Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

Series 5 spoilers thread

KateMarcs

[21]Mar 3, 2012
    • level: 1

when can we expect the next episode

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

boom-moo

[22]Mar 3, 2012
    • level: 75
    KateMarcs wrote:

when can we expect the next episode

Spoilers only here, please. Questions over at the Q&A thread, thank you

If the show follows its usual schedule, it should be around mid September the sooner.

-Stephen McCole to play a role in series 5 Source.

-Morgana is growing into a stronger and more committed enemy than ever before. The stakes are becoming higher now that Arthur is king and the future of Albion is being created, there's more for Merlin to fight for and more for him to protect so as he gets older, he's tested as a character because everything in the world becomes more serious.
    -After the finale showed the white dragon Aithusa saving an injured Morgana, there's been some debate on whether the creators are drawing on the legend of the red dragon (representing Camelot) kills the white dragon (symbolising the Saxons) and the writers are clearly satisfied with the reaction: "We hoped it was a nice tease..." Source.

Series 5 might the last for Katie McGrath Source.

-At the lip of the quarry so that we got a brilliant view of the action. Will be back tomorrow lunchtime to see the horses! Source And previous twits from the same day:
    -"Spent several hours watching Bradley and Colin filming a couple of scenes".
    -"Today I will be mostly hanging about in a quarry watching men in fur and leather beat the crap out of each other".

-Several hours spent watching a scene being filmed (…) However not allowed to share any pictures as they are desperate not to have any spoilers leaked Source.

Edited on 03/13/2012 2:52pm
    Edited 5 total times.

jane9115

[23]Mar 13, 2012
    • level: 5

boom-moo wrote:
    Series 5 might the last for Katie McGrath
    I'm so confused. So is there going to be more than 5 seasons?

boom-moo

[24]Mar 14, 2012
    jane9115 wrote:

boom-moo wrote:
    Series 5 might the last for Katie McGrath
    I'm so confused. So is there going to be more than 5 seasons?

Even though TPTB have stated all along that their plan was for the show to run for 5 season, in recent interviews they've left an open door towards expanding their initial project, but they've never been too clear about it (plus it wouldn't depend entirely on them).

They way Katie's agency is worded becomes confusing. It might as well be that it is Katie's last season as it is the show's last season or that it is Katie's last season even if the show gets expaned beyond that.

I personally think that it is either the former or that they'll edit the content to include Katie if the show gets picked up for more seasons. Actually, more about it in the article that follows:

-Series 5 will focus on Merlin's development as well as Arthur as the king of the Round Table.
    -Merlin has gone from reluctantly killing enemies to protect the king to becoming a much more focused, powerful and stronger wizard (as killing Agravaine and his attempt on Morgana's life prove) as he grows into the sorcerer of legend. Series 5 will take him on that journey with all the dangers and temptations that it brings. With Arthur being King and Albion already in the making there'll be more for Merlin to fight for and to protect.
    -Morgana will be stronger and more committed than ever.
    -They'll play with the idea of the two battling dragons, the red one and the white one, with their own twist.
    -An evil character will return.
    -Mordred has a job to do at the end of the story.
    -The opening double parter will be a jump ahead in time and it'll be surprising to realize where all the characters are.
    -Gwen will have a more prominent role as Arthur's confidant.
    -No love interest for Merlin this season.
    -"The length of Merlin is all about whether the audience are enjoying it. If they still enjoy the series we'll keep making it, but we will absolutely wrap it up properly when it does come to an end".Source.

Edited on 03/14/2012 9:30am

lilyflower1345

[25]Mar 14, 2012
    • level: 3

boom-moo wrote:

-The opening double parter will be a jump ahead in time and it'll be surprising to realize where all the characters are.

I wonder what they're referring to here. I had kind of already assumed that they'd skip a year like they did before. Hard to tell if they're just hinting at something similar or they mean more than that. I wonder if one of the surprises will Merlin as a royal adviser. I'd love to see Merlin get some recognition, but having him no longer Arthur's servant would take some getting used to.

boom-moo wrote:

-"The length of Merlin is all about whether the audience are enjoying it. If they still enjoy the series we'll keep making it, but we will absolutely wrap it up properly when it does come to an end".Source.

I hope this hint of wrapping it up properly means they'll do the magic reveal. Some of the things they've said before hints that they won't do a magic reveal. I know I'd be extremely disappointed if we don't get that. I'm glad to see this, this gives me more hope on that front

boom-moo

[26]Mar 14, 2012
    lilyflower1345 wrote:

I wonder what they're referring to here.

I hope they mean we are gonna see the round table put to good use. Although there hasn't been any reference to the knights yet.

lilyflower1345 wrote:
    I hope this hint of wrapping it up properly means they'll do the magic reveal. Some of the things they've said before hints that they won't do a magic reveal. I know I'd be extremely disappointed if we don't get that. I'm glad to see this, this gives me more hope on that front
    I am one of the few people who could do without the magic reveal (mostly because I wouldn't like a rushed up one) so whatever they plan to do, at least I'm pleased they are at least gonna think it over.

lilyflower1345

[27]Mar 14, 2012

I'd love it if one of the surprises has to do with the Round Table. I loved that part in season 3 and it would be really fun to see it come back again. It would be cool if one of the surprises is Arthur already using the Round Table and having his trusted knights as his most trusted council. In season 4 his councilors were seemed to mostly be random people. It'd be fun if we see him having people we know as councilors. And it would make sense for him to try and create a council of people he trusts after being betrayed by Agravaine.

I also wonder if one of the surprises could be something to do with Gwen, maybe a surprise that Gwen has fit right into her role as queen? Though I'm not sure if this would be considered a surprise or not. It's hard to tell what they mean from the spoilers sometimes.

boom-moo

[28]Mar 14, 2012
    lilyflower1345 wrote:

And it would make sense for him to try and create a council of people he trusts after being betrayed by Agravaine.

Exactly. He needs swords as much as he needs minds. I'd love to see Geoffrey as one.

lilyflower1345 wrote:

I also wonder if one of the surprises could be something to do with Gwen, maybe a surprise that Gwen has fit right into her role as queen? Though I'm not sure if this would be considered a surprise or not. It's hard to tell what they mean from the spoilers sometimes.

I guess that's exactly what they mean. They make clear that she is the Queen of Camelot and Arthur's confidant, so I guess she is equally loved, trusted and respected by her people and her husband.

Aving

[29]Mar 15, 2012
    • level: 2

So it means that Merlin will now kill more often and less reluctantly?

Those spoilers don't sound very promising. What has become of 'in their younger years', 'before they were famous' and 'the show will be over when Arthur is King'? I thought it wasn't supposed to be about the legend but the work towards it. Obviously, the complete legend will be dealt with even just within this season, maybe except for Arthur's death depending on wether the show will get a sixth season or not.

Scop

[30]Mar 15, 2012
    • level: 4

I'm wondering if they plan on a bigger time jump just for part of the opener (like Morgana's dream) and then come back to the normal year jump they usually make. I REALLY hope they don't jump past the reveal on apermanentbasis, that would just be toocrewlto us fans!!!

Curious about:

Will Arthur be looking for the dragon?

Will Arthur be looking for Emerys?

How are the Druids (who know who Merlin is) getting along and are they showing up in Camelot to bug Merlin?

Gwen's going to be settled in as queen by that time, so how's she getting along with her servant? (Not a love interest for Merlin,apparently)

That whole white dragon and Morgana thing of course

Are the Saxons on their way?

How is Arthur getting along with Dragoon these days?

Anyone else out there helping Arthur?

Any other bad guys?

dpebbleson

[31]Mar 15, 2012
    • level: 23
    I like it that Mordred might be returning, it'll be interesting to see how it comes to be, especially concerning the one thing he has to do.

If an evil character returns, and Mordred is mentioned apart from that, then who could that be?

I was hoping for redemption for Morgana this series. At least I hope she doesn't keep hiding in the woods.

I wouldn't expect much from their surprises - TPTB are known for promising amazing twists and turns. In the end they do deliver high quality programme, but the twists aren't really that amazing. If they want to shock us, they should do the reveal without announcing it, I think much of other twists are meant to replace that thing which many of us want.

Aving

[32]Mar 15, 2012
    • level: 2

dpebbleson wrote:
    I like it that Mordred might be returning, it'll be interesting to see how it comes to be, especially concerning the one thing he has to do. If an evil character returns, and Mordred is mentioned apart from that, then who could that be? I was hoping for redemption for Morgana this series. At least I hope she doesn't keep hiding in the woods. I wouldn't expect much from their surprises - TPTB are known for promising amazing twists and turns. In the end they do deliver high quality programme, but the twists aren't really that amazing. If they want to shock us, they should do the reveal without announcing it, I think much of other twists are meant to replace that thing which many of us want.

Except for Uther's and Lancelot's imcomprehensible deaths, there were no such surprising twists, let alone amazing ones (at least for me there was nothing amazing in season four). I think it will be similar with season 5, and if it means that surprising twists will be more deaths, I can do without. But alright, just speculating, we can't know yet.

The evil returning character might be Morgause if it isn't Mordred.

I think Morgana is far, far, far from redemption. If there will be some redemption I sincerely hope it will be an understandable and credible one. I doubt that, she is much too evil and crazy. The thing Merlin has to do in the end might be killing Morgana.

boom-moo

[33]Mar 15, 2012
    Aving wrote:
    [Those spoilers don't sound very promising. What has become of 'in their younger years', 'before they were famous' and 'the show will be over when Arthur is King'? I thought it wasn't supposed to be about the legend but the work towards it. Obviously, the complete legend will be dealt with even just within this season, maybe except for Arthur's death depending on wether the show will get a sixth season or not.
    Spoilers always sound the same: bigger and better, Morgana darker and more evil, surprising twists and turns, a time gap at the beginning, characters being in a different place... TPTB never really deliver big things. Last season proved that they were already beyond their so called 5 year plan.

Aving wrote:

So it means that Merlin will now kill more often and less reluctantly?

Apparently that's gonna be his challenge this season: being able to more or less kill at ease when needed without letting it go up to his head in both making him heartless or driving him mad with remorse.

Aving wrote:
    dpebbleson wrote:
    I was hoping for redemption for Morgana this series. At least I hope she doesn't keep hiding in the woods.
    I think Morgana is far, far, far from redemption. If there will be some redemption I sincerely hope it will be an understandable and credible one. I doubt that, she is much too evil and crazy. The thing Merlin has to do in the end might be killing Morgana.
    I'd rather have Merlin kill Morgana than Morgana find her path into redeption within an episode towards the end and with a click of the fingers. TPTB tend to sacrifice slow burns and character build/development in the name of "unexpected twists and turns".

dpebbleson

[34]Mar 15, 2012
    • level: 23
    The whole 5 year plan reminds me so much of the five year plan for "Supernatural". They kept talking about it like it was the scripture of the show; recently it turned out that the creator of the show lied to the people above him, and tried to sound like he had an exact idea, whereas he only had vague idea where he would go, and had actually roughly planned only 3 seasons.

The lack of the plan doesn't make it a bad show, I believe it can make it even more creative than if it had stuck to some plan from the beginning; but I'm doubtful as well that they really had all this planned, at least not into so much detail. As you said, Esther, it's obvious they went beyond that plan since Arthur was supposed to get crowned at the very end of the series.

I would also have Merlin murder Morgana. I love Morgana and how Katie portrays her, but it's getting dull to have her vengeful all the time, and not succeeding.

I wonder if she has another mole this series? And how exactly does she affect them? How does she enter the story line without Agravaine? Hmmm...

I hope Morgause comes back

boom-moo

[35]Mar 15, 2012
    "We also got to visit the studios and were given a set tour on our last day. I walked through Gaius workshop and sat on merlin's bed. Also got to sit at Arthur's desk. I may have put in a requisition for new clothes for merlin and forged Arthur's signature (...) The scenes we saw being fimled were from episodes one and two" Source.

-So, despite TPTB saying that we'll be surprised by where the characters are at, Merlin seems to be wearing his same old servant clothes in eps 1 and 2.

twizzle

[36]Mar 15, 2012

boom-moo wrote:
    "We also got to visit the studios and were given a set tour on our last day. I walked through Gaius workshop and sat on merlin's bed. Also got to sit at Arthur's desk. I may have put in a requisition for new clothes for merlin and forged Arthur's signature (...) The scenes we saw being fimled were from episodes one and two" Source. -So, despite TPTB saying that we'll be surprised by where the characters are at, Merlin seems to be wearing his same old servant clothes in eps 1 and 2.

Perhaps his position changed but not his clothes?

boom-moo

[37]Mar 15, 2012
    twizzle wrote:

Perhaps his position changed but not his clothes?

Could be but I would think that if Merlin's new clothes in 4x13 were intended to mean that he had acquired a higher status as Arthur's advisor or whatever, he would be using them more often and not just in special occasions. The fact that he seems to be back in his old clothes kind of hints to me that Merlin's status quo hasn't changed and he is still the same old servant even if wiser and acting as "unofficial" advisor.

Scop

[38]Mar 16, 2012
    • level: 4

Considering Merlin's not a knight (and really, could you imagine him jousting?) the position of manservant isn't a bad one to be in. Merlin's never taken advantage of the power of association that job could offer him. Other than maybe eventually becoming Court Physician, the only other job Merlin is qualified for that still allows him to protect Arthur is Court Wizard, and that position isn't legal yet. Not really sure if the advisory position pays or is considered aprivilege, but I'm thinking it's aprivilegeand theadvisershave other things they do to earn their keep or live off the family dole. So until there's a reveal, manservant with speakingprivilegesat court and the occasional romp in the woods saving Arthur's life is the best he get.

In the way the new Camelot is shaping up, the position's not mutually exclusive from being anadviser, especially if the knights are going to be ontheadvisory team because they all listen to Merlin already anyway, but then Arthur may prefer him as an independentobserver he can discuss things with afterwards since, as far as Arthur knows, Merlin doesn't have a political agenda.

If anything, I think Merlin's due for asubstantialraise, and maybe that's why he can afford the better clothes for special occasions. Theinterestingthing I found about Merlin's new jacket was it was the only thing that was different in the scene from Morgana's dream, so he has done something to change his future slightly.

boom-moo

[39]Mar 16, 2012
    Scop wrote:

Theinterestingthing I found about Merlin's new jacket was it was the only thing that was different in the scene from Morgana's dream, so he has done something to change his future slightly.

Arthur's crown and Gwen's jewels and hairstyle were also different so I think it was more a continuity issue than anything

TPTB can be pretty random when it comes to clothes though. Arthur only wore his "thriller jacket" in 2x01 and his red embroidered one in 2x10 so it wouldn't really surprise me if we don't see Merlin wearing his 4x13 one again.

A bruised Gwaine here.

Edited on 03/19/2012 12:52pm

Connor91

[40]Mar 20, 2012
    • level: 6

I'd be very surprised if they didn't do some kind of redemption arc for Morgana. In most versions of the legend she does ultimately make peace with Arthur/Camelot eventually (either before or after Arthur's death) and the fact that they started her off as one of the 'good guys' makes me think that its always been their intention to show her fall to the dark side and then come full circle. I do wonder how they will manage it though given how far they've pushed her as a character.

And I'd doubt they kill her off in 'real time' (i.e. i can imagine them doing it in a vision of the future or something but not as part of a linear episode) simply because a) the premise of the show is 'before they were famous' - and they are not yet famous and b) she's a very popular character amongst fans. Morgause, Uther, Lancelot etc. a) served their purposes in the show and b) do not have the same kind of fanbase as Morgana/Katie.

I agree with boom-moo though, if they do do a redemption arc I hope that its not rushed. However TPTB have a habit of rushing/underplaying pretty much every major plot point/turning point. As much as I adore Morgana, and would probably stop watching if she left, I'd rather have a dramatic death than an underwhelming redemption.

Edited on 03/20/2012 5:32pm
    Edited 2 total times.