Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

Series 5 spoilers thread

MarisilviaBov

[1421]Nov 8, 2012
    • level: 3

I'm not very handy but I'll learn! Here I have a link to 10 Teasers, and I must say that phrases are disturbing, especially Hurt Merlin!!!!!! http://cultfix.co.uk/merlin-506-the-dark-tower-teasers-19704.htm

Bring a hanky for this one If you go down to the woods today, watch out for snakes Sir Leon and Percival are having nightmares, while Gwaine dreams of cheese… that tastes like apple pie The Impenetrable Forest certainly lives up to its name Queen Mab may talk in riddles but she also speaks a terrible truth Arthur and Elyan have got the giggles You will see a very angry Arthur Morgana's capture is touched on once again Merlin uses his mind's eye as a sat nav Morgana is actually very nice to Gwen… ..She also puts her though psychological hell "Heed my words with due concern, for one of you **** *** ******" Evil Merlin!? Watch out for a twist in this tale. This does not end well

Source:http://cultfix.co.uk/merlin-506-the-dark-tower-teasers-19704.htm

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

boom-moo

[1422]Nov 8, 2012
    • level: 75
    Sorry for having repeated your info, MarisilviaBov but I was typing my post when you posted before me.

I see your point, Hiflying and you are right but the thing is that I can't recall that it's ever been stated that Arthur is gonna be killed by Mordred or that he would die at the hands of Mordred. I could be wrong here (as I can't look properly into the matter atm) but the statements that I recall haven't been that specific.

For example:

The Great Dragon: (To Merlin) Once before I warned you of the Druid boy. It is his destiny to bring about Arthur's doom.

and:

The Great Dragon: If the boy lives, you cannot fulfil your destiny. Merlin: What's he got to do with my destiny? You said it's my destiny to protect Arthur.
    The Great Dragon: Then you have the answer you seek.
    Merlin: You're telling me that little boy is going to kill Arthur?
    The Great Dragon: It seems that is up to you.
    Merlin: No. You can't know that for certain. The Great Dragon: You have it in your power to prevent a great evil. Merlin: There must be another way. The future isn't set in stone. The Great Dragon: You must let the boy die

The Great Dragon talks about Arthur's "doom" and then says that Merlin can prevent "a great evil", it is Merlin who reads beyond the warning and mentions the killing (and it's only in the Dragon's best interest to let him believe so, as Merlin is reluctant to let young Mordred die). As the Dragon said in the last episode, there are many paths to the future so I think that the prophecies (as prophecies should be) aren't clear and that some are assuming that the "doom" and the "great evil" will be Arthur's death when it doesn't necessarily be the case. And then, Merlin tells the message to Gaius in his own words:

Merlin: (To Gaius) Remember what the dragon said? Arthur would meet his end at the hands of a Druid.

And Gaius to Gwen:

Gaius: (To Gwen) Some believe that Arthur is destined to die by a Druid's hand.

But is that so? Did the Dragon really say that? It could be as that game where a message is passed on from a person to the next and the one at the other end of the line ends up getting a totally different story from the original.

More teasers here:

» What will drip on a regal countenance?
    » Red cloaks can be a touch impractical at times!
    » ‘I don’t know what I’d be if it wasn’t for her.’
    » Which Knights will suffer night terrors?
    » Sword quality is not what it used to be.
    » What will spook the horses?
    » Is rhyme really better than riddle?
    » Who attained their cub-scout badge for advanced tracking skills?
    » ‘I know it’s not you, I know it’s not you!’
    » The word ‘impenetrable’ will clearly need redefinition.

And here:

Bring a hanky for this one
    If you go down to the woods today, watch out for snakes
    Sir Leon and Percival are having nightmares, while Gwaine dreams of cheese… that tastes like apple pie
    The Impenetrable Forest certainly lives up to its name
    Queen Mab may talk in riddles but she also speaks a terrible truth
    Arthur and Elyan have got the giggles
    You will see a very angry Arthur
    Morgana’s capture is touched on once again
    Merlin uses his mind’s eye as a sat nav
    Morgana is actually very nice to Gwen…
    ..She also puts her though psychological hell
    “Heed my words with due concern, for one of you **** *** ******”
    Evil Merlin!?
    Watch out for a twist in this tale. This does not end well

“Spoiler free” review here:

Morgana kidnaps Gwen and takes her to the Dark Tower…
    We are very definitely getting into Stephen King territory with this episode with some real horrors, both physical and psychological" I’ll be very interested to see what certification this gets from the BBFC for the DVD release. This certainly isn’t an episode for younger children! The Dark Tower isn’t part of established Arthurian lore" its origins appear to be in Shakespeare’s King Lear" but it fits in well with the BBC variant, which hasn’t hesitated in the past to adopt elements from every version of the myth, and is now doffing its hat to Stephen King’s epic saga, in which Arthur-Eld is a key part of the backstory of the Dark Tower.
    This is one of the first times that we see Merlin in his proper role to Arthur: he’s not just a guide in this episode, he is the one who has a lot of the solutions, and we’re seeing a gradual realisation by Arthur that this is the case. Arthur, Merlin and the knights’ quest is counterpointed with some nasty scenes for Gwen, and a more subtle play by Morgana than she’s sometimes used. We also learn more about what happened to Arthur’s nemesis during the three-year gap between series four and five, which do help to explain the changes we’ve seen in Morgana this year. Both Angel Coulby and Katie McGrath excel, making up, particularly in the former’s case, for what has seemed like a reduction in role for the character in recent weeks.
    Don’t let anyone spoil the developments of the final act: it remains to be seen whether what they set up will be retreading old ground, or whether the show is willing to go even darker…
    Verdict: Those who wanted a more proactive Merlin will be pleased by this. 7/10

Edited on 11/08/2012 2:32am

MarisilviaBov

[1423]Nov 8, 2012
    (boom moo) quiet, I apologize I that are not good, and I agree with everything you say, I love this show Merlin!you What do you think of Evil Merlin that will mean?
    boom-moo wrote:
    Sorry for having repeated your info, MarisilviaBov but I was typing my post when you posted before me.

I see your point, Hiflying and you are right but the thing is that I can't recall that it's ever been stated that Arthur is gonna be killed by Mordred or that he would die at the hands of Mordred. I could be wrong here (as I can't look properly into the matter atm) but the statements that I recall haven't been that specific.

For example:

The Great Dragon: (To Merlin) Once before I warned you of the Druid boy. It is his destiny to bring about Arthur's doom.

and:

The Great Dragon: If the boy lives, you cannot fulfil your destiny. Merlin: What's he got to do with my destiny? You said it's my destiny to protect Arthur.
    The Great Dragon: Then you have the answer you seek.
    Merlin: You're telling me that little boy is going to kill Arthur?
    The Great Dragon: It seems that is up to you.
    Merlin: No. You can't know that for certain. The Great Dragon: You have it in your power to prevent a great evil. Merlin: There must be another way. The future isn't set in stone. The Great Dragon: You must let the boy die

The Great Dragon talks about Arthur's "doom" and then says that Merlin can prevent "a great evil", it is Merlin who reads beyond the warning and mentions the killing (and it's only in the Dragon's best interest to let him believe so, as Merlin is reluctant to let young Mordred die). As the Dragon said in the last episode, there are many paths to the future so I think that the prophecies (as prophecies should be) aren't clear and that some are assuming that the "doom" and the "great evil" will be Arthur's death when it doesn't necessarily be the case. And then, Merlin tells the message to Gaius in his own words:

Merlin: (To Gaius) Remember what the dragon said? Arthur would meet his end at the hands of a Druid.

And Gaius to Gwen:

Gaius: (To Gwen) Some believe that Arthur is destined to die by a Druid's hand.

But is that so? Did the Dragon really say that? It could be as that game where a message is passed on from a person to the next and the one at the other end of the line ends up getting a totally different story from the original.

More teasers here:

» What will drip on a regal countenance?
    » Red cloaks can be a touch impractical at times!
    » ‘I don’t know what I’d be if it wasn’t for her.’
    » Which Knights will suffer night terrors?
    » Sword quality is not what it used to be.
    » What will spook the horses?
    » Is rhyme really better than riddle?
    » Who attained their cub-scout badge for advanced tracking skills?
    » ‘I know it’s not you, I know it’s not you!’
    » The word ‘impenetrable’ will clearly need redefinition.

And here:

Bring a hanky for this one
    If you go down to the woods today, watch out for snakes
    Sir Leon and Percival are having nightmares, while Gwaine dreams of cheese… that tastes like apple pie
    The Impenetrable Forest certainly lives up to its name
    Queen Mab may talk in riddles but she also speaks a terrible truth
    Arthur and Elyan have got the giggles
    You will see a very angry Arthur
    Morgana’s capture is touched on once again
    Merlin uses his mind’s eye as a sat nav
    Morgana is actually very nice to Gwen…
    ..She also puts her though psychological hell
    Evil Merlin!?
    Watch out for a twist in this tale. This does not end well

“Spoiler free” review here:

Morgana kidnaps Gwen and takes her to the Dark Tower…
    We are very definitely getting into Stephen King territory with this episode with some real horrors, both physical and psychological" I’ll be very interested to see what certification this gets from the BBFC for the DVD release. This certainly isn’t an episode for younger children! The Dark Tower isn’t part of established Arthurian lore" its origins appear to be in Shakespeare’s King Lear" but it fits in well with the BBC variant, which hasn’t hesitated in the past to adopt elements from every version of the myth, and is now doffing its hat to Stephen King’s epic saga, in which Arthur-Eld is a key part of the backstory of the Dark Tower.
    This is one of the first times that we see Merlin in his proper role to Arthur: he’s not just a guide in this episode, he is the one who has a lot of the solutions, and we’re seeing a gradual realisation by Arthur that this is the case. Arthur, Merlin and the knights’ quest is counterpointed with some nasty scenes for Gwen, and a more subtle play by Morgana than she’s sometimes used. We also learn more about what happened to Arthur’s nemesis during the three-year gap between series four and five, which do help to explain the changes we’ve seen in Morgana this year. Both Angel Coulby and Katie McGrath excel, making up, particularly in the former’s case, for what has seemed like a reduction in role for the character in recent weeks.
    Don’t let anyone spoil the developments of the final act: it remains to be seen whether what they set up will be retreading old ground, or whether the show is willing to go even darker…
    Verdict: Those who wanted a more proactive Merlin will be pleased by this. 7/10

boom-moo

[1424]Nov 8, 2012
    MarisilviaBov wrote:
    (boom moo) quiet, I apologize I that are not good, and I agree with everything you say, I love this show Merlin!
    Oh please, do not apologize at all! I'm really grateful for all and every contribution And you'll the hang of it (actually, the way the site is designed doesn't make it easy to battle with html) just give it time, you'll see

MarisilviaBov wrote:
    What do you think of Evil Merlin that will mean?
    I really don't know, I guess it's somebody's stumped reply at Morgana saying that Merlin is evil *shrugs*

boom-moo wrote:
    This must be Queen Mab to Merlin and the missing words are "will die tonight"

Sabrina2322

[1425]Nov 8, 2012

Why do I keep reading Elyan is going to die in this episode couldn't he just be hurt. There were no pics of a funeral like with lance

ACDiNosey

[1426]Nov 8, 2012
    • level: 28
    You keep hearing this (amongst other things) because Elyan does not appear in any cast list after this episode and we know he wasn't at PF for the last block, which very heavily suggests that he's not appearing.

boom-moo

[1427]Nov 8, 2012
    Sorry for repeating what you already mentioned, AC. As per usual I was caught up in the middle of my post when you posted.

Sabrina2322 wrote:

Why do I keep reading Elyan is going to die in this episode couldn't he just be hurt. There were no pics of a funeral like with lance

Well, promotional pics don't reveal all that's happening in an episode

We don't know for sure that Elyan dies but there are too many hints, spoilers, etc to think the contrary. I'm sorry I don't have the time right now to list them to you but if you go some posts back you'll see for yourself (the plot itself, Gwen in a black dress, etc). Anyway, he is not listed in the cast lists for ep 7 and 8 (while the other knights are) and he wasn't in Pierrefonds during the September filming block (while the other knights were) which is already quite telling.
    Edited on 11/08/2012 5:07am

PenguinSuzie

[1428]Nov 8, 2012
    • level: 10

boom-moo wrote:
    Merlin uses his mind's eye as a sat nav
    He's sort of done that before, like tracking Merlin/Morgana to warn her that Arthur was coming in S2. (Also possibly how he manages to track Arthur on a few occasions without really looking around (i.e running to save him from Sofia drowning him))

@boom-moo I didn't realize it was you for a while because of the new icon *face palm*. I usually tend to look at the icons instead of the names to quickly identify who writes what. OUAT is a great show.

Edited on 11/08/2012 10:02am

MarisilviaBov

[1429]Nov 8, 2012
    (boom moo)Thank six are very polite and I like this site, it shows the passion for Merlin, Saturday comes early I'm curious to know how will the episode, especially regarding Merlin!
    boom-moo wrote:
    MarisilviaBov wrote:
    (boom moo) quiet, I apologize I that are not good, and I agree with everything you say, I love this show Merlin!
    Oh please, do not apologize at all! I'm really grateful for all and every contribution And you'll the hang of it (actually, the way the site is designed doesn't make it easy to battle with html) just give it time, you'll see

MarisilviaBov wrote:
    What do you think of Evil Merlin that will mean?
    I really don't know, I guess it's somebody's stumped reply at Morgana saying that Merlin is evil *shrugs*

boom-moo wrote:
    This must be Queen Mab to Merlin and the missing words are "will die tonight"

MarisilviaBov

[1430]Nov 8, 2012
    http://youtu.be/MyBdK4HwlNo

Merlin S5 | Episode 05.06 'The Dark Tower' - second preview clip

boom-moo

[1432]Nov 8, 2012
    I am the same with icons, PS

MarisilviaBov, just a little something you should know. Please do not double post (post twice in a row) as it goes against the site rules. You should use the edit function in the drop dowm menu at the bottom of every post Thank you!

Two 5X07 Gwen promo pics here.

Edited on 11/08/2012 1:37pm

RoundPinkSpider

[1433]Nov 8, 2012
    • level: 4

Hiflying wrote:
    I hope the vision isn't totally misleading because there's more proof than just Merlin's interpretation that Mordred is killing Arthur in it. He's been told by the dragon that that's what will happen, from season 1. The old guy who gave him the vision wouldn't of been so worried if it was simply a misunderstanding. Arthurs been warned by a goddess about it, indirectly, and you'd hope a god would know what they're doing. I'm not saying that it's not a misinterpretation, I agree that the fact that you don't actually see Arthur die proably means he won't. I just feel that if that's the way they go it would be silly against all the warnings Merlin has had.

I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to imply that Merlin had no reason for concern. I'm sure that, if Merlin did nothing, it would result in disaster. I had just gotten the impression that some people were assuming that, since Mordred is present and Merlin saw the vision, that meant that Arthur was definitely going to die THIS season. I was just trying to stand outside the fourth wall and say, "Hey, the writers have played this game before, don't give up."

I'm very intrigued by the dragon merely saying that, if Mordred lived, Merlin wouldn't be able to protect Arthur. He didn't say that Mordred would kill Arthur. It could actually mean that Mordred would do some harm to Merlin (like sealing him in the Crystal Cave), thus preventing him from being there. Merlin has been more hostile to Mordred than he was to Morgana. I could see Mordred getting fed up with it. Or Mordred could find out something about Morgana's plans and think he had to lock up Merlin so Merlin wouldn't play into her hands.

As far as the Evil Merlin thing, well, they already had Merlin echoing Morgana's words about the good, kind child of the past "growing up." They seem to be drawing a parallel between Merlin and Morgana. I wouldn't be surprised if the writers take Merlin farther down the "ruthless" road, then have him realize he's gone too far and has to take a step back (unlike Morgana, who just kept going).

Edited on 11/08/2012 2:49pm

boom-moo

[1434]Nov 9, 2012
    -Just caught up with this week's #merlin - great but rather short on Irish knight close ups I thought.
    -I agree. It's an eternal problem with Merlin, especially this year IMO....same for @tomhopperhops It's a bone of contention Source.

Updated dialogue teasers here:

“Sleep my lady, for it could be some time before you do again” Morgana to Gwen
    “There is dark magic coursing through their veins” Gaius to Merlin
    “You’re not going to lose her. You’re not. We’re going to find her. I swear. We’ll bring her home” Merlin to Arthur
    “I don’t know what I’d be if it wasn't for her” Elyan to Arthur
    “I was having a dream about eating a cheese that tasted of apple pie. Anyone else have that dream? Well you’re all missing out” Gwaine to the knights
    “We should have made it out of the forest by now” Leon to the knights
    “I would have sold my soul for someone to show me kindness such as this” Morgana to Gwen
    “Merlin, you’re a genius” Percival to Merlin
    “I know it’s not you. I know it’s not you. I know it’s not you" Gwen to 'Evil' Arthur
    “I have to do this” Elyan to Arthur

Trailer Teaser

Emrys (AKA Old Merlin)

Edited on 11/09/2012 7:18am

BrightlyLit

[1435]Nov 9, 2012
    • level: 5

boom-moo wrote:
    -Just caught up with this week's #merlin - great but rather short on Irish knight close ups I thought. -I agree. It's an eternal problem with Merlin, especially this year IMO....same for @tomhopperhops It's a obone of contention Source.

______________ Updated dialogue teasers here: "Sleep my lady, for it could be some time before you do again" Morgana to Gwen "There is dark magic coursing through their veins" Gaius to Merlin "You're not going to lose her. You're not. We're going to find her. I swear. We'll bring her home" Merlin to Arthur "I don't know what I'd be if it wasn't for her" Elyan to Arthur "I was having a dream about eating a cheese that tasted of apple pie. Anyone else have that dream? Well you're all missing out" Gwaine to the knights "We should have made it out of the forest by now" Leon to the knights "I would have sold my soul for someone to show me kindness such as this" Morgana to Gwen "Merlin, you're a genius" Percival to Merlin "I know it's not you. I know it's not you. I know it's not you" Gwen to 'Evil' Arthur "I have to do this" Elyan to Arthur Trailer Teaser Emrys (AKA Old Merlin)

What's this "evil" Arthur? She must be having some kind of hallucinations or a vision or something. This is beyond exciting. I don't know when I've been so up for an episode. Unfortunately, that's when I tend to get let down.

RoundPinkSpider

[1436]Nov 9, 2012
    • level: 4

boom-moo wrote:
    "I know it's not you. I know it's not you. I know it's not you" Gwen to 'Evil' Arthur "I have to do this" Elyan to Arthur

Yeah, it occurred to me last night (after I posted, of course *sigh*) that the "Evil Merlin" thing might mean a hallucination Gwen was having. I guess this proves it. Maybe Morgana is trying to make Gwen feel that the people she trusts are evil, and that Morgana is the only one who cares about her. Classic brainwashing technique. Morgana hasn't had a lot of luck forcing people to help her with enchantment, so maybe she's trying her hand at psychological torture. *shiver*

It's a great opportunity for the actors to show their stuff, but I'll admit, I'm not looking forward to seeing Colin Morgan act evil. It's SO wrong!

Edited on 11/09/2012 10:54am

boom-moo

[1437]Nov 9, 2012
    5x06 review here.

More 5x08 promo pics here.

BrightlyLit wrote:

What's this "evil" Arthur? She must be having some kind of hallucinations or a vision or something.

Gwen's torture includes seeing false visions of Arthur and other Camelot people mocking her.
    Edited on 11/09/2012 1:22pm
    Edited 2 total times.

Hiflying

[1438]Nov 10, 2012
    boom moo wrote:
    see your point, Hiflying and you are right but the thing is that I can't recall that it's ever been stated that Arthur is gonna be killed by Mordred or that he would die at the hands of Mordred. I could be wrong here (as I can't look properly into the matter atm) but the statements that I recall haven't been that specific.
    That's true I don't remember anyone besides Merlin actually saying the words and I do like the theory that Mordred will trap Merlin in the crystal cave, preventing him from helping Arthur. But I just feel that from all the warnings Merlin has had something pretty bad should happen to Arthur to justify them.

boom-moo

[1439]Nov 10, 2012
    Hiflying wrote:
    I just feel that from all the warnings Merlin has had something pretty bad should happen to Arthur to justify them.
    I think so as well. From what I've heard, actually Merlin does go to the Crystal Cave in episode 13 to try and see the future so that he could change a tragic future from taking place. We'll see!

5x07 review here:

"We’ve known King Arthur to be pig-headed before, but his blindness to the truth has dire consequences this week as season five hits the halfway mark. After the blinkered royal falls from his mount during an ambush by brigands, he rounds on poor stablehand Tyr and accuses him of sabotage. Anyone who saw last week’s cheery chapter in the Dark Tower will know who’s really to blame, and even though Merlin turns detective to draw out the culprit, he’s soon fighting against time.

But Merlin’s amusingly crabby alter ego makes an overdue return, and the line “Keep yer grubby hands off my dumplings” is a surprise, so it’s not all doom and gloom."

And 5x07 more details here:

"King Arthur is the target of a dangerous assassin:his wife and queen, Guinevere."

Gwen tampering with Arthur's saddle then...
    Edited on 11/10/2012 4:19am

Hiflying

[1440]Nov 10, 2012
    [QUOTE="RoundPinkSpider

I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to imply that Merlin had no reason for concern. I'm sure that, if Merlin did nothing, it would result in disaster. I had just gotten the impression that some people were assuming that, since Mordred is present and Merlin saw the vision, that meant that Arthur was definitely going to die THIS season. I was just trying to stand outside the fourth wall and say, "Hey, the writers have played this game before, don't give up."

[/QUOTE] I agree, I'm personally hoping that he will die but they find a way to bring him back next season (please let there be a sixth season) like a Captain Jack kind of thing, with a quest and everything. That way it will take some time and effort to bring him back so it won't be a convenient saved at the last second situation, but Arthur won't stay dead. If this is the last I doubt they'll have time to do anything like that. It's just my best case senerio. Side note, I cannot wait to see evil versions of all the good guys, it's gonna be great =)

Sorry for the double post. I don't know how to quote 2 people at once.