Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

Series 5 spoilers thread

boom-moo

[1061]Oct 10, 2012
    • level: 75
    JanetteCassar wrote:

As for the teaser of the leap of faith, I think it is more the one where in the trailer we see Merlin and Arthur jump across that crater in the ice, rather than the wagon ride

Yes, LD pointed that out before and I'm sure you guys are right That's actually how the manage to leave Ragnor and Mordred behind.

More hints here:

•We find out where Mordred’s allegiances lie. Or do we?
    •Plenty of Aithusa moments this week and the young dragon is not doing so well
    •Sefa’s execution is all going to plan
    •There’s a brief look at Morgana’s prior captivity, and she’s not alone
    •They both should really beef up their security
    •Morgana almost replicates a famous line from Obi-Wan in Star Wars
    •Gaius tells someone other than Merlin that they are playing a dangerous game
    •Aithusa seems to have lost something
    •Only one magic air push this week… and some “fun” with a blade
    •Watch out for carrots
    •They should have checked the body
    •We learn more about the Diamair
    •Someone makes a very surprising move
    •A momentous moment for Camelot, or a huge mistake?
    •Arthur’s Bane is revealed, but it is not what you expect

New promo pictures have been made available for eps 3 and 4 (sorry, I don't have permission to repost but I can describe them).

Episode 3:
    -3 new shots of Uther looking pale and dead-like, just like the ones released before. Nothing too interesting there.

Episode 4:
    -The bts picture of Morgana as an old woman sat in the forest with the ipad.

Edited on 10/10/2012 1:27pm
    Edited 4 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

JanetteCassar

[1062]Oct 10, 2012
    • level: 6
    My my all these hints are killing me...give us the episode already

I know the one re Gaius and the dangerous game... it's Gwen.

PenguinSuzie

[1063]Oct 10, 2012
    • level: 10
    If Arthur is his own bane, maybe it's to do with his lack of acceptance for magic and what will happen if he eventually rejects it.

boom-moo

[1064]Oct 10, 2012
    PenguinSuzie wrote:
    If Arthur is his own bane, maybe it's to do with his lack of acceptance for magic and what will happen if he eventually rejects it.
    I think so

JanetteCassar wrote:
    I know the one re Gaius and the dangerous game... it's Gwen.
    Guen is using Sefa (her decision to execute her) to lure Ruadan to Camelot.

I think that more important than that, there is a scene between Gwen and Gaius where Gwen asks him why the druids want Arthur dead. He explains that some druids believe that Arthur is like Uther and that those with magic are suffering a lot. Gwen begins to understand Ruadan's behaviour and is upset that innocents are being persecuted. So Gwen might hence eventually try and sway Arthur.
    Edited on 10/10/2012 3:33pm

PenguinSuzie

[1065]Oct 10, 2012
    boom-moo wrote:
    •Plenty of Aithusa moments this week and the young dragon is not doing so well
    •Aithusa seems to have lost something
    •There's a brief look at Morgana's prior captivity, and she's not alone
    It looks like Aithusa was a captive too. Maybe it wasn't the dragon that got Morgana out.
    boom-moo wrote:
    •They both should really beef up their security
    Morgana and Camelot. Camelot is notorious for it's dreadful security.
    boom-moo wrote:
    •Someone makes a very surprising move
    Mordred betraying Morgana. Or something to do with Sefa's execution.
    boom-moo wrote:
    •A momentous moment for Camelot, or a huge mistake?
    Sefa's execution. Or Arthur's knighting of Mordred.
    boom-moo wrote:
    •Arthur's Bane is revealed, but it is not what you expect
    Arthur.
    boom-moo wrote:
    8 She has proved herself to be a worthy daughter - Someone about Sefa
    It would be disturbing if it was her father that said this.

boom-moo

[1066]Oct 10, 2012
    •We find out where Mordred’s allegiances lie. Or do we? - He first sides with Morgana, then with Arthur.
    •Plenty of Aithusa moments this week and the young dragon is not doing so well - the whole thing about her being deformed
    •Sefa’s execution is all going to plan - the pretense is kept
    •There’s a brief look at Morgana’s prior captivity, and she’s not alone - Aithusa
    •They both should really beef up their security - Arthur and Merlin break into Ismere, Ruadan into Camelot
    •Morgana almost replicates a famous line from Obi-Wan in Star Wars - Haven't seen any SW movie. Maybe something about her father being a baddie.
    •Gaius tells someone other than Merlin that they are playing a dangerous game - Gwen
    •Aithusa seems to have lost something - Her ability to speak
    •Only one magic air push this week… and some “fun” with a blade - Morgana vs Merlin. No idea about the blade
    •Watch out for carrots - The hair thing
    •They should have checked the body - The Euchdag heals Gwaine. I guess the Saxons leave him for dead. She also heals Merlin but I don't think he's supposed to be dead.
    •We learn more about the Diamair - The Euchdag is the Diamair
    •Someone makes a very surprising move - Mordred changing sides or Gwen with the Sefa thing
    •A momentous moment for Camelot, or a huge mistake? - Mordred becoming a knight
    •Arthur’s Bane is revealed, but it is not what you expect - Arthur

October 10th, filming at Margam Country Park pictures here, here and here.

Edited on 10/10/2012 1:52pm
    Edited 2 total times.

ACDiNosey

[1067]Oct 10, 2012
    • level: 28
    boom-moo wrote:
    •Someone makes a very surprising move - Mordred changing sides or Gwen with the Sefa thing

Arthur knighting Mordred? (Gosh I'm on fire!!!)

PenguinSuzie

[1068]Oct 10, 2012
    boom-moo wrote:
    •Morgana almost replicates a famous line from Obi-Wan in Star Wars - Haven't seen any SW movie. Maybe something about her father being a baddie.
    Or something to do with that thing she's suppose to say about dying for her cause.

boom-moo

[1069]Oct 10, 2012
    Omg, I just realized I was thinking Star Wars (haven't seen those either)

So in ep4, Morgana and King Odin vs Arthur. How do Mithian, King Rodor and most likely Alator fit in the mix?

dinamo

[1070]Oct 10, 2012
    • level: 3

I wonder if Aithusa and Morgana were both captured. Or perhaps Aithusa comes to try and rescue Morgana and is hurt in the process, but manages to get to Morgana free and Morgana gets them both out of there or something. I really dont want Morgana to be using Aithusa, because I'm just sick of her being the go to villian. I want this show to be good and constantly having Morgana do more evil and more eeevilll isn't interesting, sheused to be much more of a character than the1D person she is now. Find someone else to be an antagonist Camelot is big it doesn't always have to be her, surely she must be getting bored of it by now always trying and failing.

The little bits of info about ep 4 seem very interesting. I'm glad we'll be seeing more of the kings of the other areas even if Morgana looks to be involved again, its nice to show a bit more deapth to it all especially as otherwise it makes no sense how Arthur will united Albion if we know nothing about the other areas and their kings and their politics. I've always kind of had this vision(perhaps stupid) that Queen Annis names Arthur as his heir and Mithian does the same and he takes the other Kingdom's due to war, so its partly a peaceful union to create albion and partly him fighting to create it as well, its probably totally wrong because the way things are going it all seems its unlikely to happen at the moment that Albion will be created.

boom-moo

[1071]Oct 10, 2012
    You have a point about Annis. She doesn't have heirs that we know of so she might make some sort a decree for Arthur to rule her land. Or Arthur might conquer it by the sword although I don't really see him doing that unless he is provoked. Mithian is too young though and has no reason to give hers up. Why would she? Maybe Arthur (as a young man) gets to unite Albion not under his rule but as a bunch of lands that coexist peacefully my making long lasting alliances with the other rulers.

PenguinSuzie

[1072]Oct 10, 2012

The thing with Morgana though is that, even if she's not controlling Aithusa I seriously doubt she'll be softened at all by her. I don't know maybe she will soften her. I'm sure there will be some touching moments, but I don't see any big enough changes happening in Morgana's character to make sacrificing Aithusa to her side at all worth it. Maybe I'm just so sick of evil Morgana and no longer have any sympathy for her that I just wouldn't believe even a slight redemption. She hasn't shown any progress in 6 and a half years (in her timeline). I don't think Aithusa will really round out Morgana's character I think she's too far gone. I guess I just don't want a character that I like to have willingly joined Morgana in her slaughter fest even if it does make her a better person.

boom-moo wrote:
    Maybe Arthur (as a young man) gets to unite Albion not under his rule but as a bunch of lands that coexist peacefully my making long lasting alliances with the other rulers.
    That's what I think should happen.

Edited on 10/10/2012 4:38pm

legend-dreamer

[1073]Oct 10, 2012
    • level: 13

boom-moo wrote:
    •Morgana almost replicates a famous line from Obi-Wan in Star Wars
    I am a big Star Wars fan and one of Obi-Wan's most famous lines is "Use the force, Luke." So my guess is that Morgana encoiurages someone to use their magical power (Mordred, Ruadon).....or maybe she tries to encourage Aithusa to use her dragon abilities to get her out of the cell.

Edited on 10/10/2012 6:56pm

boom-moo

[1074]Oct 11, 2012
    Interview with Alex Vlahos here.

-Me and Colin have about three scenes on our own where we talk about Emrys and all that magical stuff really comes out.
    -Mordred wants what Morgana wants, but they're just on a different level. She's been brutally killing people for years because she wants the throne that's rightfully hers and she wants to live in freedom of magic. I think Mordred wants to live in the freedom of magic, of course he does, it's just the way he goes about it that's a little different.
    Edited on 10/11/2012 6:21am

dinamo

[1075]Oct 11, 2012
    • level: 3

PenguinSuzie wrote:

The thing with Morgana though is that, even if she's not controlling Aithusa I seriously doubt she'll be softened at all by her. I don't know maybe she will soften her. I'm sure there will be some touching moments, but I don't see any big enough changes happening in Morgana's character to make sacrificing Aithusa to her side at all worth it. Maybe I'm just so sick of evil Morgana and no longer have any sympathy for her that I just wouldn't believe even a slight redemption. She hasn't shown any progress in 6 and a half years (in her timeline). I don't think Aithusa will really round out Morgana's character I think she's too far gone. I guess I just don't want a character that I like to have willingly joined Morgana in her slaughter fest even if it does make her a better person.

boom-moo wrote:
    Maybe Arthur (as a young man) gets to unite Albion not under his rule but as a bunch of lands that coexist peacefully my making long lasting alliances with the other rulers.
    That's what I think should happen.

I don't want Morgana to necessarily be redeemed, its gone too far for that.I just wish we could go back to her having more sides to her than kill stab kill hate evil evil that she seems to be now.She was a much more interesting character when she was written as having different shades to herself. I don't mean Aithusa will change her totally just flesh her out perhaps once again.

I'm not Morgana's biggest fan in some ways but in other ways she is the character that I feel the writers have totally ruined. She had so much potential and has just become some cartoon villian. I suppose though from interviews and spoilers it looks like Mordred is going to be a bit more the character I thought Morgana could have been using different methods to enact change without trying to kill everyone.

Klockan12

[1076]Oct 11, 2012
    • level: 2

Arthur's Bane (Part Two) preview:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJI79kwrbbU

Edited on 10/11/2012 10:04am

JanetteCassar

[1077]Oct 11, 2012
    • level: 6

Klockan12 wrote:

Arthur's Bane (Part Two) preview:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJI79kwrbbU

wooo la la, thanks a lot for this

boom-moo

[1078]Oct 11, 2012
    Lol Ragnor and his men are quite the helpless lot.

5x02 review here.

With Morgana’s search for the key to ‘Arthur’s Bane’ continuing, we receive a further hint of her back-story between series as it appears her line regarding ‘two years in the darkness’ may have been more than just a metaphor.

In the snowy landscape, we find Merlin and Arthur in chains, taken by the slavers to join the workforce at the tower of Ismere. Refusing to acquiesce to their fate, it doesn’t take them long to engineer an escape plan, involving both crossbows and a thrilling leap of faith. Despite their freedom though, all roads lead to Ismere.

On his arrival, Mordred receives an emotional welcome but he remains reticent. Newcomer Alexander Vlahos puts in a wonderfully enigmatic performance that seems to indicate he will be far more than just another one of Morgana’s pantomime henchmen.

Back home, Queen Guinevere waits for news of Arthur and has to deal with the consequences of her sentence of death on Sefa, the traitorous maid. Gaius is on hand as a wise counsellor, thankfully giving Richard Wilson far more to do than last week.

Deep below the tower, Gwaine’s sinewy rescuer comes to the fore providing not only miraculous healing but also a rather ponderous line in prophesy. Meanwhile Percival enjoys a slice of the action as he gets to engineer a resistance force… and yes, they’re all still shirtless down there before you ask!

As well as some more great banter with Arthur, and despite his forebodings, Merlin is well-served here. He not only manages to discover not only the truth surrounding ‘Arthur’s Bane’ but discovers a further mystery lurking beneath the tower too.

Director Justin Molotnikov continues to make good use of the snowy landscape, as well as providing some well-handled battle sequences where the intense Liam Cunningham (Ruadan) gets to display his impressive skills of both sorcery and sword.

The episode builds all its threads towards a climatic confrontation in the catacombs with consequences that will be felt across the whole series. If the opening episode restated the battle lines, this one provides a positively game-changing resolution that is guaranteed to shock.

The pictures of the knights in armour in what seems to be some sort of mine or cave background (those with weird lighting we were talking about recently) have been reported to belong to episode 5.

Episode 3 title: The Death Song of Uther Pendragon Source.

Nothing new in the summary:

A stranger gives Arthur the power to summon the dead, so he seizes the chance to speak to the person he misses most: his father, Uther Pendragon. But the young king's decision comes at a terrible price, for the spirit world is a dangerous place, leaving Merlin fighting against the odds to put right the mistake before Camelot is destroyed.

Spoiler TV has added hints to their teasers:

“I promise, your secret is safe with me” Mordred to ? - Merlin

“ I've never seen a creature like you before. Who are you?” ? to 'Alien' - Gwaine Or Merlin

“You must cure yourself” Sefa to ? - Ruadan

“Got a bit of carrot in your hair…well at least I hope it’s carrot” Arthur to ? - Merlin

“I feared you were dead. It’s dangerous for those of us with magic” ? to Mordred - Morgana

“I want his annihilation *******. I want to put his head on a spike and watch as the crows feast on his eyes” Morgana to ? - Mordred

“Your bravery is only match by your stupidity” ? to Arthur - Morgana

“What happened to you Morgana? As a child you were so kind, so compassionate” ? to Morgana - Arthur

“You are wise Emrys; your wisdom will live long in the minds of men” ? to Merlin - The Euchdag

“The love that binds us is more important than the power we wield” Mordred to ? - Morgana

Edited on 10/11/2012 11:49am
    Edited 3 total times.

Scop

[1079]Oct 11, 2012
    • level: 4

I've wondered about Gwaine. From the story he told Merlin, his father was a knight in Caerleon's army. So assuming his father was at least Caerleon nobility, but he might be bastard royalty, or the product of a disproved of marriage, and just left that part out of the story he told Merlin.

Also, in some versions of the legends, he's the son of Lot and Morgause, and Mordred is his brother. It would be interesting if they went with that relationship between him and Mordred.

boom-moo

[1080]Oct 11, 2012
    Well, this season we are getting back stories on the knights so here is hope we get to learn interesting things about them.

boom-moo wrote:
    The pictures of the knights in armour in what seems to be some sort of mine or cave background (those with weird lighting we were talking about recently) have been reported to belong to episode 5

And the pictures of the knights with their horses are reported to be promos for ep 4.

More 5x02 interesting things:
    -There is a moment where Arthur tries to make Merlin go back home because sneaking into Ismere would mean facing impossible odds (he says something along the lines that they are his men and hence not Merlin's business). Merlin refuses to go and thrusts a ring back into Arthur's hand. ----> I wonder if Arthur had given him the ring for Merlin to keep (since the s4 scene where he gave him his mother's sigil or sth ended up being cut) or if he was to give it to Gwen (as he did before in s4).

- Mordred doesn't knock Morgana out, he stabs her. The chain of events goes: Arthur and Merlin sneak into Ismere. Aithusa attacks them. Merlin goes after Aithusa so Arthur can go find Gwaine and Percival. Arthur goes after Merlin instead. Morgana attacks Arthur with magic. Arthur tries to make her see sense and apologizes for Uther's behaviour but she doesn't care to listen and tries to murder him when Merlin arrives. She knocks him out with magic. Mordred shows up and much to Morgana's astonishment, he stabs her in the back and saves Arthur. Mordred takes Arthur out, leaving Merlin behind. Arthur is just half conscious. It is not clear if Mordred would have come back for Merlin or not. The Euchdag heals Merlin and tells him about Arthur's bane being Arthur himself. Aithusa rescues Morgana.

-Mordred tells Merlin that the past is in the past, that he is over the events in 2x11 and that he is a different person. It is not clear if he is honest or just trying to fool Merlin.

-Gwaine is healed by the Euchdag and him and Percy free the other slaves ---> Apparently they manage on their own without Arthur or Merlin's help but I'm not sure.

-Apparently, Aithusa's true loyalties might be unclear. Even thoush she clearly seems to have sided with Morgana, in the scene with Merlin she seems to show some sympathy towards him, something different to her bond to him as a dragonlord. ----> This sounds to be just the subjective impression of the person who has read the script.

-There are two different versions of the scene where Mordred and Morgana reunite. Both start the same: Morgana tells Mordred that she is a High Priestess of the Old Religion and that she will bring magic back, she just needs to rid herself of Arthur. Mordred tells her that he was in his hands but managed to escape. Morgana gets really angry when she hears that and that's where the script differs. In one version, Morgana goes on and on about how much she wishes to make Arthur and Gwen suffer. Mordred is clearly bothered, as Arthur risked his neck to save his life and Gwen was compassionate and helped Morgana nurse him in 1x08. He wants magic back but he doesn't believe that spilling blood is the way. Morgana ignores him and carries on with his hateful speech. In the other one, Mordred's line are noticeably shorter. He is still distressed to find Morgana consummed by hatred but pretty much only gets to say "please Morgana" trying to make her stop. It looks like they are going to use the second version, as it is a later edit on the script. In any case both end the same, with the alarm being called as Arthur and Merlin have gotten in.

-About the whole Sefa thing, the court is questioning Gwen's judgement. Sefa begs Gaius to get an audience with the Queen. Gwen confesses to Gaius that she doesn't plan to execute Sefa, just lure Ruadan back to Camelot. Ruadan manages to sneak in and rescue his daughter. Both escape but Ruadan is killed. He manages to send a crow to inform Morgana that Arthur is marching towards Ismere. Sefa seeks the safety of the forest and the Camelot knights do not chase after her.

-Gaius explains to Gwen how the Druids were indeed peaceful people and most still are but that Uther and the Great Purge changed that. They live in fear and little has changed under Arthur's rule since magic is still outlawed. Gwen understands.