Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

Series 4 Spoilers Thread

ACDiNosey

[161]Apr 14, 2011
    • level: 28

Katie McGrath interview here. Placed here because ever so slightly spoilery.

I must admit I've never seen the "levels of smirking" she refers to... I could be very rude about it but I'll refrain...

"A year has also passed with everyone knowing that she is magical" Uhm, I must have missed some S3 episodes, then. To my knowledge, as far as S3 goes, only Merlin knows... (and Uther if you consider the deleted scenes from S3). Where is Katie getting this from? Is this actually a spoiler?!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

WitchyWeasel88

[162]Apr 14, 2011
    • level: 14

Gwen knows, doesn't she, from spying on her in The Eye of the Phoenix? So does Gaius. There is a year long gap between the end of series 3 and the start of series 4,so with Morgana now outed to everyone as the villainous smirk-queen of doom (if nothing else),I think it's a pretty safe bet that Morgana's magic would have been blabbed (to Arthur at least and then on from there) but that Merlin fibbed about just how much he knew. I would have liked to have actually seen how things developed after CoA though.

These jumps annoy me for hurtling characterisations forward without sufficient depth and explanation, whilst keeping other characterisations stationary for improbable periods of time. *cough*MerlinArthur*cough*

boom-moo

[163]Apr 14, 2011
    • level: 75
    ACDiNosey wrote:

I must admit I've never seen the "levels of smirking" she refers to... I could be very rude about it but I'll refrain...

They were "difficult", hun. Nuances might be difficult to catch by the untrained eye

"She is strong and she's accepted who she is... To be that strong and powerful is great" ----> I'll believe it when I see it.

"Morgana has entirely changed in the year away. She's been out of Camelot, and she's probably been hunted and had to hide who she is. So to go from being such a privileged woman to being a hunted fugitive is going to change her. It's going to make her harder, stronger and more committed. A year has also passed with everyone knowing that she is magical, so that's also going to have changed how everybody else views her and how she views herself." ----> This is really interesting, I really hope that Morgana has indeed grown stronger, more powerful and independent. She's always been committed but she needs more initiative and stepping out of Morgause's shadow. I'm afraid the year gap won't let us see everybody's reaction to learning that she is magical.

Interview with Angel Coulby here.
    -Gwen has been looking after the king in the year that Morgana's been away.
    -Gwen's relationship with Arthur becomes more open.

Edited on 04/15/2011 11:46am
    Edited 3 total times.

BrightlyLit

[164]Apr 15, 2011
    • level: 5
    boom-moo wrote:

"She's obviously no longer Morgana's maidservant, but she's been looking after the KING."

Oh my word! Angel must be THRILLED! I remember reading somewhere how much she enjoys best scenes with ASH. (I wonder about the slap though.) Now my curiosity is at top level. Will he be in such bad shape emotionally that he won't care? How will he treat her? Remember, this is the man who killed her father and was about to kill her a couple of times! This is the man who we determined never even acknowledged she was a viable human being by referring to her by name! Will he be lucid enough to know his son is still carrying on with her? Will he hate her for that? Will she still detest HIM?

This brings me so many questions! Wow.

About Lancelot, I think they're going to get rid of him and she either doesn't know or doesn't want to say. Unless they're thinking about another little teaser of the G/L thing to stretch A/G out some more.

boom-moo

[165]Apr 15, 2011
    I think it makes sense that Gwen is the one to take care of Uther. Despite Uther killed her father, Gwen has proven loyal and she is the one Arthur would trust the most around his father in a convulsed time when the kingdom is at risk.

I don't Uther would object at all, she helped actively saving the kingdom so I hope he knows that. And about them being more in the open, hope he knows about it too. Their dynamics is gonna be really interesting indeed.

I'm glad that Santiago is too busy to be around much, I don't see the love triangle returning. Wouldn't make sense after his attitude at the end of 2x04 and wouldn't fit him after having sworn allegiance to Arthur and accepting a Camelot knighthood.

BrightlyLit

[166]Apr 15, 2011

boom-moo wrote:
    I think it makes sense that Gwen is the one to take care of Uther. Despite Uther killed her father, Gwen has proven loyal and she is the one Arthur would trust the most around his father in a convulsed time when the kingdom is at risk. I don't Uther would object at all, she helped actively saving the kingdom so I hope he knows that. And about them being more in the open, hope he knows about it too. Their dynamics is gonna be really interesting indeed.

I'm also thinking Agravaine will be factoring into this whole thing. Looks like Arthur and the Knights will be away a lot in the opening. Maybe she'll have to deal with this uncle thing while they're gone. I know the actor playing Agravaine mentioned doing a lot of filming with Angel. So I bet her dealings with him will be connected with her caring for Uther. I hope her storyline will be more interesting and this may be just the ticket. Can't wait.

boom-moo

[167]Apr 15, 2011
    BrightlyLit wrote:
    I know the actor playing Agravaine mentioned doing a lot of filming with Angel. So I bet her dealings with him will be connected with her caring for Uther. I hope her storyline will be more interesting and this may be just the ticket.
    I think so, I don't see her stepping over the line between being a servant and having a say in kingdom affairs/decisions. She will most likely keep giving Arthur advice but she'll remain humble and aware of her background when it comes to the king and other royals like Agravaine. She indeed needs a storyline so here is hope that interacting more with characters she hardly used to share screen with, let alone with new ones, will provide with an interesting one.

Bradley shares another knightly pic here.

Pics of Bradley, Eoin and Tom Hopper playing footie with Sully FC U12s here.

Filming at Raglan Castle:
    -All the knights were there in the stone courtyard: Lancelot, Percival, Elyan, Leon, Arthur and Merlin. Merlin was laying on the ground, looking very pale, like he was sick or injured.
    -The second unit was filming Morgana in a boat on the lake Morgause.
    -The knights and Merlin seemed to be fighting wyverns (Gwaine shouted that) in the Great Tower. Apparently, there was some sword-fighting as well.
    Source.

Edited on 04/15/2011 2:53pm
    Edited 5 total times.

Connor91

[168]Apr 16, 2011
    • level: 6
    God, I love Morgana's new costume. She looks like Bellatrix Lestrange. I also love the fact that on one of the pictures of her and Morgause on the boat Morgana is holding Morgause (as opposed to the other way around). I am really hoping that Morgana is wearing the trousers this year (so to speak).

merlinholly

[169]Apr 17, 2011
    • level: 1

I'm sooo excited about series 4 it's gunna be good!!! i really hope that gwen (angel) has a bigger/more important role to play this year. Very excited!

Tankim

[170]Apr 18, 2011
    • level: 4

BrightlyLit wrote:
    boom-moo wrote:
    "She's obviously no longer Morgana's maidservant, but she's been looking after the KING." Oh my word! Angel must be THRILLED! I remember reading somewhere how much she enjoys best scenes with ASH. (I wonder about the slap though.) Now my curiosity is at top level. Will he be in such bad shape emotionally that he won't care? How will he treat her? Remember, this is the man who killed her father and was about to kill her a couple of times! This is the man who we determined never even acknowledged she was a viable human being by referring to her by name! Will he be lucid enough to know his son is still carrying on with her? Will he hate her for that? Will she still detest HIM? This brings me so many questions! Wow.

That's what I would like to know, too. Alas I think that it will only be mentioned and we won't get much information on how she took care of him and what happened during that year. When Uther is better, she has no reason to look after him anymore. I also wonder why Gwen as a woman looks after the king. Wouldn't it actually be Gaius', maybe Merlin's and Uther's manservant's job to do that? However, I'm very curious and I hope that I am wrong and that the relationship between Uther and Gwen will be shown to us instead of just being mentioned in one sentence.

My guess is that he doesn't really care since he is broken or maybe sees some things differently. On the other hand, he might be as stubborn as ever just to keep a little control and to cling to a direction in order to not losing it all.

boom-moo

[171]Apr 18, 2011
    Tankim wrote:
    I also wonder why Gwen as a woman looks after the king. Wouldn't it actually be Gaius', maybe Merlin's and Uther's manservant's job to do that?
    I think that Merlin is busy enough with Arthur and Gaius old enough so that either can spend most of the day looking after Uther, and all things considered (Morgana, the one he would have least expected to be a traitor) I think that Gwen is the one Arthur trusts the most around Uther. It'd be convenient plot wise as now that Morgana isn't around, they need to keep Gwen in the picture.
    Edited on 04/18/2011 3:34am

Tankim

[172]Apr 18, 2011
    [QUOTE="boom-moo"]
    Tankim wrote:
    It'd be convenient plot wise as now that Morgana isn't around, they need to keep Gwen in the picture.

Absolutely agree. And a fascinating and interesting plot, if I may add. I had already expected Gwen to help Uther in the series 3 finale, so I'm glad that there will (hopefully) be some kind of a new relationship in the upcoming series.

boom-moo

[173]Apr 18, 2011
    It is interesting indeed. Gwen didn't want Uther to die in 1x11 even if it would depend on her because that would make her a murdered and wouldn't bring her father back. Now that she is in a relationship with Arthur, she is in the conflicting position of on the one hand wishing the king well, if only for Arthur's sake, but on the other hand, her hope for a relationship for Arthur and a better ruler depends upon Arthur taking the crown. Here is hope she is written in as an exciting way as it sounds!

April 18th, 2011 Filming at Puzzlewood, Forest of Dean report here thanks to albion_lyftfaet.

-A set was made to look like a door built into the rock.
    -There was discussion about some kind of statues.
    -The crew referred to Nathaniel Parker (Agravaine) as the new villain.

-Scene with Merlin and Lancelot:
    Lancelot: You shouldn't be here, Merlin. You have no powers.
    Merlin: (walking nearby, gathering firewood) It doesn't matter.
    Lancelot: You're not a warrior, Merlin. I don't want to see you die.
    (Some dialogue missing here)
    Lancelot: We leave in the morning.

-In another scene Merlin and Lancelot (this time in his Camelot cloak) ride through the woods. Merlin bends over in his saddle looking in pain, and Lancelot offers him something (it seemed to be a drink).
    -In yet another scene, Merlin and Lancelot ride together. Merlin was using the last of his energy to tell Lancelot something, before he apparently collapses to the floor, unconscious.

Edited on 04/18/2011 4:59pm
    Edited 2 total times.

fantasymommy

[174]Apr 18, 2011
    • level: 9

I know Gwen is the "Queen of Goodness" but after Uther killed her father , hog slapped her in the face and tried to have her executed, I would think that having her care for Uther would be almost impossible.

"they say love makes you do strange things..."-Merlin

D-syfer

[175]Apr 18, 2011
    • level: 10

boom-moo wrote:
    It is interesting indeed. Gwen didn't want Uther to die in 1x11 even if it would depend on her because that would make her a murdered and wouldn't bring her father back. Now that she is in a relationship with Arthur, she is in the conflicting position of on the one hand wishing the king well, if only for Arthur's sake, but on the other hand, her hope for a relationship for Arthur and a better ruler depends upon Arthur taking the crown. Here is hope she is written in as an exciting way as it sounds!

April 18th, 2011 Filming at Puzzlewood, Forest of Dean report here thanks to albion_lyftfaet. -A set was made to look like a door built into the rock. -There was discussion about some kind of statues. -The crew referred to Nathaniel Parker (Agravaine) as the new villain. -Scene with Merlin and Lancelot: Lancelot: You shouldn't be here, Merlin. You have no powers. Merlin: (walking nearby, gathering firewood) It doesn't matter. Lancelot: You're not a warrior, Merlin. I don't want to see you die. (Some dialogue missing here) Lancelot: We leave in the morning. -In another scene Merlin and Lancelot (this time in his Camelot cloak) ride through the woods. Merlin bends over in his saddle looking in pain, and Lancelot offers him something (it seemed to be a drink). -In yet another scene, Merlin and Lancelot ride together. Merlin was using the last of his energy to tell Lancelot something, before he apparently collapses to the floor, unconscious.

Whow, Merlin looses his powers? :O Interesting. How could he have lost his magic? could Morgana and Morgause have something to do with it? Poor Merlin.

boom-moo

[176]Apr 19, 2011
    Maybe his powers are debilitated for some reason or not strong enough to counterpart whatever they are facing?

I'm glad that it seems to be only Lancelot (between the knighs) who knows about Merlin.

April 18th, 2011 Filming at Puzzlewood, Forest of Dean pics here thanks to albion_lyftfaet.

boom-moo wrote:
    Pics of Bradley, Eoin and Tom Hopper playing footie with Sully FC U12s here.
    Report here.

-April 13th-15th Filming at Raglan Castle report here, here and here thanks to archaeologist_d. Full collection here.

April 13th:
    -A boat was pulled into the moat.
    April 14th:
    -All the knights were there in the stone courtyard. Lancelot, Percival, Elyan, Leon, Arthur and Merlin.
    -Merlin was laying on the ground (in the stone courtyard), looking very pale, like he was sick or injured. Arthur, Lancelot and Leon are talking about what to do. They say something about needing to get Merlin to Gaius but that the citadel was a day away. Lancelot said something about a quest but Arthur seemed surprised that they were on a quest (however, they were smiling when they were rehearsing this scene so it could have been a joke among the actors). All through this scene, Merlin wasn't saying anything, just lying here. Lancelot took care of him for a moment and then Percival was with him. In the background, Gwaine and Elyan were getting horses ready.
    -They also did a photoshoot of the knights (link below).
    -Morgana was in the boat on the lake with a woman that was meant to be Morgause. Seems like Raglan is gonna stand as the Isle of the Blessed again.
    April 15th:
    -They were in the Great Tower jabbing into the air as they were fighting wyverns and Gwaine yelled out (once the non-existent creatures had left) that that was how he did it (chasing them away). Then Arthur said to keep moving.

-April 14th, 2011 Photoshoot at Raglan Castle pics here thanks to archaeologist_d.

-April 21st, 2011 Building the sets at Pierrefonds pics here thanks to archaeologist_d.

boom-moo wrote:
    -April 13th-15th Filming at Raglan Castle report here and here thanks to archaeologist_d. Full collection here.
    New pictures and information added to the entry quoted.
    Edited on 04/26/2011 11:23am
    Edited 10 total times.

Asesia

[177]Apr 26, 2011
    Wow! At stand in Morgause's face looking all scared up. That's the side she hit the pillar on isn't it? Unless the stand in's face is actually like that than oops :S.
    Also I adore katie's costume. And green eye shadow, she is well and truly evil. And in support of a point I made previously, the differences between the two costumes. Morgana's is elegant whilst Morgause's look pretty warn. And morgana looks like she is just wearing a black cloak over what appears to be a green dress?

Also, morgana has her arm around Morgause again so it must be part of the scene! Hopefully this means Morgana has taken the lead control. I really curious to see what is happening with Morgause.

So many questions!

boom-moo

[178]Apr 26, 2011
    New pictures, videos and information has been added to this entry:

-April 13th-15th Filming at Raglan Castle report and pics here, here and here thanks to archaeologist_d. Full collection here. Videos here, here, here and here.

April 13th:
    -A boat was pulled into the moat.
    April 14th:
    -All the knights were there in the stone courtyard. Lancelot, Percival, Elyan, Leon, Arthur and Merlin.
    -Merlin was laying on the ground (in the stone courtyard), looking very pale, like he was sick or injured. Arthur, Lancelot and Leon are talking about what to do. They say something about needing to get Merlin to Gaius but that the citadel was a day away. Lancelot said something about a quest but Arthur seemed surprised that they were on a quest (however, they were smiling when they were rehearsing this scene so it could have been a joke among the actors). All through this scene, Merlin wasn't saying anything, just lying here. Lancelot took care of him for a moment and then Percival was with him. In the background, Gwaine and Elyan were getting horses ready.
    -At some point Percival gets injured too.
    -TThey also did a photoshoot of the knights (link below).
    -Morgana was in the boat on the lake with a woman that was meant to be Morgause. Seems like Raglan is gonna stand as the Isle of the Blessed again.
    April 15th:
    -They were in the Great Tower jabbing into the air as they were fighting wyverns and Gwaine yelled out (once the non-existent creatures had left) that that was how he did it (chasing them away). Then Arthur said to keep moving.
    -Apparently, there was some sword-fighting too.

-April 26th Filming at Pierrefonds report and pics here and here thanks to yavannauk.

-Most of the filming took place in the Great Hall.
    -All the main/regular cast except one were around. So was Nathaniel Parker.
    -Gwen was wearing a new purple and white dress.
    -Uther has longer hair and was wearing a black shirt.

Morgana will be back to Camelot in one of the first three episodes of series 4. She'll get into the castle using a small door on the right side of the castle, below the main wall Source.

Asa Butterfield (Mordred) has been asked in his Twitter if he'll be in Merlin series 4. All he replied was "hopefully" Source.

Edited on 04/27/2011 1:58am
    Edited 8 total times.

Tankim

[179]Apr 27, 2011

Thanks for the news. Interesting - Uther's longer hair might show his kind of self-abandonment (if he is still in a certain mental state of depression). But no matter what, in *Merlin* they are all clean-shaved, even if they are on the run and spend the nights in a cave :-D

boom-moo

[180]Apr 27, 2011
    Tankim wrote:
    Interesting - Uther's longer hair might show his kind of self-abandonment (if he is still in a certain mental state of depression).
    Which I rather fancy

Tankim wrote:
    But no matter what, in *Merlin* they are all clean-shaved, even if they are on the run and spend the nights in a cave :-D
    Lol yeah, all but Leon and Gwaine. Still they are rather neatly kept, especially Leon's. There must be a fine barber in Camelot... and another one wandering the woods

-April 26th Filming at Pierrefonds video here thanks to Zitounet.

-April 26th Filming at Pierrefonds pictures here thanks to SerieMerlin.

-April 27th Filming at Pierrefonds pics here, here, here, here and here thanks to plumedefee.

Edited on 04/28/2011 12:57am
    Edited 6 total times.