't do the trick, Merlin.

The CGI of the gargoyles is absolutely breathtaking!

I love the scene where Uther is sat alone in his throne/council room and the castle begings to collapse. It's a pretty powerful image to me. "Camelot will not fall to a sorcerer while I am king" Yeah well, not really because of your own efforts. Lol at Gaius' "if you say so" look.

Whoa at Gwen saving Arthur's life and falling on top of him. A bit of adult humour, as someone describes it in the audio commentary. And lol at Arthur being bandaged over the chainmail

It is really cool to discover that Gaius had known all along about Merlin's meetings with the Great Dragon. And I really feel for Merlin *hugs him again* when he is put in the difficult position to have to choose between breaking his own promise not to see him again and saving Arthur and Camelot. It is touchy how he swallows his pride and decides to go and ask for help. The Great Dragon, of course, takes advantage of the situation and makes him promise to release him. It provides with a great storyline for the whole series.

Eww at being exhaled a Dragon's breath over

The whole scene is amazing. I can't but bow at Colin's acting skills. I take it for granted that he is talking to an actual dragon instead of talking to a green screen with an eye-line mark on it. His facial expressions are totally fitting, believable and awesome altogether. Cheers Colin!

Sigan's last speech to Merlin is really well written too, it would have certainly convinced most to move to the dark side. As Sigan says, it must really have hurt Merlin to have been cast aside when he actually has the power to turn the tables. Merlin doesn't fold though which is really cool but I gotta reckon that I freaked out when Sigan got inside Merlin and he did the raven look thing. I remember looking at the time and thinking: "Whae? There's less than 5 minutes of episode left! How is this gonna be fixed?!" It's a bit creepy when Merlin first steps out of the mist with that serious look but yay, he's succeeded capturing Sigan's soul back inside the stone!

Uther doesn't ever learn his lesson, does he? The events only prove beyond doubt that he was right. Whatever, Uther Gaius is very good at lying at Uther, or at least at not saying all the truth. He is a very intriguing character: being a sorcerer himself, he has managed to remain close to Uther, actually becoming his right hand while doing and undoing things at Uther's back all the time. I had no doubt he was going to surprise us a lot (as the whole sneaking Morgause out of the castle or helping Balinor proved later). He is harbouring Merlin after all. Go Gaius!

I like Uther's "We must renew the efforts to eradicate magic". It sets again the storyline for the whole series, this opening episode is really good at it. We have:

-Merlin becoming a greater warlock with the extra powers that the Dragon gives him.
    -The Great Dragon making Merlin promise that he'll release him in turn.
    -Uther renewing his efforts to fight magic just when Merlin has become more powerful.

-Gwen always surprising Arthur

Not bad premises to develop along the season, right?

And this is totally cheating since I wouldn't have guessed back them but...

-Arthur will appear shirtless a lot

Now, because I'm only in my fourth Word page I will still add that I love the trailer since it covers a lot of the season. I watched and rewatched like crazy trying to glimpse and guess. The music in the trailer is another of my fav Merlin pieces of score.

Beware of myself when the first trailer for series 3 is out!

Edited on 02/13/2010 9:13am

dpebbleson

[3]Feb 13, 2010
    • level: 23
    This episode is really an excellent choice! I remember all the expectations for it. I started watching this series for the first time sometime in July, then my laptop was for repair (on this forum I realized that many laptop holding 'Merlin' episodes are prone to malfunction ) for almost the whole of August, then they started marketing the series from September 10 I think, and I didn't know what to expect.

Then "The Curse of Cornelius Sigan" came and blew me apart. It was astounding and outstanding, a great, great opener, and a great promise for the rest of the season, and if there's anything I can say is that the promise was kept. The whole season was amazing, without significant weak spots.

It showed how the story matured, the CGI became better, the actors were ever more comfortable in their roles, the story progressed. The Cedric actor (and character) was hilarious, when he sniffs at all those golden things, bracelets, coins and what not

boom-moo

[4]Feb 14, 2010
    dpebbleson wrote:
    The Cedric actor (and character) was hilarious, when he sniffs at all those golden things, bracelets, coins and what not
    According to Bradley and Colin he ad libbed a lot, like the sniffing at gems, throwing in lines that they didn'd do in rehearsals and stuff. They cracked up a lot of times but at the same time it helped making the most of the script. Mackenzie Crook does a terrific Cedric indeed!

pcdsa

[5]Feb 14, 2010
    • level: 12

I agree, this was an exciting opening episode for series 2.

Cedric was hilarious - unlike any other "villain" in series 1 or 2 - though more a chancer than a villian.

Yes boom-moo, Merlin did enter from the main door when Arthur first called out to him. Why was Merlin waiting there??? Didn't notice that the two Arthur-chest-keys-drawer scenes were the same. Havent seen the youtube fan video you mentioned. Also I too was spooked at the end when Sigan entered Merlin's body and Merlin appearing through the mist to Gaius.

Hated the scene when Merlin was Arthur's footstool - not funny at all. In the audio commentary Bradley said that the fans at the IMAX preview thought this was funny. No!!!

Loved:

- A jealous Merlin, him calling Arthur a clotpole and Mackenzie's adlib "Clotpole. He said clotpole" and Merlin's silly fight with Cedric.

- Guinevere's lilac dress, though I felt it was overused in the series. But maybe as a servant, she can't afford too many good outfits.

- Merlin going to the Great Dragon for help. Felt GD's hurt when he said 'You told me I would not see you again." Glad that bargain was struck - though we had to wait until the end of the series, it was worth it.

- Trailer at the end for series 2 - though the full BBC's online trailer here is brilliant - one of the best I've seen for a drama series. I can't tell you the number of times I've seen it, before, during and even after watching series 2. And yes it didn't disappoint. You saw Arthur kissing Guinevere, the dragon flying out through the caves and I couldn't wait to watch the episode where Arthur said to Uther "You're nothing but a hypocrite and a liar" and "The're going to kill each other" (the first three didn't make the trailer at the end of this episode though). The crescendo of the music and it stops with "The boy, Merlin"and starts up again. AWESOME!

Edited on 02/14/2010 7:56am

boom-moo

[6]Feb 14, 2010

pcdsa wrote:
    Yes boom-moo, Merlin did enter from the main door when Arthur first called out to him. Why was Merlin waiting there???
    That's the mysterious anteroom Cedric is supposed to spend the night as well. Would have made sense if they would have used the exit behind the columns, but not using the main door.

pcdsa wrote:
    Havent seen the youtube fan video you mentioned.
    I'll keep trying to find it, although I'm running out of ideas to put in the search engine and I changed the title to the one I downloaded.

pcdsa wrote:
    Guinevere's lilac dress, though I felt it was overused in the series. But maybe as a servant, she can't afford too many good outfits.
    Yeah, the blue and white one with the yellow top has been underused. And she has never worn the one that her father bought for her in 1x12, but maybe it just brings back bad memories or something.

Glad to hear I am not the only one who get obsessed about the trailers. The link you provide doesn't work for me. Do you mind checking the trailers posted at the series 2 spoilers thread and telling me if it's one of those?

Edited on 02/14/2010 8:31am

pcdsa

[7]Feb 14, 2010
    Yes it's in the spoilers thread - second post - trailer 3 - here . Just watched it again and again and again - BRILLIANT.

boom-moo

[8]Feb 14, 2010
    pcdsa wrote:
    Yes it's in the spoilers thread - second post - trailer 3 - here . Just watched it again and again and again - BRILLIANT.
    Oh my, I know. I loved it as well I watched and rewatched and paused and whatnot. It is really well edited and very intense, the music building up to an exciting climax, pretty terrific!

ericsprau

[9]Feb 14, 2010
    • level: 11
    pcdsa wrote:
    Guinevere's lilac dress, though I felt it was overused in the series. But maybe as a servant, she can't afford too many good outfits.

I also thought Morgana's wardrobe seemed rather minuscule throughout Series 2 as well. She wears the same dress a lot, it seemed. I will post my thoughts on the episode when my internet is working better (that's why I've been missing lately).

boom-moo

[10]Feb 14, 2010

Really? She got some 4 new dresses (two green ones, two white ones) right? Did she wear any of the green ones in series 1? Maybe because the colours are similar it looked like she was wearing the same one, but I didn't get that feeling.

Edit: I think she already had one of the green ones in series 1. I should check at home but I think the one she wears in 201 when she is nursing people is the same she wore in for example 108, when she has the big argument with Uther about having let Mordred go. Only that for series 2 the dress got some stone ornament around the collar area or something. I will come back with screencaps if I am recalling it right

Edited on 02/14/2010 11:52pm
    Edited 2 total times.

pcdsa

[11]Feb 15, 2010

boom-moo wrote:
    the blue and white one with the yellow top has been underused. And she has never worn the one that her father bought for her in 1x12, but maybe it just brings back bad memories or something.

Agreed. Guinevere's looked good in both her new dresses. By the way, I've just checked and she was wearing the lilac one in 2.04 when she was kidnapped. Morgana had a purple dress, which later Guinevere wore. So how come she got it back the lilac one for the rest of the series??? I can only remember Morgana with a green and a white dress. Have you got the screen caps for all her dresses, boom-moo? Are we getting off the topic thread?

boom-moo

[12]Feb 15, 2010
    pcdsa wrote:
    I've just checked and she was wearing the lilac one in 2.04 when she was kidnapped. Morgana had a purple dress, which later Guinevere wore. So how come she got it back the lilac one for the rest of the series???
    Obvious reason. Kendrick was kind enough as to keep it for her

pcdsa wrote:
    I can only remember Morgana with a green and a white dress. Have you got the screen caps for all her dresses, boom-moo? Are we getting off the topic thread?
    So so. It all comes related to Eric's comment so we're just a tad off

Sorry about the awful and blurred caps but I'm in a rush here.

Alright, green dress. She has 2 of them during season 2. One is an old one from series 1, but they put some ornamental stuff around the collar area for series 2.

Here: Old series 1 dress:

Photobucket

Same dress in series 2:

Photobucket

Her new green dress, a lighter one:

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Now, she's got 2 new white dresses. The silver one:

Photobucket Photobucket

Then this other one:

Photobucket

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
    Edited on 02/15/2010 1:26pm
    Edited 2 total times.

pcdsa

[13]Feb 16, 2010

boom-moo wrote:
    Maybe because the colours are similar it looked like she was wearing the same one, but I didn't get that feeling.

I don't concentrate much on Morgana (sorry to be sacrilegious dpebbleson) so I think that's why her dresses seem the same to me.

boom-moo wrote:
    Edit: I think she already had one of the green ones in series 1. I should check at home but I think the one she wears in 201 when she is nursing people is the same she wore in for example 108, when she has the big argument with Uther about having let Mordred go. Only that for series 2 the dress got some stone ornament around the collar area or something. I will come back with screencaps if I am recalling it right

Well spotted on the additional ornaments to her dress - "you never cease to amaze me" boom-moo. She needs to wear other colours, I think her wardrobe in 2.09 when Merlin was searching around in it, had lots more coloured dresses than just green and white.

Anyway, there is a TV show called Harry Hill's TV Burp - where this guy makes fun of TV shows during the week and Merlin has been on it a few times. Here's one for this episode. They are a good laugh.

Edited on 02/16/2010 2:57am
    Edited 2 total times.

dpebbleson

[14]Feb 16, 2010
    I rarely notice these dresses and such, except the fact that they look medievalish, but I never fail to notice Morgana, and also that some of us don't concentrate on her too much

So these were interesting things you mentioned, but I would never have seen them. I did catch the fact that she likes green, but apart from that I am oblivious to what she wears..

boom-moo

[15]Feb 16, 2010
    pcdsa wrote:
    "you never cease to amaze me" boom-moo.
    Lol!

pcdsa wrote:
    She needs to wear other colours, I think her wardrobe in 2.09 when Merlin was searching around in it, had lots more coloured dresses than just green and white.
    Those were the ones affected by the moths

I'm at work but I'll check the clip asap, sounds interesting, thanks for sharing

You don't even focus in her night gowns, Danko?

pcdsa

[16]Feb 16, 2010

boom-moo wrote:
    pcdsa wrote:
    She needs to wear other colours, I think her wardrobe in 2.09 when Merlin was searching around in it, had lots more coloured dresses than just green and white.

Nice one .

boom-moo

[17]Feb 16, 2010
    pcdsa wrote:
    Anyway, there is a TV show called Harry Hill's TV Burp - where this guy makes fun of TV shows during the week and Merlin has been on it a few times. Here's one for this episode. They are a good laugh.>
    Medieval hands free mobile What do you guys make of Gwen falling on Arthur in this episode? Adult humour? Beginning of the romance? Bit of both?

dpebbleson

[18]Feb 16, 2010
    boom-moo wrote:
    pcdsa wrote:
    "you never cease to amaze me" boom-moo.
    Lol!

pcdsa wrote:

I'm at work but I'll check the clip asap, sounds interesting, thanks for sharing

Night gowns... Hehehe, you caught me. But still, the fan girls are much luckier with night scenes, than us male fans I mean, why shouldn't season 3 now begin with Morgana bare-bosomed?

pcdsa

[19]Feb 16, 2010

Outrageous (while LOL) - this is a family show after all!!! I'll die of shock!!! Heaving bosoms are ok, more subtle...

Bradley (in 2.10 commentary) said his chest scenes in 2.01 were gratuitious. But producers wanted to keep the fans (i.e. boom-moo) happy.

boom-moo wrote:
    What do you guys make of Gwen falling on Arthur in this episode? Adult humour? Beginning of the romance? Bit of both?

Heaving bosoms - definitely for the men. But maybe the start of the physical attraction for Arthur?

boom-moo

[20]Feb 16, 2010
    dpebbleson wrote:
    boom-moo wrote:
    Night gowns... Hehehe, you caught me. But still, the fan girls are much luckier with night scenes, than us male fans I mean, why shouldn't season 3 now begin with Morgana bare-bosomed?
    Gotcha! I sgree TPTB are really generous with us girls. I've heard Johnny Capps define Bradley as a "extremely good looking actor" and I'm happy to concur As for Morgana pulling a topless, well, that'll be the end of Uther

pcdsa wrote:
    Bradley (in 2.10 commentary) said his chest scenes in 2.01 were gratuitious. But producers wanted to keep the fans (i.e. boom-moo) happy.
    He was all meh about it, lol.

boom-moo wrote:
    What do you guys make of Gwen falling on Arthur in this episode? Adult humour? Beginning of the romance? Bit of both?
    Heaving bosoms - definitely for the men. But maybe the start of the physical attraction for Arthur?[/QUOTE]I'm more inclined to go with the first. I think Arthur's attraction to Gwen started in a non physical way mostly.