Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

Series 4 Spoilers Thread

BridgetWidget

[101]Mar 25, 2011
    • level: 1
    Hey, been watching this thread but I thought it was time to but my two cents in.

With Uther all broken and such, and with tension forming around Arthur's choice of Knights and the reveal of Arthur's relationship with Gwen (??); Agravaine could come along start to put pressure on Arthur about his rule, gaining support of the Nobles that think very little of the commoners.

I don't know much about Kingdoms and heirs, but the show has broken a few rules before, so there could be a possibility that he could attempt to take over the throne. To do that he would need Morgana and Morgause's help probably (that is, if they are finally smart enough to form a Plan B when the first one is foiled by Merlin).

So yeah, but this is just speculation.

(I still wish that Morgause was dead. I figured that was one plot arc over and gave Morgana a chance to be her own person)
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

boom-moo

[102]Mar 25, 2011
    • level: 75
    Hello BridgetWidget and welcome around

BridgetWidget wrote:
    With Uther all broken and such, and with tension forming around Arthur's choice of Knights and the reveal of Arthur's relationship with Gwen (??); Agravaine could come along start to put pressure on Arthur about his rule, gaining support of the Nobles that think very little of the commoners.
    That's interesting as Arthur might actually listen to him (providing he is his uncle) seeing as he is infatuated with the thought of his mother.
    BridgetWidget wrote:
    I don't know much about Kingdoms and heirs, but the show has broken a few rules before, so there could be a possibility that he could attempt to take over the throne. To do that he would need Morgana and Morgause's help probably (that is, if they are finally smart enough to form a Plan B when the first one is foiled by Merlin).
    I don't think that Agravaine would stand much of a chance claiming the throne even if M&M would let him/trust his loyalty. Arthur is a Pendragon and even if the Nobles don't approve of his latest decisions (his rule breaking while naming knights etc) he has always risked his neck for Camelot and his decisions have restored Uther to the throne. Speaking of having someone other than Arthur on the throne would be treason (Arthur himself snapped harsh at Gaius when he urged Arthur to take the lead in the opening series 3 two parter).

ACDiNosey

[103]Mar 25, 2011
    • level: 28
    I agree with Bridgetwidget. I think it's likely Agravaine will at least query the state of the head of Camelot and make his own bid... Although Arthur is the heir apparent, the kingdom has suffered greatly and is in a state of weakness (for one, it has a lot fewer knights than it did before the battle for Camelot!).
    Given the kingdom is ruled by a very weak and confused king (and/or unofficially by his son, who has no official powers to do so) it seems an ideal time for other people to make a claim for the kingdom, and Agravaine could come and stir things a bit in that direction.
    He could also simply take over as ruler of Cenred's kingdom and stir muddy waters by bringing a lot of stuff (Arthur's birth, Tristan's death (I'm not sure TPTB remember him as being Ygraine's brother, though)).
    I'm not sure whether Agravaine stands a chance or not, but that's beside the point to some extent. I think anyone thirsty for power would see that point in time as a golden opportunity to get somewhere and become more powerful.

boom-moo

[104]Mar 25, 2011
    ACDiNosey wrote:
    I'm not sure whether Agravaine stands a chance or not, but that's beside the point to some extent. I think anyone thirsty for power would see that point in time as a golden opportunity to get somewhere and become more powerful.
    I meant that as in being rightful to the throne, not as in having the resorces to get it. I agree it's somehow beside the point as it's indeed the perfect time to either try and take over or to manipulate in one's best interest.

illegalferret

[105]Mar 25, 2011
    • level: 25

Here's a point we don't know who ruled Camelot before Uther? Maybe it wasAgravaine and Ygraine's Dad?

Edited on 03/25/2011 10:23am

boom-moo

[106]Mar 25, 2011
    It could be but it seems to me that Uther and Ygraine married for love (maybe they didn't and were very much in love afterwards, I dunno) but even though that is still possible if Uther took over Ygraine's father, it sounds a bit off.

Nathaniel Parker on Channel 4's The Morning Line (February 19, 2011) here and on The Alan Titchmarsh Show (March 24th, 2010) here. It's mentioned that he is Merlin pretty much in passing, no new spoilerish info than his presence as a guest in the show.

Edited on 03/25/2011 12:25pm

West3rd

[107]Mar 26, 2011
    • level: 11

Week two Completed Council chambers here. No one exciting Laughing

telytubie

[108]Mar 26, 2011
    • level: 3

Hmm, maybe Morgana's still hiding somewhere inside the castle with an injured Morgause ... growing up in the castle, she may know of some secret chamber no one knows of, the castle must be full of them. Would have made some sense in explaining their 'disappearance'. And how Agravaine apparently get to work with Gwen, Gaius, Merlin AND Morgana.... because they're all in the castle somewhere.

And maybe Agravaine'll be the one helping Morgana/Morgause escape Camelot.... if Morgause's injured, in a coma or something (Merlin's secret will be safe for a while if Morgause does know) Morgana's going to need help to leave Camelot and somewhere to hide out..... maybe.... and lots of maybe.....

West3rd

[109]Mar 26, 2011
    • level: 11

Here is the full interview SFX's Johnny Capps here.

boom-moo

[110]Mar 26, 2011
    Nathaniel mentions that he gallops through the forest of Dean so I guess he moves between wherever M&M are and Camelot. And I think that Merlin might probably sense Morgause's magic if she stays too close, but that's me.

SFX article about Merlin s4 here.
    -Quite dramatic things await Gwen and Morgana.
    -There won't probably be as many comic episodes as in previous seasons.
    -There's camaraderie, friendship and respect between the Great Dragon and Merlin, they help each other out.
    -Changing the format so Arthur knows about Merlin's magic would completely change the dynamic of the show and it doesn't sound like a good idea to the producers since to them it was never about Arthur finding out.

As per usual, vague, predictable and nothing we haven't heard before but hey.
    Edited on 03/26/2011 6:04am
    Edited 3 total times.

jane9115

[111]Mar 26, 2011
    • level: 5

I really don't like how their going to continue keeping it a secret, I know everyone here has their own scenario about Arthur finding out but at this point its become so frustrating and repetitive in the storyline that I'm just sick of it. I want Arthur to find out, I feel like it would open a whole bunch of storyline options than by not doing it :/

*Goes to brood*

boom-moo

[112]Mar 26, 2011
    It has never been in TPTB's agenda and they don't tire of reminding it so I guess no reveal in series 4 and will see about series 5. It might not come until the very end of the show if it comes at all.

ACDiNosey

[113]Mar 26, 2011
    • level: 28
    I'm sort of starting to think of a scenario where Arthur turns back to Merlin and says: "but Merlin, I've known all along". That would annoy me to no end, but given how S3 can be read either way in places, I guess it's a possibility...

jane9115

[114]Mar 26, 2011
    • level: 5

Well I'm just going to delude my self with thoughts that they are just trying to throw us of because all the actors want it to be discovered :/

I just cant imagine them being able to do a good job with the reveal in the lasttwoepisodes of season but Iguess thats the worst case scenario...

Wonder_

[115]Mar 27, 2011
    • level: 4

Wow thanks for gathering all the spoilers! Morgause is back yay! And the bit about Agravaine sounds really interesting.

No news about whether Asa Butterfield will be back yet? Since Mordred is such an important character in Arthurian Legend it would be really strange for him not to appear this season ...

boom-moo

[116]Mar 27, 2011
    jane9115 wrote:

Well I'm just going to delude my self with thoughts that they are just trying to throw us of because all the actors want it to be discovered :/

I could do with that not being because TPTB have had the same take about it ever since the beginning of series 1. And the fact that despite the audience is becoming very loud about it the show figures keep increasing puts them at ease.

Wonder_ wrote:

No news about whether Asa Butterfield will be back yet? Since Mordred is such an important character in Arthurian Legend it would be really strange for him not to appear this season ...

Nothing yet. I assume he is done with the movie he was doing last year, so unless he has new projects lined up we might see him back.

Tankim

[117]Mar 27, 2011
    • level: 4

Yeah, spoiler time again! Somehow I love it because it means that a new season is coming up :-D

I think Agravain is Igraine's brother or half brother, although I'd like him to be Uther's brother, since I'd like to know more about the Pendragon family and their past. In the original legends, Agravain is Igraine's son, so I think that in *Merlin* he is related to Igraine. Maybe, Gwaine is Agravain's son, which would make Gwaine Arthur's cousin. Again close to the legend, in which Gwaine is Arthur's nephew.

Edited on 03/27/2011 6:36am

texasislandr

[118]Mar 28, 2011
    • level: 8

Tankim wrote:

Yeah, spoiler time again! Somehow I love it because it means that a new season is coming up :-D

I think Agravain is Igraine's brother or half brother, although I'd like him to be Uther's brother, since I'd like to know more about the Pendragon family and their past. In the original legends, Agravain is Igraine's son, so I think that in *Merlin* he is related to Igraine. Maybe, Gwaine is Agravain's son, which would make Gwaine Arthur's cousin. Again close to the legend, in which Gwaine is Arthur's nephew.

That would be cool, but I doubt it would happen because they already said his father died in battle. The king then left him and his mother without anything to survive on, which is why Gwaine hates royalty in the series Poor Gwaine. I do believe Agravain will be related to Igraine though.

Edited on 03/28/2011 1:20am

boom-moo

[119]Mar 28, 2011
    Colin interview here.

-There's huge changes for Merlin in Series 4. It is clear that Camelot is heading in a new direction and the characters' arcs are starting to take their place.
    -Colin doesn't think the reveal will happen quickly or will be resolved quickly.
    -He also confirms that the show will air in the Autumn, either in September or October 2011.

illegalferret

[120]Mar 28, 2011
    • level: 25

Cheers for posting that Esther!

Reading that has made me all excited for the autumn! From what Colin said about the Merlin magic reveal it sounds like they are really beginning to lay the ground work for it all to come out or is that just wishful thinking on my part?!