Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

Series 5 spoilers thread

boom-moo

[921]Sep 29, 2012
    • level: 75
    boom-moo wrote:
    I spoke too fast Rechecking the map it doesn't seem necessary to go past Queen Annis' kingdom to reach the North.

"Arthur takes a path though the lands of Queen Annis" ---> Lol BrightlyLit, looks like Arthur is taking the scenic route after all

"Merlin remains the butt of some jokes, but he is also openly challenging Arthur’s decisions, choosing his own path and doing a nice sideline in putdowns. Tellingly Merlin does not appear to have a place at the Round Table, though he does ride at his master’s side. Those waiting on a magic reveal might not be too thrilled, but there are a few pointed lines in that direction." ----> Same old, same old then.

"Fans of naked male torsos should prepare themselves for plenty of shirtless action too" ----> Yay eyecandy!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

yafu2

[922]Sep 29, 2012
    • level: 4

Morgana seems bolder and more determined than ever, relishing having poor Gwaine in her power once again.

When did Morgana have Gwaine in her power? Did I miss that episode? This is what I can't stand about the writers and the producers.

boom-moo

[923]Sep 29, 2012
    yafu2 wrote:

Morgana seems bolder and more determined than ever, relishing having poor Gwaine in her power once again.

When did Morgana have Gwaine in her power? Did I miss that episode? This is what I can't stand about the writers and the producers.

4x12-4x13, she made him fight for food remember?

yafu2

[924]Sep 29, 2012

boom-moo wrote:
    yafu2 wrote:

4x12-4x13, she made him fight for food remember?

Oh yeah. I guess that counts.

BrightlyLit

[925]Sep 29, 2012
    • level: 5

boom-moo wrote:
    boom-moo wrote:
    I spoke too fast Rechecking the map it doesn't seem necessary to go past Queen Annis' kingdom to reach the North.
    "Arthur takes a path though the lands of Queen Annis" ---> Lol BrightlyLit, looks like Arthur is taking the scenic route after all

Oh, yay!!! Can't wait to see her!

yafu2 wrote:

The problem I have with Gwen is that she was never a big part of the legend. They're ruining a lot of the story in order to keep her as a main character in the show. They're also giving her way too much influence that she never had in the legend. The same goes for Morgana by making her as powerful as they're making her and they really went over the top with how evil she is. They've strayed so far from the legend in some areas while insisting on following the legend in others and really it's just making for a confusing jumbled mess of story lines that have left huge gaping holes and at times a very confused audience.

Oh, dear. Poor Gwen. Seems no matter what they do with her people complain, lol. Well it seems from the review for episode 1 her husband has indeed given her a lot of power and I for one am happy that she's a main character especially since she's my favorite, with Arthur and Merlin closely behind. Love them all. Happy from the review that it looks as though perhaps she'll have her own story too, as up until now folks always complained she had nothing to do apart from Arthur's love interest. Crossing my finger for that anyway.

Morgana is Merlin's darling evil villain and along with Gwen, has won the hearts of many a fan worldwide. Each has a following and this is what makes the show special. I think we as an audience will be much less confused if we don't hold on too tightly to any part of the legend and let the producers do as they have been, and wait to see what twist they give to each thing and realize we have to let some of our pet aspects of the legend fly out the window!!! LOL, I think they're having a great time with their "loosely based" Camelot retelling so we might as join in with them. I think maybe that's why I'm enjoying it as much as I do because I don't care a twit about sticking to any of the various versions I've read or heard about.

Edited on 09/29/2012 6:22pm

legend-dreamer

[926]Sep 30, 2012
    • level: 13

Here are two clips from "Arthur's Bane Part 1". These are from the Sunday Brunch show on Channel 4 in the UK that Richard Wilson and Katie McGrath appeared on today.

Okay, I will admit some of these became easier to answer after watching those video clips.

'Patience and I are old friends.' Morgana to Ruadon

'I heard many rumours Sire, all of them had one name in common: Morgana.' Elyan to Arthur

'The knights of Camelot do not abandon their own.' Arthur to Elyan, Gwen, Gaius, Merlin

'A wise man is not cowed by knowledge, Merlin.' Gaius to Merlin

'I'd love to see your fool perform.' Queen Annis to Arthur about Merlin

'They are Pendragons. They are good for one thing only… death!' ?

'Good allies are hard to find. I'd hate to lose one.' Arthur to Queen Annis

'Navigation is not your strong point, is it?' Merlin to Arthur or Arthur to Merlin

'If only we had a horse.' Arthur to Merlin or Merlin to Arthur

'You know I never do as I'm told.' Merlin to Arthur or Merlin to Gaius

Edited on 09/30/2012 7:18am
    Edited 3 total times.

yafu2

[927]Oct 1, 2012

BrightlyLit wrote:

boom-moo wrote:
    boom-moo wrote:

Oh, yay!!! Can't wait to see her!

yafu2 wrote:

The problem I have with Gwen is that she was never a big part of the legend. They're ruining a lot of the story in order to keep her as a main character in the show. They're also giving her way too much influence that she never had in the legend. The same goes for Morgana by making her as powerful as they're making her and they really went over the top with how evil she is. They've strayed so far from the legend in some areas while insisting on following the legend in others and really it's just making for a confusing jumbled mess of story lines that have left huge gaping holes and at times a very confused audience.

Oh, dear. Poor Gwen. Seems no matter what they do with her people complain, lol. Well it seems from the review for episode 1 her husband has indeed given her a lot of power and I for one am happy that she's a main character especially since she's my favorite, with Arthur and Merlin closely behind. Love them all. Happy from the review that it looks as though perhaps she'll have her own story too, as up until now folks always complained she had nothing to do apart from Arthur's love interest. Crossing my finger for that anyway.

Morgana is Merlin's darling evil villain and along with Gwen, has won the hearts of many a fan worldwide. Each has a following and this is what makes the show special. I think we as an audience will be much less confused if we don't hold on too tightly to any part of the legend and let the producers do as they have been, and wait to see what twist they give to each thing and realize we have to let some of our pet aspects of the legend fly out the window!!! LOL, I think they're having a great time with their "loosely based" Camelot retelling so we might as join in with them. I think maybe that's why I'm enjoying it as much as I do because I don't care a twit about sticking to any of the various versions I've read or heard about.

I have nothing against Gwen, but I have issue with holding Merlin back and stunting the story in order to give these two women more of a story line. Those story lines wouldn't bother me at all if they were going in a direction that had absolutely nothing to do with the legend and following of the legend but they are and that's where it gets muddy. If you're going to insist that you're following the legend then follow it and put Merlin in his rightful place in it. If you're not and you're going to make new stories and put your own spin on it and give these 2 women bigger roles than what they actually had in the legends then do that. But the way they are trying to do both is making for a mess of a story that the writers and producers themselves can't seem to keep straight and leaves huge gaping holes that never get answered. As a fan that's frustrating.

Also the show is called Merlin. It's not calledCamelot. It's not called Arthur. It's not called Arthur and the Knights. It's not called Arthur and Gwen. It's called Merlin. If you're going to build these characters like Gwen and the Knights up that is fine, but to build Gwen up at the expense of Merlin and have her fill a role that is held solely by him in the legend while claiming they're getting closer to the legend is frustrating for many.

Edited on 10/01/2012 12:05am

boom-moo

[928]Oct 1, 2012
    10 new teasers for 5x01 via GeekSyndicate this time Source:
    1 “******, is there anything you’re actually capable of doing?”"
    2 “Patience and I are old friends"
    3 It’s raining men hallelujah! Two in particular" ****** and *****.
    4 Someone’s got a new ‘do!
    5 “It’s fine really, I’m the one who should apologize."
    6 “I have been haunted by this moment..."
    7 ***** has a surprise for ****** with interesting results.
    8 “Come on, out with it. What’s wrong?"
    9 I’ve got a theory, it could be bunnies?
    10 “You know I never do as I’m told.”

GeekSyndicate on set interview with Eoin and Rupert here and article here.

They are filming the ending scene for the TV sceries 'Merlin' at Huntsham this morning. My step-daughter is very excited Source.

Edited on 10/01/2012 2:50am
    Edited 2 total times.

SoSeriously

[929]Oct 1, 2012
    • level: 1

yafu2 wrote:

I have nothing against Gwen, but I have issue with holding Merlin back and stunting the story in order to give these two women more of a story line. Those story lines wouldn't bother me at all if they were going in a direction that had absolutely nothing to do with the legend and following of the legend but they are and that's where it gets muddy. If you're going to insist that you're following the legend then follow it and put Merlin in his rightful place in it. If you're not and you're going to make new stories and put your own spin on it and give these 2 women bigger roles than what they actually had in the legends then do that. But the way they are trying to do both is making for a mess of a story that the writers and producers themselves can't seem to keep straight and leaves huge gaping holes that never get answered. As a fan that's frustrating.

Also the show is called Merlin. It's not calledCamelot. It's not called Arthur. It's not called Arthur and the Knights. It's not called Arthur and Gwen. It's called Merlin. If you're going to build these characters like Gwen and the Knights up that is fine, but to build Gwen up at the expense of Merlin and have her fill a role that is held solely by him in the legend while claiming they're getting closer to the legend is frustrating for many.

[/QUOTE]

Gosh I'm hoping you realize that this is your opinion. Fanfiction is an option for those who seem to dislike what the creators of this show is doing. The title of the show does not mean that it's focus will be on Merlin as a person...in this case it's about how Merlin affects the Legendary King of Camelot. Arthur is the focus of everyone on this show...esp. Merlin.

There are other options for those who feel that those icky girls are getting in the way. LOL.

Edited on 10/01/2012 8:21am

boom-moo

[930]Oct 1, 2012
    -Sept report here and pictures here thanks to morgainependragon.

PenguinSuzie

[931]Oct 1, 2012
    • level: 10

boom-moo wrote:
    1 "******, is there anything you're actually capable of doing?""
    Arthur to Merlin, or Morgana to Davos (I don't know the actual characters name so Davos it is)
    boom-moo wrote:
    2 "Patience and I are old friends"
    Wasn't that from the clips. Morgana was it?
    boom-moo wrote:
    3 It's raining men hallelujah! Two in particular" ****** and *****.
    Gwaine and Elyan?
    boom-moo wrote:
    4 Someone's got a new 'do!
    Gaius, or Gwen.
    boom-moo wrote:
    5 "It's fine really, I'm the one who should apologize."
    Mordred to Merlin maybe. Or Arthur to Merlin.
    boom-moo wrote:
    6 "I have been haunted by this moment..."
    Merlin to Mordred maybe? Or something to do with the woman who see the future and showing Merlin the fate he fears most.
    boom-moo wrote:
    7 ***** has a surprise for ****** with interesting results.
    Gaius or Elyan has a surprise for Merlin or Arthur. I would guess it's Gaius has a surprise for Merlin.
    boom-moo wrote:
    8 "Come on, out with it. What's wrong?"
    Arthur to Merlin.
    boom-moo wrote:
    9 I've got a theory, it could be bunnies?
    "Bunnies! It must be BUNNIES!" I'm sorry I couldn't resist. Gaius maybe. Or Merlin trying to offer a simple explanation to Arthur without giving away that he knows or suspects more.
    boom-moo wrote:
    10 "You know I never do as I'm told."
    Merlin.

SoSeriously wrote:
    The title of the show does not mean that it's focus will be on Merlin as a person...in this case it's about how Merlin affects the Legendary King of Camelot. Arthur is the focus of everyone on this show...esp. Merlin.
    It's a cast show, but Merlin is still the main character. It started off being a lot more about his journey and how he would create the legends with Arthur. Over the seasons it became a lot, lot, lot more about focusing on all the other characters but Merlin and that is quite frustrating. Personally I just want more stories that focus on Merlin, since it's almost always just that he is part of other people's stories and journeys and fixing everything for others, rarely do we have an episode where the story is JUST about him. Hopefully there is more focus on him this season. Whereas most characters have several episodes a season dedicated to a story surrounding them. There's a difference between focus and screen time.
    SoSeriously wrote:
    There are other options for those who feel that those icky girls are getting in the way. LOL.
    Huh? Please don't imply that problems have anything to do with shipping or gender or anything like that, because they don't.

Edited on 10/01/2012 9:04am
    Edited 4 total times.

boom-moo

[932]Oct 1, 2012
    PenguinSuzie wrote:

Arthur to Merlin, or Morgana to Davos (I don't know the actual characters name so Davos it is)

Lol it's Ruadan

PenguinSuzie

[933]Oct 1, 2012
    boom-moo wrote:
    Lol it's Ruadan
    Thanks!

boom-moo

[934]Oct 1, 2012
    -Sept 12th vid here thanks to Carlossphyrrus.

yafu2

[935]Oct 1, 2012

SoSeriously wrote:

I don't have a problem with the girls or them having story lines. I have a problem with how far they deviate from the legend while insisting on getting closer to the legend and how it ends. If they're going to make their own story then make it. If they're going to follow the legends then do that or find some place comfortably in the middle, but them swinging so wildly between the two extreme ends of the spectrum is incredibly frustrating and even they are getting lost in their story telling. If they as the writers can't keep their story straight and keep backtracking and changing things to fit with a wild deviation to the story they claim they are trying to portray then how can they expect me as a viewer to follow along without confusion and frustration.

I understand some people really love Gwen and Morgana blah blah. That's fine. What I'm saying has nothing to do about my favorite character.

PenguinSuzie wrote:

It's a cast show, but Merlin is still the main character. It started off being a lot more about his journey and how he would create the legends with Arthur. Over the seasons it became a lot, lot, lot more about focusing on all the other characters but Merlin and that is quite frustrating. Personally I just want more stories that focus on Merlin, since it's almost always just that he is part of other people's stories and journeys and fixing everything for others, rarely do we have an episode where the story is JUST about him. Hopefully there is more focus on him this season. Whereas most characters have several episodes a season dedicated to a story surrounding them. There's a difference between focus and screen time.

Exactly. Early in Season 4 they did a massive change of direction and focus. Many fans still have whiplash and are trying to figure out what in the heck they're doing..

Anyway -

Found this on Youtube I hadn't seen it before so not sure if this one has been posted here. It's another promo and for the most part it's the same as the others but there are a few new scenes in it that I hadn't seen before. One with Gwaine and one of a what I'm assuming is the mines http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZMnSB5RMHM If it's been posted already my apologies.

Edited on 10/01/2012 10:18am
    Edited 2 total times.

boom-moo

[936]Oct 1, 2012
    It was yafu2. You can find them all in post #4 if you are interested

boom-moo wrote:
    They are filming the ending scene for the TV sceries 'Merlin' at Huntsham this morning. My step-daughter is very excited Source.
    Eoin posted this picture. I think I can spy Puzzlewodd (Grettir's bridge?) and Justin Molotnikov. Guess it's a second unit and the other one was at the farm.

BrightlyLit

[937]Oct 1, 2012
    • level: 5

yafu2 wrote:

I understand some people really love Gwen and Morgana blah blah. That's fine. What I'm saying has nothing to do about my favorite character.

PenguinSuzie wrote:

Exactly. Early in Season 4 they did a massive change of direction and focus. Many fans still have whiplash and are trying to figure out what in the heck they're doing..

I don't think we should tie up the spoiler thread with these discussions, and we all do have our opinions, so I won't go on and on. I made the favorite character comment only because of what you had said about them going off from the legend in order to keep her as a main character. I guess I was only trying to say that for quite a few people like me what they have done has worked and we do appreciate the character. I understand the frustration of some who want the Merlin focus but the producers have made it clear that they are going to have the multi-stranded story lines because they worked last year, which means they must have found out they drew a wide variety of audience. I'm sure there are a lot of reasons for some fans being resentful of what the show is doing, but I think they've found they are gaining from all over the world each year, and the fact that they have deviated from the original course hasn't hampered that.

To me they haven't strictly adhered to the legends at no one point or area, just "borrowed" from various aspects of the legend all along the way. At the very outset of the show we see all the deviations right away, with Merlin and Arthur being same age and I hear very few complaints about that. Seems the romance (basically Gwen) is a sore spot for some and it's when that became more an issue, hence the rise in complaints about the show being about Merlin. So again I just wanted to point out there are some who like some romance in a show but I still feel it's basically an adventure progrm when you look at the amount of time allotted for all aspects. IMO Merlin very much IS the central figure. How he relates to and impacts all the other characters affects what he is all about: "The destiny of a great kingdom rests on the shoulders of a young man." I think that's been the focus of the show, not his personal story; he influences and affects everything and everyone. His relationship and discussions with Gaius and the dragon propel the show along. His relationship with Arthur is of course central to Camelot's survival, even to his recognition of who destiny would have as Arthur's bride. Without him, Arthur's mistakes would have destroyed him and Camelot. Merlin is the one who knows what's right for Arthur, even those things we may not like personally. To me, the producers have been consistent and for me anyway it's difficult to say the show is not about Merlin. Maybe it's not what some want for him, but it's definitely about him.

I've been watching the trailers and reviews carefully. It's obvious that the show is going to follow the same course of Arthur, Merlin, and others dealing with various sorts of threats against Camelot. I would be highly surprised if this threat coming from the north, with the ones posed by Morgana and Ruadan, do not get met fully by not Arthur, not the knights, not Gwen, but Merlin. It's been that way throughout and out of 52 episodes so far, you would be hard pressed to find five that when all was said and done he hadn't saved the day by use of either magic or his wisdom. And is that not in line with the legendary Merlin? Even Arthur has had some episodes where he's barely seen (e.g. "The Sorceror's Shadow and Aithusa), but seldom Merlin. And they've even given him two identities, the young one and the old one. Another deviation from legend that incorporates it at the same time. Personally, I think they've been pretty clever with much that they've done, making it a very unique blend of legend and resourcefulness, albeit heavy-handed with the use of enchantments. But then again, what does magic do better, lol?

Well, I guess I did go on and on and my apologies moderators. Done with the subject as we're all going to go on with our own opinions anyway. Judging from that Facebook post a couple of days ago, this show certainly does have a plethora of people from across the globe eagerly anticipating the beginning of a new season, so I'll assume they consider themselves successful and heck what does any one of us know???

Edited on 10/01/2012 12:48pm

fernajen

[938]Oct 1, 2012
    • level: 3

yafu2 wrote:

I have a problem with how far they deviate from the legend while insisting on getting closer to the legend and how it ends. If they're going to make their own story then make it. If they're going to follow the legends then do that or find some place comfortably in the middle, but them swinging so wildly between the two extreme ends of the spectrum is incredibly frustrating and even they are getting lost in their story telling. If they as the writers can't keep their story straight and keep backtracking and changing things to fit with a wild deviation to the story they claim they are trying to portray then how can they expect me as a viewer to follow along without confusion and frustration.

Just because they aren't beingconsistentabout how closely they follow thelegendsdoesn't bad writing. It actually abrilliantway of handling thing. Think about with any given legend you several different versions of the same story. If you're pretending that the characters of that story were real then logic dictates the truth has been muddled. Thus some elements of the tale in someversionis spot on. But on the other hand there are going to be so wildly off that no one is likely to guess the truth. The writers choosing not always cuddlecloselywith the legends or completely deviate from it isn't a sign ofincompetencefar from it. It's a sign of understanding logic.

Connor91

[939]Oct 1, 2012
    • level: 6
    Are people really saying that the show focuses too much on Gwen and Morgana, at the expense of Merlin? Merlin is by far the most developed character in the show. To have people say that Gwen, who has barely changed at all since s1, and Morgana, whose personality did a complete 180 overnight without any explanation at all, are more developed than a character who has been through just about every emotion/life situation possible on the show, is just completely baffling to me.

I would take a multi-stranded plot, with conflicting and conflicted core characters, over the s1 and 2 formula of 'monster/magic problem - merlin makes mistake - merlin resolves mistake - merlin uses magic to save the day'.

PenguinSuzie

[940]Oct 1, 2012

IMHO It's more about Merlin in Arthur and the others stories than it is about Merlin. He has a lot of screen time, he's the main character and he's involved in absolutely everything, I would just like to see some episodes and plots that are actually about him, the focal point of a plot instead of him just being a large part of other people's storylines. I hope he has some really emotionally heavy interaction with Mordred. I'd really like to see a plot where he tried to keep him on his side. Sway him away from Morgana and becoming Arthur's killer, with a serious dilemma for Mordred. I hope it's not just that he's so silent and blank towards Merlin that you can't tell his allegiance for a while because that could end up missing a good opportunity for storytelling. I really want to see the dilemma to believe that he's part of Arthur's backing team.

Edited on 10/01/2012 5:10pm
    Edited 2 total times.