Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

Series 5 Speculations Without Spoilers

Hiflying

[41]Jan 26, 2012
    • level: 3
    boom-moo wrote:
    Hiflying wrote:
    We've already had glimpses of how she will be as queen, like when she made Aggravaine (spelling?) open the gates in the ghost episode.
    She's always been like that so now that she is queen that trait of speaking out of turn (so to speak) in behalf of others wouldn't make much difference with her former "peasant" self. She already did in 1x10 defending Hunith's generous offer of food vs a spoilt Arthur.

That's true. I meant now she's queen she'll have a legitimate voice on the council or whatever it is and have the right to make those kinds of decisions like in the ghost episode without speaking out of turn. So hopefully now the writers will develop that side of her even more and make her a strong leader in her own right alongside Arthur.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

boom-moo

[42]Jan 26, 2012
    • level: 75
    As I see it, it can be a double-edged sword though. A too strong and elocuent Gwen might put Arthur in the shadow (moral compassing 2.0 of sorts). He's already stated that he likes a woman with a voice, an opinion and whom he can consult matters of state with so I'm afraid that if that side of her is overemphasized it migth go in detriment of Arthur's character getting growth. I don't think she needs to be a strong leader unless there's need for that (Arthur being absent for example).

Hiflying

[43]Jan 26, 2012
    I agree totally. I guess "strong leader" was too strong a term. There's no doubt Arthur has to be the boss. I would just like to see her come into her own now and be on equal status with the council in terms of decision making ect. Not take over as ruler or anything of course, unless Arthur is away as you said.

boom-moo

[44]Jan 26, 2012
    Maybe she should a mistake. Has she made any?

Hiflying

[45]Jan 27, 2012

You mean besides kissing Lancelot and getting banished? =) Though to be fair that wasn't really her fault. I can't think of any real mistakes she's made, unless leading Morgause to where Arthur was because she was dumb enough to drink that stuff Morganagave her counts.

Edited on 01/27/2012 2:26pm

boom-moo

[46]Jan 27, 2012
    That doesn't count as a mistake on my book since she was under the influence of the bracelet. It could be interesting having her make a decision that turns out being unfortunate. I don't think she's found herself in that situation so far.

Hiflying

[47]Jan 27, 2012
    I was editing. I submitted by mistake =)

boom-moo

[48]Jan 27, 2012
    Hiflying wrote:

I can't think of any real mistakes she's made, unless leading Morgause to where Arthur was because she was dumb enough to drink that stuff Morganagave her counts.

Ah yes, I forgot about that but well, she was tricked. What I'd like to see is for her to consciously make a decision that turns up not being the most adecuate one for whatever reason. I guess it'll be challenging for her since I don't think she's even been there (that we know of). I don't know, I'd like to see Gwen's character explored on her own, not as a friend to Merlin or a love interest to Arthur.

Hiflying

[49]Jan 27, 2012
    When I first read your post I was like NO Gwen has to prove an ex-servant can be a great queen! But then I thought about it and it would only be natural for her to make mistakes, after all Arthur did when killed that guy and nearly started a war. And then important people could start telling Arthur that it proves she shouldn't be queen and create some interesting situations, as well as develop her character. I would like her to prove herself an amazing queen in the end though.

boom-moo

[50]Jan 27, 2012
    I've no doubt she is gonna be written as perfectly fit for the role but flawless people aren't interesting. That's why I'd like to see her struggle a bit. It's the only kind of storyline I can think of that would show her in a different new way.

Hiflying

[51]Jan 27, 2012
    That's very true. Speaking of stong queens, do you think Annis will reapear in the next season? I think it would be interesting if the "fight against magic" is upscaled to a more international level. That could be how Arthur unites the people to create Albion if the five(?) countries have this huge war and then he makes peace. Sorry if someone's already said this, I only skimmed the other posts before.

boom-moo

[52]Jan 27, 2012
    I agree Queen Annis would be someone nice having back. I think she would side with Arthur and should be an interesting alliance. We don't know where she stands when it comes to magic though (do we?)

Hiflying

[53]Jan 27, 2012
    She probably doesn't hate it since she was ok with Morgana using magic to cheat against Arthur. But her opinion could have changed at the end of the episode or at least she would prefer to help Arthur over Morgana.

Hiflying

[54]Jan 27, 2012
    If Morgana represented magic and Arthur non magic I mean.

boom-moo

[55]Jan 27, 2012
    Hiflying wrote:
    She probably doesn't hate it since she was ok with Morgana using magic to cheat against Arthur.
    True, I forgot about that.

Please, do not double post as it goes against the site rules. Use the drop down menu at the bottom of every post to edit your entries if need be. Thank you

Hiflying

[56]Jan 27, 2012
    Sorry, didn't know.

Scop

[57]Jan 28, 2012
    • level: 4

I hope we get to see Gwen struggle with the transition from servant to queen and they don't time jump over it.

One of the good parts about Gwen being queen is that they can do more questing episodes because Arthur's got someone he can safely leave the kingdom to while he's away.

I'd like to see what would happen with another witch trial in Camelot where the accused did nothing of evil intent.

Edited on 01/28/2012 7:14am

boom-moo

[58]Jan 28, 2012
    Scop wrote:

I hope we get to see Gwen struggle with the transition from servant to queen

What kind of struggles could that transition entail to you? I see her feeling uncomfortable living in the castle, having all her needs covered and being tended to (I see her trying to find something useful to do to feel good with herself) but other than that I think she is ready to be Queen.

Scop wrote:

One of the good parts about Gwen being queen is that they can do more questing episodes because Arthur's got someone he can safely leave the kingdom to while he's away.

Well, I wouldn't say that leaving Gwen in charge of the kingdom would be safe. If they are to be invaded, there's little she could do as she doesn't have battle skills. She could perfectly run the kingdom when it comes to every day matters but I don't think it'd be safe for the kingdom having the king away for days.

Scop wrote:

I'd like to see what would happen with another witch trial in Camelot where the accused did nothing of evil intent.

That'd be interesting if Arthur and Gwen's opinions clash.

Discussion on Gwen character has been moved to the Gwen thread

Edited on 01/28/2012 12:25pm

Scop

[59]Jan 29, 2012
    • level: 4

Would be interesting to see Merlin's reaction to such a situation.