Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

The Best and Worst of "MERLIN"

legend-dreamer

[601]Jun 16, 2012
    • level: 13

He was only on for one series, but what areThe Best/Worst Agravaine Moments.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

boom-moo

[602]Jun 20, 2012
    • level: 75
    Best... hard to pin point and not strictly an Agravaine moment per se but I'd go with him realizing that Merlin has magic.

I also liked his (faked) reluctance to accept Camelots' command should anything would happen to Arthur. The scene is very well acted. And him saving Morgana's life after her battle with Merlin in the forest.

Worst... (although not bad moves at all considering Agravaine's purposes) turning Arthur against Gwen or making Arthur kill Caerleon.

ACDiNosey

[603]Jun 20, 2012
    • level: 28
    I find the moment where Gwen is sat in his "office" particularly creepy, which I guess would make it a worst for me...

I agree with the "you are Emrys" as his finest moment, although some of his doe-eyed stares at Morgana are also worthy of notice.

ForeverArwen94

[604]Jun 20, 2012
    • level: 3
    I have to agree that Agravaine's best moment was probably when he realized the Merlin is Emrys. As for worst, I'd like to say appearing at all, because I pretty much detested his character, but if I had to pin it down, it would be all of the weird sort of creepiness surrounding his feelings for Morgana. I didn't like whatever TPTB were trying to hint at there.

illegalferret

[605]Jun 21, 2012
    • level: 25

ForeverArwen94 wrote:
    I have to agree that Agravaine's best moment was probably when he realized the Merlin is Emrys.

Yes that look was priceless!

Worst: We never found out why he sided with Morgana in the first place!!!

ForeverArwen94

[606]Jun 21, 2012
    illegalferret wrote:

ForeverArwen94 wrote:
    I have to agree that Agravaine's best moment was probably when he realized the Merlin is Emrys.

Yes that look was priceless!

Worst: We never found out why he sided with Morgana in the first place!!!

I had sort of forgotten about that! But I totally agree though that the fact that his motive was never revealed to us is dreadful.

legend-dreamer

[607]Jun 21, 2012

I found it hard to choose a Best/Worst Agravaine moment and it is my topic this week

I also agree with everyone about Agravaine discovering that Merlin is Emrys as the best. For me the worst was when he set up Gaius as the traitor, he was the master of manipulation.

fantasyfreak77

[608]Jun 22, 2012
    • level: 14

I agree with Sarah! We never did find out exactly why he was on Morgana's side, and though I was happy to start teasing and joking every time Agravaine made a move on Morgana, I never liked those moments either. For my favorite, I agree with everyone else. Oh! And I'm quite fond of all his slow-mo scenes in 4x12/13.

______

Topic for this week is: Best/Worst Piece of Gaius Wisdom.

Edited on 06/22/2012 9:23pm
    Edited 2 total times.

dpebbleson

[609]Jun 26, 2012
    • level: 23
    My favourite Gaius wisdom is actually the one that can be found in the signature of our forum-friend, legend-dreamer: "Contained within this great kingdom is a rich variety of people, with a range of different beliefs." Encouraging pluralism at its best

legend-dreamer

[610]Jun 26, 2012

dpebbleson wrote:
    My favourite Gaius wisdom is actually the one that can be found in the signature of our forum-friend, legend-dreamer: "Contained within this great kingdom is a rich variety of people, with a range of different beliefs." Encouraging pluralism at its best
    I have been racking my brain trying to choose a Best Gaius word of wisdom and it has been under my nose this whole time!

My worst would be the times Gaius tells Merlin not to tell Arthur about those who are betraying him (Morgana, Agravaine).

fantasyfreak77

[611]Jun 26, 2012
    • level: 14
    legend-dreamer wrote:
    dpebbleson wrote:
    I have been racking my brain trying to choose a Best Gaius word of wisdom and it has been under my nose this whole time!
    Lol, I completely forgot about that one too!

Another favorite of mine is from 1x03: "An easy solution is like a light in a storm, Merlin. Rush for it at your peril for it may not always lead you to a safe harbor."

For the worst, I agree with LD.

ForeverArwen94

[612]Jun 29, 2012

Topic for this week: Best and Worst Character Arc. In other words, which characters have received the best (and worst) character development throughout the show?

LizzyGlue

[613]Jul 1, 2012
    • level: 20

Best

Uther. Such a well written character! I don't see Uther "progress" during the show, but with each episode where he was featured, I find I discovered more about him and understood him better. I can't help admiring all his extremes and contradictions, his iron fist in his rule, his vulnerability when it comes to his son and his "ward". He's the most complex and best written character to me. With all his failings, I could never totally dislike such a character or fail to understand (while sometimes disagreeing with) his opinions and decisions. I do miss the added texture and subtlety that ASH brought to the character and the series.

Merlin. He's grown into a more realistic, assertive person, has let go of his naiveté from prior series and has grown more powerful at long last. He's shown that he's able to dispatch an unredeemable foe like Aggravaine without a second thought, something he only did at the end of S1 when he killed Nimueh out of vengeance when he thought she'd killed Gaius. That may not be a quality but I find it a credible dark trait to his character and I find it realistic for him to show some ruthlessness considering the context of his life and trials. We now see him express his opinions and advice to Arthur, even when they are not welcome and with more insistence. He has embraced his key role as advisor to Arthur.

Arthur. Third, because of the inconsistencies in his moral character, whenever TPTB wish to achieve a certain purpose in a storyline. But when I ignore those, I find they did a good job with his character's progress. He is finally "in charge" and appears to have needed time to settle into his new rule. We knew he had the great qualities to be king, yet seeing him struggle with the tough decisions before behaving like the natural leader he is, in a context of family loss and betrayal, political uncertainty, and the Spector of war with neighboring realms was well done.

Worst

Morgana. Her psychological metamorphosis as she emerged in S3 was so sudden and inconsistent with the way she had been written and TPTB provided us with little to make us really understand how she got from point A to B (I won't repeat what has been said time and again about it already) that she makes the least credible villain in the show for me. Still, she could have made a more credible villain had her volte-face been less extreme, less evil for the sake of being evil, but remained revenge oriented. Also, she's still an isolated villain at the end of S4, all alliances always fail her. Her magic is stronger but has not afforded her a real lasting advantage yet against Camelot.

Aggravaine: He was in every S4 episode and I never really got to know him or his motivations. All I've learned from the show is that he is dangerous, shrewd, ruthless, loyal… and rather creepy .

boom-moo

[614]Jul 1, 2012
    Just a quick post to mention that ForeverArwen94 has asked to be added back to the list as she'll be able to take her turns from now on. The turns go as follows:
    -boom-moo (Esther)
    -dpebbleson (Danko)
    -ACDiNosey (Anne-Claire)
    -illegalferret (Sarah)
    -pcdsa (Trish)
    -legend-dreamer
    -fantasyfreak77 (Oz)
    -ForeverArwen94
    -LizzyGlue (Carmen).

Please everyone, carry on sending pm reminders to the person after you so the turns keep going nicely. Thank you

ForeverArwen94

[615]Jul 6, 2012

I agree with Carmen about Uther being one of the best developed characters in the show. While he didn't really make any progress towards accepting magic, his character always acted on the same values and beliefs. I think the writers did a good job of keeping him in character throughout; he didn't do things that suddenly seemed not to fit his character.

As for worst, Agravaine tops the list for me, if only because his entire motive for overthrowing Arthur was concealed, never revealed, and then tossed away as if it didn't matter. Also, I feel like Gwaine has been badly written as a character during his time on the show, especially from series 3 to 4, he almost acted a completely different personaltogether.

LizzyGlue

[616]Jul 7, 2012

I found Gwaine consistent and interesting in S3, I believe he was not used to his or Eon's potential in S4 but TPTB have a way of surprising us with this series so I'm hoping for more of good old, well balanced Gwaine

This week topic: Favorite / least favorite outfit or costume worn in a fight or in combat.

My favorite overall is King Cenred's most pleasing and practical leather clad gear with 2 swords, no less.

Least favorite, Isolde's costume looked good on the actress but had no protection for her, though she was an experienced fighter. It was odd to see her traveling with people wearing layers of clothes (including Tristan) and keeping warm at night by a fire, when she wore such a light outfit. It was a bit too unusual in the context for me.

Creepiest for me, The black wraith and the faceless knights of Medhir.

Funniest for me was Arthur's ordinary villager look in The sword in the stone. It was so unlike the look I'm used to for the fighting machine that he is, that it is burned in my mind. Every blow he struck I was afraid the tight clothes would rip

boom-moo

[617]Jul 7, 2012
    I agree that Cenred's leather outfit is quite "pleasing to the senses" and its combination with his two swords crossed at the back makes it really original and extremely cool, definitely my favourite when it comes to the weaponry.

Merlin dressed as a knight of Camelot is my favourite when it comes to the unusual (also in the unusual category, Arthur as a simpleton, Morgana in her underdress and Morgause in male outfit).

Least favourite... Percival's chainmail. Not that I mind (at all!) staring at his "guns" but it's pretty ridiculous to me. I also dislike hightly the front fastening.

LizzyGlue

[618]Jul 10, 2012

boom-moo wrote:
    Least favourite... Percival's chainmail. Not that I mind (at all!) staring at his "guns" but it's pretty ridiculous to me. I also dislike hightly the front fastening.
    Oh dear, BM! I had totally forgotten about that. It really does look ridiculous. It makes Percy the odd man out, so to speak.

boom-moo

[619]Jul 14, 2012
    This week's discussion topic is: Best and Worst Love Scene.

legend-dreamer

[620]Jul 14, 2012

The Worst Love Scene would be with Uther and the Troll. Just the thought of Uther (or anyone else) being in bed with a Troll makes me cringe.

For Best Love Scene it would be the picnic between Arthur and Gwen from 3x10. It was a nice, quiet romantic moment for them (away from the confining walls of Camelot) where they were able to fully be themselves with each other.