Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

Series 4 Speculations

pcdsa

[162]Aug 7, 2011
    • level: 12
    From UFoM thread:
    boom-moo wrote:
    Merlin returns to BBC One on Saturday 8th October. It's in the BBC handbook for their Autumn lineup. They have it as a preliminary date so could change but I also worked out that Doctor Who returns to BBC on 27 August for 6 episodes, (last episode on 1st Oct) So Merlin returning the week after works out right Source and Source.

That's good news even though we have to wait a few weeks longer. I was worried that if Merlin aired at the same time as Dr Who then it might have been on a different day. Merlin is perfect for Saturday nights. So I have worked out that Merlin will run to the end of December which means episode 12 could be a funny Christmassy one or more like previous series building up to a dramatic series finale.

Two month countdown starts tomorrow!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

boom-moo

[163]Aug 7, 2011
    • level: 75
    pcdsa wrote:
    episode 12 could be a funny Christmassy one or more like previous series building up to a dramatic series finale.
    I'd go for the later, last episodes don't tend to be funny, they are always more on the dramatic side.

zeencat

[164]Aug 16, 2011
    • level: 10
    Do we have an airdate of season4?

boom-moo

[165]Aug 16, 2011
    Not yet. There are bits and pieces of info at the UFOM but TPTB haven't been informed by the BBC yet.

Questions at the Q&A, please

dpebbleson

[166]Aug 19, 2011
    • level: 23
    boom-moo wrote:
    pcdsa wrote:
    episode 12 could be a funny Christmassy one or more like previous series building up to a dramatic series finale.
    I'd go for the later, last episodes don't tend to be funny, they are always more on the dramatic side.

It could be great if episode 12 would be a christmassy one While two-parters are good vehicle for series finales, I still like "The Last Dragonlord" more than "The Coming of Arthur", so one episode can cover it pretty well.

I wonder how Morgana will fare this series. I guess some sort of revenge plot will be going on. I'd like her to actually succeed at something, killing someone important or something like that, like Gaius, e.g. I wouldn't want the entire series to be yet another elaborate plan, thwarted completely in the end.

I think we can expect an episode related to the sword in the stone. It has to be pulled from that stone, right? In the legends, only Arthur could do that. So maybe Merlin leads him to it (making it all look like coincidence), and Arthur gets to pull it. I sure hope Arthur wields the sword, after three series, it'd be justice.

boom-moo

[167]Aug 19, 2011
    dpebbleson wrote:
    It could be great if episode 12 would be a christmassy one
    I'd love to see snow in Camelot but they don't film there when there's any snow around *pouts*

dpebbleson wrote:
    I wonder how Morgana will fare this series. I guess some sort of revenge plot will be going on. I'd like her to actually succeed at something, killing someone important or something like that, like Gaius, e.g. I wouldn't want the entire series to be yet another elaborate plan, thwarted completely in the end.
    She has to stop looking lame indeed. A powerful and revenge thirsty Morgana will be great to watch but it'd be quite a change from Morgana 3.0 (relying in Morgause, hardly able to perform magic) to 4.0. (Independent, strong, powerful). If such a change exists, I want it to be well explained.

Also, I want her to be something different than your 'baddie of the week'. I think that's gonna be tricky and the key part for the writers to write Morgana.

dpebbleson wrote:
    I sure hope Arthur wields the sword, after three series, it'd be justice.
    Me too, so far it's been Uther and then Merlin *pouts* I hope he is indeed the only one able to pull it from the stone. I hope TPTB don't become too 'creative' there.
    Edited on 08/19/2011 12:39pm
    Edited 2 total times.

pcdsa

[168]Aug 20, 2011
    I too think we need to see Morgana winning a few battles not being defeated after every episode though that will go against Merlin's tradiational happy endings.

I don't see the sword in the stone story coming back until S5 just before Arthur is to become king of Albion... not just Camelot though TPTB are inconsistent when they refer to Albion.

boom-moo

[169]Aug 20, 2011
    pcdsa wrote:
    I too think we need to see Morgana winning a few battles not being defeated after every episode though that will go against Merlin's tradiational happy endings.
    Exactly, that's why I think it'll be challenging to write her in a way that she isn't the 'baddie of the week' and still make her successful here and there. I guess she could win little battles just not vs Merlin and Camelot but vs other characters. For example, she might conquer a castle (she needs somewhere to live after all), she might come into possession of an article of magic in the hands of someone random, she might form a little alliances here and there adn fight foes here and there to become more powerful every time and have a real chance to fight Merlin and Arthur towards the end of the season. Her little achievements could be a build up towards and epic end.

jaqtkd

[170]Oct 9, 2011
    • level: 6

I wonder if Merlin initially survived the Dorocha was because he had magic, or because his name means 'immortal' or ... because he willingly gave his life to them?

boom-moo

[171]Oct 9, 2011
    I think it has to do with his magic. He is mortal but not a common one, not even a common sorcerer. I think that he was able to hold on and cling to life but that he wouldn't have lasted long without the help of the Vilia.

Anyway, that's a topic better suited for the episode rewatch thread, jaqtkd This thread is to speculate about storylines and events that might be addressed throughout series 4, spoiler free.

dpebbleson

[172]Nov 27, 2011
    Time for some speculations, I'm sure some will laugh at the last one

- Is the whole trust issue leading up to the Reveal?

- Will we actually find out what Agravaine's motivation is? Anyone have any idea? So far he has given us no clue as to why he would side with Morgana...

- Does anyone think Morgana finds out about Merlin in the finale? I think she might find out, and then reveal him to Arthur. I imagine Agravaine, resourceful as ever, will be the one to actually figure it out...

- How will Guinevere's reputation be cleared? I imagine, as someone pointed out in the episode thread, they will link the bracelet in the coming episodes.

- I dreamt last night that the greatest twist of the series 4 finale will be that Morgana gets pregnant Lmao, I know it sounds ridiculous, but who knows Maybe by Agravaine?

Connor91

[173]Nov 27, 2011

dpebbleson wrote:
    Time for some speculations, I'm sure some will laugh at the last one - Is the whole trust issue leading up to the Reveal?
    I hope so I would like to see a good chunk of the episodes be about everyone coming to terms with Merlin's magic. I just fear that the Reveal will be like the penultimate ever episode of Merlin.
    dpebbleson wrote:
    - Will we actually find out what Agravaine's motivation is? Anyone have any idea? So far he has given us no clue as to why he would side with Morgana...
    Character motivations? Which make sense? On Merlin? Haha, I'm kidding. I think probably they just don't want to see Arthur on the throne. I don't know. I have to commend the writers for the way they have written Agravaine. They have made a point of showing his negative reaction to magic but at the same time have shown that he does genuinely care about Morgana. I always thought he would double-cross her but now I'm not so sure.
    dpebbelson wrote:
    - Does anyone think Morgana finds out about Merlin in the finale? I think she might find out, and then reveal him to Arthur. I imagine Agravaine, resourceful as ever, will be the one to actually figure it out...
    That would be quite a good way to end s4 I think. I'm not sure though, I think they are gearing up to a redemptive storyline for Morgana. Her feeling sorry for Lancelot, her feeling Uther's pain, that..thing.. in the cave telling her she was destined to bring back the old ways. I don't know. I like having one overarching villain for the show so whilst part of me would like to see her character happy/content, another part of me likes her as the antagonist. All I hope is if she does find out that she has a go at him for keeping it from her and leading to her being isolated. I don't think its 'Merlin's fault' but I just hope she brings it up and chastises him. In my head I imagine a nice 'all this time we could have been friends' moment a la Whatever Happened to Baby Jane.
    dpebbelson wrote:
    - How will Guinevere's reputation be cleared? I imagine, as someone pointed out in the episode thread, they will link the bracelet in the coming episodes.
    I am almost certain they will find the bracelet. I think her throwing it and the shot of it on the floor in the corner of the cell was definitely deliberate. It reminds me a bit of s2 of Buffy when there was a shot of the disk which contained the spell to return Angel's soul.
    dpebbelson wrote:
    - I dreamt last night that the greatest twist of the series 4 finale will be that Morgana gets pregnant Lmao, I know it sounds ridiculous, but who knows Maybe by Agravaine?
    Lmao maybe, maybe. That would have been a cool way to bring in Mordred haha.

boom-moo

[174]Nov 27, 2011
    Connor91 wrote:
    dpebbelson wrote:
    I am almost certain they will find the bracelet. I think her throwing it and the shot of it on the floor in the corner of the cell was definitely deliberate.
    I'm with you guys, I think they focused a lot on it and where it fell to only to be a random shot.

dpebbleson

[175]Nov 27, 2011

Connor91 wrote:
    Time for some speculations, I'm sure some will laugh at the last one - Is the whole trust issue leading up to the Reveal?I hope so I would like to see a good chunk of the episodes be about everyone coming to terms with Merlin's magic. I just fear that the Reveal will be like the penultimate ever episode of Merlin.

I fear that as well, but every year I keep hoping, less and less, but still hoping. Right now I'm resting my hopes on the fact that they said the plan was to crown Arthur in the very last episode of the show. If they could be flexible about that, I figure they might be flexible about the whole thing of the Reveal happening in 'episode 5 million"...

Connor91 wrote:
    Character motivations? Which make sense? On Merlin? Haha, I'm kidding. I think probably they just don't want to see Arthur on the throne. I don't know. I have to commend the writers for the way they have written Agravaine. They have made a point of showing his negative reaction to magic but at the same time have shown that he does genuinely care about Morgana. I always thought he would double-cross her but now I'm not so sure.

Yeah, indeed, at best he's very uneasy around magic, but he still loves Morgana so much. I wonder why... Maybe while Morgana was the queen, she promised him something, maybe their ties go as far as that. Or he had romance with Morgause, and promised Morgause he would look after her sister. Morgause had many allies...

Connor91 wrote:
    That would be quite a good way to end s4 I think. I'm not sure though, I think they are gearing up to a redemptive storyline for Morgana. Her feeling sorry for Lancelot, her feeling Uther's pain, that..thing.. in the cave telling her she was destined to bring back the old ways. I don't know. I like having one overarching villain for the show so whilst part of me would like to see her character happy/content, another part of me likes her as the antagonist. All I hope is if she does find out that she has a go at him for keeping it from her and leading to her being isolated. I don't think its 'Merlin's fault' but I just hope she brings it up and chastises him. In my head I imagine a nice 'all this time we could have been friends' moment a la Whatever Happened to Baby Jane.

Well, if she doesn't find out, the Redemption would be a grand substitute! I've always wished for Morgana to go Darth Vader, and indeed, her bringing back the old ways... I think she will figure out that Merlin alone and her alone will not be able to bring about the return of the Old Religion, but if they work together... maybe, just maybe...

Connor91 wrote:
    I am almost certain they will find the bracelet. I think her throwing it and the shot of it on the floor in the corner of the cell was definitely deliberate. It reminds me a bit of s2 of Buffy when there was a shot of the disk which contained the spell to return Angel's soul.

Yeah, there was definitely something in that shot, I hope the bracelet reappears, than Gaius finds out it is "the working of the priestesses of the high religion, back in the old days, now rare and mostly forgotten, but a powerful weapon all the same" and so on and so forth

Connor91 wrote:
    Lmao maybe, maybe. That would have been a cool way to bring in Mordred haha.

Or she could reunite with Mordred! Nevermind my dreams, Morgana is always on my mind, no wonder it's nonsense

jaqtkd

[176]Nov 27, 2011

boom-moo wrote:
    Connor91 wrote:
    dpebbelson wrote:
    I am almost certain they will find the bracelet. I think her throwing it and the shot of it on the floor in the corner of the cell was definitely deliberate.
    I'm with you guys, I think they focused a lot on it and where it fell to only to be a random shot.

I just thought it's a shame that it's not series 1; otherwise Merlin would soon find it - the amount of time he used to spend in prison

Connor91

[177]Nov 29, 2011
    Having seen the deleted scene between Morgause and Morgana from 4x01, I'm starting to think maybe Morgana might rebuild the Isle of the Blessed as a safe haven for magical creatures/people. That scene in Lancelot du Lac with the Dochraid(?) thing saying she was destined to bring back the old ways made me think about it and if they do decide to go down a redemptive path with her I think it would be a nice touch. Even if she stays evil it would also give her a place to plan her dastardly deeds & 40 minute allegiances lol. There has been a lot of emphasis on her being the last of her kind and on what the isle of the blessed used to be. In a few variations of the legend she is/becomes a ruler of a magical kingdom/island and it would be nice to reference that.

dpebbleson

[178]Nov 29, 2011
    "to plan her dastardly deeds & 40 minute allegiances" lmao!

I think there's definitely something in the whole "you will bring about the old ways". Maybe it hints that in the end Morgana will have to work with Merlin for the betterment of magic.

Maybe some new villain emerges at the end of S4, and only Morgana and Merlin, joined together can stop the disaster.

I like the whole idea of rebuilding the Isle of the Blessed. Maybe Morgana redeems herself by devoting a lifetime to instructing young priestesses.

Without tuition fee

pcdsa

[179]Nov 29, 2011
    dpebbleson wrote:
    Time for some speculations, I'm sure some will laugh at the last one

- Is the whole trust issue leading up to the Reveal?

That would be great but if it came in the fnal scene of 4.13 the agony of waiting 9 months to see Arthur's reaction...

lastknight

[180]Nov 29, 2011
    • level: 2
    The reveal? Surely not... Johnny Capps is guarding that plotline like it's the last cookie in a jar. I doubt it'll happen, but even should it... It'll no doubt be in episode 13. Then they will conveniently skip a full year like usual. Bummer.