Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

Series 5 spoilers thread

ACDiNosey

[961]Oct 5, 2012
    • level: 28
    The huge spoiler has already been talked about here, it's about Uther's return
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

legend-dreamer

[962]Oct 5, 2012
    • level: 13
    Chayiana wrote:

Here's an audio interview with Julian Jones recorded by Geek Syndicate! Apparantly, there's a huuuuuge spoiler right at the end, so listen carefully! I haven't listen to it yet... it's about 1 hour 15 minutes long.

As AC mentioned, it is the spoiler that was already revealed at SDCC in July about Uther's cameo return, which we now know will be in episode 3 of the current season. If you watch the new teaser trailer carefully you see a quick scene of Arthur looking at what looks like a stone likeness of Uther (time stamp 1:02).

I was super excited and skipped to the end, then I had to listen twice to make sure that I hadn't missed anything else. I was expecting a new spoiler. *sighs* At least we have the start of Merlin this weekend!!!

boom-moo

[963]Oct 5, 2012
    • level: 75
    Cultbox 10 5x01 teasers here.

» Prepare for some howling!

» Someone knows how to make an entrance.

» “You’re not looking so pretty now, are you, Sir Knight?”

» Sometimes a King and his servant just need a night to hang together.

» Gwaine receives some unexpected assistance.

» There’s something in the water.

» Merlin reveals a hitherto unseen talent to command an audience.

» It’s a bad day for rabbits.

» Arthur is not the only one to endure an unreliable servant.

» “Run!”

Cultfix 12 5x01 teasers here.
    -Morgana and Gwaine get to re-enact a scene from last year
    -Perhaps Merlin should have joined the circus
    -Gwen’s new servant Sefa (Sophie Rundle) has a secret
    -Kilgharrah finally gets a new patch to talk to Merlin in
    -No sign of Aithusa
    -Gwaine is beaten up. A lot!
    -Gwen gives an rather surprising order
    -Ruadan (Liam Cunningham) has a hidden weapon, but not for long
    -Gwaine makes an interesting new “friend”
    -We see someone major meet a pointy end
    -Subtext of the week: Merlin and Arthur sleep together. As do...
    -...a shirtless Gwaine and Percival

What are you looking forward to in Season 5? video here (includes a brief 5x01 scene).

Another 5x01 preview here.

Interview with Merlin costume designer here.

-Gwen and Arthur are a good team, they confide in each other, they trust each other and they seem to be ruling very well as a partnership. They're very close.
    -The friendship between Gwen and Merlin is definitely still there. Perhaps the only difference is he now sometimes calls her, 'My lady' She still respects him hugely and asks him for advice if she needs it.
    -Gwen doesn’t have too many scenes with Mordred.
    -There's quite an exciting juicy storyline involving Gwen and Morgana.
    -Gwen is not much of an action queen. She does take charge at times definitely - she's very much involved in the court and the council. She's not a silent partner... but she doesn't wield a sword.
    -You can see Gwen being quite ruthless in this series, which is something you won't have seen before Source.

Bradley and Colin audio interview here.

-Arthur is more prepared to deal with Morgana this time "he is not a rookie anymore. However, Arthur still holds out some hope that he can bring her back to her senses and that they can get back to the way they were. If he could save Morgana, he would jump at the opportunity. But he can't because she's gone little bit psychotic and passed the point of no return. So as always, Arthur must concentrate on his primary responsibility, which is to defend Camelot.
    -In Merlin, Arthur has a very loyal friend who keeps him on his toes. Arthur enjoys those challenges, and there is a lot of great banter between them. Meanwhile, in Arthur, Merlin has a friend he can really rely on. Merlin knows that when it comes the crunch Arthur will always do the right thing. Arthur is a great man to have by your side in a crisis. They also have a great rapport and enjoy each other's company" despite not admitting that! The fact that Arthur always brings Merlin along on the most dangerous missions without any chainmail shows how much he needs him. Merlin never says, "Shouldn't I be wearing armour? I'm completely ill-prepared for this mission." He just accepts it, as he has been doing it for years Source.

-Merlin’s life's goal is still to get magic accepted. But the kingdom is the most settled it has ever been, and Merlin does not want to do anything that risks that. Arthur associates magic with fear, conflict and betrayal, and for Merlin to be connected to that would be a bad idea. However, as the series builds, Merlin is gradually bringing Arthur towards the point of confronting magic in the most dramatic fashion. It's very exciting, and people will want to see that. It's been Merlin’s big dream, but whether it goes to plan or not is another story Source.

-In series 4, you still had vestiges of an uncertain, unconfident Morgana. She still had Agravaine there for support. Now in series 5 she is on her own, and entirely in control. She's the boss. She's become extremely powerful, a force to be reckoned with Source.

-Gwen is now Queen and is taking the role very, very seriously. She's become the Queen I always thought she would be. She has all the characteristics for the role. She is innocent, strong, humble but noble. She possesses that a great humanity, kindness and love, but at the same time she's not afraid to stand up and say what she thinks. She's very honest because she has realised that quality is very important in her new role. However, she can also be quite ruthless as she is fiercely protective of Arthur and the kingdom. She has to make decisions which are quite harsh, but they are all done in the name of defending the ones she loves.
    -Arthur has changed and become much more responsible. He now takes much more notice of his heart, he's not ashamed of his emotions anymore. Guinevere has deep respect for him. They work together very well and make a really good team. He confides in her and respects her opinion. -Gwen and Merlin are still very good friends. He knows that she is Queen and he must respect that, but they’re still good mates. She approves of Merlin's influence on Arthur. All the same, she would never want to get in the way of Merlin's relationship with Arthur. -Guinevere is less worried for her own safety and more concerned for Arthur and the kingdom Source.

-Mordred is still a druid, but now he is very ambiguous. You never quite know where his allegiances lie.
    -Mordred hasn’t seen Morgana for eight years. He's been searching for her for six months and expecting the motherly figure he left behind who looked after him as a boy. So when he first finds her, he is over the moon. His emotions get the better of him, and he is overjoyed that the mission is complete. He's soon taken aback to discover what Morgana has become. She loses her rag and turns on him. He's really shocked by this woman in front of him. She has grown up, her life experiences have changed her into someone completely different. Mordred has been on a quest to find Morgana. I think when it's finally realised, the audience will expect big hugs all around, but in typical Merlin fashion, expectations are immediately flipped on their head.
    -Beforehand, he was 100 per cent loyal to her. Now he has seen how she has changed, one per cent of doubt enters his mind, and things begin to unravel. Once you lose trust in someone so close, it's hard to get that back. That scintilla of doubt clouds his relationship with Morgana. That's the arc of this amazing series.
    -Mordred is torn, caught in the middle of Arthur and Morgana. They are two people pulling in opposite directions. And he's the rope in between them Source.

-Gary Lewis, who plays Alator, is coming back Source.

-Liam Cunningham pops up in series five's opening two-parter 'Arthur's Bane' as Ruadan, a no-good sort with magical powers who may present an enormous threat to Camelot.
    -John Bradley will be popping up as a stable boy named Tyr Seward Source.

Angel and Katie video interview here.

-September pics here thanks to MerlinItaliano.
    -September pics here (album has been updated) thanks to MorgainePendragon.

(Apparently the following tweets have been removed)
    -Caerphilly Castle: After 2 days of shooting we say goodbye for the final time,it's been a pleasure to have worked with you over the years Source.
    -Caerphilly Castle: as far as we know this is the final series of Merlin... But you never know???

Barry Aird to play Beroun in two s5 episodes directed by Justin Molotnikov and Declan O'Dwyer Source.

Someone got a reply back from MK and apparently they are resorting the galleries and redesigning the site. In the meantime, all (I believe) the new s5 pics can be seen here.

Edited on 10/05/2012 3:05pm
    Edited 7 total times.

PendragonLady

[964]Oct 5, 2012
    • level: 4

boom-moo wrote:

Mordred is still a druid, but now he is very ambiguous. You never quite know where his allegiances lie. -Mordred hasn't seen Morgana for eight years. He's been searching for her for six months and expecting the motherly figure he left behind who looked after him as a boy. So when he first finds her, he is over the moon. His emotions get the better of him, and he is overjoyed that the mission is complete. He's soon taken aback to discover what Morgana has become. She loses her rag and turns on him. He's really shocked by this woman in front of him. She has grown up, her life experiences have changed her into someone completely different. Mordred has been on a quest to find Morgana. I think when it's finally realised, the audience will expect big hugs all around, but in typical Merlin fashion, expectations are immediately flipped on their head. -Beforehand, he was 100 per cent loyal to her. Now he has seen how she has changed, one per cent of doubt enters his mind, and things begin to unravel. Once you lose trust in someone so close, it's hard to get that back. That scintilla of doubt clouds his relationship with Morgana. That's the arc of this amazing series. -Mordred is torn, caught in the middle of Arthur and Morgana. They are two people pulling in opposite directions. And he's the rope in between them Source.

So if he hasn't seen her for for eight years (since "The Witch's Quickening") and there is a gap of 1 year between S2 and S3, another 1 year gap between S3 and S4, and a three year gap between S4 and S5, that covers five of the eight years. Thus, the implication would be that S3 and S4 each cover about eighteen months at most to account for the remaining three years. So Merlin would have been in Camelot for 9, 10 years by the time S5 opens, which would make him about 28, 29 and Arthur 31? Crikey.

Edited on 10/05/2012 5:28pm

smilegreen

[965]Oct 5, 2012
    • level: 3

I'm so excited! and basically caught up to this thread! =) I'm hoping there are live-stream links so I can watch it immediately. Lol I have about 5 assessments due this fortnight and I really should be putting watcing Merlin off until they're done but no way!

With regards to spoilers - lol at Uther actually coming back (I think it was on this forum how common logic meant that no character truly stayed dead and I joked about Uther coming back)

I can take most spoilers with good grace - time jump, Morgana stronger, Merlin no status change, no Asa - I'm just completely devastated about Aithusa =( I'm hoping that speculation about Morgana's necklace controlling 'her' is true.

Edited on 10/05/2012 5:56pm

PenguinSuzie

[966]Oct 5, 2012
    • level: 10

PendragonLady wrote:
    So if he hasn't seen her for for eight years (since "The Witch's Quickening") and there is a gap of 1 year between S2 and S3, another 1 year gap between S3 and S4, and a three year gap between S4 and S5, that covers five of the eight years. Thus, the implication would be that S3 and S4 each cover about eighteen months at most to account for the remaining three years. So Merlin would have been in Camelot for 9, 10 years by the time S5 opens, which would make him about 28, 29 and Arthur 31? Crikey.
    You've got to count the time that was covered during each season though, and if each season was over a year then the start of S5 will have been 7 years since S2 ended, if they count random months between the time of the episode where she last saw him and the end of S2 and add up more time between certain points then I could believe that it's been 8 years. (Mordred isn't in the first episode apparently though either, it's probably not a lot of time that passes before his appearance though, I would some dramatic point in EP2.)

Arthur will be about 30, with Merlin at about 28/9 (I never thought he was any more than 2 years younger than Arthur, though I think there's less time between their ages than that.) Morgana is suppose to be older than Arthur so assuming that she's at least 2 years older she'll be 32, Gwen is the oldest of the four (It's difficult to even really guess how many years older Morgana/Gwen are)

smilegreen wrote:
    I'm just completely devastated about Aithusa =( I'm hoping that speculation about Morgana's necklace controlling 'her' is true.
    I agree so much. He was like their hope. I so hope she's just using some sort of amulet to control him. I find it kind of difficult to start referring to Aithusa as a she, even the actors still call Aithusa a him in interviews etc which makes it harder to do.

Edited on 10/05/2012 6:42pm

West3rd

[967]Oct 5, 2012
    • level: 11

Angel & Bradley interview (no spoilers) Newsbeat.

Mail Online Interview (spoilers) here.

Chayiana

[968]Oct 6, 2012
    • level: 6

ACDiNosey wrote:
    The huge spoiler has already been talked about here, it's about Uther's return

Yeah, I learned about that right after I posted it here. They made such a fuss about something which was officially announced months ago!

But I've got another cast spoiler, I stumbled upon this morning, and I'm really happy about it: Alator's coming back! Source Not sure if this has been posted before, but at least for me this was new. ^^

Edit: Okay I just saw that BM has posted it already, my bad, I only looked up the cast spoilers on the first page.

Edited on 10/06/2012 4:17am

boom-moo

[969]Oct 6, 2012
    Chayiana wrote:

Okay I just saw that BM has posted it already, my bad, I only looked up the cast spoilers on the first page.

Sorry but I have run out of space to keep editing the summary posts (there's a 20,000 character limit per post and links take up a lot of characters). I have to see if I can summarize a bit existing info to keep adding new one. Looks like saving 10 posts wasn't enough!

West3rd wrote:

Mail Online Interview (spoilers) here.

Cool, I'm intrigued by this scene. Arthur seems to save Gwen from drowning, and Gwen seems to drown willingly (maybe enchanted?). -The king is to be ambushed as he rides through a forest to rescue some imprisoned knights. His brave mission turns into a fierce battle, with an abundance of axes, maces, fire and broadswords.
    -Camelot has settled down well under my rule. I’m not as arrogant as I was when I was a young prince, and I listen to Merlin’s advice a lot more now. We still disagree on some things, but I’ve learnt a few manners and am gradually becoming a noble king, thanks to him. -Gwen is now fiercely protective of the Camelot kingdom and her husband Arthur. She is much more confident than she ever was before and can be quite ruthless when it comes to protecting the people she cares about. But she still has that humble heart that she’s always possessed.

Cast and crew ‘Thank you’ vid here.

-There was always a five-year plan for the BBC’s lavish adaptation of the Arthurian legend, which took Merlin and Arthur back to their boyhoods. But there had been recent talk that, because of its success, it would get one more series.
    -It’s a conversation to have with the boys upstairs and that will happen when we’ve finished filming.
    -A big part of that is Merlin becoming more focused and becoming more of the advisor role that he is always meant to take.”
    -Although Merlin is more of an advisor to Arthur, he is still a servant. But if Merlin got upgraded things would be different, and I don’t think Arthur wants things to change because the relationship works the way it is Source.

Some more articles (no new information though):

Article 1.
    Article 2.
    Article 3.
    Article 4.
    Article 5.

"A Behind-the-Scenes Look at Merlin", Gwen and Katie interviews here.

5x02 preview here and trailer here.

Edited on 10/06/2012 1:06pm
    Edited 7 total times.

Connor91

[970]Oct 6, 2012
    • level: 6
    smilegreen wrote:

I'm so excited! and basically caught up to this thread! =) I'm hoping there are live-stream links so I can watch it immediately. Lol I have about 5 assessments due this fortnight and I really should be putting watcing Merlin off until they're done but no way!

With regards to spoilers - lol at Uther actually coming back (I think it was on this forum how common logic meant that no character truly stayed dead and I joked about Uther coming back)

I can take most spoilers with good grace - time jump, Morgana stronger, Merlin no status change, no Asa - I'm just completely devastated about Aithusa =( I'm hoping that speculation about Morgana's necklace controlling 'her' is true.

See, I quite like the Aithusa thing and hope it isn't another enchantment. I think its quite nice to have someone sort of 'innocent' actually chose to side with Morgana, as most of her other allies have been jaded by Uther/uneducated as to what Camelot will be like in the future. I quite like the that someone who is meant to be 'good' has sided with her out of choice, it shows that she kinda has a point (which I think she does, albeit her way of achieving that point is a tad extreme haha).

boom-moo

[971]Oct 6, 2012
    What do you think Mordred will do next? Alex Vlahos on Mordred here.

dinamo

[972]Oct 6, 2012

Connor91 wrote:

See, I quite like the Aithusa thing and hope it isn't another enchantment. I think its quite nice to have someone sort of 'innocent' actually chose to side with Morgana, as most of her other allies have been jaded by Uther/uneducated as to what Camelot will be like in the future. I quite like the that someone who is meant to be 'good' has sided with her out of choice, it shows that she kinda has a point (which I think she does, albeit her way of achieving that point is a tad extreme haha).[/QUOTE]

I think Aithusa was in the trailer for the next episode so its possible that we won't have to wait too long to find out how things look to be shaping up with that situation.I agree with you that I hope its an innocent relationship and in some way humanises Morgana and shows a bit more of a softer side to her. The writers have made her so one dimensional in the last few series it'd be nice to see something else of her for once and also to maybe use it to give her a bit of hope that the future might be brighter as well.

yafu2

[973]Oct 6, 2012
    • level: 4

The Euchdag/Diamair is a creature that carries a great burden – the gift of all-knowledge. Shy and elusive, she has been driven underground by those desperate to seek her out.

http://merlin.wikia.com/wiki/Euchdag

Don't know how accurate that is but that would explain the creepy alien thing.

boom-moo

[974]Oct 7, 2012
    It makes sense. I assume that many before Morgana have been searching for her and hence that she chooses to remain hidden until the right one to claim her, ot at least to get access to her knowledge, turns up. Alienish and all her features were gentle and she definitely had a goodie vibe.

Frances Tomelty to play Disir Source.

Article about Welsh extras, including 11 year old Sara Lois who gets to play a part in Merlin s5 here:

-In Merlin I turned from a girl into a dragon. I got to meet the cast and spoke to them. It was really good. They filmed that in Snowdonia and there was a lot of waiting around but I do enjoy it.

Edited on 10/07/2012 2:42am

PenguinSuzie

[975]Oct 7, 2012
    As the voice of Aithusa?

boom-moo

[976]Oct 7, 2012
    PenguinSuzie wrote:
    As the voice of Aithusa?
    I'm not sure. I've heard that Aithusa appears in ep 2 as a grown up dragon, big and dark skinned and apparently mute/refusing to talk.

dinamo

[977]Oct 7, 2012

boom-moo wrote:
    PenguinSuzie wrote:
    As the voice of Aithusa?
    I'm not sure. I've heard that Aithusa appears in ep 2 as a grown up dragon, big and dark skinned and apparently mute/refusing to talk.

Do you think that the dragon in the trailer was Aithusa because it seemed quite light skinned to me and was cetainly bigger than before, or could it have been a wyvern or something? i hope they make it clear from the start that Aithusa is helping Morgana freely or otherwise, I don't want it to drag on forever of is it a choice or is she being controlled etc. Aithusa doing it willing would also add some more shades or grey to the series that its often lacked in the past.

boom-moo

[978]Oct 7, 2012
    I think it is Aithusa indeed. In ep 2 she appears at least 3 times:
    -She attacks Merlin and Arthur.
    -Merlin confronts her.
    -She saves Morgana's life, who has been knocked out and left to her fate in Ismere).

PenguinSuzie

[979]Oct 7, 2012
    wrote:
    Aithusa doing it willing would also add some more shades or grey to the series that its often lacked in the past.
    I'm all for shades of grey in the series but I really hope Aithusa hasn't just decided to help Morgana kill everyone and take over. There's only two dragons left (I hope somewhere in the series there happens to be more, but it's unlikely. I would assume that Uther wouldn't have gone all around the world though) so Aithusa's betrayal would strike a very deep chord with the characters. I think it would be really sad if it turned out she'd picked Morgana (why would she?) over Kilgharrah.

Ivyteainn

[980]Oct 7, 2012
    • level: 1
    LAST NIGHT'S EPISODE

Modred is the "bane that stalks Arthur". Whether Modred realizes that yet, or is confused about his feelings towards Arthur, I cannot say. I like that Merlin has become assertive with Arthur , even though he should be sitting at a table, not serving wine at this point. People can argue that he is a servant, but he has become much more than that. If Gwen is Queen, Merlin can have a higher position. I don't think that Merlin has advanced the cause of magic very far. So, in that respect, he's failing his "life mission". The scenery was excellent, The overall production was a set higher. Merlin could have used his magic in the Saxon trap discreetly, but chose not to. That could have been done before Arthur was hurt. It might have changed the course of the battle and saved many Camelot footmen and knights their lives. Liam Cunningham is excellent. I wish that he could be retained as an Arthurian foil. He is rudder for Morgana. Merlin's judgment when Arthur and him were caught in the trap was lacking. Morgana's men might have left him go and he could have discreetly used magic from a distance to free Arthur. Arthur is much more like the King that we would believe him to be. I was impressed with the character last night. Gwen certainly came a long way. She was perceptive and intelligence. Perhaps more pragmatic than Arthur. I feel sorry that Merlin has lost himself in Arthur so much. He is overplaying the role of enabler to Arthur. I would hope that Merlin reveals his magic this season, but his closeted state but I doubt Johnny Capps has interest in it because of the story lines. I have it an excellent rating because the over all production was better than last year. It has traveled very far from Season One. Maybe Modred does kill Arthur in the final episode and Merlin takes Arthur to the Isle of Blessed to save him using the cup of life. The Battle of Camlann doesn't have to go by Arthurian legend. What is a legend anyhow? The original Arthur (if he existed) in the 6th century AD was much different that what was written about him in medieval times. So whatever Johnny Capps thinks the legend needs to be for the story line; that's what it will be