Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

Series 5 spoilers thread

trek

[1461]Nov 11, 2012
    • level: 3

BBC Points of View had a piece on Merlin again with a clip from 5x07 - Hopefully someone will upload it to Youtube:

Anyway here's what was in it:

- More startled horses - this time Arthur's by some kind of smoke bomb, and he is thrown off. Seems to be alone with Gwen and Merlin - on the way back from the picnic scene mentioned before perhaps?

- Merlin shouts before we see a character I don't recognise running out of the woods towards him - Arthur pulls out sword

Not spoiler related but also we hear a bit from Katie (Morgana), Alexander (Mordred), and Rupert (Leon) about how the show is coming along - they also show an opinion from the message board about how they could continue the story - although we don't here any direct response to that.

For people in the UK you can see it on iPlayer:http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01nwrcr/Points_of_View_2012_Episode_19/

Edited on 11/11/2012 6:08am
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

boom-moo

[1462]Nov 11, 2012
    • level: 75
    Here it is.

Ivyteainn

[1463]Nov 11, 2012
    • level: 1

Hiflying wrote:
    [QUOTE="RoundPinkSpider

I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to imply that Merlin had no reason for concern. I'm sure that, if Merlin did nothing, it would result in disaster. I had just gotten the impression that some people were assuming that, since Mordred is present and Merlin saw the vision, that meant that Arthur was definitely going to die THIS season. I was just trying to stand outside the fourth wall and say, "Hey, the writers have played this game before, don't give up."

I agree, I'm personally hoping that he will die but they find a way to bring him back next season (please let there be a sixth season) like a Captain Jack kind of thing, with a quest and everything. That way it will take some time and effort to bring him back so it won't be a convenient saved at the last second situation, but Arthur won't stay dead. If this is the last I doubt they'll have time to do anything like that. It's just my best case senerio. Side note, I cannot wait to see evil versions of all the good guys, it's gonna be great =) Sorry for the double post. I don't know how to quote 2 people at once. [/QUOTE]

Arthur will probably get killed by Modred. However, there is the Cup of Life at the Isle of the Blessed that could be used to save him. Of course, the Old Religion calls for a "life for a life". Otherwise, the prophecy that Arthur and Merlin will return magic to the land will not take place.

As for the 6th season, I would wait and see what happens. Write the BBC if you like. Don't listen to the "prophets of gloom" since you don't know who they really are. More than likely, the people with the biggest mouths don't really know anything.

Edited on 11/11/2012 10:13am

MarisilviaBov

[1464]Nov 11, 2012

I couldn't write the problem now solved, and one thing I ask there will be other moving moments for Merlin? I ask this because I love the touching moments of Arthur cared for Merlin! and thou (boom moo) need to excuse me if I double-post!

boom-moo

[1465]Nov 11, 2012
    "about the first line of the teasers [This is nice isn't it? Just the two of us], I think that is actually told by Arthur to Gwen or vice versa whilst they are on a picnic. I saw some pictures of a scene apparently where they go for a picnic and from the teaser of the next episode, it seems that they were on their way to such a picnic as Arthur is wearing his white shirt, and there is only Merlin and Gwen with them."
    -"The opening of the episode is a special day for the King and Queen, I think it could be the same picnic "
    Source.

Just in case, the picnic scene was filmed on September 13th. Links to pics and reports in posts #9 y #10.

boom-moo wrote:
    September 13th:
    -Another scene had Arthur, Gwen and Merlin riding in from a picnic to find Leon tending (distributing food) to some distressed villagers on the floor who seemed to be ill, or hungry and very, very dirty. Arthur asks then to Leon what happened (it seems that the illness/famine was something sudden) Sir Leon comes to Arthur and shows him food on a table.

JanetteCassar

[1466]Nov 11, 2012
    • level: 6

boom-moo wrote:
    "about the first line of the teasers [This is nice isn't it? Just the two of us], I think that is actually told by Arthur to Gwen or vice versa whilst they are on a picnic. I saw some pictures of a scene apparently where they go for a picnic and from the teaser of the next episode, it seems that they were on their way to such a picnic as Arthur is wearing his white shirt, and there is only Merlin and Gwen with them." -"The opening of the episode is a special day for the King and Queen, I think it could be the same picnic " Source. Just in case, the picnic scene was filmed on September 13th. Links to pics and reports in posts #9 y #10.
    boom-moo wrote:
    September 13th: -Another scene had Arthur, Gwen and Merlin riding in from a picnic to find Leon tending (distributing food) to some distressed villagers on the floor who seemed to be ill, or hungry and very, very dirty. Arthur asks then to Leon what happened (it seems that the illness/famine was something sudden) Sir Leon comes to Arthur and shows him food on a table.

hehe that is my doing you posted above

well... I had sworn to stay away from Merlin because I was very very pissed off at the way the story is developing... I didn't see Saturday's episode yet, just saw the final scene since I was curious about it... yet I stayed away from forums etc. However I did see the trailer for next week's episode and I was kinda curious about that picnic scene. When I saw Sandi's teasers I sort of confirmed. I am still furious since there are no decent Arwen moments really... and I need to know from Sandi if their moments will from now on be twisted. What I fear is that this blessed picnic scene which I, and many others, were looking forward to, will probably be twisted, since Gwen will probably be enchanted, i.e. not in her own self, and further i.e. will not really be in a state of happiness, and so what could be a huge moment for Arwen, will not be nice at all!!!

let's hope Sandi can spoil me further

Hiflying

[1467]Nov 11, 2012

Ivyteainn wrote:
    Arthur will probably get killed by Modred. However, there is the Cup of Life at the Isle of the Blessed that could be used to save him. Of course, the Old Religion calls for a "life for a life". Otherwise, the prophecy that Arthur and Merlin will return magic to the land will not take place. As for the 6th season, I would wait and see what happens. Write the BBC if you like. Don't listen to the "prophets of gloom" since you don't know who they really are. More than likely, the people with the biggest mouths don't really know anything.
    I forgot the cup of life! but like you said someone would have to die to use it. Maybe that's how they kill off Mordred or Morgana? I would say she could redeem herself by sacrificing herself for Arthur but I think she's too far gone now for that to be believable. If they do use the cup of life though it would be a little too similar to the Nimue and Gaius incident in season 1 for it to really be satifactory for me. My sister keeps telling we won't know for sure that there won't be a 6th season until they officially annouce it and I hope you are both right. Speaking about the end, the thing I've alway found strange about Morgana's vision of Dragoon is she's asking for his help. If someone has just kicked your behind you're not going to lie there begging them to help you. If she was begging him not to hurt her that would be another thing. It suggests that Merlin wasn't the one to beat her up. The place the vision is at looks like the perilous lands which is filled with quickand, so my theory is this: the huge battle happens in the perilous lands,during the battle Mordred turns on Morgana andpushes her into quicksand and whileshe's sinking Old Merlin walks up and I think he mightchange back into young Merlin at that point in front of her. Probably asilly theory but I like it=)

Edited on 11/11/2012 4:29pm

boom-moo

[1468]Nov 11, 2012
    But didn't the Cup of Life get lost at the end of 3x13?
    Edited on 11/11/2012 4:01pm

Hiflying

[1469]Nov 11, 2012
    Yes so maybe my quest idea will come true with them trying to find it =)

boom-moo

[1470]Nov 11, 2012

5x08 full cast list here.

Merlin - Colin Morgan
    Arthur - Bradley James
    Morgana - Katie McGrath
    Gwen - Angel Coulby
    Gaius - Richard Wilson
    Mordred - Alexander Vlahos
    Sir Gwaine - Eoin Macken
    Sir Percival - Tom Hopper
    Sir Leon - Rupert Young

Guest Stars
    The Sarrum - John Shrapnel
    Daegal - Alfie Stewart
    Albin - Matthew Clancy
    Gerin - Mitch Benn
    Voice of the Dragon - John Hurt

Crew
    Director - Alice Troughton
    Executive Producer - Johnny Capps
    Executive Producer - Julian Murphy
    Writer - Julian Jones

More 5x07 teasers here:

» ‘What would you know about the King and my dumplings?’
    » Who will ruminates on red thread?
    » Expect the return of a couple of old faces.
    » A surprising inclination towards cross-dressing will be expressed.
    » How will Morgana deal with poor customer service?
    » Who will be interrupted checking for holes?
    » Are Camelot’s guards provided by G4S?
    » ‘I would not let that happen. I would lay down my life to protect you.’
    » Who will deliver heart-felt bedside pep talk?
    » A heart will be broken.

5x09 summary here:

"Merlin knows he must act fast before Morgana’s twisted control over Gwen gets further out of hand.

But only the most powerful magic can save the Queen and this will not be easy, even for Merlin. As the High Priestess tightens her grip on Camelot, one thing is clear - she will not give up her puppet without a fight.

Colin Morgan is Merlin, Bradley James is Arthur, Angel Coulby is Gwen, Katie McGrath is Morgana, Richard Wilson is Gaius and John Hurt is the voice of the Great Dragon. Tom Hopper, Rupert Young, and Eoin Macken return as The Knights of the Round Table."

Edited on 11/12/2012 5:51am
    Edited 2 total times.

ShonaHerring

[1471]Nov 12, 2012
    • level: 2
    "But only the most powerful magic can save the Queen and this will not be easy, even for Merlin. As the High Priestess tightens her grip on Camelot, one thing is clear - she will not give up her puppet without a fight."

Is it Me or does the last part sound like a Magic reveal between Merlin and Morgana is gonna be happening ? Hope so think its about time for her to find out

boom-moo

[1472]Nov 12, 2012
    Alexandra Dowling will play Kara in an episode directed by Declan O'Dwyer Source.

From a source different to this one I've been told that it is ep 11 indeed and that Mordred will also be featured in it.
    Edited on 11/12/2012 8:57am

PendragonLady

[1473]Nov 12, 2012
    • level: 4

Odd. The airing times for the episodes this season have been all over the board. Why?

illegalferret

[1474]Nov 12, 2012
    • level: 25

PendragonLady wrote:

Odd. The airing times for the episodes this season have been all over the board. Why?

The show before Merlin is a reality tv show (Strictly Come Dancing) and every week a contestant leaves so the show keeps getting shorter. Which is why Merlin keeps starting earlier and earlier each week.

Question: Do we know who held Morgana prisoner for 2 years yet? Only i was thinking to hold her with all her powers for 2 years the capture must have some strong magical powers! (or a dungeon like Camelot's where no-one ever thinks to use magic to escape their cell!)

boom-moo

[1475]Nov 12, 2012
    illegalferret wrote:

Question: Do we know who held Morgana prisoner for 2 years yet? Only i was thinking to hold her with all her powers for 2 years the capture must have some strong magical powers! (or a dungeon like Camelot's where no-one ever thinks to use magic to escape their cell!)

We don't but there's this spoiler:

boom-moo wrote:
    5x08 features a character described as the fearsome "Sarrum of Amata". Now, the scene in 5x02 where Morgana has a nightmare about her and Aithusa trapped in a dungeon (which was originally included in the 5x01 script) is prefaced as Amata (Amata being the name of the location where the dungeon is).

So apparently this fearsome Sarrum comes from the place where the dungeon where Morgana was kept is located. No idea if Sarrum is behind Morgana's kidnapping (we only know that she has been kpet captive by someone who is anti-magic) but if it is Sarrum, then it wouldn't make much sense for him to want Arthur dead (since both are in the same league when it comes to magic).

illegalferret

[1476]Nov 12, 2012

boom-moo wrote:
    illegalferret wrote:

We don't but there's this spoiler:
    boom-moo wrote:
    5x08 features a character described as the fearsome "Sarrum of Amata". Now, the scene in 5x02 where Morgana has a nightmare about her and Aithusa trapped in a dungeon (which was originally included in the 5x01 script) is prefaced as Amata (Amata being the name of the location where the dungeon is).
    So apparently this fearsome Sarrum comes from the place where the dungeon where Morgana was kept is located. No idea if Sarrum is behind Morgana's kidnapping (we only know that she has been kpet captive by someone who is anti-magic) but if it is Sarrum, then it wouldn't make much sense for him to want Arthur dead (since both are in the same league when it comes to magic).

I knew you'd have some sort of an answer for me Thank you!

boom-moo

[1477]Nov 12, 2012
    A bit more: Morgana has been held captive by a character (a bandit king as a consequence of her having magic Source) who will appear later in the season Source.

illegalferret

[1478]Nov 12, 2012

Interesting! I'm looking forward to meeting this character. I like how they've slowly released Morgana's most recent back story to us, it's nice to have pictures build up gradually whether being shown everything at once. I wonder how this Bandit King fits in, as an Arthur ally or as a villian (that Morgana isn't fond of either!) If he is an ally it will be interesting to see how Merlin and Mordred deal with him considering their backgrounds!

MuadhAbdulHam

[1479]Nov 12, 2012
    • level: 2

merlin has escaped a couple of times from camelots cells

RoundPinkSpider

[1480]Nov 12, 2012
    • level: 4

MuadhAbdulHam wrote:

merlin has escaped a couple of times from camelots cells

Most permeable prison cells ever. Maybe this evil bandit king has something to teach the architects of the dungeon. How did Uther manage to capture and execute all those sorcerers during the Purge if his cells can't hold sorcerers???

illegalferret wrote:

I wonder how this Bandit King fits in, as an Arthur ally or as a villian (that Morgana isn't fond of either!)

I think when they say 'Bandit King,' they might mean a leader of bandits, rather than an actual king. You know, like the Pirate King in Pirates of Penzance. I can't imagine Arthur being the ally of a bandit leader. I can, however, imagine a Bandit King wanting to get rid of Arthur. He's got to be bad for business.

Hiflying wrote:

I forgot the cup of life! but like you said someone would have to die to use it.

No, that wasn't the reason someone had to die in that episode. That was the whole balance thing. According to Gaius, the Questing Beast's presence was a sign that someone was destined to die, and its poison was universally fatal. Since Arthur's death was unavoidable in the natural order, if he was to be saved by magic, someone else would have to die in his place. The druids later used the Cup of Life to save Sir Leon without sacrificing anyone's life (at least, that we know about). I guess that means Leon's death wasn't unavoidable.

The Cup of Life can't bring someone back from the dead. Otherwise, the druids wouldn't have been hurrying to use it on Leon before his spirit left his body. On the other hand... according to many of the Arthur stories, Arthur didn't die immediately when Mordred wounded him. He lived for several days, dying either of poison or infection. If they stretched that out, they could play that out with the Cup of Life. And the idea of a quest for the Cup of Life in the next season is a good one. In the legends, I believe it WAS Merlin who suggested a quest for the Grail.

Just one thing missing (besides the Cup ): no Sir Galahad yet. Galahad was the knight who actually found the Grail. And they could have some fun with the Galahad character, you know. Galahad was the son of Lancelot and, um... Lady Elaine? I forget. In the legend, I think Guinevere and Lancelot had a fight, and he left Camelot for years, fell in love, got married, and had a son. Since we've been told Lance isn't coming back, they could have the son of Lancelot (and that water-spirit?) return via the Lake of Avalon to aid in the Quest to save Arthur.

Guinevere was supposedly deeply upset that Lancelot had fallen in love with someone else. Not very fair of her, since she was already married to Arthur. That could provide some good tension in the show.

Edited on 11/12/2012 1:18pm
    Edited 5 total times.