We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

The Best and Worst of "MERLIN"

boom-moo

[701]Oct 23, 2012
    • level: 75
    More or less in line with what Carmen said.

Best:

3x08:
    Merlin: Why do you want to do this?
    Gwaine: Same reason as you. Help a friend. Merlin: Arthur's lucky to have us.
    Gwaine: Not Arthur.
    Merlin: I'd do the same for you.
    Gwaine: I hope so. You're the only friend I've got.
    Merlin: I'm not surprised.

Worst:

I don't mind Gwaine's funny remarks or his comic relief scenes (some are funny indeed and Eoin is great at delivering one-liners) but I don't like that we didn't get to see much of the Merlin/Gwaine friendship after series 3.
    Edited on 10/23/2012 11:25am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

FrancesWebb

[702]Oct 24, 2012
    • level: 1
    Worst:

4x06
    Old Merlin: (to Gwaine) You are not what you seem.
    Gwaine: What is he talking about? I've a good mind to run you through right now.

I don't like this moment because I don't like the idea that Gwaine is the kind of guy to threaten to kill someone to protect his secrets, or that he has any secrets important enough to kill over. The only secret I know of is his noble father, but I'm not even sure why that is important anymore once he has found a king in Arthur who respects him for himself.

LizzyGlue

[703]Oct 26, 2012
    • level: 20

This week's topic is your favorite / least favorite Merlin & Morgana moments.

dpebbleson

[704]Oct 27, 2012
    • level: 24
    Interesting topic. My favourite Merlin & Morgana moment has to be the one when Merlin poisons her, but at the same time it's the least favourite. It's quite dark and is an example of a drastic step that Merlin had to take. I wonder how come Morgana never told Arthur about it - or someone else...

boom-moo

[705]Oct 27, 2012
    dpebbleson wrote:
    I wonder how come Morgana never told Arthur about it - or someone else...
    I guess that's because Morgause was to blame for using Morgana in such a fashion. I guess that Morgana must have realized that much and telling about the poisoning also entailed the first part of the story: her plotting with Morgause to bring down Uther.

Best: 2x03 Morgana going to Merlin about her magic and putting him between the devil and the deep blue sea.
    Worst: 4x06: Morgana keeping Merlin captive and torturing him.

dpebbleson

[706]Oct 27, 2012
    boom-moo wrote:
    dpebbleson wrote:
    I wonder how come Morgana never told Arthur about it - or someone else...
    I guess that's because Morgause was to blame for using Morgana in such a fashion. I guess that Morgana must have realized that much and telling about the poisoning also entailed the first part of the story: her plotting with Morgause to bring down Uther.

That makes sense. What baffles me is how she never used an opportunity to tell that in S4 when she was openly against them, but then again, it could have been a bit to melodramatic

ACDiNosey

[707]Oct 27, 2012
    • level: 28
    My favourite scene is the one where Merlin poisons Morgana. Aesthetically and emotionally, it is up there with the best. Merlin in the forefront, crying for making a difficult decision while Morgana is choking in the background is brilliantly done. I love that the moral dilemma and the chiasm thus created between those two characters is made obvious through the scene and the acting.

Worst for me is probably the torture scene too. I don't like the pleasure Morgana gets in hurting others, I don't mind so much if she wants to get the throne of Camelot or getting revenge from Uther, but enjoying torturing and killing people is another matter altogether.

boom-moo

[708]Oct 27, 2012
    dpebbleson wrote:
    That makes sense. What baffles me is how she never used an opportunity to tell that in S4 when she was openly against them, but then again, it could have been a bit to melodramatic
    If I should hazard a guess, probably the same reason why the Camelot guards never see anyone sneaking in and out of the castle

LizzyGlue

[709]Nov 1, 2012
    • level: 20

I hope this works, the site is tricky with me this week

The best dramatic moment for me is definitely the poison scene as well, but my favorite moment for them is the scene where Morgana thinks he's in love with Gwen and keeps making allusions to a dumbfounded Merlin in S1.

The torture in S4*shudders* horrible, closely followed for me by Morgana telling him in 3x01 that she saw the error of her ways and regretted what she had done, and the sweet Merlin believed her, he looked so glad to have her back.

boom-moo

[710]Nov 3, 2012
    This week's topic is Best and Worst recurring character (main cast, the Knights of the Round Table and Kilgharrah don't fall into this category).

ACDiNosey

[711]Nov 3, 2012
    I really like Mithian for some reason and
    ***SPOILER***
    The worst to me is probably the troll... I count her as recurring as she was in 2 eps...

boom-moo

[712]Nov 6, 2012
    Character wise I like Hunith and Geoffrey of Monmouth a lot, they are my favs. Acting wise (wish we knew more about the characters) I was very impressed by the actresses playing Ygraine and Sefa.

My least favourite one is Jonas.

dpebbleson

[713]Nov 10, 2012
    This week's topic is "Best and Worst Potion"

I think the best might be the one in 'The Labyrinth of Gedref', it didn't have terrible taste, it did nothing but was actually a test of humanity

The worst might be the one Queen Trolltrina used, especially it's despicable taste

ACDiNosey

[714]Nov 10, 2012
    Just because of the reaction it procured, I really like the one Arthur and Merlin took to see Uther in 5x03

boom-moo

[715]Nov 16, 2012
    dpebbleson wrote:
    The worst might be the one Queen Trolltrina used, especially it's despicable taste
    I guess so, the list of ingredients is absolutely gross!

I'm fond of the one involving the morteaus flower if anything for all the drama associated to it.

ACDiNosey

[716]Nov 16, 2012
    This week's topic is
    Best and Worst building...
    Out of all the castles, towers, houses, taverns, hovels, etc... We have seen so far, which were you favourites and why?

boom-moo

[717]Nov 17, 2012
    Pierrefonds (Camelot castle) is the best one because it is truly beautiful. Castle Coch (Princess Elena's castle) is also a thing of beauty.

As for the worst I don't know. The things that come to mind are sets and not real buildings as such and I really like all the locations. I guess Jarl's castle/fortress in 3x12 (or hole in the ground more like) could compute (although Chepstow Castle is nice otherwise).

ACDiNosey

[718]Nov 18, 2012
    I personally loved the throne room in Rodor's castle (I think) with the sort of Ottoman type columns and things. I agree that Pierrefonds is really nice... I particularly like the balcony view we seldom get...

illegalferret

[719]Nov 25, 2012
    • level: 25

A thousand apologies if this one has been done before, but i lack the imagination in this thread that my friends have

So for this week lets have Best and Worst Morgana's Plan to bring down Arthur/Camelot

boom-moo

[720]Nov 28, 2012
    I think that the best was simply going for it (The Crystal Cave) and kill Uther herself. Hard to tell about the worst... maybe The Sorcerer's Shadow. It was clever to tease Uther into taking part but she should have guessed that neither Arthur nor Uther would have killed each other despite the tourney's rules.