Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

Series 5 Speculations Without Spoilers

AlisonMoriart

[61]Feb 5, 2012
    • level: 1

I don't think there will be a reveal about the Gwen Lancelot Bracelet enchantment. I think the writers will use Arthur's doubts to further test his relationship with Gwen in series 5 (the course of true love never does run smooth) although I think it is part of Arthur's nature to be forgiving (unlike his father) and I don't think he needs proof of Gwen's enchantment to forgive her for her indiscretion with Lancelot.

If it is the last series, there must be an accidental reveal of Merlin's magic to Arthur and I think it will bring a conflict between them that will be resolved later. Arthur will not take it lightly that he was deceived by Merlin and was the last to know about his magical powers. I think it likely that Gwen will discover Merlin's secret first.

I think there will be a big magical duel between Morgana and Merlin with Merlin being victorious (of course) and this will reassure Arthur that although magic can corrupt and be used for evil (as in Morgana's case), in the hands of someone good and pure of heart like Merlin, it can also be used as a force for good.

Maybe the writers will take a big departure from the Arthurian legend and give Arthur and Gwen a child. This could introduce the idea that Arthur is conflicted as whilst delighted at the prospect of an heir, he is also fearful for Gwen's safety as he is reminded of his own mother's death in childbirth.

Just a few ideas that may come into the series. On the subject of the Knights, might we finally meet Sir Gallahad? Lancelot's departure has left a hole which could be filled by the introduction of the most gallant knight in the Arthurian legend of old.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Scop

[62]Feb 7, 2012
    • level: 4

Great idea, would love to see Sir Galahad.

I don't think Mordred is going to be the big baddy of Series 5. Mordred is suppose to be Arthur's downfall and we haven't even gotten close to forming Albion yet (which is what I'd hope they'd go into if the show gets picked up beyond Series 5)

We'll probably see more of Old Merlin, and Arthur might be trusting the older version, but I'd hate to loose young Merlin in the process.

Also, I'd like to know what other things are hidden in the secret magic library that Merlin discovered in Goblin's Gold

Edited on 02/27/2012 10:32am
    Edited 2 total times.

Melissa2205

[63]Feb 29, 2012
    • level: 1

I really would like to see them explore the ladies more like with Gwen being a new queen, how will she handle it?Will she doubt herself, will the people doubt her love her or not really acknowledge her as their queen. Will she be involved in the whole politics of Camelot, will she understand it or learn as she progresses as queen. I really don't want a baby story line because it will only further marginalize Gwens character and stick her further in the background. A discussion on a potential heir would be nice but not a baby and as for Morgana I want her to be less one dimensional and more assertive I want her motivations to be explored more because right now she just isn't cutting it as a villain. She needs more multifaceted layers to add more to her character and they seriously need to give her more to do apart from trying to kill Arthur and now Emrys like she is the last of her kind, the priestess of the old religion why not focus on trying to influence magical people rather than turning them against her since all she's after is the throne. It would also be nice to have more female legendary characters. I also always wondered what happened to Gwen and Morgana's mother I know Morgana's mother is named Vivienne but I don't think they ever said what happened to her not sure if she's dead or not. Also Gwen's mother was mentioned once as working as a maid in sir Leon's home but not actually sure if she's been confirmed as dead or not. I remember Morgana saying something about her being an orphan when her father was murdered so that might confirm that she's actually dead but not sure. It would be nice to explore some of these relationships in series 5. Also the whole Merlin's magic thing needs to be revealed already we will never truly know the extent of Arthur's support for Merlin if the most important thing in Merlin's life isn't revealed. Letting Merlin interact with more magical people would be nice since he is supposed to be the greatest wizard.

Scop

[64]Feb 29, 2012

Other stuff: Arthur maybe trying to find out what this "Emrys" thing is that Morgana said was protecting him. I can see him going to the druids and asking them... with Merlin right there, of course.

Also, if they do do a reveal... Camelot probably has a hefty supply of Magical objects in the vaults. This probably isn't going to happen, but it would be nice if Arthur would look at Merlin and say "Here, have fun". Though there could be a bigger magical bad out there that they have to protect Camelot/Albion from and Arthur needs Merlin to figure out all this stuff to combat it. Probably further out than Series 5 though.

I'd also like to see the build up of those that are awaiting to support Arthur once he accepts magic. We have the Catha (and Gilly I suppose)

Edited on 03/02/2012 8:02am
    Edited 2 total times.

lilyflower1345

[65]Mar 14, 2012
    • level: 3

Scop wrote:

Other stuff: Arthur maybe trying to find out what this "Emrys" thing is that Morgana said was protecting him. I can see him going to the druids and asking them... with Merlin right there, of course.

Also, if they do do a reveal... Camelot probably has a hefty supply of Magical objects in the vaults. This probably isn't going to happen, but it would be nice if Arthur would look at Merlin and say "Here, have fun". Though there could be a bigger magical bad out there that they have to protect Camelot/Albion from and Arthur needs Merlin to figure out all this stuff to combat it. Probably further out than Series 5 though.

I'd also like to see the build up of those that are awaiting to support Arthur once he accepts magic. We have the Catha (and Gilly I suppose)

I would love to see Arthur trying to figure out who Emrys is. I hope he gets some more information about Emrys in season 5. I would love for Arthur to learn about Emrys, and know how powerful he is and then discover that Merlin is Emrys. It would be fun to see him searching for who Emrys is, with Merlin most likely sabotaging his efforts all along the way

It would be fun to see more of those with magic who are waiting to support Arthur. I wonder if they'd bring them all back for the series finale (which is kind of sad to think about) I'm imagining some big huge final battle, where Arthur has found out about Merlin's magic. And they need more magic users to help fight, so they bring in people like the Catha and Gilly.

Scop

[66]Mar 16, 2012

Agreeing with you on both counts. Arthur enlisting Merlin's help to find this Emrys that Morgana was talking about is big on my wish list for season five. A bit like Methos looking for Methos in the old Highlander series.

Like to see how things are going with the druids as well, since several of them know who Emrys is.I can see some rather confused druids when Arthur asks them about who Emrys is while Emrys is standing right there, standing behind Arthur, shaking his head and mouthing "NO!"

I think the worst way for Arthur to find out about Merlin at this point would be to catch him talking to the dragon.

Edited on 03/16/2012 11:13am

lilyflower1345

[67]Mar 16, 2012
    • level: 3

That's fun to picture Arthur questioning the druids and Merlin trying to stop them from saying anything. I'd like to see both Arthur and Merlin have more interaction with the druids. It'd be fun to see more magic users be in awe of Merlin like how the Catha was.

And yeah, I hope they don't do the reveal with Arthur catching Merlin talking to the dragon. That would feel a little bit lame to me. I've always hoped that the reveal would happen through Arthur learning more about Emrys and getting suspicious. Not necessarily of Merlin, because I think he trusts him so much he's unlikely to suspect Merlin as having magic. But suspicious of all the coincidences and luck and realize that magic is being used to help Camelot. I'd like to see Arthur start to figure some things out and then discover Merlin has magic. It is frustrating to have Arthur be in the dark almost all the time.

Scop

[68]Mar 20, 2012

I always thought it would be fun if Arthur has though Merlin has been dabbling in magic without much luck since "The Mark of Nimueh" and just hasn't said anything because if it's on the table, he'd have to deal with it. And you know how it is when some people areprejudicedagainst a group of people, but they have a friend who belongs to that group, but everything they about that group of people never includes their friend in their mind.

So Arthur would have this "Yeah, sure, magic is evil, but that doesn't include Gaius and Merlin, they're not evil. They just do magic, but it's not the evil kind". Uthur had that going on big time with Gaius, so he could have easily,subconsciouslypassed that down to Arthur. It's just the way Arthur is starting to trust Merlin when he's "sensing" things is starting to get really cool! It's beensporadic, like in Athiusa, but it's there

And he's starting to trust that something's protecting him that's not quite mundane as well. That brings us to the last episode when he goes running to meet Morgana, knowing he doesn't have anything that can match Morgana's magic but still trusting that something's going to happen because... well, it's been happening. And in that same scene, Morgana confirms that, yeah, something's been protecting Arthur. I just don't think he figured out it's Merlin yet.

It should be a trip though the first time Arthur sees someone bow down to Merlin in full fielty and says "Great One"