BBC (ended 2012)

Series 5 spoilers thread

Aving

[61]Mar 23, 2012
    • level: 2

Chayiana wrote:

Sparklingwater wrote:

legend-dreamer wrote:

Look at the young cast of Merlin in Series 1, they were all in their early to mid-twenties portraying "teenagers".

Not quite, they portrayed at least 20 years old men.

I wouldn't say "at least". I always thought Arthur has been 20 when the series started. He was coming of age in 1x09, which - I think - meant he turned 21. And Merlin must've been about a year younger than Arthur, so, being 19 in the beginning he was indeed still a teenager.

Coming of age was from twelve to 25 in the middle age, depending on the decade, the various stations within the young people's life (own children, marriage, death of parents) and depending on the status quo. I don't know how precise the producers are, though.

Aside from that, I would even believe that Arthur and Merlin were older than twenty or nineteen in season one, given that the dragon's capture had been 20 years already. In case it all started after Arthur's birth, the dragons must have been wiped out within less than just one year, which I think is very unlikely. It would make more sense if Arthur was a few years beyond his twenties when considering that killing all dragons and capturing one of them would take a while. Kilgharrah was the last dragon, wasn't he? Maybe the war on magic had started earlier than people think. Could be that Arthur was 23 or 25 in season one already.

Mordred has always been one of my least favorite characters. Whatever age he will be in the upcoming season, he won't be a nice person but probably just another villain in Morgana's company.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

telytubie

[62]Mar 24, 2012
    • level: 3

Well, doesn't look to me like TPTB are sticking to any specific era, nor characters' age or time passed within a season, except the 2 years leap.

To work out the timeline at the beginning, I agree Arthur has to be more than 20 since Igraine's death at his birth was the catalyst for the great purge which later led to the dragon's captured. But Merlin has to be at least a year younger than 20 because Balinor only met Hunith when he's on the run *after* leading the dragon to Uther. Actually the younger Merlin is the older Arthur will be, if I get my math right And there's the "..... shoulder of a young boy" narration..... I think the actors real age are just about right for their character.

As for the new actor playing Mordred, well, just look at Colin who I think could still get away playing a teen Speaking of which, if the producers won't change his 'trademark ' costume, shouldn't they at least change his hair style so he looks 'older' as he's suppose to? (Has anyone looked at the photoshoot he and Katie did for "The Lady"? I can barely recognize him )

Edited on 03/24/2012 2:29am

PenguinSuzie

[63]Mar 24, 2012
    • level: 10
    telytubie wrote:
    And there's the "..... shoulder of a young boy" narration.....
    I always thought he called him boy because the dragon is so old, Merlin is just a boy to him.

IMO Merlin was definitely no younger than 19 in S1 at the least. It's probably been about 6 years since S1 at least. I wonder how different his hair is in S5, the people watching filming mentioned it.

Wonder_

[64]Mar 25, 2012
    • level: 4

I'm a little bit worried about the fact that there's going to be a big time jump (or at least, it looks like there is). It kind of means that there won't be an enchantment reveal with Gwen/Lancelot (I was expecting that, but this almost confirms it. I can't see them bringing it back up again now.) Also, I'm worried that TPTB will use the time jump to turn Mordred into a flat villain who just wants to kill Arthur because of the magic thing. And Arthur probably wouldn't recognise him, or if he did he wouldn't realise he was evil, so Morgana won't use Mordred as a spy again, would she?

And I agree with those of you who said that it's not 'before they were famous' anymore and that there's a possibility Arthur will die at the end of the series. How does that link to Morgana's vision in 4x01 then? Why would Merlin be 80 years old then? Does that mean he's still using it as a disguise?

As you can tell, I'm rather confused...

twizzle

[65]Mar 25, 2012
    • level: 3

Wonder_ wrote:

I'm a little bit worried about the fact that there's going to be a big time jump (or at least, it looks like there is). It kind of means that there won't be an enchantment reveal with Gwen/Lancelot (I was expecting that, but this almost confirms it. I can't see them bringing it back up again now.) Also, I'm worried that TPTB will use the time jump to turn Mordred into a flat villain who just wants to kill Arthur because of the magic thing. And Arthur probably wouldn't recognise him, or if he did he wouldn't realise he was evil, so Morgana won't use Mordred as a spy again, would she?

And I agree with those of you who said that it's not 'before they were famous' anymore and that there's a possibility Arthur will die at the end of the series. How does that link to Morgana's vision in 4x01 then? Why would Merlin be 80 years old then? Does that mean he's still using it as a disguise?

As you can tell, I'm rather confused...

IIRC wasn't Morgana's hand in her vision that of an old woman indicating it's way in the future?

jane9115

[66]Mar 25, 2012
    • level: 5

I pray that Mordred isnt turnd into a flat villian, but most of all I am praying for dear life that he isnt another Agravine in that Arthur will trust him for really know reason and Merlin will just stand back until he has absolutelyno choice. Urgh. TPTB, please,please, prove us wrong! Give us twists, give us character development, give Merlin some new clothes!

Edited on 03/26/2012 6:01am

PenguinSuzie

[67]Mar 26, 2012
    jane9115 wrote:
    I pra that Mordred isnt turnd into a flat villian, but most of all I am praying for dear life that he isnt another Agravine in that Arthur will trust for really know reason and Merlin will just stand back until he has absolutely know choice. Urgh. TPTB, please,please, prove us wrong! Give us twists, give us character development, give Merlin some new clothes!
    I agree so much.

boom-moo

[68]Mar 26, 2012
    • level: 75
    -Just got back from the valleys after day2 of #Merlin. Ab-sol-ut-elly shattered. Don't know how saxons did it. #NewFoundRespect Source.

-I literally couldn't ache anymore if yesterday I spent 5 hours in the gym. Instead I had a sword fight in a forrest dressed as a saxon... Source.

PenguinSuzie

[69]Mar 27, 2012
    Cool so there's definitely going to be Saxon's as Arthur's enemy. I wonder if S5 will be the last then. Hope not.

Scop

[72]Mar 27, 2012

Haven't seen this anywhere else. Nice shot.

https://twitter.com/#!/spudbird2009/status/184689714467569664/photo/1

Chayiana

[73]Mar 27, 2012
    • level: 6

Scop wrote:

It's really nice, but I (still ^^) think it's a manip. Merlin/Colin looks "second series"-like, don't you think? And Arthur's armour is very (too) different.

Edited on 03/27/2012 1:37pm

zeencat

[74]Mar 27, 2012
    Scop wrote:

Is it just me or does this picture look like a bad attempt at photoshop editing.

boom-moo

[75]Mar 27, 2012
    I call it manip as well.

Scop

[76]Mar 27, 2012

Yeah, I was wondering about that as well, the eye line is just too good for luck for a random shoot and the background looks a little CG,

but it's still a good pix. Still wouldn't mind Merlin getting that cape, though

Edited on 03/27/2012 2:14pm

boom-moo

[77]Mar 28, 2012
    Alvarr to return in eps 5x01 and 5x02:

Merlin (2012): He has already participated in the BBC drama, his character Alvarr is set to return for the fifth series, he comments: "Yes! It's exciting I know! Last time I was in it my character just disappeared and I wondered if we'd see him again, and here we are! Only the first two episodes of the series but I'm still stoked!" Source and Source.

Stephen McCole might be done with his participation in Merlin already so he is probably just being featured in the opening two parter or first block Source.

Edited on 03/28/2012 2:53am
    Edited 2 total times.

PendragonLady

[78]Mar 28, 2012

Modred should be in his mid to late teens by the end of Season 4, so having him as a adult or near adultwouldn't really be that strange. I really hope he does come back, and for more than 2 or 3 episodes. A little disappointed, though, that he's been recast; butit's inevitable, because Asa is still too young to play an older Mordred. After seeing Vlahos' picture on IMDB, I think he can pull it off; he's definitely got the looks.

Scop

[79]Mar 28, 2012

Mmm, now Alvarr finding out Merlin is a powerful sorcerer capable of reading the Crystal would be interesting. Why Mordred didn't tell him before who can say, but with Mordred being mad at Emrys now, that's a possibility. And Alavar would be the type to play Merlin by not telling Morgana about him, but using that as a bargaining chip to get Merlin to do something questionable that he wants him to do.

Edited on 03/28/2012 11:19am

boom-moo

[80]Mar 28, 2012
    So I guess that Alvarr/Mordred/Morgana reunite and plot against Arthur/Merlin which leads to A/M eventually killing Alvarr and Mordred/Morgana have a further reason to hate them and seek revenge all season through? I hope there's something more to it.

And I want to see how TPTB are gonna get away with Mordred knowing that Merlin is Emrys and not telling Morgana. Maybe all that he is aware of is that Merlin is known as Emrys between the Druids but since he's always referred to him as Emrys, I guess that sooner or later it should slip out of his mouth.