Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

The Best and Worst of "MERLIN"

ACDiNosey

[621]Jul 14, 2012
    • level: 28
    I can't stand the gwen/Lancelot scene in 2x04. It's so contrived it makes me cringe. To be honest, I can't say I'm keen on the early Arthur/Gwen love scene or the Merlin/Freya ones. I think the show does better at bromance than it does at love stories.

I'll have to think about my favourite...
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

boom-moo

[622]Jul 16, 2012
    • level: 75
    Well, I'm all up for small gestures so I've picked some examples (sorry, bear with me):
    -2x04: Lancelot getting out of the way upon learning that Arthur has feelings for Gwen.
    -2x08: Arthur and Ygraine's tight hug.
    -2x09: Merlin's magical trick to make Freya feel better (the dancing candles and the rose).
    -2x10: Arthur, a rose and a note waiting for Gwen at her home.
    -2x12: Arthur carrying an unconscious Gwen to Morgana's bed and brushing aside a lock of hair from her face.
    -3x02: The look they share while everyone is busy preparing the castle for the siege.
    -3x05: Arthur comforting Gwen after learning that Morgana is gravelly ill.
    -3x06: Arthur wondering if loving Gwen is really that insane and how he'd rather be insane than miserable. -3x07: Arthur telling Gwen that she doesn't need to be afraid of the sounds of the forest because she's got him.
    -3x09: Gaius having kept Alice's letter and lock of hair for so many years.
    -3x10: Arthur breaking free from the guards that hold him when Gwen is being taken away to kiss her and tell her that he will always love her (not really that small of a gesture though).
    -3x12: The first thing that Arthur does upon arrival to Camelot (that has been taken by Cenred) being checking Gwen's house.
    -4x01: Arthur stealing a smile from Gwen by making her recall the first time they kissed.
    -4x05: Arthur picking up some wild flowers to offer to Gwen as an apology.
    -4x08: Arthur won't stop looking for Gwen even if he has to ride day and night.
    -4x09: Arthur staging a simple and romantic setting in her home so that Gwen feels comfortable when he proposes to her.
    Arthur dismissing everyone from the council room when Gwen is brought before him, sparing her a public humiliation, and his negative to have her remain on her knees when he questions her. Also, apologizing to her when he loses his temper.
    -4x11: Gwen finding comfort in wearing Arthur's engagement ring on a string around her neck. Arthur putting an end to the hunting party when he finds Gwen's ring in the forest.
    -4x13: Tristan kissing a dead Isolde.

But since I have to pick up one (hard as it is) for the best I'm going with 2x13: Arthur pressing Gwen's hand to his heart while she dresses the wound that the dragon inflicted him when he saved her life. I really love they way they look at each other and how words aren't needed at all. As for the worst, I'd say 2x05: Catrina's blatant advances on a reluctant Uther (although I love how he turns her down on the account of the loving memory of Ygraine).

ACDiNosey

[623]Jul 23, 2012
    This week's topic (brought to you late thanks to my Swiss cheese brain) is Best/Worst Eye Candy.

Eye Candy is anything that was clearly meant to be a treat for the fans, whether it worked or not... (luscious hair, pretty costumes (or absence thereof), clever scene direction, etc. etc.)

Have fun

ForeverArwen94

[624]Jul 23, 2012
    • level: 3

I think the picnic scene in Queen of Hearts as best eye candy, because I think the scene direction and dressing makes it very beautiful and nice to watch.

I think that Gwen's cleavage revealing dresses that began to appear in series 4 top the worst list for me. I thought they didn't go with her character and were only put in for the viewers. A close second is the random Bradley topless shots they began inserting into scenes at the start of series 2, as well as the pantless moments in series 4.

boom-moo

[625]Jul 23, 2012
    Best: Colin's chest display in 1x01 just because it's the only one we've seen of him.

Worst: Bradley's pantless scenes, cringe worthy even from my shallow lady's point of view..

legend-dreamer

[626]Jul 23, 2012
    • level: 13
    Best: Topless Gwaine in 4x12.

Worst: Gwen's cleavage in Series 4.

fantasyfreak77

[627]Jul 24, 2012
    • level: 14
    Best: Colin's toplessness in 1x01 (no contest )

Worst: I agree with LD and ForeverArwen about Gwen's cleavage.

LizzyGlue

[628]Jul 24, 2012
    • level: 20

Best: the grand entrance, lighting, costumes and fairy tale look and feel of 3x10's crowning scene gets me every timeHERE

Worst: Definitely Gwen's cleavage

dpebbleson

[629]Aug 2, 2012
    • level: 23
    Morgana by herself is the best eye-candy; I also like Gwen's cleavage in "The Curse of Cornelius Sigan" when she falls upon Arthur, one of the earliest scenes.

This thread is sleepy, am I free to post a new category on Saturday?

boom-moo

[630]Aug 2, 2012
    dpebbleson wrote:
    This thread is sleepy, am I free to post a new category on Saturday?
    AC took your turn last Sat so you can retake it indeed

dpebbleson

[631]Aug 4, 2012
    • level: 23
    A belated thanks!

Anyways, what I propose as the next topic is somewhat different from what my topics so far. If I'm correct, most of the topics so far were related to what had already transpired in the show. However, looking back to what has occurred in the story and with the characters necessarily involves looking forward to what might happen, or what we think might happen - what we fear, cheerfully expect might happen. Let us talk about our expectations of the coming series 5, in terms of the most welcome ones, and the least welcome ones. Of your positive expectations, which are your favourites? Of all your anxieties about the future seasons, which are the most unpleasant to you - which would you not like to happen at all? Fifth series is the only one confirmed so far, but we can also let imagination loose: e.g. what one could fear of happening in S5 would, if "Merlin" gets renewed, become welcome in S6 when the context would be much better.

Hence, the title of the topic is Best and Worst Expectations and Anxieties of the Future of "Merlin".

Please note that this is a spoiler-free area, and that this is not a place for your predictions, but for stating what you would most like to happen, and vice versa, based on what you have watched so far, and not on what you have read in the Spoilers thread. Hence the point is not in being realistic, but being honest in what we expect from the show.

Enjoy!

---

As for myself, what I've been expecting ever since S2 is the Reveal. Another positive thing that I would very much like to see is some sort of a shift in Morgana's character, a redemption of some sort. Among the favourite things I would like to see is also more info on Nimueh and the whole backstory. I would also like to see Morgause back, at least in some form. These are the best of my hopes. What are the worst of my fears, having in mind previous seasons, is that Merlin's secret might not be revealed; that Morgana's behaviour will remain the same.

LizzyGlue

[632]Aug 4, 2012

I'm with you, Danko. I wish to see redemption for Morgana, not necessarily in S5, but lets say, before the end of the show. I also wish for Lancelot's name to be cleared or at least, to see some steps taken by his friends towards the effort of clearing him .

I'd hate to see Gwen's role become "decorative" and would like to see her have some official duties in the future. Also, I'd hate to see a "reset" of any kind regarding Merlin's powers that clearly grew stronger in S-4.

ForeverArwen94

[633]Aug 4, 2012
    • level: 3
    LizzyGlue wrote:

I'm with you, Danko. I wish to see redemption for Morgana, not necessarily in S5, but lets say, before the end of the show. I also wish for Lancelot's name to be cleared or at least, to see some steps taken by his friends towards the effort of clearing him .

I'd hate to see Gwen's role become "decorative" and would like to see her have some official duties in the future. Also, I'd hate to see a "reset" of any kind regarding Merlin's powers that clearly grew stronger in S-4.

I completely agree with all of this I really dread a reveal, that it somehow will be forgotten, and everyone else will go back to not knowing. I also fear a bad ending for the show, like some type of lame cop-out or something. (Cause I'm just cynical enough to think TPTB could do that )

xxEsterr

[634]Aug 5, 2012
    • level: 9

oh yes the reveal is definitely no. 1 on my list (when it's done properly though) even if it's any reveal to a friend, probably Gwen or Gwaine as they seem closest to him, but I so so so want Arthur to find out.... and that he will be pissed off for a bit (at least I would be if I find out a friend was lying to me all those years) and Merlin is banished from Camelot and so he'll return to Ealdor, so we can finally see Hunith again, but then Arthur comes to his senses and realise he can't live without him and then he goes to find him, but got captured and then Merlin somehow gets that news and he goes and finds Arthur and saves him, by using magic.
    And they lived happily ever after.

What can I say I have a weird mind and I just loooove those cushion-clinched-under-arms-saying-awwww-scenes

oh and Pendragon babies yes plural (Merlin will probably have to babysit them hehe)

worst... (an attempt) to take over Camelot, I'm sure there are other storylines!

Edited on 08/05/2012 3:11pm
    Edited 2 total times.

illegalferret

[635]Aug 10, 2012
    • level: 25

I also would love to see the reveal happen in series, i'm not overly confident it will happen but it would be nice if it did!! Worst fear: another character like Agravaine who Merlin knows is a villain but can't/won't tell Arthur!

Ok i know it's a day early but i'm out all day tomorrow and didn't want to forget! So this weeks topic is Best or Worst thing you've learnt whilst watching Merlin. I mean "learnt" in a joking way, e.g. The best place to hide in Camelot is a cupboard or that Camelot's dungeons are so secure no-one could possibly escape from there... See the "Things we've learnt watching Merlin" Thread for inspiration

ACDiNosey

[636]Aug 10, 2012
    That's easy, Sarah : Camelot guards are useless at their job!
    Oh, and wearing a cloak makes you invisible...

legend-dreamer

[637]Aug 10, 2012
    • level: 13
    Best thing I have learned from Merlin is that a half decent servant is hard to come by.

illegalferret

[638]Aug 12, 2012
    • level: 25

The best thing i've learnt is that Merlin knows nothing about magic!

LizzyGlue

[639]Aug 12, 2012

You can hope, but you'll rarely get a straight answer from Kilgharrah!

boom-moo

[640]Aug 12, 2012
    Arthur is extremely fond of his chainmail.