Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

Series 5 Speculations Without Spoilers

boom-moo

[1]Dec 26, 2011
    • level: 75

This thread is to post your Speculations on series 5. Spoilers are not allowed.

This is the place to talk about what you think might happen, what direction the show might take and how storylines might evolve based on the info we have from the previous seasons.

We all probably want different things to happen but that is beside the point.

Thank you

Edited on 12/27/2011 12:50am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Wonder_

[3]Dec 27, 2011
    • level: 4

Some of the things I think we might see in Series 5:

Probably no revelation that Morgana was behind the Gwen/Lancelot thing. If they weren't going to reveal it by the end of S4 I don't think it'll be in S5, which is going to be a separate story arc after all.

More characters from the legends. Gareth, Elaine (any one of the three lol) or Pellinore, maybe?

Mordred returning and then telling Morgana that Merlin's Emrys, so her plans will be more interesting. Not entirely sure about the likelihood of this, but I'd like it to happen.

Arthur finds out about Merlin's magic. Unless there's a Series 6 I can't see them dragging it out much longer.

PenguinSuzie

[4]Dec 27, 2011
    • level: 10

It does seem unlikely that they will bring up the enchantment again, but they'll surely want to eventually clear Lancelot's name and have Arthur thinking Gwen is perfect again. So it might be randomly resolved. Though they might just forget about it.

I'd like to see Merlin promoted. I wonder if his upgraded clothes were just for the occasion or if it means he was promoted off screen and will already be an advisor or something at the start of S5. If it was off screen, I hope there's some deleted scene for it.

It does seem a strong possibility that Mordred will appear. Though I don't know if it would be next year, or even with the same actor. It would be a shame to cast someone else.

I wonder if we'll get to see Gwen adjusting to being the queen. Or if she's already an expert by S5 if-

How likely do you think another year gap will be?

Sorry if this is rather random or not the place for this.

Edited on 12/27/2011 12:53am
    Edited 2 total times.

boom-moo

[5]Dec 27, 2011
    I think that Lancelot's name is gonna be cleared and I don't see that happening without the whole truth about 4x09 being revealed.
    Edited on 12/27/2011 12:51am

Wonder_

[6]Dec 27, 2011

PenguinSuzie wrote:

I'd like to see Merlin promoted. I wonder if his upgraded clothes were just for the occasion or if it means he was promoted off screen and will already be an advisor or something at the start of S5. If it was off screen, I hope there's some deleted scene for it.

Oh good point, there might have been a deleted scene. Yes, now that Agravaine's gone Merlin would probably do better as Arthur's 'right-hand man'.

:
    How likely do you think another year gap will be?

I think it's quite possible, as they've done it twice now. They might use it if they want to cast a different actor for Mordred/Gwen to have adjusted already/Morgana to have got over her defeat and planning things again.

boom-moo

[7]Dec 27, 2011
    I want Mordred back but I'm not sure about Morgana allying with yet another baddie for a whole season. At least in this case she won't have the chance to do inside jobs like she did with Agravaine (or Morgause with Morgana for that matter) so the dynamics might be different after all.
    Edited on 12/27/2011 1:39am

jaqtkd

[8]Dec 27, 2011
    • level: 6

As series 4 focused so much on the Arwenalot triangle, I believe that this will now pave the way for series 5 to be mostly about the birth of Albion and how all the characters fit into that. Merlin is the one who's been the furthest away from his destined role and so this last(?) series needs to be about him becoming Arthur's true friend/advisor/court sorcerer

I'd love to see Mordred back (hopefully Asa will be available) but it they would want that to be timed perfectly because, as soon as he meets up with Morgana, Merlin will be instantly outed as Emrys.

I think there was already a time jump between the final confrontation with Morgana and the coronation scene. As we've said before, there would have needed to have been a wedding first, plus Merlin's probably change in status. I'm not sure how long that might be but, any jump in time as far as what Morgana's been up to, etc, could be dealt with by that gap of up to six months?

Yes, I would like the bracelet issue to be addressed, along with many other things that have obviously been set up throughout the last four series but, I'm confident that most of the threads will be neatly tied, especially as TPTB knew they had a fifth series during most of the time they were working on series 4.

pcdsa

[9]Dec 27, 2011
    • level: 12
    I too want A/G betrayal sorted out so that Arthur and Guinevere both know the truth.

After wanting the reveal for so long, it has to happen in S5. Hopefully at the beginning and a whole episode dedicated to it (that is why I was not upset about the reveal not happening at the end of S4 as too much was happening to give it the time it deserves). Then we can see how Arthur deals with Merlin and magic for the rest of the series.

I also want Arthur to be more independent of Merlin, though it seems unlikely as Merlin is his great advisor. But I enjoy it more when Arthur makes his own decisions which he did a few times in S4.

i would like Arthur welcome the Druids and magic openly and Morgana sees this and has some regrets. I think they have already had Sir Pelinore in the Excalibur episode. Not sure if we need more knights when the presents ones are underused.

zeencat

[10]Dec 27, 2011
    • level: 10
    I would like Arthur to witness magic being used for good in front of him. I don't mean from Merlin in particular although I really want to see the reveal but the series has to build to it. As Colin has said in previous interviews, Merlin has to be 100% sure that when he reveals his true identity that Arthur will accept him. I noticed how uncomfortable Merlin seemed when Agravaine said that they were really a like. How Merlin had managed to deceive the King for so long and that they were more a like than Merlin thought. For Merlin to reveal himself Arthur is going to have to understand fully why Merlin hide himself for so long as well as understand all that he has done for him.

Morgana mentioned that even Emry's couldn't save Arthur now. I would like Arthur to find out more about Emry's in the next season - I don't particularly mean as in finding out that Merlin is Emry's but finding out more about Emry's in terms of the Druids legends. I think that when Arthur understands fully who Emry's is and the role he has had to play in the past as well as the future then I think he will accept that magic can be used for good. After this I think he will learn that Merlin is Emry's.

telytubie

[11]Dec 28, 2011
    • level: 3

jaqtkd wrote:
    I think there was already a time jump between the final confrontation with Morgana and the coronation scene. As we've said before, there would have needed to have been a wedding first, plus Merlin's probably change in status. I'm not sure how long that might be but, any jump in time as far as what Morgana's been up to, etc, could be dealt with by that gap of up to six months?

But surely Morgana couldn't have been wandering the wood critically injured for that long?

It shouldn't be hard to clear Lancelot if people know he's a shade, Arthur's likely to believe Gaius if not Merlin. But that won't clear Gwen completely. TPTB might want to keep the enchantment unresolve to cast a shadow over their relationship now that the lengendary 'affair' has been dealed with. I've no idea what TPTB will do with Queen Gwen.

I really hope we won't have another season of smirking gloating Morgana causing weekly trouble..... unlike the past finales, this time she's on her own and the blow of defeat, dying and then saved by a little white dragon should have some significant psychological impact one way or the other. I hope to at least see her attitude change in some way, or have an epihany that having magical power don't make her powerful!

I don't even dare to think Aithusa'd be a baddie, it'll mean Kilgarrah's been totally wrong and 4x04 will end up to mean nothing. But I do think Aithusa may cause some problems for both Merlin and Kilgarrah, not for being bad but rather for being too good and innocent.... what do you think will happen when Kilgarrah finds out Aithusa's saved Morgana? Merlin probably will have to rescue the poor little dragon from Kilgarrah 's wrath

As for Mordred, I'm not sure he'll tell Morgana outright who Emrys is...... he's had many opportunities to give away Merlin secret but he didn't and he's shown in the past to be very adept in manipulating people, especially Morgana. I think it'll all depend on his agenda. And there's the fact that he knew about the prophecy. If it's important to him he may not want to risk Morgana killing Merlin prematurely and jeopardize the prophecy.

Edited on 12/28/2011 4:56am

PendragonLady

[12]Dec 28, 2011

- the reveal

- Merlin becoming Arthur's advisor

- a united Albion with Arthur as High King and Merlin as Court Sorceror

I mean, come on! How much longer can the "no reveal" be dragged out? The longer it takes, the less likely that I think we'd see Arthur and Merlin completely fulfill their destinies. They've started on the path, true, but the reveal lack is still holding them back.

pcdsa

[13]Dec 28, 2011
    • level: 12
    They always planned for a five series show, so the reveal must happen in S5. If Modred and Morgana do meet up, then I'm sure that he will tell her about Merlin. They both hate him. hope it happens after the reveal to Arthur. Arthur has to be the first to know.

I too would like to see a united albion, it seems the next logical step in the story.

Bridgess91

[14]Dec 28, 2011
    • level: 8
    I don't think they will bring mordred soon if they want to do more than 5 seasons because surely, he'll tell morgana about merlin\emrys and then, Arthur will discover the true power of his servant. As for Aithusa bringing Morgana back to life, the young dragon probably knows something about her that we don't. It would be a nice way to bring up the "not very known" legend of Morgana who is destined to be Queen of Avalon.

boom-moo

[15]Dec 28, 2011
    I think we are gonna hear about King Lot, he's been mentioned twice to be random namedropping. I guess we'll know why he hates the Pendragons. King Odin does too, so Arthur is not gonna have it easy uniting Albion. Queen Annis might be on his side though.

jaqtkd

[16]Dec 28, 2011

Wasn't Lot Gwaine's father?

boom-moo

[17]Dec 28, 2011
    jaqtkd wrote:

Wasn't Lot Gwaine's father?

We don't know what Gwaine's father was called. He was a noble serving King Caerleon.

jaqtkd

[18]Dec 28, 2011

Sorry, I meant in legend - should have been more clear ...

He is almost always portrayed as the son of Arthur's sister Morgause (or Anna) and King Lot of Orkney and Lothian, and his brothers are Agravain, Gaheris, Gareth, and Mordred. In some works he has sisters as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gawain

I know the show often ignores established family but I just wondered ... speculations, you know?

Edited on 12/28/2011 2:43pm

legend-dreamer

[19]Dec 28, 2011
    • level: 13
    Hmm....could be interesting. I agree that Lot's name being mentioned seems to hint he may be the main protagonist next series. When Uther died in the legends, Lot was one of the kings who tried to lay claim to the throne. He felt his was the most legitimate claim as he was married to Uther's daughter. To Lot and most of the other kings Arthur was just a boy, a bastard son of unproven lineage, and unproven in battle.

@jaqtkd Maybe there is more fabrication to Gwaine's story than we have been told. A good speculation. Maybe he is actually the son of a king? Could make for an interesting story.

boom-moo

[20]Dec 28, 2011
    jaqtkd wrote:

Sorry, I meant in legend - should have been more clear ...

Sorry in turn. I'm afraid that I don't know about the legend.

legend-dreamer wrote:
    @jaqtkd Maybe there is more fabrication to Gwaine's story than we have been told. A good speculation. Maybe he is actually the son of a king? Could make for an interesting story.
    I don't think he lied to Merlin about it, it took him a while to be open about his real reasons to despise royalty and telling the real story wouldn't have made much difference.

Whatever the case I hope that Lot doesn't ally with Morgana.