Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

Series 5 spoilers thread

boom-moo

[41]Mar 21, 2012
    • level: 75
    More on Merlin's clothes:

"Some people have been asking me about how C&B looked with regards to costume and hair ect.. - I'm really crap at judging these things but if pressed I would say that Arthur's hair is a bit longer at the back than it was at the end of last season, and possibly a little longer fringe. Merlin's hair is much the same, though comparing my pics to sceencaps from last season, its maybe a little longer in the fringe too - more brushed forward only his forehead rather that spiky like last time.

Merlin was dressed exactly the same as always. Arthur was in chainmail as always. I did ask if Merlin would be getting new clothes this season. The production team WANT that, but the producers wont let them do it - Merlin's distinctive clothing has become a bit of a trade mark brand!"
    Source.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

telytubie

[42]Mar 21, 2012
    • level: 3
    "-Morgana will be stronger and more committed than ever"

Seriously, how much more committed to evil and stronger can Morgana get already? me too hope for some glimpse of redemption next series but that doesn't sound promising at all!

I agree TPTB tends to rush through turning points.... case in point, Morgana's power and Arthur/Gwen. It took like a year for Morgana to go from zero to beginner in magic, then another year to all powerful sorceress equal to Merlin. While it took Merlin like only his whole life

As for Arthur and Gwen.... Bang! they're in love.... Bang! they broke up..... Bang! they're married! Sorry, I'm still not sold on their relationship but I learn to just accept it. Now, Arthur's confidante? Sound just as prominent as 'moral compass' to me! Hopefully that's not the best they'd come up with for Gwen.

I find it most ironic that everyone else has reached their *legendary* status, except Merlin! Still a servant and his magic just so so and vague at best. It's more believable to say Morgana will be the most powerful sorceress ever live at the rate they're going, not Merlin.

So yes, I really hope they'll finally focus on Merlin's development and get him to his place in the legend! Else, they'd consider changing the title ! It'll be interesting to see where Merlin stands now that Arthur's a wife and confidante. Perhaps they'll move their 'bedchamber antics' and advisory chitchat to the hallway?

BTW, I found it strange that TPTB brought up Arthur's death in the legend when asked about wrapping up the series (if I'm not mistaken), it makes me wonder if they're really going to play with that if the spoiler about Mordred is true. I agree that their 5-year plan's apparently shortened to 4-year and now they're beyond it.

Sparklingwater

[43]Mar 21, 2012
    • level: 4

Connor91 wrote:

And I'd doubt they kill her off in 'real time' (i.e. i can imagine them doing it in a vision of the future or something but not as part of a linear episode) simply because a) the premise of the show is 'before they were famous' - and they are not yet famous and b) she's a very popular character amongst fans. Morgause, Uther, Lancelot etc. a) served their purposes in the show and b) do not have the same kind of fanbase as Morgana/Katie.

If it still was about "before they were famous", Lancelot wouldn't have been killed and he definitely hasn't saved his purpose in regard to that. Neither has Uther because his death made Arthur king which pushed them over the "before they were famous" plot as well. I doubt that they don't have an equal fanbase to Morgana but that's a different subject. As boom-moo said, TPTB are far beyond their plan, for whatever reason, and with season 4 they have destroyed every believable plot about the "younger years" and the "before they were famous" thing, as well as every interesting storyline because it all has come to an end already... actually. What they are showing now seems to be just a slightly different view on the well known legends, nothing more. Arthur is already a grown up man, not a boy anymore and he is king and married to Gwen... and most of all uniting Albion. They are famous now, they are the legendary people we have seen over and over again in various movies or read about in books.

Oh how boring.

The only difference is that Lancelot is dead and that Merlin is stagnating and a young man instead of Methusalem with a beard. Therefore I wouldn't expect any of the characters to survive the series. Honestly, I'm sure they will kill Arthur off, wether this season or the next one in case the show gets another season.

Redemption for Morgana would be quite ridiculous after everything she's done. The only understandable and credible way to give her redemption would be if she was kind of enchanted by Morgause or the bracelett, something like that. Every other reason would be much too naive and incomprehensible. But being enchanted and then seeing the light in the end would be a reset button the TPTB didn't want to use anymore. In case they do indeed use a resett button, I want one for Uther and Lancelot as well

Since Morgana has become a caricature of herself and like a villain straight from a comic book, her becoming even more committed to evil and stronger and whatnot cannot be interesting anymore. Neither could a redemption. How evil can someone get? Torturing, destroying and killing is the limit and can't be exceeded. I doubt that she is capable of destroying the planet.

It all seems to be about quantity instead of quality. Bigger, faster, louder. Mission Impossible in Camelot.

PenguinSuzie

[44]Mar 21, 2012
    • level: 10

I hope Morgana doesn't get even more powerful. She'll have more power than Merlin . If she's still trying to take over Camelot like she seems, I hope she doesn't have another mole as it would just be unbelievably repetitive, especially since Arthur's learned that lesson and if Merlin knew again . If they don't try for a redemption an interesting story IMO would be if she becomes quite broken and crazy and slowly deteriorates, bit dark for Merlin maybe though.

boom-moo wrote:
    I did ask if Merlin would be getting new clothes this season. The production team WANT that, but the producers wont let them do it - Merlin's distinctive clothing has become a bit of a trade mark brand!"
    Darn it! Even if it's a trade mark it doesn't mean he can't own one more outfit.
    Connor91 wrote:
    And I'd doubt they kill her off in 'real time' (i.e. i can imagine them doing it in a vision of the future or something but not as part of a linear episode) simply because a) the premise of the show is 'before they were famous' - and they are not yet famous and b) she's a very popular character amongst fans. Morgause, Uther, Lancelot etc. a) served their purposes in the show and b) do not have the same kind of fanbase as Morgana/Katie.
    I can see them killing her off. I agree with Sparklingwater this is hardly before they were famous anymore and I don't expect them to stick to the legends when it comes to the future of the characters. I wouldn't be very surprised if she died or any of the characters except Merlin & Arthur did. I know that Merlin, Arthur, Morgana & Gwen have always kind of been the core four of the show but it doesn't mean they can't die. Since Arthur is king, Gwen queen, Morgana evil, Lancelot dead and Mordred about to appear, they might cover that part of the legends and kill off Arthur at the end of the season (if it's the last one), or kill off Mordred this season regardless if it's the last or not. If Lancelot served his purpose with the fake thing with Gwen then Morgana may have served her purpose by the end of S5 with an alternative story for her. That would be a shame though, I don't know where they could take her character that would be believable and not repetitive.

Edited on 03/21/2012 5:45pm
    Edited 2 total times.

boom-moo

[45]Mar 22, 2012
    Alexander Vlahos, a 23 years old Welsh actor has been cast to play Mordred in series 5 Source.

From Alexander Vlahos' twitter (and most likely Merlin related):
    -(March 20th) I'm up early to go horse riding. Looking forward immensely.
    -(March 16th) Having to keep twitter on the low-key side since starting the new job. All hush hush makes vlavla's twitter account seem defunct.
    -(March 6th) So, I had a 'wig fitting' today for the next job. Read through tomorrow. Awesome stuff.
    Edited on 03/22/2012 1:59am

Liviana178

[46]Mar 22, 2012
    Well, I suppose that means that there will be a huge jump in time... I think series 5 will play at least 2 or 3 years after the finale of series 4.

boom-moo

[47]Mar 22, 2012
    Liviana178 wrote:
    Well, I suppose that means that there will be a huge jump in time... I think series 5 will play at least 2 or 3 years after the finale of series 4.
    It could go either way, but I don't think the time jump will be that long, The actor playing Merlin is 23 so he could pose as someone who is around 20. If Mordred was around 10 in season 1, he would be around 18-20 in season 5 (assuming the time jump between series has always been 1 year-ish and that'd be the case again).

PenguinSuzie

[48]Mar 22, 2012
    There wasn't really a full year gap between 1&2 though so he'd only be about 17 in S5. I think Colin Morgan is actually 26, if Wikipedia is right. That's really a pity that they've recast Mordred. Then again I really wish there wasn't another year jump, I just hope they don't skip over anything important. For Mordred to be in his 20's in S5 Arthur and Merlin will both be in their 30's. It sounds like the gap between S4&5 will be much longer than a year.

Scop

[49]Mar 22, 2012

I hope they don't put them in their 30's! That would be way to long of a jump. I was thinking a year or two jump as mentioned above myself. (Colin and Bradley are what? about 5 years older than Merlin and Arthur at the end of S4?) Mordred I would put somewhere at 15-17 years old with the time jump. As far as Arthur knows, Mordred would be a friend as the last time he's seen him was when he helped him escape. He doesn't know he was at the Druid village he attacked or with Alavar. And if Alavar and Mordred have met up with Morgana, Arthur's in prime position to be blind sided again into trusting Mordred. I can see Mordred coming in as aliaisonto the Druids or something like that. And with him knowing Merlin is Emrys, that's going to put him in hot water with Morgana if he decides to tell her, and with Arthur if he tells him Merlin is a warlock. So I can see a lot of squirming here for Merlin, especially if they portray Mordred as still being a half way decent guy but with his own agenda and version of what's right and wrong.

Aving

[50]Mar 22, 2012
    • level: 2

I think it's likely that Arthur and Merlin will already be in their 30's in season five since they were at least over their mid twenties in season four. It had already been twenty years in the very first episode of season one when Uther held his speech about the dragon being held prisoner and the war on magic, which was caused by Igraine's death and therefore Arthur's birth. So four years of Merlin + two years skipped, then a time warp again in season five, makes at least 27 years if not more depending on how far ahead they will jump into time.

I suppose that the time jump will be more than just one year because Colin Morgan said that he wouldn't have to shave to look younger than he is in the upcoming season. Mordrerd was around ten or eleven in season one, so if he is played by a 23 years old actor, I suppose they will skip three to five years.

legend-dreamer

[51]Mar 22, 2012
    • level: 13

Thinking it over, the time jumps between series that the TPTB have done actually brings most of the main characters (Merlin, Arthur, Morgana) ages in sync with the actors actual ages for series 5.

So we are going to have an older (and probably more powerful) Mordred in series 5. Could be interesting.

It also seems that the actor who will be playing Mordred was surprised that his role was leaked out.

Edited on 03/22/2012 5:21pm

boom-moo

[52]Mar 22, 2012
    Colin and Bradley filming at Margam Park on March 22nd here.

MsEnthusiasimal

[53]Mar 23, 2012
    • level: 2

http://www.lady.co.uk/love_letter_vintage_style

Kate McGrath said she's had a fitting and Morgana's new outfits are more "Sumptuous" "Less 'she's living in a hovel' and more 'medievalcouture'"

Liviana178

[54]Mar 23, 2012
    PenguinSuzie wrote:
    There wasn't really a full year gap between 1&2 though so he'd only be about 17 in S5. I think Colin Morgan is actually 26, if Wikipedia is right. That's really a pity that they've recast Mordred. Then again I really wish there wasn't another year jump, I just hope they don't skip over anything important. For Mordred to be in his 20's in S5 Arthur and Merlin will both be in their 30's. It sounds like the gap between S4&5 will be much longer than a year.

That's exactly what I think, too. Last time we've seen Morded, he was a child, and now he's going to be an adult? It's just strange, that's all .

legend-dreamer

[56]Mar 23, 2012
    • level: 13

Just because the actor portraying Mordred is in his early twenties doesn't mean that will be the character's age. It is common practice, in T.V. and film, for an actor in their early to mid-twenties to portray a teenaged character.

Look at the young cast of Merlin in Series 1, they were all in their early to mid-twenties portraying "teenagers".

It will be an interesting series with Mordred somehow involved, especially with his knowledge of who Emrys is.

Sparklingwater

[57]Mar 23, 2012

legend-dreamer wrote:

Look at the young cast of Merlin in Series 1, they were all in their early to mid-twenties portraying "teenagers".

Not quite, they portrayed at least 20 years old men.

Chayiana

[58]Mar 23, 2012
    • level: 6

Sparklingwater wrote:

legend-dreamer wrote:

Not quite, they portrayed at least 20 years old men.

I wouldn't say "at least". I always thought Arthur has been 20 when the series started. He was coming of age in 1x09, which - I think - meant he turned 21. And Merlin must've been about a year younger than Arthur, so, being 19 in the beginning he was indeed still a teenager.

I agree with legend-dreamer... there're a lot of examples where actors in their twenties portrayed characters under 20. So, I think, there won't be a problem with this guy portraying Mordred. Oh, and I'm really looking forward to that!

fantasyfreak77

[59]Mar 23, 2012
    • level: 14
    Chayiana wrote:
    there're a lot of examples where actors in their twenties portrayed characters under 20.
    *cough* Harry Potter.
    Chayiana wrote:
    So, I think, there won't be a problem with this guy portraying Mordred. Oh, and I'm really looking forward to that!
    I agree! I'll miss Asa and his creepy mind-speak and intense stare-downs, for sure, but an older Mordred makes everything darker and more real to me. It's going to be intense.

PenguinSuzie

[60]Mar 23, 2012
    I like to think Merlin was 20 in S1 and after 1x09 that Arthur was 21, about a year older than Merlin. Since there's been 4 seasons and 2 year jumps already and a lot of time passes each season that would make them about 25/6 and 26/7 at the end of S4. Another year gap means 26/7 and 27/8 at the beginning of S5. Morgana and Gwen are suppose to be older than them so I suppose Gwen is already at least 30 in S5.
    Liviana178 wrote:
    That's exactly what I think, too. Last time we've seen Morded, he was a child, and now he's going to be an adult? It's just strange, that's all.
    It'll be strange. I just hope it's good casting and that he really looks like him. If not Merlin might not actually recognise him, they could use that as part of the story but I'd rather that he looked like him.