Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

Rewatching Week 14- The Nightmare Begins

pcdsa

[21]Apr 7, 2010
    • level: 12

illegalferret wrote:
    i kindda feel the steps taken in this episode help Arthur to express his feelings about Guinevere in episode 4.

I'm also not sure about this. They exchanged a look when Arthur assured Uther that he trusts Guinevere and then his last conversation with Merlin about women not at your level cannot be friends let alone anything else. I still think 2.04 came too fast from 2.02.

Edited on 04/07/2010 9:05am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

boom-moo

[22]Apr 7, 2010
    • level: 75
    Even Merlin was about Arthur speaking of marriage. That was too much indeed.

pcdsa

[23]Apr 13, 2010

I'm still getting my head around to the Great Dragon being over 1000 years old. He spent 20 years imprisoned, which is less than 2% of his lifetime! His kind have been hunted to extinction. He is the last one. It makes his action even more understandable in 2.13.

Edited on 04/13/2010 3:20am

boom-moo

[24]Apr 13, 2010
    Go figure if you were the last of our kind (let's say we live 80 years average), and you were imprisoned by someone of a kind that only lives for 8 years (1/10 your average). Although we don't know for long dragons live, the Great Dragon looks healthy and much in shape to me despite he's been chained for 20 years so that makes the comparison even crazier. I would be enraged and thirsty for revenge like I can't imagine, and I totally get he would enjoy seeing Camelot fall on top of Uther's royal head but still why would the dragon try to kill Arthur in 2x13? Unless he plans to annihilate the whole kind of the humans, Arthur is his only hope for a better future.

pcdsa

[25]Apr 13, 2010

Absolutely the age comparisons are mind bogling. Well, when you are so angry and out for revenge, you aren't always rational.

boom-moo

[26]Apr 13, 2010
    pcdsa wrote:
    Well, when you are so angry and out for revenge, you aren't always rational.
    Indeed, probably he didn't give a darn, blind and furious as he was, but he was putting a nail in his coffin.

pcdsa

[27]Apr 13, 2010

When you are the only one left, it may seem like there is no reason to live?

boom-moo

[28]Apr 13, 2010
    Well, seeing the man who killed your kin dead sounds like a good reason. Killing Arthur would destroy Uther in a different way (probably even a more effective and painful one since I bet the dragon knows about Arthur's birth and even if he doesn't, a kingdom without an heir would be the end of Uther and Camelot) but I don't think that was the dragon's intention, at least not at first. I think he wanted to kill Uther out of revenge and since he wasn't achieving it, he just went irrational, didn't give a darn about it and killed as many as he could to cause as much pain as possible.
    Edited on 04/13/2010 4:34am