Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

Series 5 spoilers thread

boom-moo

[221]May 1, 2012
    • level: 75
    Scop wrote:

Interesting that Arthur would have to rescue the woman from the pire with his sword and not by from by his decree as King alone. Sounds like he and Merlin were on a mission.

It sounds to me like it's his word what does the trick and not the sword. He seems to use it as a show of what he could do if his word wasn't enough. We don't know if he identifies himself as the King or not though.

Julian Murphy CultBox interview (Part 1) here:

-Series 5 will feature more Arthurian legends although they'll put a different spin on them.
    -At least two of them can be found in this list (The Green Knight, Mark, King of Cornwall and Vivienne).
    -Series 5 won't have as many meaty guest roles as the earlier series did due to the bigger amount of cast regulars.
    -The Knights will be developed further.
    -Series 5 will be darker.
    -Guinevere is Queen so we'll see her in a wildly different role to before. They'll return to her family.
    -There are some new female characters.
    -They are going on very interesting journeys with both Morgana and Gwen, those two characters go on paths that people won't expect.

Janet Montgomery reveals some information about some of Princess Mithian's scenes: "so he gets stabbed with a sword and I hop over him escape the falling rubble and run to the wizard." Source.

Edited on 05/04/2012 1:57am
    Edited 3 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ericsprau

[222]May 4, 2012
    • level: 11
    New interview with Julian Murphy on Cultbox here. Not a lot of new content, but officially confirms Liam Cunningham was cast and Alexander Vlahos playing Mordred. Also reveals that more backstory and focus will be given to Gwen, Morgana is again pivotal, and they are exploring some more of the legends now that King Arthur and the KOTR have been established.

boom-moo

[223]May 5, 2012
    Link can be found in the post before yours, Eric. Please don't duplicate information, thanks

boom-moo wrote:
    -Series 5 might the last for Katie McGrath Source.
    Well, the wording there "She is currently filming her final series of MERLIN for the BBC" has been changed to "She is currently filming her fifth series of MERLIN for the BBC" Source.
    Edited on 05/05/2012 4:40am
    Edited 2 total times.

ericsprau

[224]May 5, 2012
    boom-moo wrote:
    Link can be found in the post before yours, Eric. Please don't duplicate information, thanks

Completely unintentional. This has been a very off week for me. I could've swore I checked for that update before posting the link, I don't remember seeing it before...

Interesting they would change the wording on that. Maybe BBC is in talks with Shine for a 6th season?

boom-moo

[225]May 5, 2012
    ericsprau wrote:
    Interesting they would change the wording on that. Maybe BBC is in talks with Shine for a 6th season?
    I think it was just a bad choice of words and the sense that series 5 would be the last one (or at least the last one for Morgana) was totally unintentional.

ericsprau

[226]May 6, 2012
    boom-moo wrote:
    ericsprau wrote:
    I think it was just a bad choice of words and the sense that series 5 would be the last one (or at least the last one for Morgana) was totally unintentional.

Well my point being, obviously if it's not Morgana's last season there HAS to be more seasons coming, you know? It's entirely possible that they have just unintentionally let slip that there are at least talks for further seasons beyond the next one.

boom-moo

[227]May 6, 2012
    I don't think they mean the change as a way to assert that there are more seasons coming, just as a way not to convey that series 5 will be the last one for a fact. I don't think they have a clue yet if TPTB intend to try and have it extended or not, but her original statement was too ambiguous not to change it.

Season 5 involves a lot of "outside the castle" scenes Source which doesn't necessarily mean less Gaius or Gwen Source.

Princess Mithian remains a princess in season 5 Source.

Edited on 05/06/2012 3:42pm

JJuna

[228]May 6, 2012

BM, following on from our last discussion about this, are you now feeling a bit more optimistic about the prospects of a sixth season? Does it also seem that the strict security has been relaxed a little, possibly in response to the demand from fans?

boom-moo

[229]May 6, 2012
    JJuna wrote:

BM, following on from our last discussion about this, are you now feeling a bit more optimistic about the prospects of a sixth season?

Not really but that's me.

JJuna wrote:
    Does it also seem that the strict security has been relaxed a little, possibly in response to the demand from fans?
    I never had that "strict security" feeling, to be honest, I don't know where that came from but I fail to see it. Not being for the lack of a block 1 at Pierrefonds (which I bet has to do with having more sets built in Cardiff and also more "out out of the castle" scenes as pointed out in my previous post) it has been a regular season spoilers wise. They keep filming in public places and stuff is leaked as always. We knew about guest stars before the info was released officially and as it was to be expected, TPTB are sharing new little tidbits in their interviews.

Alice Troughton to direct block 2 Source.

May 7th, filming on Caerphilly mountain Source.

boom-moo wrote:
    Julian Murphy CultBox interview (Part 1) here:

-Series 5 will feature more Arthurian legends although they'll put a different spin on them.
    -At least two of them can be found in this list (The Green Knight, Mark, King of Cornwall and Vivienne).
    -Series 5 won't have as many meaty guest roles as the earlier series did due to the bigger amount of cast regulars.
    -The Knights will be developed further.
    -Series 5 will be darker.
    -Guinevere is Queen so we'll see her in a wildly different role to before. They'll return to her family.
    -There are some new female characters.
    -They are going on very interesting journeys with both Morgana and Gwen, those two characters go on paths that people won't expect.
    Part 2 here:
    -Merlin will get to do some quests on his own as there are sore stories in this series in which Merlin acts alone proactively. Merlin's grown up, we could see the sort of character he was becoming by the end of the last series and they are following that truthfully.
    -The length of the time jump will be enjoyed and discovered in ep 5x01.
    -Lancelot is not likely to ever return.
    -Still filming on 35mm and using a lot of green screen.
    -The spin-off movie and animated series will take a long time. In the case of the animated spin-off, its life has to begin when the live action series ends. -No final decision on an eventual series 6 has been reached yet.

May 9th filming at Merthyr Mawr Source.

Edited on 05/09/2012 11:07am
    Edited 2 total times.

Scop

[230]May 9, 2012
    • level: 4

boom-moo wrote:

__________________ May 9th filming at Merthyr Mawr Source.

Did a quick web search of the area.

Wondering if they're shooting at Merthyr Mawr for the historic village or for the sand dunes...

boom-moo

[232]May 11, 2012
    "Should Merlin be more about Merlin?" article here.

May 11th, filming at Merthyr Mawr Castle Source.

Edited on 05/11/2012 7:29am

PenguinSuzie

[233]May 11, 2012
    • level: 10

I really think there should be more focus on Merlin. There hasn't been nearly enough focus onhim in S3&4 IMO. He's so far behind everyone else when it comes to their individual stories. Like it was said in the comments of that article; Arthur is king, Gwen is queen, the knights are the Knights of the Round Table, Morgana is the bad powerful princess and Merlin is just a servant. He has Arthur's ear and friendship but nothing has really changed in that regard except that he's trusted more. If in S5 Arthur refuses to treat him with respect and recognise their friendship simply because he is the king and Merlin is a servant (even though he married a servant and didn't care about that), then I'm going to be a bit pissed. He just goes between acknowledging him as a friend to belittling him all the time. I know it's part of their dynamic in a way but that part of it annoys me andit seems unfortunate.

Almost all of the episodes that are supposed to be Merlin's episodes in S3&4 are really just as much another character's episode as his.

boom-moo wrote:
    -The length of the time jump will be enjoyed and discovered in ep 5x01.
    I wonder how long there will be between S4&5, I'm really hoping for very little time *fingers crossed*. Since they think we'll enjoy it I wonder what different things have happened and changed in that time. A lot of the things that I want to happen really would work much better if we actually saw them happening, like Merlin being promoted or the reveal. If the reveal is skipped over and Arthur etc already knows with no more than an off hand comment is given to how/what happened then my eye is going to twitch.
    boom-moo wrote:
    -Lancelot is not likely to ever return.
    That's such a pity.

Sorry if I seem kind of negative, I'm just not excited by the things we've heard so far. I'm pretty much dreading that Aithusa will betray Merlin/Kilgharrah, and I really don't think Morgana should have developed any more power already (I especially don't want her to have taken power from Aithusa.) I've always hated the time jumps, and when they say there will be more developement for the knights; after S4 I just don't see that as a great thing. They really broke Gwaine's friendship with Merlin and turned him into a joke. The only knight that got any proper development was Elyan. I wish I could build up some more excitement. At leastit sounds like there will be a little more focus on Merlin, hopefully it really is actual focus.

boom-moo

[234]May 11, 2012
    May 11th filming report Source (May 11th twitters):
    -Filming took place at a private estate.
    -Merlin, Gaius and Percival were part of the cast involved. There was also a "black knight" dressed in armour.
    -The knights were going into a ruined castle, Percival was giving Merlin (who was apparently injured) a fireman's lift.

Jeremy Webb won't be directing any series 5 episode Source.

Looks like Mithian is teaming with Arthur against Morgana: "Did I mention how lovely Katie Mcgrath is? She's also even prettier in person than on screen. She's my newest frenemy" Source.

Edited on 05/12/2012 4:48pm
    Edited 2 total times.

ericsprau

[235]May 17, 2012
    Slow week for spoilers, eh? Still been trolling for a possible word on Nimueh returning, but alas nothing. Just a lot of people wishing it would happen.

BrightlyLit

[236]May 17, 2012
    • level: 5

Is it me or is this a really slow season with spoilers? Seems last year there was always something going on. I know Pierrefonds is late and all that, but you'd think we'd be getting more filming news. I didn't come on the Merlin scene until the end of season three filming so is it unusual not to hear much about what's going on at Cardiff? Seems all I hear is cast getting on/off trains! Guess we need to be patient but this is getting boring, lol.

And why is it that I don't put much stock into what is said in interviews. Seems last year they said a lot of things in the interviews, but when the actual show happened, it didn't seem that the interviews were accurate.

At least we know that Mordred and Princess Mithian are going to be early on in the season. No sign of Queen Annis yet, right?

Edited on 05/17/2012 12:50pm

boom-moo

[237]May 17, 2012
    BrightlyLit wrote:
    I didn't come on the Merlin scene until the end of season three filming so is it unusual not to hear much about what's going on at Cardiff?
    No, it's not unusual. Whatever is filmed at the studio we hardly get any wind of.
    BrightlyLit wrote:
    And why is it that I don't put much stock into what is said in interviews. Seems last year they said a lot of things in the interviews, but when the actual show happened, it didn't seem that the interviews were accurate.
    Well, TPTB are reliable-ish but the cast tends to be quite the wishful thinkers or just assume some things they think will happen and they'd wish to happen rather than spilling real beans.

BrightlyLit wrote:
    No sign of Queen Annis yet, right?
    Not yet (that we know of).

Agravaine_yay

[238]May 17, 2012
    • level: 3

Well, here is a possibility that we all must consider. Remember the Perilois Lands from Series 3? I think they are filming there. They were recently filming at Caeperhilly Mountain, and that is where they filmed it in Series 3. And the place in Morgana's dream looked a lot like the Perilois Lands!I wouldn't call it a spoiler, just something to make us keep our eyes open from information on the topic.

BrightlyLit

[239]May 17, 2012
    • level: 5
    Agravaine_yay wrote:

Well, here is a possibility that we all must consider. Remember the Perilois Lands from Series 3?

My brain is acting up again. What episode was that in season 3?

JJuna

[240]May 17, 2012

BrightlyLit wrote:
    Agravaine_yay wrote:

Well, here is a possibility that we all must consider. Remember the Perilois Lands from Series 3?

My brain is acting up again. What episode was that in season 3?

I think that's episode 8, The Eye of the Phoenix