Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

Series 5 spoilers thread

boom-moo

[901]Sep 27, 2012
    • level: 75
    Well, if TPTB are still discussing the possibility of a 6th series I guess that Arthur won't meet his end in Camlaan, or if he does, they'll put their own spin in the legend as per usual and revive him. Or maybe the fact that it is uncertain if Arthur dies or not will serve as some sort of an open ending.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

yafu2

[902]Sep 27, 2012
    • level: 4

If I had to bet money we've already seen the ending of the series... it's the scene of Emrys standing over Morgana asking her if this is what she really wanted.

boom-moo

[903]Sep 27, 2012
    yafu2 wrote:

If I had to bet money we've already seen the ending of the series... it's the scene of Emrys standing over Morgana asking her if this is what she really wanted.

Yeah but what does that exactly say about Arthur? That's my idea of an open end.

yafu2

[904]Sep 27, 2012

That's what I mean they'll leave it open ended. You see Excalibur you see the knights all strewn about but you see no faces to identify who they are. If there's no new series you assume Arthur died. If there is they'll start Series 6 off with what happened next. It's almost so predictable it's stupid, but they did say they've known how it would end for quite some time and that scene came about at the beginning of Series 4 so it makes the most sense. It's the perfect ending point to end the series and the legend, but it's also open ended enough they can get out of it and continue if they get more seasons ordered.

Edited on 09/27/2012 3:46pm
    Edited 2 total times.

boom-moo

[905]Sep 28, 2012
    My thoughts exactly, yafu2

The article has been edited to remove the Camlaan bit, btw Now it says:

What’s been the toughest scene you’ve had to build? JW: Two days ago, we did the campsite at Trefell and we had 28 tents and each tent had to be put up, every pole and to be cango-drilled" heavy spikes driven into the ground" it was a complete nightmare! [Laughter]

The BBC finally lists Merlin in their Oct 6th schedule Source

Arthur's Bane - Part 1

Camelot basks in the halcyon days of a new golden age. But even as she flowers, so the dark seeds of her destruction are being sown... For in the frozen wastelands of the north, men are disappearing without trace.

In search of answers, King Arthur and his knights must undertake a dangerous mission to the unknown. As the sun sets on the icy plains, Merlin finds himself locked in a battle unlike any he has fought before; a battle with fate itself.

Sat 6 Oct 2012 19:45 BBC One

Edited on 09/28/2012 2:26am

illegalferret

[906]Sep 28, 2012
    • level: 25

Finally is a good word to use Esther! Anyway having waited an age for them to offer up the info here's is the preview for episode 2:

Arthur's Bane part 2 (i imagine!) BBC 1 13th October 2012 7.45-8.30pm Sourcehttp://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/proginfo/search/?medium=tv&channel=&yearweek=&day=(I've still not learnt how to do the clever clickable source word yet )

Ancient prophecies of Mordred weigh heavy on Merlin, for not even he can sway Arthur from his chosen path.

As dawn breaks across the icy tundra, Merlin and Arthur are close to exhaustion. With each tortured step. the fortress of Ismere looms ever nearer and Merlin's fear intensifies. What game is Mordred playing? And what powerful secrets are Morgana and the druid Ruadan (Liam Cunningham) searching for amongst its twisted catacombs? It seems like this time, not even Merlin can stop Arthur from walking right into the lion's den...For in this bleak and transient wilderness, only one thing is certain: the great trial for Albion has finally begun.

I don't want to sound like i'm not a fan (I am) but i'd rather they ended the show properly say at the end of this series rather than repeatedly dragging it out. I mean if it was always meant to last 5 series and series 5 ends with Arthur's death i'd hope that would be it. Of course if he doesn't die or get morally wounded and they (TPTB), can still provide 13 good episodes then yes they can continue but i strongly believe the show should be allowed to come to it's natural conclusion and not just brought back year on year. I hope that makes sense!

boom-moo

[907]Sep 28, 2012
    It makes sense, Sarah

Same info here.

Katie and Angel (in spoilery costume) picture here.

Edited on 09/28/2012 12:43pm

BrightlyLit

[908]Sep 28, 2012
    • level: 5

So I see we'll have Queen Annis for the very first episode. I hadn't realized that. There doesn't seem to be a focus on her in the summary, so I'm wondering how she's going to fit into all this. She's not in the second episode and Alex isn't listed either I don't think, so I suppose Mordred won't be in the second part either? I hope we see Queen A later in the season again. She's a favorite of mine.

boom-moo

[909]Sep 28, 2012
    Queen Annis' kingdom is to the North of Camelot, so maybe Arthur meets her in his way to the Frozen lands of the North (to ask for safe passage through her kingdom maybe).

Not sure about Queen Annis but I'm pretty sure that Mordred will be in 5x02 as well. The link for 5x02 doesn't list the credits properly (they are a paragraph at the end of the synopsis and not a proper section). It was the same last year, and the cast got expanded when a proper cast list was given.

BrightlyLit

[910]Sep 28, 2012

boom-moo wrote:
    Queen Annis' kingdom is to the North of Camelot, so maybe Arthur meets her in his way to the Frozen lands of the North (to ask for safe passage through her kingdom maybe). Not sure about Queen Annis but I'm pretty sure that Mordred will be in 5x02 as well. The link for 5x02 doesn't list the credits properly (they are a paragraph at the end of the synopsis and not a proper section). It was the same last year, and the cast got expanded when a proper cast list was given.

Oh, ok. Now that you mention it I do remember sometimes the credits aren't listed properly. Good then.

And that makes sense if Queen A's kingdom is to the north. Looking forward to seeing the interaction between her and Arthur.

boom-moo

[911]Sep 28, 2012
    I spoke too fast Rechecking the map it doesn't seem necessary to go past Queen Annis' kingdom to reach the North.

Maybe it's her who alerts Arthur about the strange things happening in the North?

BrightlyLit

[912]Sep 28, 2012

Oh. Now I'm really curious. Something to look forward to in the first episode, to see what she's all about and how she fits into the general scheme of things. Thanks for the info, Boom-moo.

lilyflower1345

[913]Sep 28, 2012
    • level: 3

I have to admit that I do not like the idea the show ending with Arthur dying. I know its part of the legend, but its not something I want to see. I'd always hoped that they wouldn't include Camlann in the show at all, since the show is about building Camelot/Albion anyway. I'm hoping that everyone will think Arthur is dead, but he'll be saved somehow.

But I'm just worried that it'll end with Arthur dying, and that the reveal won't have been done well. I think I'll cry if the show ends with Arthur finding out about Merlin's magic, and then dying soon after without really dealing with it. Maybe I should be more hopeful. I was worried about how TPTB would handle the Gwen & Lancelot thing, and I liked how they did that. But TPTB have said in the past something to the effect of them not really focusing on the reveal. Which makes me worried that they'll gloss over it or ignore it. I'll be pretty disappointed if that happens.

The spoiler about Merlin and Arthur being more like equals sounds great. It fits the scene from the trailer where Arthur says "I swear I'll rescue my men" and Merlin tells him " and I swear I'll protect you or die at your side" They almost seemed like equals in the part, though we'll have to wait to see the whole thing to know for sure. But its about time they were more like equals.

PenguinSuzie

[914]Sep 29, 2012
    • level: 10

lilyflower1345 wrote:
    But I'm just worried that it'll end with Arthur dying, and that the reveal won't have been done well. I think I'll cry if the show ends with Arthur finding out about Merlin's magic, and then dying soon after without really dealing with it. Maybe I should be more hopeful. I was worried about how TPTB would handle the Gwen & Lancelot thing, and I liked how they did that. But TPTB have said in the past something to the effect of them not really focusing on the reveal. Which makes me worried that they'll gloss over it or ignore it. I'll be pretty disappointed if that happens.
    I actually really hated how they handled the whole Gwen/Lancelot thing, it felt kind of like a cop out . Somehow I'm still very optimistic about how they'll handle the end of the show. I would kind of like it if the end was the ultimate golden age of Camelot, even though it would be sad knowing that it's all down hill from there it would still be a positive way to end the show. It doesn't really bother me though if they end the show with Arthur dying, it's such a large and well known part of the legends. I think as long as they handled it well it could be a really good if sad ending. I just really hope that the reveal (if it happens) is handled satisfyingly, if they gloss over if or don't spend enough time on it or their isn't an emotional reaction or something it would be horrible and I'd rather they didn't do it than mess it up. I'm a little worried that they won't touch upon the reveal at all. Despite all they say about them bot thinking it's important, they've teased us enough with almost's and what if's that they definitely know it's something we speculate about a lot and really want to see. I just want Arthur and Merlin to have an open and equal friendship and that can never happen while Merlin is still hiding it from him.

yafu2

[915]Sep 29, 2012

In the legend Merlin is much older than Arthur. Arthur already knows of Merlin in the form of a old man though he doesn't know who it is. It's probable Arthur will realize the old wizard is on his side, but I doubt they intend for Arthur to ever find out the old man is Merlin using an aging spell. I don't think they have any intentions of there being a reveal.

Edited on 09/29/2012 8:07am

BrightlyLit

[916]Sep 29, 2012

lilyflower1345 wrote:

Oh I hope that doesn't happen! I want Arthur to find out and not at the very end either. Think about the good plot lines with Arthur knowing and dealing with Merlin's magic. We've had glimpses of Merlin in an advisory capacity in several situations and I like it. Many times Arthur didn't listen but afterwards realized Merlin's wisdom and honestly, they really need to grow that because both men came across positively when they do. I hope also that they'll minimize the silliness that still seemed to remain after Arthur became king, like them tussling on the floor and dragging the king out of bed, etc. I think the humor in 4x06 was better done on the part of all. But if Arthur knew about Merlin, I'm sure we could have some really meaningful interaction between the two and the whole wise wizard thing could begin to play out. I realize they've changed lots of things, like the age difference of the two men, but since it is what it is with their ages, it could still be done.

Oh do I ever agree with you about the A/G/L triangle. I dreaded that and worried about it since Season 2. I absolutely abhor that part of the legend introduced by Mallory or whoever it was, and of course it became popular because people seem to like that sort of thing I guess. But I grew to love the Arthur and Gwen of this telling so much I hated the thought of Lancelot messing it up. I think the main thing with me was that I didn't want her to be conflicted about who she truly loved and I felt satisfied that they found a way to have the "betrayal" that so many fans wanted but still leave her fidelity intact in a sense. So in the minds of Arthur himself and the other characters the betrayal happened but the audience alone knows the truth (other than Morgana). For some reason, people seem resentful of the fact that they didn't have her actually do it, even though they did, if that makes sense. So I guess the fact that Gwen and Lancelot's integrity remained in place is the sore point. To me if they were to cop out of the betrayal it would be if she shunned Lancelot like she did in the final episodes of season 3 with them moving on from it. But all in all, I think they did maintain the adult theme by having that intensely emotional scene where Arthur and Ag came into the room and found Gwen and Lancelot. To me that scene was so well done: the kiss, the look on Arthur's face when he saw them, the extremely violent fight between the two men, Gwen stepping in between them and Arthur's misconception of what that meant, shade!Lancelot's pleasure in that, etc. I still think that whole scene one of the most mature and powerful ones that the show has ever done, and I haven't even gotten to the Arthur/Gwen scene in the throne room.

From what I've heard in interviews, it's not going to be mentioned again and there will be no enchantment reveal. Many folks are upset by that, but I think I'm okay with it for the reasons above. Three seasons were spent on A/G struggles and troubles off and on so I hope they'll be a unit now and dealing with things together as it sounds. Not sure about the reason for the return of Mithian during the middle episodes, but I don't think it would be wise for them to resurface that triangle again. I think it wise that they focus on the whole Albion thing and how ALL the characters relate to that.

yafu2

[917]Sep 29, 2012

The problem I have with Gwen is that she was never a big part of the legend. They're ruining a lot of the story in order to keep her as a main character in the show. They're also giving her way too much influence that she never had in the legend. The same goes for Morgana by making her as powerful as they're making her and they really went over the top with how evil she is. They've strayed so far from the legend in some areas while insisting on following the legend in others and really it's just making for a confusing jumbled mess of story lines that have left huge gaping holes and at times a very confused audience.

Edited on 09/29/2012 10:13am
    Edited 2 total times.

Ivyteainn

[918]Sep 29, 2012
    • level: 1

The two overriding problems that Merlin has had over the past four run has been money and the production's desire for it to remain a "family show". This is why they handled the Lancelot/Gwen adultery like they did. It was poorly handled, but it was a hot potato that they didn't want to handle. The operating budget of Game of Thrones is much larger than Merlin, which allows that show to do more things than Merlin could ever hope to do. Don't get me wrong, the props and background are better today thanin season one, but the show simply needs more money for its production. I don't believe that the BBC are the most generous people in the world, even for a program that has done well over the years.

I really don't see how they could possibly end the show on a proper note in this upcoming season. The golden age of Camelot was supposed to run for twenty plus years. Albion isn't united yet and magic hasn't been restored. So they're going to do this all in one season? If they do, it will be shabby. Whether there is a 6th season or not, it would be foolish to end the season with King Arthur's death at Camlann since it closes any possible future ventures. You can't have a movie without a King Arthur.

Merlin could still be so much more with better script writers and more money for production. Things need to make more sense. For example, if Agravaine was killed by a dragon, why isn't Arthur asking "Where did that dragon come from?" Capps simply pays no attention to logical thinking. It may be a magical world, but even that world has its own sense of what is logical and what is not.

I'm hopeful that this new season will be better than ever. It's been billed as such. The plot needs to be deeper then it was last year. Modred simply can't be a replacement for Agravaine. If Arthur falls for yet another deception this year, then I know the writers are hopeless.

boom-moo

[919]Sep 29, 2012
    10 teasers for 5x01 Source.
    » ‘Patience and I are old friends.’

» ‘I heard many rumours Sire, all of them had one name in common: Morgana.’

» ‘The knights of Camelot do not abandon their own.’

» ‘A wise man is not cowed by knowledge, Merlin.’

» ‘I’d love to see your fool perform.’

» ‘They are Pendragons. They are good for one thing only… death!’

» ‘Good allies are hard to find. I’d hate to lose one.’

» ‘Navigation is not your strong point, is it?’

» ‘If only we had a horse.’

» ‘You know I never do as I’m told.’

Liviana178

[920]Sep 29, 2012
    • level: 3
    Spoiler-free review of 5x01 (in my opinion not spoiler-free at all):

http://www.cultbox.co.uk/reviews/episodes/4920-merlin-arthurs-bane-part-one-spoiler-free-review