Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

Should Arthur know about Merlin's magic

Do you think Arthur should find out about Merlin's magic?

Flexie52

[1]Nov 1, 2009
    • level: 6

I'm so excited about next week's episode The Witchfinder so I thought I would make this poll to see what other people think and if they think he should find out in next week's episode.

So I would love to hear when you want Arthur to find out if you want him to?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

boom-moo

[2]Nov 1, 2009
    • level: 75
    I'd like for Arthur to remain ignorant of Merlin's gift for magic yet. I like the arrogance and self confidence that it brings to him, although it be nice to see him questioning those when his time comes to learn that Merlin has saved his life in many occasions, that he is not the almighty future king that depends on his strength and judgement only, and that he is gonna need to learn how to rely on others for his sake and Camelot's. He is already proven to be very different from his father in his approach to magic, to rule the kingdom and to deal with personal issues. I guess he still need to progress a bit in his character traits before being able to cope with something that big as learning about Merlin. When its time comes, it would offer a nice confrontation between Uther and Arthur. I just wouldn't do it yet, maybe at the very end of season 2 and leave those plots for season 3. I think this second season could still offer a lot of character development and adventure as it is.

ZeroCals

[3]Nov 1, 2009

Y.E.S. God, I'm so sick of the plot not developing. This episodic crap is almost as bad as the first season. Sure, I like the show. Yes, I like the actors. There are always funny bits, and the show has potential, but there is never solid plot or character development. It's almost as if the writers are afraid to progress the story because, oh no, it would eventually end.

Almost every episode ends with one of the characters learning some worth-while life lesson. So, my question is, why do they instantly revert back to their normal selves the very next episode? I know human behavior doesn't instantly change, but after 6 different episodes about Arthur learning to appreciate Merlin, you would think the writers would throw some other kind of scenarios in there to further the story. For instance, a sub-plot involving Arthur starting to suspect Merlin of using magic would be good. It could lead to episodes involving him trying to trap Merlin into using magic, or contemplating what his actions would be if he did find out Merlin was a magic-user. Obviously he doesn't hold the same beliefs as his father, but the possible outcomes sound interesting, right?

The big thing is: throw something fresh at us. The sub-plot with Arthur and Gwen is nice because of the whole class-distinction thing, but maybe even more so because it's something new. I can only watch so many episodes of Merlin saving Arthur's life unbeknownst to him, or vice versa, without story progression. There's no need to rush to a conclusion, but all-out avoiding character conflict makes for very boring television. Like I said, I believe this show has potential, but only if the writers start creating a pace for the story(not picking up the pace, but just having one in general). That way, even if Arthur finds out about Merlin's magic this season, the show won't lose all its interest or appeal. I mean, Arthur finding out Merlin can use magic doesn't necessarily mean others will, and it could even be the beginning for a bigger story-arc. These are just my tired ramblings though...

boom-moo

[4]Nov 2, 2009
    ZeroCals wrote:
    So, my question is, why do they instantly revert back to their normal selves the very next episode? I know human behavior doesn't instantly change, but after 6 different episodes about Arthur learning to appreciate Merlin, you would think the writers would throw some other kind of scenarios in there to further the story.
    I agree, it's really getting old. I don't want for Arthur to find out about it yet, but I think the show could develop without the constant reverting back, it's really as if characters are pushed the reset button.

HappyGirl818

[5]Nov 4, 2009
    • level: 10

I think Arthur needs to learn about Merlins magic eventually, but just not right now. I think if Arthur knew Merlin's secret it would take some of the humor and fun out of their relationship.

I do however really want someone new to learn about Merlin's magic soon! I'm so sick of he only having Gaius know about it. I think it would be cool if Morgana found out considering what she just discovered about herself, but that's a little too risky. So I'm hoping maybe Gwen will find out soon.

boom-moo

[6]Nov 4, 2009
    It'd be interesting if Gwen gets to know about it before Arthur does, because that way, if their romance goes on, she would be a bit trapped in the middle between keeping Merlin's secret and being honest/loyal (can't find the proper word) to Arthur and Camelot.

Madelynn1984

[7]Nov 6, 2009
    The obvious person to find out next is Gwen. I want it to be Arthur first, though, because I think it would be cool for Arthur to have to help with the cover-ups. It would create a much deeper bond between him and Merlin, which is kind of the whole point. I did like the previous commenter's suggestion that Arthur suspects the truth and tries to force Merlin to reveal his secret.

electricpeppers

[8]Nov 24, 2009
    • level: 26
    HappyGirl818 wrote:

I think Arthur needs to learn about Merlins magic eventually, but just not right now. I think if Arthur knew Merlin's secret it would take some of the humor and fun out of their relationship.

I do however really want someone new to learn about Merlin's magic soon! I'm so sick of he only having Gaius know about it. I think it would be cool if Morgana found out considering what she just discovered about herself, but that's a little too risky. So I'm hoping maybe Gwen will find out soon.

Totally agree.

Geordiegirl1967

[9]Nov 25, 2009
    • level: 5
    I want it to be Arthur. I think the series woudl still work fine with it as a shared secret between them, with Arthur helping to keep it secret from Uther.

Also there is no plot imperative for Gwen or anyone else to find out, whereas it is getting increasingly unbelievable (to quote Victor Meldrew) that Arthur does not know.

boom-moo

[10]Nov 25, 2009
    Geordiegirl1967 wrote:
    it is getting increasingly unbelievable (to quote Victor Meldrew) that Arthur does not know.
    I agree, it's reaching a point where Arthur looks like the dumbest future king ever. Also, and much in agreement with Bradley's own wish (as expressed in the A Night Less Ordinary Interview for those who have watched it) Arthur should figure it out by himself.

HappyGirl818

[11]Apr 9, 2011
    • level: 10

Okay, so I posted here nearly a year and a half ago saying I didn't think it was time for Arthur to know about Merlin's magic. Well that was then and this is now! I have totally flipped on this issue, before when I used to think it was comical that Arthur didn't know has now turned into frustration. I was really hoping he'd find out somehow in the season three finale (which just aired last night in the States) but sadly no. Hopefully he finds out in season four otherwise I might go crazy lol

boom-moo

[12]Apr 10, 2011
    Hello again, HappyGirl818

Please note that the forum has been rearranged in everyone's best interest ever since this thread was first opened. Now there's a thread for every character and ship, and to avoid cluttering the forum, old and/or dead threads or new ones shouldn't be opened unless there's anywhere else where the topic could fit and be discussed. We appreciate all contributions but we also like to follow the rules and keep a clear and accesible forum for new users to easily find their way around, let alone to comply to the site regulations. The existing Arthur/Merlin thread can be found here and that is the place to hold discussion around them. You are most welcome to move the discussion over there.

In case of any doubt, you can go through the Posting Rules threads, which are also pinned at the top of the page, so you can know where you post what. You can also pm me anytime.

Have fun around!