Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

Series 5 spoilers thread

legend-dreamer

[101]Mar 30, 2012
    • level: 13
    I am cautiously optimistic that Alvarr's return will still happen, we will see later in the year.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

boom-moo

[102]Mar 31, 2012
    • level: 75
    March 29th-30th filming report from an extra (Martin Fox) :

"29th March 2012 and the last bookings for this tax year saw me off the Cearwell Caves, Coleford for two days as a slave/worker on 'Merlin'. Called at 9 o'clock on the first day and into make-up for a good grubbing down and into costume, which consisted of linen pants and boots. Then with other slaves and some sinister Saxon warriors it was down the mines for lots of 2nd unit shots of workers mining. To be composited to make large scenes of a big mine. Interested to see.

30th March and 8 o'clock cal time. Back into make up and costume then back off down the mine. Not as active, but more of us to sit and chat with. Wrap at 8pm."

Source

Colin Morgan on 4x13: "After Uther died, there was an interesting transition within the characters as Arthur put family over friends. That was a difficult transition for Merlin to overcome. One of the key elements in the finale is Arthur seeing his uncle for who he is, and positively reflecting on Merlin's valued friendship. Arthur always knew Merlin was a good friend and a trusted guy, but to realize he's loyally been there the entire time is a big revelation for Arthur and certainly paves the way for where we're going in Season Five." Source.

Edited on 03/31/2012 8:29am

Connor91

[103]Mar 31, 2012
    • level: 6

I'm really interested to see how the writers deal with Mordred knowing about Merlin's magic. I just hope they don't pull anything stupid (i.e. Mordred has forgotten, Mordred tells Morgana and she doesn't believe him, etc.etc.). Either way, I'm quite glad he is back, the relationship between Mordred and Morgana is really interesting and it will be good to see how it pans out now that Morgana herself is a magical force in the kingdom (as opposed to before where Mordred was basically using her).

Edited on 03/31/2012 12:29pm
    Edited 2 total times.

boom-moo

[104]Mar 31, 2012
    it looks like the knights have been filming separately. Adetomiwa mentioned to a fan at the Birmingham MCM Comic Con panel that he hadn't seen Tom for about 3 weeks but he did confirm he'd been filming too Source.

twizzle

[105]Apr 1, 2012
    • level: 3

boom-moo wrote:
    it looks like the knights have been filming separately. Adetomiwa mentioned to a fan at the Birmingham MCM Comic Con panel that he hadn't seen Tom for about 3 weeks but he did confirm he'd been filming too Source.

That's interesting.

boom-moo

[106]Apr 1, 2012
    -Off to play with magic wolves for 'merlin' in Wales tomorrow. Very exciting Source.

fantasyfreak77

[107]Apr 1, 2012
    • level: 14
    boom-moo wrote:
    -Off to play with magic wolves for 'merlin' in Wales tomorrow. Very exciting Source.
    When I see "magic wolves," I instantly think "werewolves," which then proceeds to "Twilight." Nah, I'm sure that's gonna be a brilliant action scene.

merlin200

[108]Apr 2, 2012
    • level: 1

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150704097759798&set=a.456959549797.251920.40661469797&type=1&theaterHERES OUR FIRST SEASON 5 PIC OF BRADLEY : S. Wales Margam Park in near Neath 23 march 2012 (

legend-dreamer

[109]Apr 2, 2012
    • level: 13

fantasyfreak77 wrote:
    boom-moo wrote:
    When I see "magic wolves," I instantly think "werewolves," which then proceeds to "Twilight." Nah, I'm sure that's gonna be a brilliant action scene.
    Oddly enough there is an old pre-Malory tale called "Arthur and Gorlogan" which has a werewolf in it. TPTB seem to like usng some story ideas from these older, less well-known Arthurian tales. It will be interesting to see if these are just magic wolves, or if they will be werewolves.

Edited on 04/02/2012 8:51pm

boom-moo

[110]Apr 3, 2012
    merlin200 wrote:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150704097759798&set=a.456959549797.251920.40661469797&type=1&theaterHERES OUR FIRST SEASON 5 PIC OF BRADLEY : S. Wales Margam Park in near Neath 23 march 2012 (

Took me a bit to locate it but I knew this wasn't right. It's a cropped version of a 4x04 promotional picture. Original here.

West3rd

[111]Apr 3, 2012
    • level: 11

boom-moo wrote:
    Took me a bit to locate it but I knew this wasn't right. It's a cropped version of a 4x04 promotional picture. Original here.

I saw the picture at work this morning and I just couldn't put my finger on it, as to where I had seen it before thanks Esther

ericsprau

[112]Apr 3, 2012
    Quoted from your first post, Esther...I have a theory, but no backing for it.

"-According to Julian Murphy, the series 4 finale features the return of an evil character: "There's a surprising twist at the end of this season that becomes a big part of season five." "

You probably already know I'm going to want this so badly...but what if it's Nimueh? SQUEEEEE!! I'm off to scour for Michelle Ryan related news now to see if there's any word on this...

boom-moo

[113]Apr 3, 2012
    Sorry to rain on your parade but several other bits hint to it as being Aithusa

ericsprau

[114]Apr 3, 2012
    Oh you are so right, I must have ignored the part about it initially happening during the Season 4 finale. DARNIT DARNIT DARNIT!

I still hope for her return someday. We've already seen them raise people from the dead numerous times, so why not Nimueh? She IS a staple of true Arthurian legend, although she isn't an evil character. Maybe when TPTB said they were going to incorporate more characters from the legend they meant her too? HUH, HUH? Don't shatter my dreams you wily goose!! *Twitch twitch*

Sparklingwater

[115]Apr 3, 2012
    • level: 4

boom-moo wrote:

I thought the returning evil character was Mordred? He doesn't seem to be a nice guy... And if not Mordred, then maybe Morgause. Aithusa was part of season 4, so announcing him as an evil returning character doesn't make much sense. And nobody knows if he is evil. So I guess it is someone we haven't seen for a while. Most likely Mordred or Morgause. Or indeed maybe Nimueh.

Edit: if memory serves well, it was said that the returning character was someone Merlin had killed before. If that is true, then it can't be Mordred. He killed Nimueh, Morgause (indirectly) and Cornelius Sigan. Maybe I don't remember correctly, perhaps it was said "someone Merlin had fought", I'm not quite sure.

Edited on 04/03/2012 5:39am
    Edited 2 total times.

ericsprau

[116]Apr 3, 2012
    Sparklingwater wrote:

boom-moo wrote:

I thought the returning evil character was Mordred? He doesn't seem to be a nice guy... And if not Mordred, then maybe Morgause. Aithusa was part of season 4, so announcing him as an evil returning character doesn't make much sense. And nobody knows if he is evil. So I guess it is someone we haven't seen for a while. Most likely Mordred or Morgause. Or indeed maybe Nimueh.

Edit: if memory serves well, it was said that the returning character was someone Merlin had killed before. If that is true, then it can't be Mordred. He killed Nimueh, Morgause (indirectly) and Cornelius Sigan. Maybe I don't remember correctly, perhaps it was said "someone Merlin had fought", I'm not quite sure.

Valid point. You have re-kindled my hope in Nimueh returning! Although Sigan was pretty killer too, but I would MUCH rather have Nimueh around again. I don't know you personally yet, SW, but I hope in time we can get to know each other better. Anyone who supports my neuroses concerning the return of Nimueh is a friend in my book!

You leave me to my notions of Nimueh returning, naysayers. Nimueh is eternal. I need to re-watch S1 again...

boom-moo

[117]Apr 3, 2012
    Sparklingwater wrote:

"-According to Julian Murphy, the series 4 finale features the return of an evil character:"... "There's a surprising twist at the end of this season that becomes a big part of season five."If the character is featured in the series 4 finale it can't be Mordred or Morgause. And TPTB have hinted in recent interviews that the theory about the good dragon (Kilgharrah) vs the evil one (Aithusa) might be correct.

Sparklingwater

[118]Apr 3, 2012
    • level: 4

boom-moo wrote:
    Sparklingwater wrote:

"-According to Julian Murphy, the series 4 finale features the return of an evil character:"... "There's a surprising twist at the end of this season that becomes a big part of season five."If the character is featured in the series 4 finale it can't be Mordred or Morgause. And TPTB have hinted in recent interviews that the theory about the good dragon (Kilgharrah) vs the evil one (Aithusa) might be correct.

I see. Well, maybe Mordred, Morgause or Nimueh or anyone possibly returning sent Aithusa to heal Morgana. But yes, there have been misleading hints several times, comments people could interpret one way or another. So anything is possible. On the other hand, if it refers to Aithusa, it would be a big spoiler because people would know that Aithusa is an evil dragon. Anyway, perhaps it is Aithusa, though it's not really surprising that he returns. The returning evil character sounds to me like someone we've met before but haven't seen for a while. Maybe the returning evil character and the twist at the end of season 4 are two different things and parts of season 5.

boom-moo

[119]Apr 3, 2012
    Sparklingwater wrote:

The returning evil character sounds to me like someone we've met before but haven't seen for a while.

I read it that way as well until the series 4 finale aired and there was no returning evil character. Also because the Merlin-Aithusa in 4x04 turns out to be pretty meh if Aithusa is to become evil. he way it's worded is really confusing (as any good spoiler should be) . At first I thought that he healed Morgana because he was clueless of who she was and was doing just a good deed, but after TPTB dropping some hints about the red dragon / white dragon... I don't know.

We know that Mordred is back in season 5 but that couldn't be guessed just going by the series 4 finale as TPTB seemed to suggest with that spoiler.

My bet is Aithusa now, much as I don't particularly like the idea.

ericsprau

[120]Apr 3, 2012
    boom-moo wrote:
    We know that Mordred is back in season 5 but that couldn't be guessed just going by the series 4 finale as TPTB seemed to suggest with that spoiler.

My bet is Aithusa now, much as I don't particularly like the idea.

How does that work, exactly, because the spoiler stated Mordred would now be in his twenties, but Mordred was only a child when we last saw him. So following that train of logic, the chronology has advanced 10-15 years between S4's finale and S5's premier? If that's the case...I don't know if I can keep watching.

The same would hold true for AIthusa, presumably. We don't exactly KNOW how long it takes a dragon to mature, but seeing as they live for hundreds of years I would THINK it would be a long time. So following that train of logic, how can Aithusa be part of a war if he's NOT fully matured, again lending credence to the idea that the show advances 10-15 between S4 and S5?

You'll learn to hate me when my neuroses kicks in, I get WAY too smart and analytical for most people's good.

Let's just all assume it's Nimueh to keep me happy, how about that?