Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

The Best and Worst of "MERLIN"

dpebbleson

[721]Nov 29, 2012
    • level: 23
    I quite liked the plots of "The Darkest Hour", "The Crystal Cave"; I also liked "The Fires of Idirsholas" (must be the best episode ever), even though it was mostly Morgause's plot.

Out of the not-so-good ones, well, yeah "The Sorcerer's Shadow", and generally all other episodes of S4 & S5 since she's pretty much the sole schemer, and her schemes have become somewhat repetitive.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

legend-dreamer

[722]Nov 30, 2012
    • level: 13
    I know we have 4 more episodes left of Merlin Series 5 left but this was the only topic that came to mind. Out of all 5 Series of Merlin, what is the Best/Worst Series and why. (ie. what episode(s) cause you to think that way) Enjoy.

LizzyGlue

[723]Dec 4, 2012
    • level: 20

For me, it's S1 because of The Poisoned Chalice and the Labyrinth of Gedref and because of the consistency.

I find these are the episodes that showed us the heart Merlin and Arthur as well as the lengths they could go to, to do what needs to be done.

Of course, I like that S-1 has none of the inconsistencies that started to bother me since the end en S-2. It's the series that established the show's promise and potential for me.

Edited on 12/04/2012 8:15pm

fantasyfreak77

[724]Dec 4, 2012
    • level: 14

OMG, this is a TOUGH one, LD!

There are episodes that shone in each season...just as there were some that didn't excite me much, but, despite the fact that one of my favorite episodes is 2x01, favorite season overall is a tie between s4 and s5.

I like s4 because there was a lot of growth in Arthur's character, and watching him grow into the King and man Merlin saw in him was just lovely. Both Merlin and Arthur really started to grow into their roles as the Once and Future King and the Emrys, and I particularly liked that we really began to see just how much Arthur values Merlin's advice. And though this is practically true of every season, the humor in s4 was epic.

s5 is proving to incredibly full of angst, whump, and BAMFness that just makes me grin like no other. Not only that, but Arthur and Merlin's relationship has seriously grown leaps and bounds. There were multiple points when my breath was taken away by the beauty and amazing quality of their bromance (i.e. the handshake in "The Dark Tower," Arthur's immediate decision to release Merlin from the dungeons because he trusted that it wasn't him in the episode following, Arthur nearly cutting off his arm in 5x09 just because he was afraid that Merlin was dead, etc.). Not only that, but Morgana's insanity makes her a more believable villain, and MORDRED. I LOVE HIM. SO MUCH. This season, also, has not had one episode that I thought was a filler. Each had a purpose, and each of them was significant. AND THE BUILD-UP TO THE REVEAL. I think that be all from me for now.

Edited on 12/04/2012 8:52pm
    Edited 2 total times.

illegalferret

[725]Dec 5, 2012
    • level: 25

This is tough!

Ok...um series 1 is important as without it, there'd be no Merlin! Episodes 7-13 of series 2 are all amazing!! Witchfinder,Sins, lady in the Lake, Sweet Dreams (destiny and chicken ), Witch's quickening, Fires, Last of the Dragon Lords. They are all brilliant but the reset and some of the earlier episode in that series aren't great. Series 3, is the one i can recall episodes the least well, i was very busy completing my degree at the time so despite having it on DVD it's the series i've seen least often. 4 was book ended by 2 fantastic 2 parters and had some very solid episodes in between. As for 5, well it's been brilliant so far, I'm enjoying the darker tone and i've loved nearly every episode.

Hmm, ok none that that really helps me pick a favourite out right so it's a toss up for me between the 2nd half of series 2 and series 5 so far.

dpebbleson

[726]Dec 6, 2012
    For me, pretty much all season have been good in some way, so I'll have to choose by the level of anticipation with me. I remember anticipating S2 quite eagerly; that's also the season in which I joined this forum, although at its very end; so besides liking the season, I also liked the discussions we had. It was followed by a very interesting. As itself S2 is my favourite because it was a jump in everything. The show itself became better and better in writing and production and acting as the seasons progressed, but somehow the hugest jump was achieved in S2. It has "The Fires of Idirsholas", "The Last Dragonlord", "The Sins of the Father", "Sweet Dreams", (as Sarah has already mentioned - "destiny and chicken"). It has light and dark quite skillfully mixed. And it isn't crowded. As much as I appreciate the Knights of the Round table, and they are a natural addition, somehow I've always liked the simplicity of the four young actors plus two older ones.

So S2 it is; but also last couple of episodes of S1; the middle episodes of S3; opener and finale of S4; and S5 is yet to be evaluated, I guess.

fantasyfreak77

[727]Dec 9, 2012
    • level: 14

So sorry this is late!

This week's topic: Most Disappointing Episode

boom-moo

[728]Dec 12, 2012
    • level: 75
    I wouldn't define it as disappointing but for some reason, the one episode that always comes to my head first when I think of the least appealing is 1x06 A Remedy to Kill All Ills so I'm gonna go with that one.

On another note, legend-dreamer has asked me via pm to remove her from the list of participants in this thread so form now on the list goes as follows:

-boom-moo (Esther)

-dpebbleson (Danko)

-ACDiNosey (Anne-Claire)

-illegalferret (Sarah)

-pcdsa (Trish)

-legend-dreamer

-fantasyfreak77 (Oz)

-ForeverArwen94

-LizzyGlue (Carmen)

dpebbleson

[729]Dec 13, 2012
    I remember I wasn't much impressed with "Valiant", it wasn't much good as far as I'm concerned. Then again, disappointment means some expectations betrayed, and in that sense some later episode should do better. In that sense, I think "The Sorcerer's Shadow" was somewhat disappointing because it was just before S3 finale, and didn't do anything for the story.

illegalferret

[730]Dec 13, 2012

Esther, thanks for posting that list I always forget where it fit in to it all!

Most disappointing episode, probably Goblin's Gold only 'coz the start of series 3 was all dark, moody and serious, with a now evil Morgana and then the next episode was just silly, so it was a bit of a let down. I'm also not fond of Valient or A remedy to cure all ills, but they were all back in series 1 when my expectations weren't that high.

boom-moo

[731]Dec 13, 2012
    illegalferret wrote:

It's at the end of post #1

Not too impressed with Goblin's Gold either but Uther's hat and Gaius "massaging Uther's scalp" save the day every time

illegalferret

[732]Dec 13, 2012

boom-moo wrote:
    illegalferret wrote:

It's at the end of post #1

Total fail on my behalf

LizzyGlue

[733]Dec 13, 2012

4x09 Lancelot du Lac was the most disappointing episode for me. The unnecessary attack on Lancelot and Gwen's honor was too much for me, to say nothing of seeing a beloved character die tarnished and for the 3rd time . The worse, though, was the lack of effort from Merlin to remedy the wrong to his friend's name.

4x11 The sorcerer's shadow really did nothing for me. I rather disliked Gilli and hated to have an empty debate about the use of magic in an episode that did not advance the story arc. I never like an episode that is more centered on a guest character than the hero. This one was too Gilli-centric for me.

5x10 The Hollow Queen was such a copy / paste version of the Morgause-Morgana sneaking-off scenes and dialogue that it was plain boring to watch.

ACDiNosey

[734]Dec 14, 2012
    • level: 28
    I'm really not keen on the nightmare begins and The witch's quickening.
    I agree with BM on goblin's gold. Uther's head saves the episode for me too.

LizzyGlue

[735]Dec 14, 2012

ForeverArwen is skipping her turn. This week's topic is your Favorite suspended disbelief moments

Things in the show that make you shake your head, do a double take, laugh or all of the above because they don't fit or they are unrealistic.

legend-dreamer

[736]Dec 16, 2012
    • level: 13

One thing that makes me laugh are the beer cans on Hengist's table n 2x04. It is a land of myth and time of magic but that really stood out.

Edited on 12/16/2012 3:45pm

LizzyGlue

[737]Dec 17, 2012

The Bavaria beer cans are a favorite of mine, of course.

My main point "moments" have to be when ceiling fixtures never fail to fall on the bad guys whenever Arthur gets in trouble and Merlin is around, but no one ever acts surprised.

Still it makes for good fun in the show.

Edited on 12/17/2012 2:35pm

illegalferret

[738]Dec 19, 2012

Those beer cans were a classic!

For me though it has to be that no ever hears Merlin saying, sometimes shouting magical spells or calling the Dragon!

dpebbleson

[739]Dec 19, 2012
    illegalferret wrote:

Those beer cans were a classic!

For me though it has to be that no ever hears Merlin saying, sometimes shouting magical spells or calling the Dragon!

Exactly! He's shouting like a maniac, as if it mattered to the Dragon being leagues away

Of course, Bavaria beer cans must be classic, but also how half of the magic world knows that Merlin is Emrys and Morgana still has troubles finding it out.

boom-moo

[740]Dec 19, 2012
    To say something different, the absolute incompetence of Camelot guards is also very worthy.