Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

Series 5 spoilers thread

telytubie

[161]Apr 16, 2012
    • level: 3

boom-moo wrote:
    Merlin filming wolves in Wales with wolves and fake snow pictures here and here. Edit: The original source (cameraman Ryan Edwards) has removed the twitters. You can see the pictures here.

I didn't even notice that's Colin standing at the bottom of the stairs when I first looked at the original source. Imagine he'd look up, talk and interact with a camera (ref the dragon)

The reference to the wolves quoted at the livejournal site was very interesting..... sounds like either one might fit in, with a bit of a twist of course. And base on the picture, Merlin's likely involved but not sure the camera represent the dragon's view. If that's the case, maybe the dragon flew Merlin to somewhere faraway northhence the snowy scenes?

Edited on 04/16/2012 4:05am
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

boom-moo

[162]Apr 16, 2012
    • level: 75
    Or maybe the dragon saves him from the attack of a wolf?

fantasyfreak77

[163]Apr 16, 2012
    • level: 14
    Perhaps Merlin's been cursed to transform into a wolf and Kilgharrah's the only one to break the spell? A LARGE stretch there, I know.

Connor91

[164]Apr 17, 2012
    • level: 6
    boom-moo wrote:
    Thank you, we heard I've added a note to post #2 as follows:

boom-moo wrote:
    -Joseph Mawle to return as Alvarr in eps 5x01 and 5x02: "Yes! It's exciting I know! Last time I was in it my character just disappeared and I wondered if we'd see him again, and here we are! Only the first two episodes of the series but I'm still stoked!" Source and Source ---> This information was apparently a hoax due to April Fools Source.

Call me crazy but I remain unconvinced that it was a hoax. Time will tell, I guess.

I agree, I remain unconvinced as well. His character is hardly important enough for it to be an April Fools 'hoax' in my opinion, a hoax would be like Richard Wilson tweeting about his death scene or Bradley and Colin tweeting about their love scene or something haha. I'll be very surprised if Alvarr isn't involved in Mordered's re-introduction.

boom-moo

[165]Apr 17, 2012
    Connor91 wrote:
    I agree, I remain unconvinced as well. His character is hardly important enough for it to be an April Fools 'hoax' in my opinion
    Exactly my thoughts! And the fact that they mentioned that it'd be just for the opening two parter... too detailed to be random (and very much fitting storyline wise).

legend-dreamer

[166]Apr 17, 2012
    • level: 13

The sudden diappearance of camerman Ryan Edward's own tweets and pics, plus the Joseph Mawle (Alvarr) supposed "hoax" make me think even more that TPTB are running a very tight ship. Just before filming started Alicemerlin's "Merlin" twitter account was closed and Sara Hamill said to look to Merlinofficial and "signed off".

I think they are watching social media accounts very closely, it seems more so since Alex Vlahos as Mordred was leaked out. (AV initially tweeted that he had to be hush-hush about his new acting job and then when it was discovered he was surprised and unsure how it was found out.)

It will be interesting to see how they handle filming at Pierrefonds in June and September.

boom-moo

[167]Apr 17, 2012
    Sounds more and more to me like season 5 is gonna be the last.

JJuna

[168]Apr 17, 2012
    • level: 11

If this is so, it's very disappointing. Although the original plan was for five seasons, TPTB have shown that they can change their minds. I really hoped that they would give us more. However, I agree that it seems the most likely explanation for the extreme secrecy It makes me wonder how 'conclusive' the ending will be. I hope it would end with the uniting of Albion, and not with the death of Arthur. After the events of last season, anything is possible.

boom-moo

[169]Apr 17, 2012
    JJuna wrote:
    Although the original plan was for five seasons, TPTB have shown that they can change their minds.
    I wonder how much of that was TPTB's idea or just TPTB adapting to the circumstances (expiring contracts or just stuff we are unaware of). They've said too often that they had planned to end the show when Arthur became king only to suddenly rush it two seasons earlier than originally intended.

boom-moo wrote:
    -Do you already know the ending for the show's last ever episode?
    -Julian: "Yeah, we don't know which series that'll be in, but we've always had an idea of how we would end it, absolutely. Obviously to some extend the legend had written it for us. The story of Arthur's death is a very well told one, but our version of it isn't quite the same as everyone else's, we'll give it our twist. But yeah, strangely enough we've had an idea since the very beginning." Source.
    Looks like they have an idea of what their version of Arthur's death is gonna be. Although, knowing TPTB, that "twist" can be quite something.

JJuna

[170]Apr 17, 2012

Thanks! I read that interview before but completely forgot about it. It's intriguing but how can he really die so early? How will they have the time to establish him as the great King of legend first? I imagined the story taking place over many years. This would really be the condensed version.

boom-moo

[171]Apr 17, 2012
    I've no idea but Arthu doesn't need to die young, they might press the fast forward button, use one of those handy future visions or whatever.

JJuna

[172]Apr 17, 2012

Hmmm, we might get to see Bradley with similar make up to Dragoon then If they did use such a device, it would still potentially leave years of untold story but it could work very well in bringing the series to a satisfying conclusion.

boom-moo

[173]Apr 17, 2012
    Apparently all those middle years of untold story were never part of TPTB's original plan and since Arthur has been crowned king already maybe a glimpse into his death has become and alternate curtain call.

telytubie

[174]Apr 18, 2012
    Well, they'd put Arthur into a magical version of 'cryonic' state or something leaving the door open to bring him back if so needed, and they'd still adhere to a certain version of the legend.

I don't know about the *true* version but from the few I'd remember watching, Arthur seems to die rather young while Merlin lived to a very old age. Make sense to me as I don't see how Mordred will take so long to kill him.

boom-moo

[175]Apr 18, 2012
    But Morgana was an old woman though in her Emrys vision of the battle where Arthur fell, right?

fernajen

[176]Apr 18, 2012
    boom-moo wrote:
    But Morgana was an old woman though in her Emrys vision of the battle where Arthur fell, right?

I think it's unclear how old she is. Morgana sounds like she could be old but she's also injured. Her voice shaking could be attributed to fear and blood loss. Her hand doesn't look withered, but that could just be the angle.

telytubie

[177]Apr 18, 2012

@ Boo-moo.... Yes, that's what I've assumed as well but we didn't actually see Arthur or Mordred in that vision, though I think I saw excalibur? TPTB probably tried to be ambiguous. To be honest, that vision don't make much sense to me if as TPTB said the legend has written the ending for them. We may expect Merlin and Morgana's fight to continue on to their old age but to have Mordred killed Arthur even in a great battle when everyone is like 80 years old sound rather meh to me as legend goes

BTW, which episode has the Emrys vision? Funny I can't find it now It just struck me that when they said "glimpse of the future" could it be like 6 years in the future rather than 60 years? I can't remember now if Colin or anyone ever said that's real-time Merlin and not Dragoon.

Edited on 04/18/2012 6:12am

boom-moo

[178]Apr 18, 2012
    fernajen wrote:
    boom-moo wrote:

I think it's unclear how old she is. Morgana sounds like she could be old but she's also injured. Her voice shaking could be attributed to fear and blood loss. Her hand doesn't look withered, but that could just be the angle.
    I have to rewatch and I could be wrong but as I remember it, it was the hand which made me thought the most that she was old.

Ok, upon rewatching I still think her hand looks old although I admit that the shaky voice is misleading.

Here goes the vision, telytubie

telytubie wrote:
    @ Boo-moo.... Yes, that's what I've assumed as well but we didn't actually see Arthur or Mordred in that vision, though I think I saw excalibur?
    Yes, Excalibur is definitely there.

Interview with Julian Murphy (Part 1) here. Nothing new though:

Merlin Season 4 saw King Arthur has yank excalibur from the stone, marry his fair maiden Guinevere, and the knights of the Round Table took their seats. We caught up with co-creator Julian Murphy to see what's in store for series 5. "We're very interested in Merlin's development," says Murphy, "and Arthur as the king of the Round Table and that legend. The fully fledged Camelot is something we're getting towards, and that opens up a whole raft of legends and possibilities."

Merlin has reluctantly killed enemies before to protect the king but as he grows in to the sorcerer of legend, Merlin seems more akin to his badass alter ego, Emrys. This is something the writers are looking to resume when the show returns. "I think it's interesting because you saw a glimpse at the end of last series, particularly when he killed Agravaine, where he was becoming a much more stronger, focused and powerful character," adds Murphy, "and we're really interested in taking him on that journeywith all its dangers and the temptations it will bring, so that will be a big part of the fifth series."

As for Merlin's mortal enemy, Morgana, Murphy says he "doesn't see her getting any less powerful. She's growing into a stronger and more committed enemy than ever before. The stakes are becoming higher now that Arthur is king and the future of Albion is being created. There's more for Merlin to fight for and more for him to protect." It has since been revealed that another enemy will be joining Morgana this series, with actor Alexander Vlahos taking on the role of an older Mordred. Murphy told SciFiNow that "he has a job to do at the end of the story."

Just in case anyone wants to try their luck...

Hello #Merlin Fans! As we are only in the early stages of filming Series 5 we can't tweet much news yet for fear of spoilers! ..but what sort of tweets would you like to see about the past four Series' so you can still get your #Merlin fix!?! Source.

Some rumours coming from a source (user lil_miss_blonde at the DS forums) that last year proved reliable:

-Morgana wears the same dress as in series 4 but with a different coat to the long black one.
    -Aithusa (a girl now?) is helping an even more evil and with no redeeming qualities Morgana.
    -Eoin's involvement in other projects doesn't mean less Gwaine time, just a different shooting schedule.
    -Mordred hasn't revealed to Morgana that Merlin is Emrys and he doesn't plan to.
    -Gaius remains around for series 5.
    -Liam Cunningham appears in the opening two-parter episode, also featuring Saxons, snow and wolves.
    Source.

Some speculation now:
    -Morgana's costume change will happen after the first block. She will remain committed to her cause and an eventual change of heart might depend on the possibility of the show being renewed.
    -Mordred is keeping his cards close to his chest at the moment, being nice to both Arthur and Morgana seeing as he owes both his life after they smuggled him out of Camelot.
    -Despite being a Dragonlord Merlin is gonna face a few problems regarding Aithusa.
    Source.

Edited on 04/19/2012 4:31pm
    Edited 7 total times.

legend-dreamer

[179]Apr 20, 2012
    • level: 13

Liam Cunningham is confirmed as a guest star for Series 5, plus confirmation that Lindsay Duncan (Queen Annis) is returning and also Janet Montgomery (Princess Mithian) here.

It seems odd that this article again mentions the possibility of continuing past Series 5. Is this going to be a continual hint tease??

Edited on 04/20/2012 8:09am

boom-moo

[180]Apr 20, 2012
    Sounds like Arthur might be forming alliances (he ended in good terms with both Annis and Mithian), I love it that two women are thrown in the mix