Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

Series 5 spoilers thread

fernajen

[821]Sep 4, 2012
    • level: 3

[QUOTE="Connor91"Merlin as a character away from his relationship with Arthur and Morgana. This coming from someone who isn't actually that fond of Merlin as a character.[/QUOTE]

I think that would be a very difficult thing to pull off at this point (not impossible mind you). First off, Merlin works for Arthur and is around him all the time. Morgana is out to kill Arthur that cause Merlin to butt heads with her a lot. By the very nature of the situationopportunitiesto get away from both of those characters for asignificantlengthof time are few. Second, Merlin as a character isobsessedwith the idea of Albion. Arthur is the means by which that can be accomplished. Morgana is the means where that can beunraveled. Even if you remove themphysicallyfrom the story arc they still have atendencyto drive Merlin's actions.

Personally, I hate it when writers force character development. If they have a story arc where it flows right that's great. But my personal expectations of a story line like that are so low that I can't see myself liking the episode.

But maybe I feel that way because I like the way they handle characterdevelopmenton the show. It is really and truly one of my favorite things about Merlin. The show is notirritatinglyheavy handed and over the top instead it's subtle and realistic. There is a huge difference between Merlin in season 1 and Merlin in season 4, but it's easy not to notice it's done in such a natural way. Same thing goes for Arthur's character. My only real complaint is that characters tend towards a slightepidemicof episodic memory. That, thatfrustratesme a little.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Scop

[822]Sep 4, 2012
    • level: 4

One thing they have to be really careful of is having Magic so powerful that only Magic can defend against it, as they've already established that Uthur got rid of almost everyone in Magic's heyday.

fernajen

[823]Sep 4, 2012
    Scop wrote:

One thing they have to be really careful of is having Magic so powerful that only Magic can defend against it, as they've already established that Uthur got rid of almost everyone in Magic's heyday.

Yeah, I really hope they address that. Anyways, I came up with a theory about those three hooded witches in the trailer. I think that they might be the Morrigan (aka the "triple goddess"). What do you guys think?

PenguinSuzie

[825]Sep 4, 2012
    • level: 10

fernajen wrote:
    The show is not irritatingly heavy handed and over the top instead it's subtle and realistic.
    I think the show is quite heavy handed when it comes to character development, changes happen all of a sudden and come out of nowhere, as oppose to being slow and steady. Morgana being a prime example, she had a lot of steady development heading towards her becoming an enemy, but in S3 it was a very dramatic change like a switch had been flipped and she was suddenly the cackling 2 dimensional villain . Merlin's character has developed better but I think it might be partially that it's because they didn't sit down to write a Merlin character development story or I think he might have gone through some sudden changes. (I don't mean to be negative, I love the show and it's characters but I think believable character development isn't really one of their strong points.)

I know Merlin is going to be a bit darker in season 5 and it's going to be interesting to see.

fernajen wrote:
    Yeah, I really hope they address that. Anyways, I came up with a theory about those three hooded witches in the trailer. I think that they might be the Morrigan (aka the "triple goddess"). What do you guys think?
    Cool! Great idea! I thought I recognized the name/description so I looked it up and that would be a pretty cool storyline for them to do.

Edited on 09/04/2012 8:24am

fernajen

[826]Sep 4, 2012

PenguinSuzie wrote:
    fernajen wrote:
    The show is not irritatingly heavy handed and over the top instead it's subtle and realistic.
    I think the show is quite heavy handed when it comes to character development, changes happen all of a sudden and come out of nowhere, as oppose to being slow and steady. Morgana being a prime example, she had a lot of steady development heading towards her becoming an enemy, but in S3 it was a very dramatic change like a switch had been flipped and she was suddenly the cackling 2 dimensional villain . Merlin's character has developed better but I think it might be partially that it's because they didn't sit down to write a Merlin character development story or I think he might have gone through some sudden changes. (I don't mean to be negative, I love the show and it's characters but I think believable character development isn't really one of their strong points.) I know Merlin is going to be a bit darker in season 5 and it's going to be interesting to see.

I'll agree that they could've done a better job with Morgana. For example I think she should've been more conflicted when it came to Arthur. Or they should've indicated that she thought that Arthur ordered Merlin to poison her (While he doesn't know about the poisoning it'scompletelywithin therealmofpossibilitythat Morgana thinks that Arthur had something to do with it). But the thing about Morgana is I don't think that she was ever truly a good person. When I go back and watch season 1 & 2 I flinch because I realize that she really just likes the idea of being a hero. But deep down she just selfish. A year with somebody suckling her selfish side will change somebody a lot. But the smirking was over the top.

I think one of the reasons they had so much trouble with her characterdevelopmentis they realized they didn't have a good excuse for Uther to keep looking for her for over a year. So they went "oh, crap. Ahhh, Morgana's his daughter... Um... We have to make sure that she doesn't react well to this..."

boom-moo

[827]Sep 4, 2012
    • level: 75
    Scifinow on Uther's return here:

-He was going to be brought back towards the end of last season, but the way the story arcs went, it felt more appropriate to bring him back in Season 5.
    -He returns at a point in Arthur’s life where he is absolutely missing his father, and at a moment where he is having a bit of a wobble as king and needs some advice.
    -He will get to interact with Merlin. Uther gets to play some key emotional scenes and he has as this amazing scene with Merlin in which they have a good conversation, a conversation that they should have had a long time ago about Arthur.
    -The appearance will only be for one episode, but it will resolve some unfinished business for the former King of Camelot. He is able to have those emotional scenes that he probably didn’t have because he died sooner than he should have.
    Edited on 09/05/2012 4:52am
    Edited 2 total times.

PenguinSuzie

[828]Sep 5, 2012

That sounds great! It'll be good to see Uther again and it sounds like it'll be well done and very emotional. The scene with Merlin sounds very interesting, Uther may already know all about Merlin and since he's dead he could know everything, all the reasons and the little things so his reaction to such things with be nothing like it would have if he was alive.

fernajen wrote:
    When I go back and watch season 1 & 2 I flinch because I realize that she really just likes the idea of being a hero. But deep down she just selfish.
    I think she was always a selfish person, but she was a lot more conflicted and friendly back then. I think they were handling it really well in S1&2 because the things that pushed her to react were quite believable and even then she was pulled back from fully becoming the enemy because she would realize how much they cared for her. She's a very strong willed person and I was really enjoying her slow burning story arc but I think they should have kept it at a slow pace even if more happened to make her turn on them I wish they'd handled her actual birth as an enemy differently. Morgana is quite easily manipulated and her year with Morgause really pushed her but since the start of S3 was just them mentioning that a year had passed and we hadn't actually seen any such time pass and her change was so severe (a complete lack of affection present for people like Gwen) that it seemed to us like such a strong change came out of no where.

She'll already pretty far gone but in the 3 year gap to S5 she's being tortured and kept somewhere (for at least part of that time) so she'll now be even crazier and even further gone and if they keep her going down this road any kind of redemption arc in the future would be unbelievable.

I like analyzing characters and storylines. Since this is getting a little away from spoilers for season 5 we should move this to the Morgana thread.

Edited on 09/05/2012 9:29am
    Edited 2 total times.

boom-moo

[829]Sep 5, 2012
    Merlin Official twitter wallpaper depicting some s5 CGI that we've seen on the previews here.

Sparklingwater

[830]Sep 5, 2012
    • level: 4

PenguinSuzie wrote:

That sounds great! It'll be good to see Uther again and it sounds like it'll be well done and very emotional. The scene with Merlin sounds very interesting, Uther may already know all about Merlin and since he's dead he could know everything, all the reasons and the little things so his reaction to such things with be nothing like it would have if he was alive.

Sounds to me like anything else they had promised in the past and what turned out to be exaggerated and not quite true. Since when have the spoilers and promises ever been accurate? I suppose Uther will be the same as ever, maybe described even worse and Merlin will tell him that it was all his fault and that he made mistakes and in the end Uther will ask Merlin to take care of his son. The conversation will last 1 minute and that was it, I assume. Remember when they said that Uther will make some surprising choices and decisions in season 4? Well, I'm still waiting for this.... 'cause I haven't seen them....

I would be looking forward to it if the spoilers of TPTB had always been reliable. I'm sure it will be disappointing again, as usual, but I prefer to be wrong on this

boom-moo

[831]Sep 5, 2012
    Kelly Wenham to play Queen Mab in s5 Source.

From Eoin's twitter: "Today I fell into a lake and got over excited and swallowed a fly" Source.

Avalon? Lady of the Lake again? Queen Mab has been depicted as "the main antagonist in the 1998 fantasy mini-series, Merlin. She is portrayed as a cruel, power-hungry, somewhat sociopathic goddess and the twin sister of the Lady of the Lake." Source.
    Edited on 09/05/2012 4:29pm

PenguinSuzie

[832]Sep 6, 2012
    To be honest I don't really think of Freya as the Lady of the Lake. I wonder if the Queen Mab in S5 will have anything to do with her, I doubt it but I'm curious.

fernajen

[833]Sep 6, 2012

boom-moo wrote:
    Kelly Wenham to play Queen Mab in s5 Source.

Avalon? Lady of the Lake again? Queen Mab has been depicted as "the main antagonist in the 1998 fantasy mini-series, Merlin. She is portrayed as a cruel, power-hungry, somewhat sociopathic goddess and the twin sister of the Lady of the Lake." Source.

Mab? Interesting. InEnglish folklore and Shakespearean literatureQueen Mab is the fairy queen. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_Mab

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairy_Queen

I've also read about a Warrior queen Mab in folklore but since there doesn't seem to be anything about that on Wikipedia. I'm too lazy to worry about getting an internet source.

For those of you are familiar with Jane Austin's "Sense andSensibility" when Marianne is given a horse by Willoughby (who is a jerk) she names it Queen Mab.

boom-moo

[834]Sep 7, 2012
    boom-moo wrote:
    Some dates (subject to variation) have been released:

-14/06/2012 to 27/06/2012
    and
    -06/09/2012 to 14/09/2012
    Source.

Original dates for Pierrefonds block 3 filming may now be reduced to Sept 11th to Sept 13th Source which matches this recent information.

Season 5 the last one? "A bit gutted, final ever block in France will be without me....." Source.

Edited on 09/07/2012 6:43pm

JanetteCassar

[835]Sep 8, 2012
    • level: 6

boom-moo wrote:
    Season 5 the last one? "A bit gutted, final ever block in France will be without me....." Source.

ooooohhhhhh.... I have to admit...... that I am now nearly all convince that this will indeed be the last season

boom-moo

[836]Sep 8, 2012
    Jane Thorne to play Valdis in 4x03, directed by Justin Molotnikov Source.

Dale McCready working on colouring Merlin here.

Sept 7th, filming at Speech House Lake in the Forest of Dean Source.
    Edited on 09/08/2012 2:48am

Ivyteainn

[837]Sep 8, 2012
    • level: 1

JanetteCassar wrote:

boom-moo wrote:

ooooohhhhhh.... I have to admit...... that I am now nearly all convince that this will indeed be the last season

I would wait to see what develops. Too many people are jumping to conclusions based on heresay. Television series are rarely renewed before the show actually airs. The BBC wants to see the ratings. There is a question of production budget and salaries that have to be negotiated. BBC doesn't have the finances that other networks have. So all of this is very tricky and takes time. I would assume that the production people and stars want the program to continue. So, I would give it time and not despair.

zeencat

[838]Sep 9, 2012
    Ivyteainn wrote:

JanetteCassar wrote:

boom-moo wrote:

I would wait to see what develops. Too many people are jumping to conclusions based on heresay. Television series are rarely renewed before the show actually airs. The BBC wants to see the ratings. There is a question of production budget and salaries that have to be negotiated. BBC doesn't have the finances that other networks have. So all of this is very tricky and takes time. I would assume that the production people and stars want the program to continue. So, I would give it time and not despair.

@Ivyteainin - I believe that you are absolutely right. I think we have been lucky that Merlin has been renewed so early on in the past. I would hope that they have some sort of plan for the ending nothing more I hate than an open ended storyline. I hope they end it well if we dont get a 6th season.

I believe we are getting the reveal this season. I just hope it doesn't come right at the end, I would like a few episodes to see how Merlin and Arthur truly get on after the reveal.

boom-moo

[839]Sep 9, 2012
    Alexander Vlahos interview in the Sept/Oct issue of Young Performer magazine here.

boom-moo wrote:
    From the same source: "we have been told that series 5 is the last but who knows.....!?" Source.
    Edited on 09/09/2012 12:54pm

Ivyteainn

[840]Sep 9, 2012
    • level: 1

zeencat wrote:
    Ivyteainn wrote:

JanetteCassar wrote:

boom-moo wrote:

@Ivyteainin - I believe that you are absolutely right. I think we have been lucky that Merlin has been renewed so early on in the past. I would hope that they have some sort of plan for the ending nothing more I hate than an open ended storyline. I hope they end it well if we dont get a 6th season. I believe we are getting the reveal this season. I just hope it doesn't come right at the end, I would like a few episodes to see how Merlin and Arthur truly get on after the reveal.

The best thing that fans can do is watch Merlin and pump up the ratings. If you watch it or download via the Internet, you should do it at sites that the BBC can count the numbers. Another thing that fans can do is to write letters or phone the BBC urging them to renew Merlin. That may sound premature, but its always better to be proactive before a decision is made then afterwards.

The magic reveal needs to come this season or viewers may lose interest in a 6th season or a movie trilogy. That Arthur doesn't suspect Merlin's magic is now almost absurd. Even fantasy shows have to be believable. How Arthur react to the reveal will be interesting. Capps said that Merlin will do some questing on his own this season; maybe that is part of some banishment that occurs. It seems that with Modred knowing that Merlin is a warlock that a reveal is inevitable.