Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

Series 4 Speculations

Connor91

[21]Dec 8, 2010
    • level: 6

I do hope the beginning of series 4 focuses on Uther and Arthur's relationship, we didn't get to see much of it at the end of series 3 and I want to see how the deal with Morgana's betrayal and then see how Uther reacts to the knights and possibly to Gwen if that is revealed.

I'm not sure what effect Morgana's betrayal will have on Uther. It could soften him but it could also make him even more of a tyrant.

I can't say I'm too interested in the Gwen/Lancelot thing but I do hope Elyan stays. I like Gwen having something to do that isn't to do with Arthur or Morgana. Angel Coulby really shines when she is given something interesting to do and I hope they use her character more in series 4.

Even though I love Morgana and tend to get bored by the episodes where she doesn't play a major role (lol, fanboy) I hope she doesn't come back STRAIGHT away. I'd like the focus of series 4 to be on Arthur/Uther/Merlin/Gwen/The Knights and then just as everything seems settled, THEN Morgana comes back. I much prefer the idea of her being a like lingering dark cloud over their heads than her just keep popping up. It would be kind anti climatic if Morgana and Morgause show up in 4x01 in the centre of Camelot causing chaos. I mean by all means I'd like to see what they are up to but just away from Camelot for a little while. Also, is series 4 being aired in 2012 or 2011? I keep finding different sources saying different things *prays for 2011*

Edited on 12/08/2010 1:39am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

boom-moo

[22]Dec 8, 2010
    • level: 75
    Connor91 wrote:
    Also, is series 4 being aired in 2012 or 2011? I keep finding different sources saying different things *prays for 2011*
    The most reliable one said 2011 around it's usual time of the year (it might be a bit later like early October since it's 3 eps shorter) not being affected by Doctor Who split up.

pcdsa

[23]Dec 8, 2010
    • level: 12
    I too would like S4 to start where S3 ended. But would TPTB be brave and have the first episode with no villians or monsters for Merlin to save the day and just dealt with the fallout i.e. concentrated on the characters & relationships?

boom-moo

[24]Dec 8, 2010
    That'd be great, pcdsa. But since the season is gonna be shorter maybe they can't afford such an episode. And it might turn out boring for the youngest between the audience.

LizzyGlue

[25]Dec 10, 2010
    • level: 20

I honestly think Merlin needs to be mentored by both the Great Dragon and Gaius in order to reach his potential in knowledge and magic. We know he will become the greatest warlock in the land, but we also know that he usually gets guided by one of those two characters when confronted with a though problem.

The dragon rescued him in 3x01 as he was unable to undo the magical chains Morgause bound him with. Gaius helped him in 3x13 after Morgause knocked him about and rendered him temporarily defenceless.

I hope TPTB will allow us to see him get more powerful before his mentors are written off the show. I admit I'm partial to the great dragon and I'll miss him too much if he goes. Better to lose Gaius.

D-syfer

[26]Dec 10, 2010
    • level: 10
    You know I was thinking that the Great Dragon and Gaius will not be the only ones guiding Merlin to become the greatest warlock in the land. Remember Alice? I have a feeling that she will some day mentor Merlin in some way because she is so much advance when it comes to magic. Much more advance than Gaius even. Alice got away alive so there's a possiblity that in the next season she will come back.

boom-moo

[27]Dec 10, 2010
    I don't see Alice very willing to show up in Camelot again. Her bad choices made her hurt Gaius and ruin their second (and probably last) chance to be happy together; I think she must be ashamed of that. And since she was once corrupted by magic, I'm not sure Merlin would be fully able to trust her. I don't think I could.

D-syfer

[28]Dec 10, 2010

Well, if she wants to make amends with her mistakes in the past, she might try to prove herself by helping the Gaius or Merlin in the future. She was only possesed by the Manticor, and she is now free from its power, and Merlin knows that.

Edited on 12/10/2010 6:40pm

LizzyGlue

[29]Dec 10, 2010
    • level: 20

I admire Alice for using her gifts for healing, which enabled her to succeed at helping perhaps when "conventional healing" was not possible.

I do think she showed poor judgement in underestimating the power of the manticore and thinking she could use its powers for good and it cost her dearly. This may no recommend her as a mentor to Merlin.

Who knows, if their paths cross during one of Merlin's many quests and adventures perhaps she'll teach him a few healing spells.

D-syfer

[30]Dec 10, 2010
    LizzyGlue wrote:

Who knows, if their paths cross during one of Merlin's many quests and adventures perhaps she'll teach him a few healing spells.

Yeah, Merlin suck at healing spells. He needs to improve on that.

ChocoApples

[31]Dec 11, 2010
    • level: 2

In regard to the reveal, I'm about 99% certain it'll be either at the end of series 4 or the end of series 5, as a season finale. Please, please, please make it at the end of series 4. I'm not sure I could cope with the end of Merlin being all:

Merlin: Arthur, I have magic. *conjures fire*

Arthur: Oh dear Merlin *shocked face*

Morgause; she's a goner. I think the way Morgana reacted by tearing the castler down after she felt for her sister's pulse was a pretty good indication of the result. But then again, nothing is ever certain on Merlin. I hate reset buttons.

boom-moo

[32]Dec 11, 2010
    ChocoApples wrote:
    Morgause; she's a goner. I think the way Morgana reacted by tearing the castler down after she felt for her sister's pulse was a pretty good indication of the result. But then again, nothing is ever certain on Merlin. I hate reset buttons.
    But we have seen all through series 3 that Morgana's magic is very weak and pretty much anger driven (like tearing the roof down proved). I don't think she is able to make her and Morgause disappear like Morgause did in 2x12, so I guess it was Morgause's magic which allowed for that so I take she is (or at least was) alive at the end of the episode.

Bridgess91

[33]Dec 11, 2010
    • level: 8
    Well I think that Morgana will probably search in Gaius's past. She knows he has been a sorcerer. Maybe she'll want Gaius to suffer by killing alice as she suffered when he "killed" Morgause.

boom-moo

[34]Dec 11, 2010
    Bridgess91 wrote:
    Well I think that Morgana will probably search in Gaius's past. She knows he has been a sorcerer.
    Does she? Sorry, can you remind me when she found out?

Bridgess91

[35]Dec 11, 2010

When Uther tell Gaius that he would be ready that Gaiusdo everythingto save her. Didn't he mention magic?

If not, well I'm sure that she will learn about it soon or later.

Edited on 12/11/2010 7:42am

boom-moo

[36]Dec 11, 2010
    Oh, I was thinking The Witchfinder for some reason. Yeah, you must be right. I can't recall if Morgana was conscious when Uther told Gaius about using magic. I don't like The Crystal Cave, I have only rewatched the scene of Merlin crying over Arthur.

Bridgess91

[37]Dec 11, 2010
    Yes, there was some evidences in The Witchfinder too. But it seems that Morgana is not smart enough to do the link as Arthur didn't do the link between Merlin and magic

boom-moo

[38]Dec 11, 2010
    In the Witchfinder it is revealed to Arthur but not to Morgana. Sorry for confusing you, that's the only episode I could think of. But then there's the Crystal Cave indeed.

Bridgess91

[39]Dec 11, 2010

Um.. well she can't be ignorant all her life!

Maybe she'll try to go to the old religion as Merlin did in 1x13 and then, she'll met Alvarr and Mordred or maybe just Mordred.

Edited on 12/11/2010 8:14am

boom-moo

[40]Dec 11, 2010
    I just rewatched and Uther orders Gaius to use sorcery right before confessing Morgana is her daughter. She only shows signs of beig conscious when the part about being his daugher is mentioned but I guess she has actually listened to the whole of it. I think you are right, thanks for pointing me in the right direction